Senior Service Over 50s

capt_buzzard

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by capt_buzzard »

I was wondering how many over 50s members we have? And are you 'Older and Wiser today? :guitarist
CARLA

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by CARLA »

:rolleyes: Way over 50 here.. 57 to be exact..

WISER ....!! NO.. JUST OLD..!! :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

lady cop

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by lady cop »

CARLA wrote: :rolleyes: Way over 50 here.. 57 to be exact..

bollocks...Carla is not only wise, but smart and kind and caring and talented as hell. you should see the fantastic little movie she just made for me! Carla is a great lady who is also beautiful and does wonderful work for alzheimers patients.
CARLA

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by CARLA »

;) WHY THANK YOU MISS..LADYCOP your pretty darn terrific yourself..!! :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

libertine

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by libertine »

capt_buzzard wrote: I was wondering how many over 50s members we have? And are you 'Older and Wiser today? :guitarist

I must admit to being 'over 50' If Carla is 'way over' at 57, I can't even see it anymore!! :wah:

I think I am wiser, or at least more experienced. I for sure wouldn't be 25 again :-6
Lon

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Lon »

70 here Cap'n, and hopefully wiser.
gmc

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by gmc »

I will shortly be entering, like you, my physical and mental prime. :guitarist
capt_buzzard

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by capt_buzzard »

lady cop wrote: bollocks...Carla is not only wise, but smart and kind and caring and talented as hell. you should see the fantastic little movie she just made for me! Carla is a great lady who is also beautiful and does wonderful work for alzheimers patients.
Lady Cop, where did you learn that word Bollocks? Its an English and Irish word :wah:
capt_buzzard

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by capt_buzzard »

CARLA wrote: :rolleyes: Way over 50 here.. 57 to be exact..

Hi Carla, I'm the same 5..7, older,but a little wiser according to my better half. :driving:
capt_buzzard

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by capt_buzzard »

lady cop wrote: bollocks...Carla is not only wise, but smart and kind and caring and talented as hell. you should see the fantastic little movie she just made for me! Carla is a great lady who is also beautiful and does wonderful work for alzheimers patients.Language please. Its the company you keep these days:D
Bez

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Bez »

Know this is an old thread (Ha ha ha) but I've fond it interesting....another 14 months full time at work and then I'll be retired...might do part time where I work.....not sure. I feel it would be better to ease into retirement rather than waking up one morning and that's it NO WORK. Let me know how you retired folk coped.

I have lots of interests to fill my time but it IS a bit scary as it gets nearer.

Bez :-6
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
theia

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by theia »

Bez wrote: Know this is an old thread (Ha ha ha) but I've fond it interesting....another 14 months full time at work and then I'll be retired...might do part time where I work.....not sure. I feel it would be better to ease into retirement rather than waking up one morning and that's it NO WORK. Let me know how you retired folk coped.

I have lots of interests to fill my time but it IS a bit scary as it gets nearer.

Bez :-6

I shall probably stay in work til I'm at least 65, health permitting. That's if the funding remains in place for my job.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Lon

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Lon »

I retired at 58 (13 years ago). I started training at age 45 by leaving work and going to the movies in the middle of the week, and then by not working on Mondays and Fridays.
ubetta

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by ubetta »

I'm not OVER 50, just 50. Wow, I feel like such a kid! :)
chonsigirl

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by chonsigirl »

I just turned 51..............wait a minute, I'm dislexic, I'm 15.....................no, I'm 51.

Am I wiser, sure I am.

You are always young inside, and I don't really look my age, so I don't feel too bad about it. I had a hoot going back to school today in my bright green capris and shirt, and putting the younger girls to shame.

Rats, that shows I haven't gotten any wiser at all..........................
gimli3

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by gimli3 »

:lips:

Older -- wiser? -- more depressed.

But no-one wants to hear that, do they?
theia

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by theia »

gimli3 wrote: :lips:

Older -- wiser? -- more depressed.

But no-one wants to hear that, do they?

That's very true, gimli. Maybe we should look at the "darker" side of getting older and how people cope with and get through this? Who knows, it could be quite inspirational?

I've found it helpful (and very difficult) to look at who I am, as distinct from the roles I play/have played. Getting older does offer the opportunity for "self" knowledge but I've found it's not an easy route.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bez

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Bez »

I'm just back from a weekend with my brother and his wife....they are 9 yrs older than me..I'm 59.

Of course there are the obvious signs of 'maturing' but since they retired they have been on holiday to New England, recently Canada and in a couple of weeks they are going to Rome for a couple of days. neither were computer literate before they retired, but now they search for cheap air flights and affordable accomodation and off they go. They have been on some SAGA holidays which are for the older generation, but these are by no means for 'old timers'. Their recent trip to Canada involved optional trips to Glaciers in a helicopter, white water rafting etc.. When they were working they had good jobs and are now reaping the rewards of good pensions and careful financial planning. (I, along with many others have not been able to do this). They play golf 3 times a week and my sis-in law goes to the gym. Boring retirement....I think not. I was quite apprehensive about retiring, but spending time with them has confirmed that I have made the right decision in not working full time passed 60. I may not be able to have the type of holiday that they have, but the freedom.....wow....can't wait.
Lon

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Lon »

Bez wrote: I'm just back from a weekend with my brother and his wife....they are 9 yrs older than me..I'm 59.

