Strangers in my dreams

Discuss alternative healing (Yoga, Reflexology) and self-help type books for the mind and thoughts for the soul.
jennyswan

Strangers in my dreams

Post by jennyswan »

Me again, sorry if this is getting old but honestly I'm living another life while I sleep.

I have lucid dreams a lot, at least once a night. The level of control is always different. Anyway, I was talking about this to my sister and she has the same thing. She says this has been happening to her since years.

Now the latest thing is that I keep meeting up with my dead relatives and they are trying to give me some kind of messages but I get so freaked when I realise they are dead I immediately wake up.

The other new thing is that now I'll look for a mirror in my dream to see 'who I am?? I can see my reflection but it's mostly not me. Sometimes I'm very surprised to see that I'm male.

Can somebody explain what I'm doing wrong. Am I eating too late going to bed or something? My mom says that I will have to learn to live with it, it's happened to her all her life???

Anybody??
Yavanna

Strangers in my dreams

Post by Yavanna »

Doing wrong? In what sense? (Hi Jennyswan, btw)

A mirror in your dream can be a way of trying to explore other parts of your personality that you may not be in touch with or which frighten you. For example, seeing yourself as male could simply be (I say "simply", hah) some masculine traits in your personality which are repressed etc.

We all have traits that are considered masculine and feminine, based on our Western concept of what men and women are about. Sometimes, our society tells us that it's "unfeminine" to behave in certain ways - but our nature's will force themselves on our attention.

Just a thought.

As to dead relatives trying to tell you things. If these are lucid dreams, you can control them, right? Can you control your fear enough to wait and see what they say? If they are truly frightening experiences, I'd wonder if there's something else going on and you're frightened generally ie when awake?
jennyswan

Strangers in my dreams

Post by jennyswan »

Hi Yavanna and thank you.

I will try and stay asleep the next time and see what they have to say. It's only a dream right?

I used to have this a lot as a child and I remember freaking everyone out after predicting my granny was going to die. I was told the usual, you'r making it up, don't say that again etc so I managed to shut it off for a while.

The weird thing is that sometimes I will be so conscious in the dream that I will be looking around exploring etc and then I will see some people and I will walk right up to their faces and look at them and sometimes I will recognise them for someone I know now only that they look completely different. (Sounds silly doesn't it?)

I might be just reading too much. It all started about 2 years ago.

I was diagnosed with panic disorder about 4 years ago but I cope really well now and am hardly ever anxiety ridden or anything. Maybe it's all linked. I would love a good nights sleep though and just not dream at all.

Sorry I'm getting a bit longwinded :o
OpenMind

Strangers in my dreams

Post by OpenMind »

Seems to me, Jenny, that you're going to have to learn to live with this. Funny, some people would die to have this lucid dreaming ability.

I suggest something similar to Yavanna. Go with it. Learn to relax and treat it as an exploration. Remember to relax. Stress and panic will tire you out, not the dream.

It occurs to me that you and your family has a very special gift. It just requires you to explore the gift to see what you can do with it.
Yavanna

Strangers in my dreams

Post by Yavanna »

jennyswan wrote:

I was diagnosed with panic disorder about 4 years ago

Ah well, I often think panic is an appropriate reaction to the world :rolleyes: It's just very...invconvenient, given the world is always going to be a stressful place.

You say you're hardly ever panic-ridden now ; could it be that your anxieties have "gone underground" and are re-surfacing in your dreams? I'm not suggesting that your dreams aren't important and intuitive - it's just that I believe in eliminating the obvious before thinking about the metaphysical!

I think openmind is right ; I wonder if you've ever tried meditation or breathing excercises? I used to do Iyangar yoga, and after an hour of really intense movement, we all used to lie on the floor - half would fall asleep and half would go off into some lovely meditation. It might help to try meditation, although the teacher is very important (there are a lot of charlatans and weirdos out there).
jhwty42

Strangers in my dreams

Post by jhwty42 »

Hi Jenny,

it is very interesting what happens to you. I remember from my childhood dreams what great feeling is to have control over your actions in a dream. Most often in my dreams I tried to convince other personalities that we're all dreaming but somehow they didn't seem to understand me...

I think you are very sensitive person and your story reminds me of my favourite poet W.B. Yeats also irish. Seems to me that people of Ireland have great and beautiful connection with their land and strong taste of what someone call "collective memory" and maybe that's one of the reason you meet your ancestors in your dream. The other reason ofcourse is your sensuality which makes you accept their attemts for contact. That is really a blessing although maybe its sometimes hard to live with it. If I can encourage you with this I'll share that all of the great women-oracles in Ancient Greece was chosen for their high emotionality. So you should know - you are very special person. Wish you peaceful dreams and strong life.

Dimitar

Return to “Body, Mind, Soul”