Advice needed

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

I'm very worried about my pet beagle, while out walking her she had some kind of fit, I think thats what it could be called, she stopped walking and started to make this awful noise a bit like wretching as though she would be sick, it was a very dry sound as though it was coming from deep down in her throat or in her chest. It stopped and we carried on walking but it happened again and then a couple of times more, each time it lasted for almost five minutes.

At first I thought it was something stuck in her throat but it wasn't.

I was rubbing her chest and stomoch while this was happening and a Spanish lady came running up to me and said not to rub her chest because it was a heart problem that she has.

I have made a appointment at the vet but that's not until tomorrow.

That was earlier this afternoon and she has been fine since, so I took her out again and the same thing happened.

Has anyone heard of this happenining with their dog? :-1

valerie

Advice needed

Post by valerie »

Pina, how old is she? Are there weeds around where you walk? Was

the sound more like a "reverse sneeze"? Without being there it is so hard

to tell.

Is she overweight?

If she's fine in the house, I would just keep her there until you can get

her into the vet...
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

scotty

Advice needed

Post by scotty »

Pina could it be hair or grass stuck in her throat ?
pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

valerie wrote: Pina, how old is she? Are there weeds around where you walk? Was

the sound more like a "reverse sneeze"? Without being there it is so hard

to tell.

Is she overweight?

If she's fine in the house, I would just keep her there until you can get

her into the vet...

She is just turned 2, she was overweight in the summer because it was to hot to go out for long walks or runs, but she is fine now we go to the beach most days and she runs around in the sand.

Funny thing is Pete suggested reverse sneezing, I wasn't sure because she looks distressed and maybe in some pain. After saying that as soon as she stopped making these noises she is fine again and starts running around as usual.

pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

scotty wrote: Pina could it be hair or grass stuck in her throat ?

I thought of that but she hasn't eaten any for quite a while, the noises seem to be coming from way down her throat.

Thanks for the advice anyway, its maybe just me panicking over nothing.

minks

Advice needed

Post by minks »

pina wrote: I thought of that but she hasn't eaten any for quite a while, the noises seem to be coming from way down her throat.

Thanks for the advice anyway, its maybe just me panicking over nothing.

Oooo not to be the bearer of bad thoughts, our past pooch had something similar, ended up being fatty deposits around her heart. Not a good thing. So diet time it was for that old gal. She lived on to the ripe old age of 13 human years.

Current pooch makes same noise, and we were told it was something he sniffed up so not to helpful huh
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

minks wrote: Oooo not to be the bearer of bad thoughts, our past pooch had something similar, ended up being fatty deposits around her heart. Not a good thing. So diet time it was for that old gal. She lived on to the ripe old age of 13 human years.

Current pooch makes same noise, and we were told it was something he sniffed up so not to helpful huh

It is helpful Minks, the more ideas I have the less I worry, I'm really more bothered about whether it is something serious or not with her being so young. Hopefully it's one of the less serious things that have been mentioned.

At the moment she is stretched out on a blanket in front of the fire without a care in the world.

BabyRider

Advice needed

Post by BabyRider »

From the sounds of this it could be several things. Kennel cough is one possibility, and unfortunately, heartworm is another. It also could be some kind of seizure. Do you have her on heartworm preventative and did she receive a bordatella vaccine?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

minks

Advice needed

Post by minks »

pina wrote: It is helpful Minks, the more ideas I have the less I worry, I'm really more bothered about whether it is something serious or not with her being so young. Hopefully it's one of the less serious things that have been mentioned.

At the moment she is stretched out on a blanket in front of the fire without a care in the world.

well let's hope it was a one time passing incident never to happen again.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

Clipper wrote: Do you have a cat in the house ? My Ridgeback scarfs up the hairballs our cat coughs up.......and she in turn pays the price with terrible sneezes and coughs......:-5

Sure hope it is nothing serious. I have a special place in my heart for Beagles......:D

No cat in the house here, we would never get any peace if there was.

She has had a few fur balls of her own after washing but that's not too often.

Thanks for the advice Clipper.

pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

BabyRider wrote: From the sounds of this it could be several things. Kennel cough is one possibility, and unfortunately, heartworm is another. It also could be some kind of seizure. Do you have her on heartworm preventative and did she receive a bordatella vaccine?

No she is not on any heartworm preventative, she has had all her vaccinations she needed from the vets, I'm not sure if that was one that one of them. I'll ask the vet tomorrow.

