Reincarnation, Past Lives ETC

Discuss alternative healing (Yoga, Reflexology) and self-help type books for the mind and thoughts for the soul.
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

I would like to know what people think about the concept of reincarnation and past lives. I am really between 2 minds. About 4 years ago I went through a bad patch and for the first time in my life I felt myself confronting ideas tradionally against my Catholic upbringing. I have since become quite fascinated with the topics and have read loads of books. I still can't decide whether I truely believe but some of it certainly makes sense.

I have been reading things on another forum which shall remain nameless regarding peoples experiences and I must honestly say that I find some of them quite 'off the wall'.

It seems like they all have past lives dating back in certain cases hundreds of years.

I mean in all honestly, how the hell would you remember?

As you see I'm also a sceptic finding it hard to just believe something without scientific evidence.

Since I've started all this I have had the most amazing dreams though!! Do you think that you suddenly open up a little bit if you start dealing with all these topics?

I would be grateful for some feedback on this.

Thanks so much.
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

Reincarnation can seem exciting because you get chance after chance after chance to live again. The prospect is enticing because followers of Reincarnation tell you that you keep learning and becoming a 'better person' throughout your numerous lives. The power is in YOU!

It is in direct opposition to Christian teachings bascially because it denies Jesus as your Savior and puts ALL the power of eternal life within you.

Do you really believe that you can determine your ongoing existenance by "your own good works"?
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Hi Jenny,

I recently posted this on actionFigureSteph's thread..."Is this blasphemy?"

You may think its nuts but it made sense to me as it helped me see things more clearly. So here it is again:

I don't know if I can help, but I recently came up with a theory which explains things to me, although you may think it's naive or even total crap!

Let me start by telling you that 2005 was absolutely the WORST year of my life!

Firstly, my son broke his leg on the school trampolines. He was 13 and just about to start his teenage 'growth spurt'. The doctor said he has fractured his growth plate and we may find that one leg would grow and one wouldn't! He would then have to have major surgery on his leg, maybe even several ops, to stop the good leg from growing!

Next, my sister told a lie about me 'for fun'. It resulted in my mother calling me a "vindictive bitch" and she hasn't spoken to me since! No-one in my entire family has spoken to me since then either! It's been 11 months now!

Then I was told I had some cancerous cells which would require one treatment to cure. However the treatment didn't catch them all and I had to go back for more. In March, if its still there, I have to have surgery to remove it. After that I found I was diabetic and will need to take medication for the rest of my life. And injections hurt!

Next my daughter fractured her leg in an accident. Although mended, it still aches and she still has the scar. Then some good news, I got pregnant! I have wanted another baby since I miscarried twins 10 years ago. But with such a bad year, I was worried I might lose it....and 4 months later, that sadly happened!

Finally, my favourite aunt died! She was closer to me than my mum and she passed very suddenly. I saw my mum and sister at the funeral. My sis and bil turned their backs to me! And my mother said I was basically a miserable bitch and my bil was going to report me to the police for harassment because I sent my niece a birthday card! Nutter! My son asked why she hadn't called him to ask about his leg, as he had to have several xrays to see if his leg was growing or not. She shrugged and said "I dunno. I couldn't be bothered!" Some grandmother!!

We spent months worrying about my son and whether his leg would grow. Also we had tears from my daughter every night because she was being so badly bullied at school. The school were totally useless and the year head just said "Toughen up!" (She says that to ALL the bullied kids and I now find bullying is rife in the school!) I tried to send her to a different school but that Head said my daughters Head was a friend of hers and she should go back and face up to the bullies! I have finally pulled her out of school and am home-schooling her as she was just so utterly miserable!

Now hubby is off work as he damaged his leg at work. He's due back soon but I don't think he's going to be able to cope.

So it has been a year of worries and upsets. Oh, also I was VERY depressed for the last few months because of losing the baby. And I had no one in my family who even cared enough to talk to me about it.

Sorry, this is a long story!

