Irish Family Names Research

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

:yh_shamrk :yh_shamrk What's your name? What was your mother called? And her mother? What was your father's mother's name? Most of us know at least a few of the surnames that make up the heritage of our own families.

And I know that many of you will not want to reveal such here, but for that - one can Pm me and I will do my best to help in any way I can.

Irish, Scots & English names.

There are many many Irish people now researching their own roots here in Ireland, and its just amazing what they have found, some have even discovered that their grandparents were English or even French. A new and very interesting world has opened up for many. :yh_shamrk

NO Messers Please
koan

Post by koan »

I come from Kennedy that married Connors that married Davison. Yikes the British wed the Irish. No wonder I want to blow myself up on occasion. :wah: (just joshing)
Lon

Post by Lon »

Tanner------Hornbuckle------Mc Farland----Sterling
gmc

Post by gmc »

What makes it harder is that many of the names, especially gaelic ones when written down were spelled phonetically and the pronounciation altered to make them easier to say. ch for instance, most english speakers can't pronounce words like loch or lochaber properly. names like michael for instance, unless i stop and think about it i tend not to say it with the ch sounding like a k. The glottal stop is another regional aberration

Same with spanish and norman names, a lot were altered to make them easier to pronounce. It's when you start digging in to names you begin to appreciate what mongrel nations we all are. All the tribes mixing together. Makes extreme nationalism and ethnic cleansing even more silly than it is already.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

gmc wrote: What makes it harder is that many of the names, especially gaelic ones when written down were spelled phonetically and the pronounciation altered to make them easier to say. ch for instance, most english speakers can't pronounce words like loch or lochaber properly.

That's easy, it's pronounced "ch", *not* "ch"!

gmc wrote: names like michael for instance, unless i stop and think about it i tend not to say it with the ch sounding like a k. The glottal stop is another regional aberration.

Same in many places... the glo'al stop.

gmc wrote: Same with spanish and norman names, a lot were altered to make them easier to pronounce. It's when you start digging in to names you begin to appreciate what mongrel nations we all are. All the tribes mixing together. Makes extreme nationalism and ethnic cleansing even more silly than it is already.

The mixing is going on much, much faster now.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

koan wrote: I come from Kennedy that married Connors that married Davison. Yikes the British wed the Irish. No wonder I want to blow myself up on occasion. :wah: (just joshing)
LOL,

Kennedy, this name can be of Irish or Scottish origin. The name is very common here in Northern Ireland & Southern Ireland, in counties Antrim in the North, and Dublin and Tipperary in the South.

The name in Ireland was originally O'Kennedy, Gaelic O'Cinneide(pronounced O'Kennada.). The O'Kennedys decend from Cennedig, a nephew of Brian Boru - King of Ireland. They were very important people at that time, and indeed some time later too as many became Lords and Ladies in County Clare and County Wexford ( John Fitzgerald Kennedy US President 1917-1963, descended from a Wexford family)

As we travel to Northern Ireland, We find that these Kennedy's came from Scotland, and were probably in remote times of Irish stock. MacKennedys, as the name is very common in Dunure in Ayrshire.

John Pitt Kennedy, 1796 - 1879, colonial engineer, was born at Carndonagh in County Donegal. The great road he built from Simla in India to Tibet.

Sir Robert Kennedy, 1880, was born at Culta, in County Down, He became governor of Gambia, Western Australia,Hong Kong and Queensland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Davidson ( also Davison)

Davidson means, obviously enough 'Son of David', a personal name from the Hebrew Dawidh which meant 'beloved one'. Davison means son of Davie, a pet form of the name. The Clan Davidson or Clann Dhai (pronounced Dahe) descends from David Dhu.

Some of the Donegal branch of the family Mac Daibheid, anglicised to Davison and MacDaid, can also be found in Counties Tyrone and Derry in Northern Ireland.
persephone

Post by persephone »

I'm a decendant of the Men of Roe (?sp).

Strange they have a seat in Scotland, yet the name clearly says they are Irish.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

letha wrote: I'm a decendant of the Men of Roe (?sp).

