Consequences of De Velara

Gaius

Post by Gaius »

Eamonn De Valera is the greatest antichrist seen in Irish history. Let me go into further detail.

Granted, Eamonn has done quite a bit for the Irish nation and Irish people. But the moment he disobeyed the will of the people, walked out of the Dail and said, "The Irish volunteers will have to wade through Irish blood" is the moment Ireland should completely ostracise the man from public domain. He should have been ignored there and then (Although granted this was during the Civil War)

Alas, the man weedled his way into public office at the head of the treacherous Fianna Fail. Eamonn De Velara is comparable to Gerry Adams, Martin Mc Guinness and the rest of the inhuman shinners which have brought this island to its knees.

His greatest objection at the time was the Oath of Allegiance. Why then, after the Civil War did he swear the oath? The man should have committed suicide rather than lead the Irish people into a corrupt theocracy which was only democratic in that the people elected the government. Where were our civil liberties and freedom of speech? The Constitution of '37 denied us these and it is only now Ireland is beginning to recover.

P.S- on a side note, A Michael Collins question (Which emphasised the leadership he gave during the War of Independance) wasn't included in the Irish Leaving Certificate exam until De Velara's death. It's believed his influence stopped this!
spot

Post by spot »

Gaius wrote: Eamonn De Valera is the greatest antichrist seen in Irish history.To be sure, the man was an American bastard, but neither of those offences was he responsible for personally. And he mellowed, let's not forget. Were I caught up in civil war, I'd probably be far less effective than he, but I can see where he might still be disliked for his actions.

In what way would you say Ireland is on its knees, or that the Shinners did anything but protect their community? Answers to both half of that question would be welcome.

As for "lead the Irish people into a corrupt theocracy", it was always my understanding that Roman Catholicism was only kept from becoming the official State Religion on his say-so, which strikes me as being the very reverse of your assertion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

"In what way would you say Ireland is on its knees, or that the Shinners did anything but protect their community? Answers to both half of that question would be welcome."

Mc Guiness and the same ilk had brought this island to its knees. They waged an unjust war of attrition which democratic action would have offered solutions to. The Republic is thriving but you take a walk through Belfast any day of the week. Now take a walk through Dublin. Theres a hell of a difference in terms of the economies. If you honestly believe Sinn Fein protected their communities then I advise you speak to those who were kneecapped by IRA thugs. If that's protection I don't want a bit of it.

"As for "lead the Irish people into a corrupt theocracy", it was always my understanding that Roman Catholicism was only kept from becoming the official State Religion on his say-so, which strikes me as being the very reverse of your assertion."

De Valera stopped the Constitution recognising the Catholic faith as the one true faith, thanks be to god. He introduced many overtly Catholic articles, such as that requiring women to leave public sector jobs once they got married. Britain was light years ahead of us at this time in our history. De Valera was in effect a dictator. He was the Caesar of Ireland of the time, dominating Irish politics until his 90's.
spot

Post by spot »

Gaius wrote: Mc Guiness and the same ilk had brought this island to its knees. They waged an unjust war of attrition which democratic action would have offered solutions to. The Republic is thriving but you take a walk through Belfast any day of the week. Now take a walk through Dublin. Theres a hell of a difference in terms of the economies.That makes more sense - you had a present tense the first time, now you've relegated it to some time in the past. You included the whole island to start with, and now you focus on just the North.

Who else, at the time, out of interest, was looking out for the interests (commercial or political) of the papists in Ulster, if not the Shinners? If we're talking about, say, the 70s? Are you suggesting there was no discrimination there, then?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

The SDLP. Not to mention (St.) John Hume.

They offered a democratic, civil alternative to violance. Really, if you knew the personal story I know about Mc Guiness it would sicken you to the pit of your stomach. (And I can't really tell you it unfortunately unless over PM because it was removed from a BBC Messageboard for being illegal)
spot

Post by spot »

Gaius wrote: (And I can't really tell you it unfortunately unless over PM because it was removed from a BBC Messageboard for being illegal)It may have been removed by the BBC for fear of legal action, but that doesn't make it illegal. I think it would have had to have been blasphemous, treasonous or inspiring terrorism to have broken the criminal code. Oh... unless it was an incitement to religious hatred, perhaps? It's the right country, after all.

Is it Gracchus you name yourself after, or Julius?
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

"Is it Gracchus you name yourself after, or Julius?"

I'm glad we moved away from that. I get very heated when I talk about this sort of stuff, as you have seen! (I was raised in Belfast)

I name myself after the one and only, Gaius Julius Caesar!

(I run a rome based fantasy interactive fiction webpage, if you're interested I could send you the link?)
spot

Post by spot »

Gaius wrote: (I run a rome based fantasy interactive fiction webpage, if you're interested I could send you the link?)Do, please. Or is Julian the Apostate already in play?
Gaius

Post by Gaius »

Did you get my PM Spot?

Return to “History”