Anyway, I wondered why we are all here, on this planet? Is it a fluke? We're born, we suffer, we die, generation after generation. Whats the point of our stupid little lives? Then I thought, look at our bodies, they are an amazing miracle. Everything has a purpose. If you get a cold, you breathe through your mouth so you continue to live. If one lung collapses, you still have another. Ditto kidneys. Ditto eyes, hands, arms, etc. Don't know why we don't have 2 hearts though! Lol!

So when you think about it, our bodies are perfect machines and surely something so perfectly designed MUST have a purpose in this life.

So then I thought, okay I have heard that we all have a purpose in this life. What if some people have a really major purpose and some only have a small purpose?

Take for instance, Prince Charles and Princess Diana. Diana did an amazing amount during he Royal life. She touched people, she hugged them. She made us aware of land mines, she showed us that people with Aids can be hugged, she opened our eyes and showed us a loving and caring side of the Royal family who, prior to her arrival, had been a bunch of frigid stiffs! She had a HUGE purpose in life! And Prince Charles married her! That's it! That's his purpose! Just a little thing! But she could never have achieved any of this if she were married to anyone else! So he was in the right position to promote her to her place in the world.

Then I wondered WHY some people have a more important purpose than others?

And WHY some people have so much more ill luck than others?

My son was born with kidney problems and operated on when just 3 days old!

My daughter is a chronic asthmatic who has spent quite a lot of time in hospital and has been on a life support machine, when the doctors told us she probably wouldn't survive! Yet my sister and my best friend both sail gaily through life. Neither of them have had anything bad happen to them, none of their kids have ever been in hospital, everything just seems to fall into their laps! Its frustrating! Not that I want anything bad to happen to them, but I look around and I see so many people around me with so few problems and we seem to have so many things go wrong! That sounds very self-pitying and I don't mean it to. I just wondered WHY?

Then I got to thinking about reincarnation, which I believe in. And I started thinking about the belief that you live several lives on this earth and each life has to be better than the last. When you finally live a perfect life THEN your soul can go to Paradise or the Elysian Fields or wherever you believe your heaven to be.

I also thought that some people say you are an old soul, meaning you have lived on this earth before. Which must mean there are new souls too. And I thought of those maxims people so often say, such as "The good die young" or the funny one about 'Why do the best ones die young when the miserable old bast*rds are here forever?" (I can't remember the exact quote! Sorry!)

So, putting all this together, I thought what if your soul lives a life, just like your human life? But what if your souls life was a thousand years or more, whilst your body's life was perhaps a hundred years?

New souls to this earth will be as babies or children all their lives. Children are loud, brash, argumentative, noisy and many people are like this too. My mother, for instance, argues about everything, has the arrogance to think she is always right when she rarely is and has never truly 'grown up'. Even though she's nearly 70 she has quite a childish and petty attitude. Perhaps such 'new souls', like children, cannot cope with too much hurt and so they lead 'easy' lives without too much pain or aggro. perhaps thats why some people seem to be able to just sail through life.

Then as your soul is reborn into a 2nd or 3rd life, it is a more mature soul. As adults many of us do suffer with pain, either physical or mental or emotional or all three. Maybe those of us who are older souls are given tasks or burdens which can help our souls 'mature'. Through our own pain and suffering we are able to open our hearts to others who hurt and help them in their lives. Maybe people are in our lives for only as long as they need us to help them before they are able to move on. Older souls see through skin colour or religion or other such petty considerations, which hamper the newer souls. Older souls are more giving, kinder, more generous souls. When you meet that rare person who is just SO lovely, SO kind and you think "I wish I were more like them", then surely that person is a much older soul than you. They are more experienced in opening their hearts to the world. They are less likely to reject others for any superficial reason.

Not forgetting that each soul must still fulfill its purpose within each lifetime, in order to grow and continue its spiritual journey.

Then, perhaps after several lifetimes, perhaps even after staying at the same level for a few lifetimes until the lesson which is necessary at that stage of the soul's life is learnt, perhaps then we too become old souls. I thought that at this stage there could be little left to learn. Maybe there is just one small thing we have left to do, or to understand, before we finally achieve our paradise. So perhaps, once all lifes lessone are learnt and our soul is in harmony with the universe, perhaps that is when we pass on to our true Paradise. And I wondered, without causing offense to anyone, whether this is why children die? Children shouldn't be allowed to die. But maybe, using this theory, maybe they have achieved the last little thing they needed to achieve before passing into paradise. They have no need to continue to live on. So while we see the desperate tragedy of a childs death, maybe they see it as the end of the souls journey into spiritual enlightenment.

