the case of the pilfered penguin

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

: Police 'fear worst' poor little thing:-1

Thursday, December 22, 2005; Posted: 7:19 a.m. EST (12:19 GMT)

This photo issued by Hampshire Police shows 3-month-old Toga, stolen from a zoo last week

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Police said Thursday they feared the worst for a baby penguin whose plight has prompted headlines around the world after he was stolen from a British zoo five days ago.

Toga, a three-month-old Jackass penguin, was snatched on Saturday night from the Amazon World zoo on the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England.

Zoo managers think he might have been stolen as a Christmas present by thieves inspired by the hit documentary film "March of the Penguins".

But they warned that unless the brown and white colored Toga was swiftly returned, he would die.

Pictures of his crestfallen parents were splashed across the front pages of newspapers in Britain and the tale has tweaked the heartstrings of animal lovers globally.

"It's absolutely unbelievable. We've had so many e-mails and well-wishes from people around the world, it's just stunning," zoo manager Kath Bright told Reuters, saying messages had come from as far afield as the U.S., Australia and South Africa.

Media reports said congregations at two churches in America were even praying for Toga, who is said to be very vocal, with a voice like a donkey braying.

"It gives you renewed faith in the human race," Bright said.

She added the zoo was currently on tenterhooks after an anonymous man called to say he had dumped Toga on Tuesday in a plastic bag at Portsmouth docks on the English mainland across from the island.

A rescue team is now on standby to rush out if the report is true and Toga is found.

However Hampshire police who have been investigating the theft said the report had not made them very hopeful that Toga was still alive.

"I think it's really sad," said a police spokeswoman. "I don't envisage a happy ending."
chrisb84uk

Post by chrisb84uk »

That's horrible, what reason would someone have to kidnap a penguin, that's just awful. Let's all hope all turns out for the best with this story!!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that is so cruel! Keep us updated, please, if the darling penguin gets home safe.

No excuse for animal cruelty...................
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

If the person or persons who did this are caught, what sort of punishment would they be facing?
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

SOJOURNER wrote: If the person or persons who did this are caught, what sort of punishment would they be facing?i'd have to ask Bothwell, but the charges would range from the actual burglary of the zoo, to the animal's death if it is shown.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Tonight's news said the poor bird will be dead if not returned to the parents within 48 hours. It can only take food from it's parents. What a sad case of a "special X-Mas present".......a dead animal. I'm a huge fan of animal protection - especially around X-Mas. People want to get something special and then have NO IDEA of the care they need.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl wrote: Any recent news on this?not on this morning's BBC.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

England (Reuters) -- The parents of a baby penguin, whose theft from a British zoo just before Christmas attracted worldwide attention, have produced a new egg.Toga, a three-month-old jackass penguin, was snatched from Amazon World Zoo Park on the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England, after thieves broke in one night last month.

Pictures of his crestfallen parents Kyala and Oscar made the front page of many newspapers while donations and messages of support flooded in from all over the world.

Despite a number of reported sightings, Toga, who could only survive a matter of days without his parents, was never found.

"There's some good news at last," zoo manager Kath Bright told Reuters on Monday after staff discovered Kyala and Oscar were expecting their second offspring.

"They have been very lovey-dovey," she said, adding the egg should hatch in about 40 days.

Toga, zoo staff believe, might have been stolen for a private collector or by someone who thought he would make a good Christmas present, perhaps inspired by the hit documentary film "March of the Penguins".

There is still an outstanding 25,000 pound ($44,440) reward for information leading to the conviction of those responsible.

"It would be nice to know what did happen to him and why he was taken," Bright said
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, a new little pengie to replace their stolen one. That is nice to know.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

We're just spineless jellyfishies...............................

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Clancy wrote: .....some of you women will do anything for, Free Willy.that will cost you a 30 squid fine there Clancy. :p
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Always a star-fish for us, Clancy.........................
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Clancy wrote: *nice one LC*

......it's just a cry for kelp, for most of you in here.....now you're floundering about..........:rolleyes:
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Just a pufferfish with an inflated ego!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

tuna your guitar and play us a song :guitarist
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i really otter smack you.:wah:
StupidCowboyTricks

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

lady cop wrote: i really otter smack you.:wah:

What a crab!
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

StupidCowboyTricks

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

Clancy wrote: .....why bring up The Prince of Whale's wife Camilla ? ....thats just rude !

I did it for the halibut
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

a new beginning for the penguin family :)

Bereaved Penguins Hatch New ChickMonday

LONDON — The :siteSearch('penguins');">penguins who had their chick stolen just before Christmas have hatched another egg at a zoo in southern England, officials said Saturday.

Kyala and Oscar's new chick was born Tuesday, but has yet to be named and its sex was not yet known, zoo owner Derek Curtis told reporters.

Three-month-old Toga disappeared mid-December from the :siteSearch('Amazon World zoo');">Amazon World zoo on the :siteSearch('Isle of Wight');">Isle of Wight, off the south coast. The bird is presumed dead, as experts said it was too young to survive without its parents.

Zookeepers at the time said they believed someone may have stolen him to give as a Christmas gift, inspired by the popular film "March of the Penguins."

There was no sign of forced entry to the pen, but a thief would have been able to climb into the compound and carry the brown-and-white bird away.

Despite scores of reported sightings and an on-air confession from a man who called a television station to admit to stealing the bird, Toga was not been found.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl wrote: I hope they've increased their security.evidently so, with cameras, etc.

Return to “Conservation The Environment”