Stay tuned
libertine

Post by libertine »

Carnahan (Kernohan and other early spellings) and Thompson..from County Antrim...far northern. i hope to travel there one day soon. Maybe trace their path back to Scotland! ;)
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

libertine wrote: Carnahan (Kernohan and other early spellings) and Thompson..from County Antrim...far northern. i hope to travel there one day soon. Maybe trace their path back to Scotland! ;) Could it be Cameron?
libertine

Post by libertine »

I have never seen CAMERON offered as an alternative spelling or surname. The only options I've seen are various spellings with the 'K' :-3
gmc

Post by gmc »

http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/blclancameron.htm

http://www.macbraveheart.co.uk/cameron/

The name is thought to be derived the Gaelic "cam-shron" meaning "crooked nose" but the earliest records show the name as "Cambron" which may indicate that it originated in Camberone (from the Gaelic "cam brun" meaning "crooked hill" - now Cameron parish) in Fife. However, there is also a Cameron placename in the outskirts of Edinburgh and in Lennox. To add to the confusion, there is a Cambron in Flanders and the Cameron coat of arms differ only in colouring from those of the family of Oudenarde, nobles in Flanders.

posted by libertine

I have never seen CAMERON offered as an alternative spelling or surname. The only options I've seen are various spellings with the 'K'

Gaelic names spelled phonetically end up with all sorts of weird spellings.

http://www.rampantscotland.com/clans/clans_index.htm

A word of warning. Don't assume this is a comprehensive or accurate list. there is a lot of pretentious claptrap and myth surrounding the clans.

posted by Letha

I'm a decendant of the Men of Roe (?sp).

The Scots were a celtic tribe that invaded what was the land of the picts from Ireland. Irish gaelic and scots gaelic are very similar (not a native speaker so I don't know how similar) so don't be surprised at the name sounding Irish

Their name became synonymous with the country. In reality Scotland's people are a mix of pict, strathclyde Britain, anglo saxon, norman (E,G, Robert de Bruce), viking and nowadays poles, italians..

posted by libertine

Carnahan (Kernohan and other early spellings) and Thompson..from County Antrim...far northern. i hope to travel there one day soon. Maybe trace their path back to Scotland!

If you are curious there is a lot you can do on line

http://www.belfastcity.gov.uk/bdm/historic.htm.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

libertine wrote: Carnahan (Kernohan and other early spellings) and Thompson..from County Antrim...far northern. i hope to travel there one day soon. Maybe trace their path back to Scotland! ;)
That Carnahan or Kerohan. Many Irish people changed the spellings of their name when they first went to the New World - USof A. What about Callaghan or Kollogan? I'll keep checking them out here.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Thompson ( also Mac Comb & Thomson)

This name is very common all over the 32 counties of Ireland, but even more so in Ulster in Counties Antrim & Down. Thomson is the prevalent form in Scotland and Thompson is the common spelling in England. However, the great majority in Southern Ireland spell it also this way. In Ulster, the name was altered from Thomson to its present English form.

However, the personal name was early borrowed into Scots Gaelic as Tomas pronounced Tomhust. The name was also anglicised as Mac Tavish, Mac Thomas, Thompson, Thomson and MacThomais MacCombas and so on.

A William Thompson, 1805-52, was a naturalist born in Belfast, son of a linen merchant.
libertine

Post by libertine »

Thanks. The Carnahans were a radical bunch, purported to be pirates in the north of Ireland. They eventually gained a little respectability, as soldiers against Mary Tudor's army. They were apparently strong Calvinists! They emigrated to Scotland and then back again. James Alexander Carnahan was reported to have 14 sons. three of whom came to the U.S. in the late 1700s.

However, the aforementioned is all tradition..I don't have a shred of documentation, except for the emigration part! And the succeeding generations.

:-5
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Let's try O'Donoghue/Lynch. Kerry and Cork. Still lots of family in the region.

Apparently they were the last clan to be subjugated under the English.

My grandfather was one of the first "Bobby Peele" Bobbies of Ireland. After the revolution the local church posted a sign on the church doors telling the parishioners not to bother him. They didn't.

My grandmother was a nurse and the community appreciated her work. Before they were married her family owned a pub in Dublin. They sold it and went to live in the country on a farm.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Lon wrote: Tanner------Hornbuckle------Mc Farland----SterlingMcFarland is Scottish
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

kensloft wrote: Let's try O'Donoghue/Lynch. Kerry and Cork. Still lots of family in the region.

Apparently they were the last clan to be subjugated under the English.

My grandfather was one of the first "Bobby Peele" Bobbies of Ireland. After the revolution the local church posted a sign on the church doors telling the parishioners not to bother him. They didn't.