I think its interesting that many of the people on this site are so similar. we all seem to be older souls who can open our hearts to each other and we attract similar souls to this site. We can still kick butt, proving that our souls still have lessons to learn but we all seem to understand where we're all coming from too.

And it doesn't matter how old you are in this life but how far advanced your soul is in ITS life.

I don't know if you think this is mad or even if you bother to read it because its so long winded! I just know that it explains a lot of things to me.

For instance, why do so many families never get along? Some are kind and understanding family members, some are bolshy gits! Yet perhaps this is older souls teaching younger souls the true meaning of life. Maybe your child is an older soul than you and perhaps you learn understanding or forgiveness from them.

This theory works for me. It explains why my mum is so loud and brash for her age. Perhaps, as a new soul, she is just learning how to deal with the world.

I also think Valerie has a point in her 'talking to angels' theory. I was VERY down before Christmas and I asked for angelic help (after all, who would know?) and I firmly believe, when I was at that lowest point, that I felt angel wings around my shoulders! I could even picture, and perhaps felt, the wing feathers tickling my ankles!

Now you think I'm a total nutcase. Maybe you're right. But I feel much happier since then and haven't felt anywhere near as low since! My theory helped me. Maybe it will help you to understand why we are given suffering at this point to help us grow and to lose the pettiness that we all have as children.

Anyway, I'm off to my nice padded soundproof womb...er...room now!

Nightey night.

Post by shadow man »

Interesting,

i guess if the body were too die and the spirit live , i would assume ' if possible ' it would depent on how strong the spirit is and the will too live, i no for certtin some people wish to live forever and some people wish there life was over, the life experience of a spirit would grow stronger and stronger in a person who wishes to live forever and has led a happy and fullfild life.

but this tread intreag's :thinking: me

so i'll be watching....:rolleyes:

Nice one again JENNYSWAN.

Did you find the tread i left for you.....Jennyswan:-4

Shadow....
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

Thanks Sojo and Thanks Sixyearsleft.

What an amazing story.

Mine is not similar in the things that happened but similar as in 2002 was the start of my hell. I'm much better now for 'being in hell'. Would I change it? NO! Because then I would not be the person who I am today. I know it may seem that I'm just superficial because most of my posts are 'funny' but at heart I'm different. I'm just a bit shy at sharing and I'm frightened of being judged I suppose. :o

I thank you so much for you comments and wish you both love and courage and a great 2006. :-4
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

Interesting,

i guess if the body were too die and the spirit live , i would assume ' if possible ' it would depent on how strong the spirit is and the will too live, i no for certtin some people wish to live forever and some people wish there life was over, the life experience of a spirit would grow stronger and stronger in a person who wishes to live forever and has led a happy and fullfild life.

but this tread intreag's me

so i'll be watching....

Nice one again JENNYSWAN.

Did you find the tread i left for you.....Jennyswan

Shadow....

Hi Shadow,

How's it going? Thanks for your thread. It was very sweet. :-4
shadow man

Post by shadow man »

jennyswan wrote: Hi Shadow,

How's it going? Thanks for your thread. It was very sweet. :-4

Hey..J/S

Laid upon a sofa with a pulled ligament in my back, so giving the keyboad some hammer this week. need a warm pair of soft delicate hands upon my spine BUT hey, dont all us men wish this..lol

guess i'll just have to suffer in silence..lol

we are all a little different than we appear, we can so easly put a front on, hell i do it most days, its a little like being a actor in a film I guess, but the difference is we have to because of circumstances in our lives not for cash...

but i know were your coming from.....life is a little like the life of a show jumper. a few hurdles a few brick walls and a few water splashes, we we all react differently to these chalanges.

