Can anyone tell me about ski equipment

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
shadow man

Post by shadow man »

never skied before and not sure if i will take to it...so i want to by used....if i have it wright ski's have binding which are only suited to certin size boot so i guess i need to by boots first , that i assume is step 1, from that a can tell if used skis and bindings will fit ' as they messure in the lengh of the boot, not nes. the size.....any help would be good.

Thanks ....Shadow...;) :rolleyes:
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

greydeadhead and i are both skiers, i'll send him your post. i would advise against buying used, or buying at all until you know whether you're going to stay with the sport. rent. the rental shops at any ski area will be sure you're fitted properly, the bindings set right, and that you are in equipment that suits your level of ability.
orangesox1

Post by orangesox1 »

shadow man wrote: never skied before and not sure if i will take to it...so i want to by used....if i have it wright ski's have binding which are only suited to certin size boot so i guess i need to by boots first , that i assume is step 1, from that a can tell if used skis and bindings will fit ' as they messure in the lengh of the boot, not nes. the size.....any help would be good.

Thanks ....Shadow...;) :rolleyes:

Most casual skiers in Oz just hire their equipment at the snow fields when they get there.

Do you have ski resorts in England:confused:
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

lady cop wrote: greydeadhead and i are both skiers, i'll send him your post. i would advise against buying used, or buying at all until you know whether you're going to stay with the sport. rent. the rental shops at any ski area will be sure you're fitted properly, the bindings set right, and that you are in equipment that suits your level of ability.

I'd take LC's wise advise. If you are not fitted properly you won't enjoy skiing.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Sheryl wrote: I'd take LC's wise advise. If you are not fitted properly you won't enjoy skiing.even worse, there is risk of serious injury when one is using equipment not meant for beginners.
valerie

Post by valerie »

I skied first using rentals. It's good for finding out, but boy, the

difference when you buy your own top of the line stuff! The expense is

a lot though, so if you're new to it, I would still do a lot of "research"

by renting.

If you do decide to stick with it and buy, Salomon boots and bindings

are the best. I think. I have Elan skiis, they are good but so are lots of

others.

Happy schussing!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

when it comes to ski gear and SCUBA gear, it is life support. i would NEVER buy used, a BC (bouyancy compensator) can be life or death, and if you are a new skier, long sharp-edged racing skis can kill you. you need shorter skis until you are proficient and settled into your capability. when you do go for your first time, please don't go on X trails, stay within your ability is the most important advice anyone could give you. too often i have seen people smashed to death against a tree because they were skiing out of control. learn to control stops and TAKE LESSONS! a day or two of lessons will give you the ability to check your speed and learn how to stop. you'll be glad you did. :cool:
minks

Post by minks »

Shorter skis to start with.... that is all I can offer hehehehe
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
kumininexile

Post by kumininexile »

Ah, the magnificent view you get of the entire surrounding valley, if you squirm around in your chairlift seat when halfway up the mountain! What memories! And who can forget the smell of the fresh air, permeated with the scent of the wood burning in the base lodge's hugh fireplace? Give me the Berkshires, the Berkshires, the Berkshires!

I was a student for four years at a boarding school which was located in Berkshire County, Massachusetts. I left there in 1971, which was also the last ski season I skied. While in school up there, we skied two, and sometimes three, times per week. I've always planned on skiing some more but, like the ass I must be, I'm pretty sure I've permanently ruined my knees by exercising recklessly while in the gymnasium. Damnit! Damnit! Damnit! I don't think you can ski without a good pair of knees, though I may try again anyway. The worst that can happen would be that I'd have to spend most of the day sitting by the fireplace.

One piece of advice I can pass on: lessons are a very good thing, but make sure you're being taught the European technique, instead of the American one. The American style is lousy because when they teach you how to turn, you're taught to do it by snowplowing. The problem with that is that it's then very hard to stop yourself from going into that, "snowplow," position automatically. When learning by way of the European technique, you're taught from the start to turn by paralleling your skis. You simply plant your pole in the snow in the direction you want to turn in, unweight the back of your skis by leaning on your planted pole and, while keeping your heels together, slide both of your skis in the direction of the bottom of the hill. This is what's meant by, "paralleling." :-6
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

i lived near boston for years, never liked blue hills or berkshires, too small. used to get up at 0300 and drive to wildcat for the day. and do tuckerman's ravine sometimes. a 90 degree terminal drop. the view from wildcat was also stunning, right at mt. washington.
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Hey Shadow...

yep.. LC has it right. Rent for a day or two before you decide.. Also.. for a fee (or if you are lucky for free) some areas offer demo areas... this allows you to try out a variety of skis and determine which suits your style of skiing best. Todays technology had advanced skis way beyond when I first started.. powder skis, tricksters... cruisers... etc... I ski on a pair of Head Cyber X-44's .. an all purpose type ski... good in the powder, glades and groomed areas...they are considered long by todays standards att 177... I have Tyrolia flex bindings on them.. a carving binding that allows me to twist the ski under my foot to carve deep turns.. all of this combines to allow me to go really fast.. hehehehehe.....

Also.. if you have never skied before.. get a lesson package.. they usually include lift ticket, rental and either a group or private lesson.

Enjoy and keep us posted..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
shadow man

Post by shadow man »

orangesox1 wrote: Most casual skiers in Oz just hire their equipment at the snow fields when they get there.

Do you have ski resorts in England:confused:

:wah: :wah: :wah: ...ONLY MUD SLOPES HERE...Have to travel a way's

Shadow
shadow man

Post by shadow man »

Thanks guys for all you advise...;)

bit too expensive to rent so i'm going to take a gamble,,,found some nice salamon boots that fit well..used of cause. and am going to take MINKS advice, and start short , going to buy a salamon SNOWBLADE , For a few reasons, they look great fun, reports say they are easy to use and they're cheapish...and easy to strap to a rucsac, not going to france till later in the year so may take a few leasons at the dry sky slope and a few snowy hills in the UK ..IF we ever get any SNOW:wah:

BUT THANKS GUYS , YOU HAVE BEEN A GREAT HELP.....

Shadow
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Hey Shadow...

be very very careful with those snowblades.. they do NOT have a release binding on them.. and when you go down.. they can catch and bounce on the snow. I saw a young lady blow out not one but both knees at an area I was skiing.. in the same fall..

and don't get into anything deeper than bout 4" of powder .. they are useless in it..

good luck man...

keep us updated...
shadow man

Post by shadow man »

greydeadhead wrote: Hey Shadow...

be very very careful with those snowblades.. they do NOT have a release binding on them.. and when you go down.. they can catch and bounce on the snow. I saw a young lady blow out not one but both knees at an area I was skiing.. in the same fall..

and don't get into anything deeper than bout 4" of powder .. they are useless in it..

good luck man...

keep us updated...

Only doing baby slopes....mate...lol:wah:

just want to g:wah: ive it a go without much cash if it looks

like its something i want to pursue .i will prob seek more advice

stunts arent realy me , im more slow and glidding.lol

if you were to read my previous posts, you will see i have entered a mid life

crisis , so they prob will not get any further than my campervan....lol

Cheers Shadow
greydeadhead

Post by greydeadhead »

Aww hell man.. go for it..

I am 46...err.. 26... yeah.. that's the ticket .. 26....(well mentally) and am learning to snowboard this year.. never to old.. never never..

so shred the hill

then find the hot tub and a cocktail...

later...

Return to “General Chit Chat”