My grandmother was a nurse and the community appreciated her work. Before they were married her family owned a pub in Dublin. They sold it and went to live in the country on a farm.Do you know the name of that Pub? or where in Dublin it was? O'Donoghues and Lynch is very Irish indeed. I'll check them out tomorrow and post some interesting stories for you. :driving:
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Try Crosby and Tippins. Although Crosby is a British name from County York, I believe, a group of Crosbys went to Ireland, and another to Scotland.

John Crosby is said to be buried in some famous "we think a lot of you" place. LOL. Also, there seems to be some connection with Crosby Hall in London, now a cafe? Is that right?

I know nothing about the Tippins line.

Any information on any of these branches would be fun. :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

capt_buzzard wrote: Do you know the name of that Pub? or where in Dublin it was? O'Donoghues and Lynch is very Irish indeed. I'll check them out tomorrow and post some interesting stories for you. :driving:

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Kensloft,

Donohue (also O'Donohue and O'donoghue)

Donohue, in Irish Gaelic O' Donnchadha (pronounced Donn-nah-ha), like Donaghy and MacDonagh, stems from the personal name Donagh. It is most common in every town and city in Ireland. But most common in Counties Cork,Kerry Tipperary and Cavan.

O'Donohue Clan

www.odonoghue.co.uk

www.dublinpubscene.com
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Thanks cap'n!
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Kensloft,

Lynch is very common in all counties if Ireland. (North and South). A Norman Family name by de Lench, one of the most powerful families in Galway between the years of, 1484 and 1655. They had eighty-four mayors in the city of Galway.

The name in Irish Gaelic O' Loingsigh (pronounced Lin-sheed)

http://andrewlynch.tripod.com
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

letha wrote: I'm a decendant of the Men of Roe (?sp).

McInroe is Scottish. Roe from the Gaelic Rua - Red hair. But the name can be found in County Antrim Northern Ireland.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

capt_buzzard wrote: Kensloft,

Lynch is very common in all counties if Ireland. (North and South). A Norman Family name by de Lench, one of the most powerful families in Galway between the years of, 1484 and 1655. They had eighty-four mayors in the city of Galway.

Dem damn frogs couldn't even stay out o' the ole sod? Love you brother. It's the guiness speakin'.
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

capt_buzzard wrote: Kensloft,

Had a friend that went to the U of T and he made a point of telling me that Scots were really irish people in disguise.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

gmc wrote: What makes it harder is that many of the names, especially gaelic ones when written down were spelled phonetically and the pronounciation altered to make them easier to say. ch for instance, most english speakers can't pronounce words like loch or lochaber properly. names like michael for instance, unless i stop and think about it i tend not to say it with the ch sounding like a k. The glottal stop is another regional aberration

Same with spanish and norman names, a lot were altered to make them easier to pronounce. It's when you start digging in to names you begin to appreciate what mongrel nations we all are. All the tribes mixing together. Makes extreme nationalism and ethnic cleansing even more silly than it is already. I have some Irish Gaelic :yh_shamrk
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

kensloft wrote: Had a friend that went to the U of T and he made a point of telling me that Scots were really irish people in disguise. Oh you will have to put that to gmc, our Scots man here :wah:
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

capt_buzzard wrote: I have some Irish Gaelic :yh_shamrk

If I come back and you're still here then I'll figure out that you don't know nuttin'.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

A Karenina wrote: Try Crosby and Tippins. Although Crosby is a British name from County York, I believe, a group of Crosbys went to Ireland, and another to Scotland.

John Crosby is said to be buried in some famous "we think a lot of you" place. LOL. Also, there seems to be some connection with Crosby Hall in London, now a cafe? Is that right?

I know nothing about the Tippins line.

Any information on any of these branches would be fun. :) Sorry
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

kensloft wrote: Dem damn frogs couldn't even stay out o' the ole sod? Love you brother. It's the guiness speakin'.

Lol :wah:

Attached files
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

angloandy wrote: My family name is monaghan,so good they named a county after us :)
Yeah, and where are you from?
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

capt_buzzard wrote: Yeah, and where are you from? And are you asking me for some InFo? :driving:
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

angloandy wrote: My family name is monaghan,so good they named a county after us :)

Is that "mon hag" or "a non". Damn I'se so ...?
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

kensloft wrote: Is that "mon hag" or "a non". Damn I'se so ...? ???
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Tryin' to pretend that i'm cool!
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

kensloft wrote: Tryin' to pretend that i'm cool! Oh I know that you are :cool:
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Capt, you're quite sure you've never heard of the Crosbys over there? No infamous criminals or anything? :p

