Briton questioned in US murders

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Massachusetts (Reuters) -- Massachusetts investigators said on Wednesday they were in talks with British authorities and questioned a 27-year-old Briton after his wife and baby daughter were found shot dead in their home west of Boston.Police said their probe had spread to Britain and that they had talked by telephone with British-born Neil Entwistle after he left the United States last week. But they added that he was not a suspect in the killings.

"We have not named any suspects in this case yet," Middlesex County District Attorney Martha Coakley said. "We're looking at a bunch of difficult angles and keeping an open mind." She declined to confirm Entwistle's location.

Entwistle's car was found at Logan International Airport near Boston and flight records show he bought an air ticket to London 48 hours before the bodies of his wife, Rachel, and 9-month-old daughter, Lillian, were discovered on Sunday.

Autopsy results showed the mother died of a gunshot wound to the head and the baby died of a gunshot to the stomach. The bodies were found under layers of blankets in a bed in their home in Hopkinton about 30 miles (48 kilometers) west of Boston.

Coakley said authorities in Massachusetts had been in contact with British police but had not asked them to join the probe. "We've made contact, it is fair to say, but we have not asked them to do anything yet."

Entwistle and his family had lived in the United States about four or five months and began renting their home on January 12. "We're trying to catch up with who they were and what they were doing," Coakley said. "There weren't many people who saw them, knew them, were clued in to what was going on in their lives."

The killings have drawn intense media interest in Massachusetts and Britain. An Entwistle family Web page that once focused just on the couple and their baby -- http://www.rachelandneil.org/ -- has been transformed with its guestbook now a page of mourning.

Attached files
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

4 Mass. plainclothes detectives flew to England yesterday to talk to him. what i find strange is that his wife and baby are found brutally murdered, and he didn't get the first flight back to US. :confused: i will be interested in how this plays out.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

it has now been determined, via autopsy, that he was in Mass. when they were murdered. i am going to stay on top of this.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

arghh what is it with some folks. LC have you read or thought of any reason behind the guy murdering his family.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Sheryl wrote: arghh what is it with some folks. LC have you read or thought of any reason behind the guy murdering his family.no, not yet. except i know he's been under investigation for internet fraud. no reason to kill his family. someone else might have been angry. but why in hell did he fly to london after they were dead???
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Yea see your point. I can't help to wonder if it's just another selfish SOB.

my son
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i'll get hell for this, but scott peterson redux.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

lady cop wrote: i'll get hell for this, but scott peterson redux.

yea That's what I was thinking. I just didn't have the cojones to bring up the SP case.

my son
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

I just viewed every picture of their photo album....whew!! Well....I am not sure about that husband...he looks pretty happy in the photos. I may be wrong to say this but the wife looks like she could have been overbearing at times to him?? Maybe he was suffocating in that relationship? Dont get me wrong as I am not justifying anything he MAY have done, just pure speculation... which could point to a motive I guess...?
Nature laughs Last
Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

He wont be extradited if Mass has the DP and makes it a DP case. It contravenes European law, my guess is that the US detectives are trying to "Persuade" him to come back of hil own volition than the problem dissapears because although we wont send Brits back to be executed we dont mind if you already have them in custody
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

there is a treaty called something like mutual legal assistance. he can't be extradited if he hasn't been charged.
Hazel

Post by Hazel »

How could anybody shoot a wee baby??
"Before criticising someone, always walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get angry or violent, they are a mile away and haven't got any shoes."
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

boston herald is reporting that he has agreed to come back to states.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

I thought he wasn't a suspect. Did he flee to England to escape the same fate?

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Bez

Post by Bez »

A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Uncle Kram wrote: I thought he wasn't a suspect. Did he flee to England to escape the same fate?nobody has been called a suspect in the US since oj. only 'person of interest'. what crap.
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

lady cop wrote: nobody has been called a suspect in the US since oj. only 'person of interest'. what crap.

Semantics eh? :rolleyes:

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i know martha coakley, the mass. DA spokeswoman. she's being very cute about it.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

it's now being reported he is holed up at his parents, and is totally NOT cooperating with investigators.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Neil Entwistle has rebuffed requests for interviews from detectives. (File)

Neil won’t budge

By Dave Wedge

Investigators were stonewalled for a second day yesterday by the man at the center of the probe into the Hopkinton double-slaying, the latest blow to a case that got off to a rocky start last weekend when two inspections of the victims’ house failed to turn up the bodies. [more]

» Biggest mystery in killings is what’s left unspoken

» Local bloke famous for all the wrong reasons

» Obits: Rachel and Lillian Rose Entwistle
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Family grieves for Rachel and Lillian

By Tom Caywood & Norman Miller/ Boston Herald & MetroWest Daily News

Breaking their silence, the family of Rachel and Lillian Rose Entwistle said today through a friend they are now focused on taking “Rachel and Lillian to their rest.” [more]
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i am freaking out!! i got a call this morning that the murdered woman's mother lives in my old house!! it appeared on CBS this morning. Jan 30, 2006 8:37 am US/Eastern

Hopkinton Dad Not Cooperating With Investigators

(CBS4) HOPKINTON Funeral services will be held on Wednesday for 27-year-old Rachel Entwistle and her 9-month-old daughter Lillian.

