Plasma..LCD..Rear projection ???

Home Theater, Car Audio, Audiophile Systems, Tube Systems, and more.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I got a great deal on a 30" widescreen tv, brand new in the box $250.00, so I bought 2. Nice sets but for the living room its not enough screen. Ive got a pretty nice sound system so I want as much tv as I can get in the cabinet we have. Im going to sell one set and we set out to educate ourselves on sets today.

We have 40" of width to play with so that narrows things down. I thought LCD had the best picture, but I was informed they can be prone to malfunction. I saw a Samsung rear projection set 37" screen that looked good but you have to replace the bulbe every 3 yrs or so. $400.00 w/ tech call. Screw that ! Sony, Panasonic, Samsung and Magnavox had nice sets.

Im looking for info on my purchase before I buy. Advantages, disadvantages etc.

I can do something along the lines of a high definition 32" to 36" depending on the sets cabinet. It doesnt have to be plasma but Id prefer high def.

Can anyone feed my brain on this subject ?

Thanks.
I AM AWESOME MAN
pina

Post by pina »

Would you like my address to send me one of those tv's, seen as you missed my birthday last month. :sneaky:

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

pina wrote: Would you like my address to send me one of those tv's, seen as you missed my birthday last month. :sneaky:
he missed mine too.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

lady cop

Post by lady cop »

he missed mine too! my sister just got a 52" HDTV and she says it overwhelms her rec room. she also says she can see stuff that she could never see before, like crud in teeth. :yh_sick
Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

lady cop wrote: he missed mine too! my sister just got a 52" HDTV and she says it overwhelms her rec room. she also says she can see stuff that she could never see before, like crud in teeth. :yh_sick
uh... nice.

that's what i want to see when watching Jenna Jameson. whether or not she has plaque. right.:wah:

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

52" is a very big screen. 42" seemed perfect but its too large for the cabinet. Also Im wondering if Im looking at a high def plasma pic is there a noticeable difference between that and a regular high def pic ? If one of you guys want to pay for shipping Ill send you the 30" widescreen for $250.00 what I paid for it. Its a $800.00 set. It was a thingy my bro in laws bro was doing for work they had 80 of them left over and they were selling them to employees to recoup money for a company Carribean vacation. <----you believe that !?
I AM AWESOME MAN
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

if i wasn't going to England where there's no electricity, i'd take you up on that. a very good deal!! put it in our good deals forum, let me go look for it............
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

post it here Nomad............and i want a cut. .............................Shop 'Til You Drop

Hot Deals ................
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

ArnoldLayne wrote: we're getting gas you know :Dwell i won't need petrol since i have no intention of driving over there on the wrong side of the road. one roundabout and i'll be dead. :driving:
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I would do it for one of you guys if you wanted as a favor but it would be a hassle, I dont think Im going to have a problem selling it, and Ill have them just come get it.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I've been looking at plasmas vs LCDs, and more than one expert recommends DLP technology. It's supposed to be more durable and is a sharper picture, imo.

From Texas Instruments web page:

DLP® technology is a revolutionary display solution that uses an optical semiconductor to manipulate light digitally. It is a highly reliable, all-digital display chip that delivers the best picture across a broad range of products, including large screen digital TVs, and projectors for business, home, professional venue and digital cinema (DLP Cinema®). It's also a dependable technology used by leading display electronics companies worldwide, with more than 7 million systems shipped to more than 75 manufacturers since 1996.

DLP® technology is in use wherever visual excellence is in demand. It is also a highly versatile display technology. It is the only display technology on the market that can enable the world's smallest projectors under 2-lbs., and light up the largest movie screens up to 75 feet.

The result is maximum fidelity: a picture whose clarity, brilliance and color must be seen to be believed.

Jives

Post by Jives »

If you are on a budget, I highly recommned a flat screen CRT / HD. They are amazingly affordable, do not fade as plasmas do, and last for decades! I Have a 43 inch Phillips and unlike plasmas and LCD's I can play videogames all I want without the problem of burn-in.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
rem

Post by rem »

Jives wrote: If you are on a budget, I highly recommned a flat screen CRT / HD. They are amazingly affordable, do not fade as plasmas do, and last for decades! I Have a 43 inch Phillips and unlike plasmas and LCD's I can play videogames all I want without the problem of burn-in.

i totally agree with you but i got something better than that no need to worry about budget again got a business where these products and more can make you money back! check it out (rbutler.mlinternational.com) sorry though only available in uk at the mo.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

This is what I ended up with. Its a 37" Panasonic plasma HDTV. It got really good reviews in Consumer Reports. I hope I did the right thing. It barely fit in the cabinet, in fact I had to take one door off and its driving me nuts. Im anal about stuff like that, its gotta be just right. Im not getting high def yet because the cable co. has the cable cards on backorder for several weeks. So far Im happy as hell. *crossing fingers*
I AM AWESOME MAN
abortretryfail

Post by abortretryfail »

DLP all the way. Here's a site that will answer your rear projection questions: http://www.dlp.com/ I have a 67" Samsung DLP set - it's great. My cousin has an LCD set the same age with 2 dead pixels.
Deep_Respect

Post by Deep_Respect »

lady cop wrote: he missed mine too! my sister just got a 52" HDTV and she says it overwhelms her rec room. she also says she can see stuff that she could never see before, like crud in teeth. :yh_sick

Guess she found a downside to HDTV. lol
dick123

Post by dick123 »

Hello

Thinking of going big? Rear-projection HDTVs still offer the biggest screen for your buck, although falling prices among big-screen plasmas--58 inches and up--are forcing RPTV makers cut prices on their own. It's pretty obvious, in fact, that eventually RPTVs will go the way of the dodo as flat-panel HDTVs take over completely, but we're still a couple years away from that. Rear-projection sets start at a sizeable 50 inches and go up from there.

A sea change has been happening in the rear-projection market as this TV type loses ground to flat panels: makers are dropping out. Heavy hitters Sony, Toshiba, and Hitachi no longer manufacture rear-projection sets, leaving only Mitsubishi and Samsung with significant lineups among major names. Both utilize DLP technology--former rear-projection stalwarts LCD and LCoS are no longer widely available.
Replacement Kitchen Doors

Return to “Home and Car Audio”