Japan

Big Business, Small Business, Investments, and Personal Finances
Accountable

Japan

Post by Accountable »

Anybody interested ni investing in Asia?

Japan was looking good until today. I wonder what that selloff was about and if it will continue tomorrow. :yh_questn
Lon

Japan

Post by Lon »

Accountable wrote: Anybody interested ni investing in Asia?

Japan was looking good until today. I wonder what that selloff was about and if it will continue tomorrow. :yh_questn

A criminal investigation of an Internet Start up company caused it.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060118/D8F738SG8.html
Accountable

Japan

Post by Accountable »

The pin action affect the entire market?!?
Accountable

Japan

Post by Accountable »

My wife & I were discussing whether to buy a couple of companies' stock or just get a mutual fund (Vanguard or TRowe Price) yesterday. We were lucky we didn't come to a decision until after the market closed. :yh_ooooo
Lon

Japan

Post by Lon »

Accountable wrote: My wife & I were discussing whether to buy a couple of companies' stock or just get a mutual fund (Vanguard or TRowe Price) yesterday. We were lucky we didn't come to a decision until after the market closed. :yh_ooooo

I am partial to "Vanguard". Have dealt with them for a long time and have been very happy with them.
Accountable

Japan

Post by Accountable »

Lon wrote: I am partial to "Vanguard". Have dealt with them for a long time and have been very happy with them.
As have I. Been with them since the 90's. I'm thinking of moving my ROTH to Firstrade though. Vanguard charges $35 commissions for broker transactions vs Firstrade's $6.95 (zero on mutual funds).
Lon

Japan

Post by Lon »

Accountable wrote: As have I. Been with them since the 90's. I'm thinking of moving my ROTH to Firstrade though. Vanguard charges $35 commissions for broker transactions vs Firstrade's $6.95 (zero on mutual funds).

I pay the $10.99 to "Ameritrade". They have some features that I like that are worth the addition $$$$.
Accountable

Japan

Post by Accountable »

Back to Asia, how long do you think it will take to get a good read on the Japan market with this scandal happening? Would you recommend staying clear, or is this a temporary slump?
Lon

Japan

Post by Lon »

Accountable wrote: Back to Asia, how long do you think it will take to get a good read on the Japan market with this scandal happening? Would you recommend staying clear, or is this a temporary slump?

My gut (hah) tells me it's temporary. Japan has shown a great resilency in business matters.
gmc

Japan

Post by gmc »

posted by flopstock

Wasn't that kinda the same attitude we had when our first first tech companies started falling apart? So lots of folks decided to just ride it out and got hammered.

Folk got hammered if they stayed in high tech stock that were all hype and all substance. A lot of them joined a bandwagon expecting easy money without thinking it through first, even banks were landing to companies that anyone with half a brain could see weren't going to last. I've no sympathy fo them at all. Did you pull out of the US when the Enron scandal unfolded? Should you panic because Russia might start trading it's oil in euros instead of dollars? Take a long term view, ignore economic analysts and use your common sense.

Have a look at european stocks, from our perspective the US is a higher risk than europe. Don't know about US based mutuals but the best performing asian fund managers here are the ones with offices out there with local researchers with their ears to the ground. If the Japanese economy doesn't recover and keep growing then everyone elses will be in trouble as well since they depend on international trade. Why worry?
Accountable

Japan

Post by Accountable »

flopstock wrote: Wasn't that kinda the same attitude we had when our first first tech companies started falling apart? So lots of folks decided to just ride it out and got hammered.
It's a tech sector that's being hit hardest here, too. Enron-type scandal with a tech company. The problem here, though, is that investors have less confidence in the Japanese market in general than we do in the US. I own Toyota Motors, and even it took a hit because of this.

My initial question was aimed at the general market because I'm thinking about investing in an index fund. Now I have to figure out if going single-stock is still viable or if I should just put my money elsewhere, like China or Korea.
Accountable

Japan

Post by Accountable »

Japan Stocks Bounce Back :yh_party

Return to “Wall Street to Main Street”