It’s still unclear if Neil Entwistle will leave England and attend the services.

According to CBS4’s Dan Rea, he did not cooperate with Massachusetts investigators who went overseas to interview him.

Joe Flaherty, the spokesman for Rachel Entwistle’s family, told The Early Show’s Hannah Storm Monday that he did not know if Neil would be at the funeral Mass.

Neil Entwistle has been in seclusion at his family’s home in Worksop, England for the last week.

His wife’s family did not mention him in Rachel and Lillian’s obituary over the weekend and the family made no reference to him when they released their first public statement Sunday.

More than a week has passed since the mother and daughter were found shot to death in their rented home in Hopkinton. It's unclear whether investigators are any closer to solving the murders.

Prosecutors are not calling Neil Entwistle a suspect. They will only say he is a “person of interest” in their investigation.

Two Massachusetts State Police detectives and two Hopkinton police detectives went to England last week to question him. It’s still unclear what they learned on their trip. They returned to Massachusetts Sunday night.

Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

blimey - well freaky LC

Bez

Post by Bez »

I have a funny feeling about this guy. So many times we have had families making appeals on the TV to help catch killers and a huge percentage of times the person making the appeal is in fact the killer. I know this guy hasn't made an appeal, but something doesn't sit right here....we'll see !
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

it's VERY rare for a stranger to kill a baby, it's not like they can be a witness. the victims were killed and then wrapped comfortably in blankets, again, not something a stranger would bother to do. within 48 hours of estimated time of death entwistle was on a flight to heathrow. at the risk of being all wrong, i will just say if he's not involved i will eat my combat boots. with grey poupon.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

yesterday was the wake for the victims, and neil entwistle was seen leaving home in a car with his parents. it will be interesting to see if they put him on a flight to logan for today's funeral of his wife and baby. the Mass. DA is not saying much, but i sure would like to know if he bought a one-way or round-trip ticket to heathrow last week. i do believe if he shows up in Boston today he'll be cuffed and stuffed before he gets off the tarmac. and if he has not left England, he is certainly being surveilled.
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Are you serious LC??? About her mother living in YOUR old house? That is too wierd! Well anyway, how come I can't access their website anymore? Did the family remove it? Or investigators do you think?
Nature laughs Last
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i'm serious about the house, some friends of mine saw it on the local news up there! as to the website, i have not been checking it. here are some updates from boston herald. and FOX just showed a bit of the funeral procession, no entwistle in sight. ..........................Guns were in the house: Firearms collection eyed

By Dave Wedge, Laurel J. Sweet & Maggie Mulvihill

Neil Entwistle, fleeing to a British hideaway as police increasingly eye him in the slayings of his wife and baby, may have had access to his father-in-law’s gun collection in the home they shared ... [more]

» Long line of mourners pay respects

» Quiet man, parents depart home, media....................
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

hoo haa...so neil said he "doesn't remember flying to England"...there's an insanity defense in the making. how do you forget buying a ticket and hanging in the air for 8 hours? oh puleeze!!
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

He doesn't seem to remember he had a wife and kid either

Sherrinvale

Post by Sherrinvale »

robinseggs wrote: I just viewed every picture of their photo album....whew!! Well....I am not sure about that husband...he looks pretty happy in the photos. I may be wrong to say this but the wife looks like she could have been overbearing at times to him?? Maybe he was suffocating in that relationship? Dont get me wrong as I am not justifying anything he MAY have done, just pure speculation... which could point to a motive I guess...?

Sorry but there can be NO motive in killing a baby, so what if he was unhappy MOVE OUT you don't kill. I also am watching this one closely, he didn't even go back for their funerals
Raven

Post by Raven »

This one upset me too. I have heard the states can make an accession for extradition by lowering the penalty to life, just to get them back for a conviction. Is this true LC? I sure as hell hope so!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

if/when the Mass. DA issues a warrant for his arrest, England will extradite him back here under our mutual legal assistance treaty. but only if the death penalty is NOT on the table.
Raven

Post by Raven »

That makes me feel better. From what I was reading, they have a ton of holes to fill anyway! How can you miss TWO bodies after TWO sweeps of the house???