Shadow;)
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

Hey..J/S

Laid upon a sofa with a pulled ligament in my back, so giving the keyboad some hammer this week. need a warm pair of soft delicate hands upon my spine BUT hey, dont all us men wish this..lol

guess i'll just have to suffer in silence..lol

we are all a little different than we appear, we can so easly put a front on, hell i do it most days, its a little like being a actor in a film I guess, but the difference is we have to because of circumstances in our lives not for cash...

but i know were your coming from.....life is a little like the life of a show jumper. a few hurdles a few brick walls and a few water splashes, we we all react differently to these chalanges.

Shadow

Hey Shadow

Poor thing. That must hurt like hell. I trapped a nerve in mine once in Germany. I thought I was dying.I think everybody around me did as well. I always feel very sorry for myself when I'm sick. I'm not a very good patient.

But keep hammering away at the keyboard.

I would be delighted if I could only type as fast I think :-)

On the subject of reincarnation, pyschics etc. I'm reading a book about Sylvia Browne at the moment and another one about Mia Dolan. Makes interesting reading but I don't know how much I believe.

I'm off to bed in a sec. Got to get my beauty sleep.

Get better soon.

:yh_hugs :yh_hugs
shadow man

Post by shadow man »

jennyswan wrote: Hey Shadow

. Got to get my beauty sleep.

Get better soon.

:yh_hugs :yh_hugs

i sure you dont need it....;) :-4

ttfn.....shadow
Jives

Post by Jives »

Well...seeing as how I have died and seen my own body from the outside, I'd have to say that it's absolutely certain that you don't cease to exist after you die.

(I'll repost that story if anyone wants me to.)

As to reincarnation...I sometimes get a strange feeling that I died at the Battle of Antietam in the Civil War. I seem to "remember" lying in the woods, slowing bleeding to death.

But that could just be my imagintion.:o
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Jives wrote: Well...seeing as how I have died and seen my own body from the outside, I'd have to say that it's absolutely certain that you don't cease to exist after you die.

(I'll repost that story if anyone wants me to.)

That was an absolutely AMAZING story Jives! Please do repost it because I would LOVE to read it again! Thanks. :)
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

shadow man wrote:

We are all different from how we appear. I think they described it very well in Shrek 2, when they said we were like onions. You just have to keep peeling off the different layers to find the heart beneath. :-6
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

Sorry if I offend anyone with this remark, but I have to wonder why so many people that "remember" past lives were all rich, privileged, royal, intelligent, and important. Does anyone wake up from hypnosis and go "Oh my god, I remember living in that cave and having all my teeth fall out when I couldn't find any food"?

Hi Snooze,

Certainly in the books that I've read some people have had horrific lives altogether. I will post some info if anyone is interested.

I would love to hear that story Jives :)
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

When I was young, I had an alligator that lived under my bed. He could only bite me if the lights were out.

So, I had to put the bathroom light out, run across the hall and do a flying leap into the bed before the light was completely gone and he could get me.

Needless to say, CD did not appreciate my Olympic leap. :sneaky:
SOJOURNER

Post by SOJOURNER »

SnoozeControl wrote: That's weird, when I was about 5, I had a phobia about alligators too, but I was convinced they lived under the houses between my house and the kid's halfway down the block where I used to play. So I'd run like a maniac the whole way.

You suppose the same alien took us both when we were little.............
Uncle Kram

Post by Uncle Kram »

SnoozeControl wrote: That's weird, when I was about 5, I had a phobia about alligators too, but I was convinced they lived under the houses between my house and the kid's halfway down the block where I used to play. So I'd run like a maniac the whole way.