She was in the kennels for a week but that was in October and she's been fine since then, Thanks BR.

chonsigirl

Advice needed

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, poor puppy. If it is a one time occurence, I wouldn't worry. If it happens again, a trip to the vet would relieve your worries-they'll know what to look for.
abbey

Advice needed

Post by abbey »

I'm sorry to hear your little girl's not too good Pina.

Give her a big hug from me :yh_hugsand i hope all goes well at the vets x
pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

abbey wrote: I'm sorry to hear your little girl's not too good Pina.

Give her a big hug from me :yh_hugsand i hope all goes well at the vets x

Thanks Abbey & Chonsi, I'm hoping its just reverse sneezing I've looked it up on the net and it sounds as though it could be, only thing is she could have it for life its one of those things that can happen anytime and sometimes frequent. It was scary though, the noises were so loud that everybody turned to look see what it was.

BabyRider

Advice needed

Post by BabyRider »

pina wrote: No she is not on any heartworm preventative, she has had all her vaccinations she needed from the vets, I'm not sure if that was one that one of them. I'll ask the vet tomorrow.

She was in the kennels for a week but that was in October and she's been fine since then, Thanks BR.
Any reputable boarding kennel should require a bordetella vaccine before they allow your dog to stay.

Ask your vet about heartworm preventative, I'm not sure how it works in your area. Heartworm is transmitted by mosquitos, so I don't know if that's a problem where you live.

Keep us posted, please?:-4
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

BabyRider wrote: Any reputable boarding kennel should require a bordetella vaccine before they allow your dog to stay.

Ask your vet about heartworm preventative, I'm not sure how it works in your area. Heartworm is transmitted by mosquitos, so I don't know if that's a problem where you live.

Keep us posted, please?:-4

I'll check with the vet tomorrow. and let you know, she is due her booster rabies shot so he might give her that while I'm there.

We have mosquitos the size of butterflies around here all year round,

I squished a giant one in the bathroom last night, it was him or me. :D

BabyRider

Advice needed

Post by BabyRider »

pina wrote: I'll check with the vet tomorrow. and let you know, she is due her booster rabies shot so he might give her that while I'm there.

We have mosquitos the size of butterflies around here all year round,

I squished a giant one in the bathroom last night, it was him or me. :D
Mosquitos the size of butterflies year round? Damn. That would suck. In that case she should be on heartworm preventative year round also.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

Update on my baby puppy Cuqui.

I've just got back from the vet's and she is fine its a really bad cold she has, as well as the coughing which has got worse she has a stuffy nose and isn't breathing very well.

The vet has given her an injection and some tablets to take. He also said to put something menthol in her bed to help her breath and give her lots of water to drink. She is feeling very sorry for herself and I don't blame her.

BR, I asked the vet about heartworm preventative and he has assured me that it's ok because one of the yearly injections she has is for that.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I was a bit worried about her last night. :)

StupidCowboyTricks

Advice needed

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

pina wrote: Update on my baby puppy Cuqui.

I've just got back from the vet's and she is fine its a really bad cold she has, as well as the coughing which has got worse she has a stuffy nose and isn't breathing very well.

The vet has given her an injection and some tablets to take. He also said to put something menthol in her bed to help her breath and give her lots of water to drink. She is feeling very sorry for herself and I don't blame her.

BR, I asked the vet about heartworm preventative and he has assured me that it's ok because one of the yearly injections she has is for that.

Thanks everyone for your advice, I was a bit worried about her last night. :)

I'm happy for you. Do Beagles get overweight easily? My nephew and his wife have had one about a year and a half and the Dr. put her on a diet.....she is a real fatty....but she is a real cutey.
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

pina

Advice needed

Post by pina »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: I'm happy for you. Do Beagles get overweight easily? My nephew and his wife have had one about a year and a half and the Dr. put her on a diet.....she is a real fatty....but she is a real cutey.

The show beagles do tend to get fat. The working beagle has longer legs and ears and a leaner body.

Cuqui is a show beagle and we had a problem with her weight in the summer, she wouldn't go out in the heat which meant no excercise, but I took Valerie and BR advice and played ball games in the house and ran up and down five flights of stairs every day, that helped her but I was knackered. :wah:

Winter is easy we go to the beach for an hour most days where she can run around, also the vet advised to starve her one day out of 14.

Return to “Pet Advice Support”