Of course there are the obvious signs of 'maturing' but since they retired they have been on holiday to New England, recently Canada and in a couple of weeks they are going to Rome for a couple of days. neither were computer literate before they retired, but now they search for cheap air flights and affordable accomodation and off they go. They have been on some SAGA holidays which are for the older generation, but these are by no means for 'old timers'. Their recent trip to Canada involved optional trips to Glaciers in a helicopter, white water rafting etc.. When they were working they had good jobs and are now reaping the rewards of good pensions and careful financial planning. (I, along with many others have not been able to do this). They play golf 3 times a week and my sis-in law goes to the gym. Boring retirement....I think not. I was quite apprehensive about retiring, but spending time with them has confirmed that I have made the right decision in not working full time passed 60. I may not be able to have the type of holiday that they have, but the freedom.....wow....can't wait.

They sound like my kind of people. Good on em.
Bez

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Bez »

Of course I'm biased but they are the best....I adore my big 'bruv'...wish I lived nearer to them.
Judy

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Judy »

Wow, I am way over 50 and...Nope, not wiser, here ...just older.:yh_silly
Lon

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Lon »

Judy wrote: Wow, I am way over 50 and...Nope, not wiser, here ...just older.:yh_silly

Iv'e added a year since last answering this question (71), and it was only this morning that someone called me a wiseacre and smartass.
eot

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by eot »

:wah: I have shoes in my closet that are "over 50" :-2
Marie5656

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Marie5656 »

At 52, yes I am older. Wiser? Not sure. I know more, obviously, and I respond to things differently than I did 30 years ago...and I think I am better for the life knowledge I have received. I get alot of the "if I knew then what I know now" feelings, and yes I may have changed the way I have done things in the past. But, every day and every year is a learning experience..right?:lips:
redman

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by redman »

Recycled teenager in my 60s, still like a pretty girl...:p :p
Niamh

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Niamh »

capt_buzzard wrote: I was wondering how many over 50s members we have? And are you 'Older and Wiser today? :guitarist

Hello there cpt buzzard !! :D

husband & I retired some 18mths ago and are enjoying this lazy life. Joined

FG last week and still have'nt worked out how to introduce myself with a new

thread. Can you point me in the right direction pl ?

See you soon. love & hugs

Marie5656

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Marie5656 »

Niamh wrote: . Joined

Help is in the way, my new friend. Just go to the forum you want (in your case, introductions). You will see all the threads listed. At the very top, it says "New Thread". Click on that button. There will be a space for a title, and then the message block. Once done hit submit, then you are in!! :guitarist
redman

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by redman »

Niamh wrote: Hello there cpt buzzard !! :D

husband & I retired some 18mths ago and are enjoying this lazy life. Joined

See you soon. love & hugs

Another silver surfer.Welcome, you will soon pick it up.....:)
Marie5656

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Marie5656 »

Well, if things improve with age, we are all approaching magnificent.:-6
redman

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by redman »

Marie5656 wrote: Well, if things improve with age, we are all approaching magnificent.:-6

And I must be better than that...........:wah: :wah: :wah:
Niamh

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Niamh »

redman wrote: Another silver surfer.Welcome, you will soon pick it up.....:)

hahaha I'm having me roots touched up tomorrow , redman :-3

Thanks Marie........managed to get there .......and back !! Awesome forum,

is'nt it ? Will call in here often to say 'hi' to y'all. :guitarist

novak

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by novak »

52 this year and loving it! Also joined the forum this week and am just starting to get around it a little bit.

Last year was I think the best year of my life. Went to University for the first time and am just loving my degree and campus life. Kids are pretty proud of their old mum too. Kinda makes me feel young again.
novak

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by novak »

I am doing a BA in Humanities at Macquarie University in Sydney, with majors in Linguistics and Psychology. Only managing two units per semester though at the moment, but once the kids get a bit more independent I will probably move to 3 a semester. This semester I am taking Statistics and Psychology I, next semester I take Psycholinguistics and Psych II.

What do you think you might have a crack at?
novak

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by novak »

That's fantastic. Gee, go for it. So close to finishing
kowalskil

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by kowalskil »

capt_buzzard;23514 wrote: I was wondering how many over 50s members we have? And are you 'Older and Wiser today? :guitarist

Count me, I am 80.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
spot

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by spot »

My word, our second professor emeritus in as many months. Milton Crum weighs in, if I recall, at 86 but his introductory thread took quite some reading.

http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/gener ... d-age.html
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Lon

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Lon »

At my age 77 I thought I was the oldest FG member and now I have been beat out by a OCTOGENARIAN. :wah:
kowalskil

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by kowalskil »

Tree years difference is less then 4%.

Lon

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by Lon »

I was born in Newark and lived in Paterson during WW 2 and yes, 4% difference is nothing.
LarsMac

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by LarsMac »

Wow! at 61 I feel like a kid, again.

Almost as good as a trip to Branson, MO.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
kowalskil

Senior Service Over 50s

Post by kowalskil »

What is the beginning of the "official" senior age?

Return to “Senior Share”