Up to the age of 6, I lived in a house with a canal at the bottom of the garden. A sure-fire deterrant that my parents came up with was that it was full of crocodiles and they'd eaten a kid down the road. I didn't even wanna go in the garden, nevermind the canal

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeControl wrote: Sorry if I offend anyone with this remark, but I have to wonder why so many people that "remember" past lives were all rich, privileged, royal, intelligent, and important. Does anyone wake up from hypnosis and go "Oh my god, I remember living in that cave and having all my teeth fall out when I couldn't find any food"?Maybe the only people that remember, remember out of regret. :thinking:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I used to have a phobia about cows, but bulls never bothered me. Then I went through regressive hypnosis and found that I used to be a gay cowboy. :guitarist

But really, a cow attacked me when I was 18 months old. I never remembered the incident but was always terrified of cows when I was alone with them.
Slade1

Post by Slade1 »

Accountable wrote: I used to have a phobia about cows, but bulls never bothered me. Then I went through regressive hypnosis and found that I used to be a gay cowboy. :guitarist

But really, a cow attacked me when I was 18 months old. I never remembered the incident but was always terrified of cows when I was alone with them.

I am udderly shocked by this...
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Slade1 wrote: I am udderly shocked by this...
:wah: I admit I might have milked it a little for the attention. :rolleyes:
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

SnoozeControl wrote: She's coming to get you Accountable... be afraid. Be very afraid.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10796026/
Don't do that!!
Joe

Post by Joe »

Rapunzel wrote: Hi Jenny,

I recently posted this on actionFigureSteph's thread..."Is this blasphemy?"

You may think its nuts but it made sense to me as it helped me see things more clearly. So here it is again:

I don't know if I can help, but I recently came up with a theory which explains things to me, although you may think it's naive or even total crap!

This is a fascinating post, & very well expressed. I've copied it to my own forums, if that's OK, as I would like to refer back to it. But if you prefer me to delete the copy, just say the word & I will.

Your views offer a solution to something I've also wondered, & your suggestion offers a very good way of explaining the differences between people as they make their journey through their earthly life.

I like the idea of re-incarnation, & souls maturing through several life journeys in different people over maybe several centuries.

An intereasting suggestion for the deaths of children & 'good people' who die young too.

Maybe tied in with this question is the idea of people going through regressive hypnotherepy & coming back as someone from different periods of history, often from times & places they knew nothing about in their current lives. If souls do move from person to person as you suggest, then there MAY be credence in the idea they really did live as that person in a different time. I appreciate there are other explanations for these 'memories' too, but if they ARE real then we have a form of time travel available to us, & who knows what we may learn from it!?

I'd love to try this form of hypnosis myself, & see if I'm carrying 'memories' of a previous life. Sometimes I feel I'm living in the 'wrong' era, & I wonder if I'd have been happier living in a different era; one for which I may have been better equipped than I am for the one I'm living in now.
jennyswan

Post by jennyswan »

An intereasting suggestion for the deaths of children & 'good people' who die young too.

Maybe tied in with this question is the idea of people going through regressive hypnotherepy & coming back as someone from different periods of history, often from times & places they knew nothing about in their current lives. If souls do move from person to person as you suggest, then there MAY be credence in the idea they really did live as that person in a different time. I appreciate there are other explanations for these 'memories' too, but if they ARE real then we have a form of time travel available to us, & who knows what we may learn from it!?

I'd love to try this form of hypnosis myself, & see if I'm carrying 'memories' of a previous life. Sometimes I feel I'm living in the 'wrong' era, & I wonder if I'd have been happier living in a different era; one for which I may have been better equipped than I am for the one I'm living in now.

Hi Joe

Regarding the first statement about dying young, I have read in many books that this is because they have then fulfilled their destiny here on earth. For example the lesson that they needed to learn was one of sickness and early departure. In other words leave just when things are getting good. Secondly I have read that people make a make with each other before they incarnate that one will come back as the son/daughter etc and leave early (die young and perhaps suddenly) so that the other person can learn about very sudden and perhaps the most painful type of loss.

According to the books there is always somethings to learn from these situations.

I don't know if this would be any use to a parent who has just lost a child though.

In my opinion I do however without any hesitance believe in life after death. Something inside me tells me that this is just right :)

Regarding hypnotherapy I would be very cautious regarding this. Firstly I would only use a very qualified person who has references for doing this.

This can be very damaging otherwise and something that you may never re-cuperate from. I don't mean to scare you, just warn you from something bad happening.

All the best

Jen
Felinessa

Post by Felinessa »

I've been doing a bit of reading on hypnotherapy, and I haven't run into anything saying that it is dangerous. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have been approved as a valid practice.