Thanks for trying. :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
persephone

Post by persephone »

gmc wrote: The Scots were a celtic tribe that invaded what was the land of the picts from Ireland. Irish gaelic and scots gaelic are very similar (not a native speaker so I don't know how similar) so don't be surprised at the name sounding Irish

Their name became synonymous with the country. In reality Scotland's people are a mix of pict, strathclyde Britain, anglo saxon, norman (E,G, Robert de Bruce), viking and nowadays poles, italians.
It is an Irish name, doesn't sound Irish or Scottish to me though. It really does mean Men of Roe, as in the Roe river Derry (please except apologies for any upset caused by just saying Derry, it is the origin of the name and does not take into account political or religious differences).
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

letha wrote: It is an Irish name, doesn't sound Irish or Scottish to me though. It really does mean Men of Roe, as in the Roe river Derry (please except apologies for any upset caused by just saying Derry, it is the origin of the name and does not take into account political or religious differences). No need love, we call it Londonderry or just Derry. :driving:
minks

Post by minks »

Lon wrote: Tanner------Hornbuckle------Mc Farland----Sterling

Sterling huh well I have Sterling as well, can't say how I get there but there is a thread of the family that is such.

I have a wide variety in my background, prodominately Dobos (Hungarian) then I have Orr, and Miller, and with that all is a bit of Irish, English, Scottish and American blood so technically I am a "mutt" however proud to say I am a second generation Canadian, born to Canadian born parents, and my daughters are 3rd generation Canadians
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
LoveMama

Post by LoveMama »

my GG Grandmother Sarah Ann Davidson born in Scotland 1809

married John Aiken, had 10 children all born in Ballywalter, County Down.

I had another researcher send me the names of 5 Aikens buried there.

Might be related. :-3

xxxxo

mama
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

LoveMama wrote: my GG Grandmother Sarah Ann Davidson born in Scotland 1809

married John Aiken, had 10 children all born in Ballywalter, County Down.

I had another researcher send me the names of 5 Aikens buried there.

Might be related. :-3

xxxxo

mama Hello Again Mama.Aiken is Scottish origin. It is the Scottish form of the English name Atkin, which comes from Adkin, a pet form of Adam. There are many variant spellings. It was recorded and used interchangeably with Eakins from Scotland to Ulster in Northern Ireland over the centuries.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

minks wrote: Sterling huh well I have Sterling as well, can't say how I get there but there is a thread of the family that is such.

I have a wide variety in my background, prodominately Dobos (Hungarian) then I have Orr, and Miller, and with that all is a bit of Irish, English, Scottish and American blood so technically I am a "mutt" however proud to say I am a second generation Canadian, born to Canadian born parents, and my daughters are 3rd generation Canadians Hi Minks, Orr can be found all over the island of Ireland, but most are in Ulster, Northern Ireland in Counties Antrim,Derry,Down and Tyrone. The earliest record of the name 'Orr' was in County Tyrone in 1655. Orrville in South Carolina is named after one such family of Alexander Ector Orr 1831-1914, he was a pioneer of subways in New York city. He was born in Strabane, in County Tyrone Northern Ireland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

A Karenina wrote: Capt, you're quite sure you've never heard of the Crosbys over there? No infamous criminals or anything? :p

Thanks for trying. :) Hold your horses :-5 Its an Irish saying. I'm digging them up for you. Will post soon, stay tuned :driving:
LoveMama

Post by LoveMama »

capt_buzzard wrote: Hello Again Mama.Aiken is Scottish origin. It is the Scottish form of the English name Atkin, which comes from Adkin, a pet form of Adam. There are many variant spellings. It was recorded and used interchangeably with Eakins from Scotland to Ulster in Northern Ireland over the centuries.

Capt_buzzard. Does that mean I'm Scottish? Seriously, I mean does it?

Gosh I don't have any information on this family prior to the marriage that I listed. :-5

xxxxxooooo

mama
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

LoveMama wrote: Capt_buzzard. Does that mean I'm Scottish? Seriously, I mean does it?

Gosh I don't have any information on this family prior to the marriage that I listed. :-5

xxxxxooooo

mamaBraveHearts running through your veins;)
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Family Research Southern Ireland,Northern Ireland & UK Government Links,

Southern Ireland, www.groireland.ie/

www.igrsoc.org

www.nationalarchives.ie

Northern Ireland,

www.nifhs.org

www.proni.gov.uk

www.ulsterancestry.com

Return to “Ireland”