Health Gripe

HelloGal

Health Gripe

Post by HelloGal »

Ok here is my gripe with American Health I think this is lame. We send home babies from the hospital with free forumula samples encourage bottles and when you do your reasearch you find the benifits of breastfeeding are numerous. So why then do we offer and spend millions of tax payers dollars on WIC programs who easily hand out formula to thousands of children who can be Breastfed infact only a small percentage of children can not be breastfed. These woman on wic are poor and have little money as it is why not incourage them to use the free stuff Breastmilk its free makes sense and is better for health.
libertine

Health Gripe

Post by libertine »

While i agree with you in theory, in practice it is not quite so clear cut. I agree that most babies can be breat fed; however, some mothers can not breat feed. and others should not. Some mothers have to work, some are on drugs and some just don't want to and a few are physically unable for any number of reasons.

In my opinion it is better to insure a well fed baby, however, than to risk malnutrition.

I do agree that some education to new mothers about breast feeding is in order. It might encourage more to nurse their babies.

In any case, once out of the hospital, a WIC mother does not have to use the formula. She can still nurse her baby if she so chooses.
Accountable

Health Gripe

Post by Accountable »

HelloGal wrote: Ok here is my gripe with American Health I think this is lame. We send home babies from the hospital with free forumula samples encourage bottles and when you do your reasearch you find the benifits of breastfeeding are numerous. So why then do we offer and spend millions of tax payers dollars on WIC programs who easily hand out formula to thousands of children who can be Breastfed infact only a small percentage of children can not be breastfed. These woman on wic are poor and have little money as it is why not incourage them to use the free stuff Breastmilk its free makes sense and is better for health.
:wah: I know what you mean. This epitomizes the politician's slogan "Do Something, Even if it's Stupid." Spend the money on a study about what these mothers need, and give out formula case-by-case, not just by the case.
valerie

Health Gripe

Post by valerie »

I would be more concerned with the mother's nutritional intake. In most of

those cases, it's not very good. And if it doesn't get into the mother, it's

not getting into the baby.

:thinking:
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

HelloGal

Health Gripe

Post by HelloGal »

valerie wrote: I would be more concerned with the mother's nutritional intake. In most of

those cases, it's not very good. And if it doesn't get into the mother, it's

not getting into the baby.

:thinking:

Well if the woman were on wic and breastfeed they can get milk eggs cheese and healthy cereal, tuna can carrots. Just Wic makes it so easy to switch over to formula all they have to say is I want formula no questions asked. That costs us all so much and many times it really is not even needed. When I was on Wic I had to get a prescribtion to request a pump to give my sick child milk yet I could easly just get formula to give her supplements that made her more sick. Did not make anysense to me. I know they make sure these woman get good food. Plus even if you don't eat very healthy or have little to eat your body will compensate. Look at the woman in Africa they have fed their children for years and we Americans for the most part have enough fat restores and get enough vitamins to produce milk that is much better for baby. I think they should seriously revamp the system. Look at huricane katrina the news said over and over how poor these woman were how devestated they were and if more had been able to BF and encouraged to do so then perhaps their babies would not have been starving and crying from hunger. Not all those woman could help it I agree but the thing is we need to adjust to the fact that free milk is better for us all. Daycares and schools would have more children attend if they were healther and BF makes for healther children in the long run. Their are so many reasons to revamp wic yet the formula companies will do what ever it takes to get their money. Even give out free samples and offer coupons and diaper bags and shirts and beennies that have formula logos. Makes me sick to tell ya the truth.:-5 I don't get it. Foodstamps and Wic are great assetts to our nation but if we don't have rules and guidlines then I suppose we will all pay more for it in the long run. Look at all the junk you can buy with foodstamps alone. Yes its thier right but you pay for their doctor bill because nine times out of 10 those kids are on medicaid or some sort of state insurance as you would qualify for both. So their you have it formula fed infants in and out of doctors with so much more health problems and conditions like Asthma and others and Children eating junk so they are obese have high blood pressure the like. It just all around makes everyone pay more. Education is the key and with those programs these woman and men they will do most anything to keep thier assistance even lie wich I know is the case too, so why not attend a free class before they get their checks. Why not make foodstamps like wic and only have certain foods they can purchase. Like pop, candy, Junk Foods limted ammount. Makes more sense to me. How hard would it be to make restrictions and guidlines. Why should Tax Payers support poor health then pay the health tab too.
libertine

Health Gripe

Post by libertine »

So as I understand it, you are blaming the baby formula companies because more mothers don't breast feed. Your basic argument is a good one..breast fed babies are healthy babies..but it does not follow that formula babies are NOT healthy. It should be up to 'society' in whatever form to educate expectant mothers about breast feeding vs formula, and then it is up to the mother to make the decision. Formula companies are, of course, trying to build an audience for their product, but they are not forcing anyone to use that product.

BOth WIC and Food stamps can use some scrutiny but at least cigarettes, liquor and non-food products are off the list. And the person using the service can't get any change to use for non allowed items.
HelloGal

Health Gripe

Post by HelloGal »

libertine wrote: So as I understand it, you are blaming the baby formula companies because more mothers don't breast feed. Your basic argument is a good one..breast fed babies are healthy babies..but it does not follow that formula babies are NOT healthy. It should be up to 'society' in whatever form to educate expectant mothers about breast feeding vs formula, and then it is up to the mother to make the decision. Formula companies are, of course, trying to build an audience for their product, but they are not forcing anyone to use that product.

BOth WIC and Food stamps can use some scrutiny but at least cigarettes, liquor and non-food products are off the list. And the person using the service can't get any change to use for non allowed items.

I blame the companies for marketing it and the goverment for allowing it to be so easy to get a hold of and I think education is the key to better desicions for us all.

If you knew you could provide baby with the best chances are you would try to do so but too many are not aware that formula is just that a scientific formula that is also co-dependent on safe water and subject to water contamination and also recalls. Their is no recall on mothers milk. The cost of formula effects us all we all pay for these programs and the health system remains to treat many things that are contributed to formula.

The Facts

1.5 million babies died from unsafe bottlefeeding

in 1998 (1)

For every 1000 babies born in the US, 4 will die from formula feeding (2)

The US Government buys $600 million worth of formula each year (3)

Read More Here

http://www.breastfeeding.com/advocate.html

More info http://www.waba.org.my/

http://www.promom.org/101/index.html

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/publications/sy ... ietsyn.htm

Read here PDF Scientific reasearch and other studies done

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solid ... olids.html

I am not saying I did not give my children formula but after reading and doing the reasearch I am now convinced that its much better to Breastfeed as long as possible and if at all possible not give formula and next child I plan on using my knowledge to give my baby the best. We all rush out and buy the safest car seat, we all go out and buy the best toys, best crib so for me I choose the best. I would have never used forumula had I been aware. I was lied to by Wic saying formula is equal to breastmilk its not after you do the scientific studies and other studies and personal stories. All parents have the right to choose but does not everyone have the right to have a good education before making serious choices.
Accountable

Health Gripe

Post by Accountable »

I love passion! :yh_clap Glad to have you here.

Return to “Health Care”