But with regards to this, I've been musing about doing a regression session, although some of the research I've seen explains that hynotherapists ask leading questions and stimulate patients' imagination, to the point where it becomes obvious that the person doesn't actually "remember," but creates scenarios (albeit unawarely).

Now, since these hynotherapists have very hefty fees, I was wondering if anyone actually did a session. I think my worst disappointment would be to drop $350-500 just to be told that it didn't work in my case :wah: I didn't see them offering refunds either :mad: But if you did, I'd love to hear about your experience.
The power of MEOW
Felinessa

Post by Felinessa »

I'd like to know more. How do you go about finding out about your past lives without dishing a paycheque to a possible charlatan?
The power of MEOW
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Felinessa wrote: I'd like to know more. How do you go about finding out about your past lives without dishing a paycheque to a possible charlatan?Go visit really old senile people to see if they recognize you. It always works in the movies. :yh_glasse
Felinessa

Post by Felinessa »

Doh :rolleyes: Why don't I get brilliant ideas like that??
The power of MEOW
rainbowsmiles

Post by rainbowsmiles »

I would like to know what people think about the concept of reincarnation and past lives.

I believe in reincarnation and past lives - those two things make complete sense to me (more so than anything else) at this point in my life. I won't go on and on about how I came to that conclusion or I'll put everyone to sleep but...

A good book to read for those interested in reincarnation is "Mystery of Reincarnation" by Danelek - very convincing (if anything can be.)

I use a pendulum regularly and have used it to uncover information about past lives for my family members - some of which had an idea of what they may have been in their past lives and didn't share that knowledge with me yet through the pendulum I uncovered the same information. For myself, the pendulum maintains this life I'm living is my first incarnation.
ch4rlie

Post by ch4rlie »

the life force in a human or animal is palpable. when it leaves it must go somewhere. its physically impossible for something to vanish completely as far as i know.
Felinessa

Post by Felinessa »

Charlie!

You hounding me? :wah:
The power of MEOW
ch4rlie

Post by ch4rlie »

Felinessa wrote: Charlie!

You hounding me? :wah:

:sneaky: woof.
ch4rlie

Post by ch4rlie »

Hamster wrote: Exactly..."Energy can neither be created nor destroyed merely converted from one form to another"....Einstein??

And we are just a different type of energy....

i wonder if the energy is a whole or seperate beings.
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

Felinessa wrote: I'd like to know more. How do you go about finding out about your past lives without dishing a paycheque to a possible charlatan?

first, find a psychic who does past-life readings. regression hypnosis is not recommended unless the therapist performing it knows how to do it properly. a psychic, however does it for you and can go into some details, though not others since he/she has limited access to the information. i knew of one who had to prepair for a week before giving the reading, because of the need to gather information over several days.

if you choose regression therapy, make sure the person putting you under hypnosis has done regressions for more than just three or four. also, tape-record the session for further research which you can perform and also to be sure that the session was properly conducted. if possible have at least one witness present to confirm whatever results you may get.

lastly, be aware that you, if you can get into the proper state of meditation, can do your own past life reading but you should also tape record it for later viewing and researching the results.:-4 :-4 :-4

good luck in your search.
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

Well Jenn............I am torn between several worlds of thinking. I believe some psychics are right and can feel our loved ones who have passed. I am also almost sure there is not a heaven......so as you can tell I am very torn..

I do think that what any person believes gives them strength and that IS the most important belief.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

nvalleyvee wrote: Well Jenn............I am torn between several worlds of thinking. I believe some psychics are right and can feel our loved ones who have passed. I am also almost sure there is not a heaven......so as you can tell I am very torn..