And the way he is acting, he has got guilty written all over him.

This case really upset me when I first heard about it. Mostly about his cowardice. He RAN, after killing those two. I was having a problem understanding why folks feel like they can just do anything they want to in the US and not pay for the crime. They whine and whinge about how they want to come back home. You dont hear about americans crying over doing British time, do you? NO! But let a brit get caught doing something wrong over there, and all they do is CRY!! PETE SAKES!! LOL! My poor husband had to hear this rant too! I guess what it boils down to, is he ran. To keep from paying the ultimate cost for his misdeeds, the coward RAN! If you dont like the way americans do justice, dont do the crime. Simple enough for me.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

in all fairness to the hopkinton police, the first time they went in it was a routine welfare check. they had no authority to do a real search, only a general lookaround. the next time they went in, they had a missing persons report and could search more carefully. those bodies were concealed under covers, bedding, etc. of course that does not mean a defense lawyer won't try to hammer that in a trial. BUT, if there are bullet holes in the bedding, then it can't be claimed someone put her there. it would mean they were shot in bed; there was no forced entry, and i understand there was a dog. of course we don't know how much the DA has yet. btw... Mass. authorities have seized logan airport's video surveillance tapes showing neil.
Bez

Post by Bez »

I heard on Sky news that Neil Entwistle has just been arested for his wife and babies murder.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

The British man whose American wife and baby were found shot to death last month in Massachusetts has been arrested in England and charged with murder, officials say. Neil Entwistle is charged with two counts of murder, one count of illegal possession of a firearm and one count of illegal possession of ammunition, says Melissa Sherman of the Middlesex district attorney's office. Autopsy results showed the mother died of a gunshot wound to the head and the baby died of a gunshot to the stomach.

FULL STORY | THE CNN WIRE
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i just listened to the Mass. DA presser...in a nutshell, she explained he had stolen the gun from his in-laws' house, that he shot them and had perhaps considered suicide. then he returned to gun to the in-laws' house. (MY OLD HOUSE!!) it should not take long to get him extradited.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I'm interested in hearing what the motive was.

my son
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

it appears, from what DA said, that he was in severe financial difficulty.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

I had read that both he and his wife were currently unemployed. But still thats no excuse for his actions.

my son
Bez

Post by Bez »

lady cop wrote: it appears, from what DA said, that he was in severe financial difficulty.

They described him as a 'Walter Mitty' character
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

He looks a fairly innocuous type and just your average Joe. Just shows how deceptive looks can be. It's truly unbelieveable that anyone could do that.

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

DA: Killings failed murder-suicide; Entwistle to fight extradition
Bez

Post by Bez »

lady cop wrote: DA: Killings failed murder-suicide; Entwistle to fight extradition

If this turns out to be true...what a selfish coward !
robinseggs

Post by robinseggs »

Sherrinvale wrote: Sorry but there can be NO motive in killing a baby, so what if he was unhappy MOVE OUT you don't kill. I also am watching this one closely, he didn't even go back for their funerals

Right Sherrinvale, I totally agree with you! But how dead-on I was when saying she must have been suffocationg him. Exactly as I thought....there was financial troubles. He couldn't afford her. Did you see the baby's clothes? And her car???? Don't misunderstand me here though--Neil Entwistle is a sick son of a _itch..... No doubt about it. And right--there's no motive for killing a baby.....(in the mind of a sane person that is) ...but in the mind of this sicko....it appeared to release him of one more financial burden. THAT was HIS motive.
Nature laughs Last
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A British man charged with the murder of his American wife and baby has agreed to be extradited to the United States, his lawyer told a London court on Friday.

Neil Entwistle, 27, was arrested Thursday at a London Underground station.

At a court appearance on Thursday, he acknowledged the charges against him and said he did not consent to extradition.

But on Friday, his lawyer told Bow Street Magistrates' Court in London that Entwistle would consent to extradition, the UK Press Association reported

Attached files
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Police: Bad sex life behind murders

By Norman Miller & Casey Ross/ Metrowest Daily News and Boston Herald

FRAMINGHAM - Police believe that on top of financial difficulties, dissatisfaction with his sex life drove Neil Entwistle to kill his wife and daughter in their Hopkinton home on Jan. 20... [more]
Bez

Post by Bez »

If he did it, why shoot a baby...I bet he pleads insanity or something .

Return to “Crimes Trials”