I do think that what any person believes gives them strength and that IS the most important belief.

heaven and the other place being irrelevent at this time, the spirit lives on and those who have passed frequently make themselves known to us. as to what form, or through whom, they communicate, everyone is helped throughout life by those who have passed over. it may be a relative, or one you would call a stranger, but it's there anyway. most are unaware of the aid, but that's because they don't accept the possibility, npot the reality of it.:-4 :-4 :-4
Atlantia

Post by Atlantia »

I still can't make my mind up on this one. I don't think I could go with the idea of hypnosis to find out if I have lived before, because I believe that to be unreliable. However, that doesn't prove that reincarnation doesn't exist. They idea of coming back here, though is pretty worrying. Just not being me anymore, and being someone else, and having to go through school again. :(

I believe the spirit lives on, and I believe what Charles_r51 says, that everyone is helped throughout life by those who have passed over.
Some people think this is it;

fish think the same about the sea.
charles_r51

Post by charles_r51 »

Atlantia wrote: I still can't make my mind up on this one. I don't think I could go with the idea of hypnosis to find out if I have lived before, because I believe that to be unreliable. However, that doesn't prove that reincarnation doesn't exist. They idea of coming back here, though is pretty worrying. Just not being me anymore, and being someone else, and having to go through school again. :(

I believe the spirit lives on, and I believe what Charles_r51 says, that everyone is helped throughout life by those who have passed over.

hypnosis does work but is also disavowed by many as just so much bunk. i don't care for it, but for some paranormalists, it provides proof. proving that reincarnation exists cannot be done, not because it doen't but because the individual leaves any memories of a previous life behind so as to not be influenced by those past memories. life is a school, and like all schools, bringing pre-existing ideas into a classroom makes it difficult to learn something new. the number of times someone reincarnates is determined by what the person has learned, and what he did while he was learning. making the same mistake ovcer and over, lifetime after lifetime forces the person to have to return untill it has been decided correctly. this is especiall true for those who are obsessed with having something or doing something due to desire, not because the person needs it.

it is knowledge which can bring about the correct outcome, but many just refuse to accept the new idea. hence they have to return until they do.:-4 :-4 :-4
bigdumbswede

Post by bigdumbswede »

This planet certainly is a good schoolhouse. I had a great friend once who had been a member of the Theosophical Society and had given me several of Blavatsky's original texts. I loved to argue with her in those days, but she changed my life eventually. I still think of her fondly. She was a terrific teacher and a very old soul. Whenever life seemed particularly difficult, she loved to tell me,"Oh, well, the first 10,000 lives are the hardest you know." Or if I expressed a negative thought, she'd tell me, "now now, don't put that out into the atmosphere."

Is it anymore surprising to be born twice than only once? Or three times? Or ten? How can we not notice that everything in this life is recycled? Everywhere there is a cycle of life, death and rebirth.

There have been times when I have traveled and visited a certain region that something in my very being stirred, as if something in the very location said "home" to me as I approached. Certain areas in central Europe give me this sensation.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

I have to say that on these types of issues I'm a skeptic, though certain aspects of eastern philosophy in regards to say conciousness etc. are appealing on a personal level. But I think when you look hard and rationally at ideas such as their being a "lifeforce" or "energy" associated with human conciousness it appears pretty flimsy. For instance it was once widely believed that people were indeed animated by a spiritual force and when electricity was discovered it was believed that this represented such a force, (hence ideas like Frankenstein etc), but all the electro-chemical energy associated with human life and conciousness can be accounted for in terms of biological processes and there doesn't seem to me for there to be a need to resort to spiritual ideas to explain human life, though the mystery of the nature of conciousness and the existence of life itself remain intriguiging.

For me it seems plain that human beings are simply the result of a process of biological evolution that has been ongoing for about 4 billion years now and continues, that a species has evolved that in some small way is able to grasp the scale and complexity of the universe is amazing, but it is not necessarily implied that this was intended, or in the long term even sustainable and should we become extinct intelligent life may not arise again, who knows? I hope thats not the case as it would be a shame, but then being human myself I am biased.
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
weber

Post by weber »

Hi Jenny

I think that if you like an idea that is connected to a belief, you can allow that belief to become a part of you. Some things about my religion I don't like, some things in another religion appeal to me but I can't make the switch. I figure it has to do with what is in my heart. I really don't want to switch. I think it has a whole lot to do with what you want. Follow your heart.
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?

Return to “Body, Mind, Soul”