Medications

Lon

Medications

Post by Lon »

I don't expect this post will be particularly well received, but I have very little enthusiasm for the amount of prescription meds taken by so many. I do not have a thyroid gland (thyroidectomy 3 years ago), so it's imperative that I take a replacment hormone. Diabetics of course must take insulin. I'm not talking about these folks. I am talking about the vast number of people taking all kinds of crap that may not be necessary at all. I have had normal blood pressure all my life, but 12 years ago, based on one blood pressure reading, taken after running through a parking lot and then waiting 45 minutes to see the doc, was prescribed blood pressure med to be taken the rest of my life. I dropped this doc and found someone more competent. Can't get it up, take a pill, feel sad and blue, take a pill, need to loose weight, take a pill, need to gain weight, take a pill. Do you know how rare it is to find someone that isn't taking some kind of drug? I am convinced that many of these drugs have negative consequences that are only being found out about years after they have been taken by millions of people. Vioxx is a good examle. And no, I'm not an alternative medicine freak, although I do think the medical profession needs a better understanding of some of these alternatives. How about you? Other than a little weed now and then, what are you taking?
lady cop

Medications

Post by lady cop »

Lon, can i use you for an excuse not to take all these damn meds? i never took a pill in my life, now i have 7 Rx and they make me nauseous all the time. :yh_sick (with or without food.)
chonsigirl

Medications

Post by chonsigirl »

No LC, you take your meds for now!

Lon, I agree there is over-perscriping of meds-only things that are necessary should be taken. I had a horrible reaction to Lipitor I had to stop it-but am going to have another bood test to see if I have to take a cholesterol drug. (it's all genetics with me-drop 50 lb, cholestrol goes up-who cares?)

Alternative therapy is also very beneficial-I use alot of different herbs in place of perscriped meds. Hormones cannot be replaced by herb, but some of your other meds most certainly can.
valerie

Medications

Post by valerie »

LC, you STOP THAT!! ;)

A few years back, a doctor prescribed Vioxx for me and gave me samples.

(I have bone spurs on both big toes, kinda painful) Well I took 1 or 2 of

them, had shall we say... speeded up lower GI. Told the doc about it,

all I got was "Oh yes, common side effect" HUH?!?!? I told him I'd rather

have the pain in my big toes than THAT. Never took any more, thank

goodness.

I try to get by with as little as possible. Took birth control pills for many

years, not sorry about that but won't take HRT, don't think I'll need it

really.

I do take a daily 81 mg. dose of aspirin.

:)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Medications

Post by lady cop »

geeze i can't get away with anything around here. Carla should be along any minute. :p .....i was shot in knee, had all kinds of surgery on it, then months of vioxx...now supposedly vioxx causes cardiac problems. i wonder about it a lot. :confused:
Bez

Medications

Post by Bez »

Lon.... "a little weed every now and then" ....I wish ....my daughter says I'm too old to start at 58.....meanie...

I have half a thyroid but happily it copes so no medication. I have high blood pressure but i only take 'water pills' for that....I reckon I have high BP because my cholestorol level was high....I am just watching what I eat for that. If I need pain killers which is rare I take Brufen tablets (for tooth ache etc). I have 1 multi vitamin with codliver oil every day...but that's all. I would never go on anti-depressants....and whenever poss i go for natural remedies like tea tree oil/cream for skin problems...there is also something called 'Neem Tree ' cream which is pretty good....oh yes...when I remember i take 1 aspirin tablet to keep the blood form clotting ??...best all round remedy....a nice big glass of red wine daily !!

If I get a cold I let it run it's course naturally....might put a bit of eucalyptus oil on a tissue to sniff . I do have an annual flu jab given free by my company though.

Bez
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
minks

Medications

Post by minks »

Do antihistamines count? I have to have those around me 24-7. Took anti-depressants for 6 months and begged to go off them and am ever so happy I did. Now baring the odd advil for headaches I take naught.

The pharmeseutical industry (sorry bad spelling) creates a kind of medical paranoia and develops these medical conditions at times. Then they flog the market with drugs. It is big business that is why so many folks are on meds. They are being manipulated into thinking they have something, anything wrong with them.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
pink princess

Medications

Post by pink princess »

lon i agree with you

i think people take things far too easily, got a headache - pop a pill, got a little niggly feeling in your little toe - pop a pill

i am 23 but was diagnosed at 22 with a stomach problem, i have to take medication for it for the rest of my life, 8 pills a day MINIMUM, if i have a flare up of any kind (which some of you know i just have....) i have to have intravenous steroids and then take a course of tablet steroids, combined with having to take various things to help with the problems the steroids can cause.... when i left hospital this time i was taking 21 pills a day..... i wish i didnt have to take them but im not prepared to stop and try alternative medicine because without question i would IMMEDIATELY have a flare up so i really dont have much choice

however i very rarely take anything if i have a headache, ill have a headache for 4/5 days rather than take something and i refus to take the pill because the idea of putting all those hormones in me and messing around makes me very nervous..... it cant be good for you, id rather leave as much as i possibly can to be how nature intended
life is what you make it

my boyfriend just proposed to me (05/05/05) and im blissfully happy!! :-4 im engaged!! i have a fiance!! :-4

um..... well thats a bit out of date! im married now! and married life is the best thing in the entire world! with my husband by side my life is complete

:-4
nvalleyvee

Medications

Post by nvalleyvee »

lady cop wrote: Lon, can i use you for an excuse not to take all these damn meds? i never took a pill in my life, now i have 7 Rx and they make me nauseous all the time. :yh_sick (with or without food.)

When BTS gets home you can bit*h with him on the meds thing. He will be doing the same thing as you for the rest of his life. I on the other hand only have 4 more years of taking tamoxifen every day.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
actionfigurestepho

Medications

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I'm on three blood pressure pills a day which I'm told will stop after I get my kidney...then I'll be on 20 some a day for eight weeks, then down to two or three. Now I understand a the anti rejection meds, but I saw the medication list and they want me to take all these antacids and sleeping pills and a coctail of things that I think are pure BS. When I was in the hospital in May they force fed me antacids every four hours. When I asked why they told me it was "for my stomach problem." Guess who didn't have a stomach problem? The meds were actually making me SICK to my stomach instead of helping it.

I'll take the anti-rejection meds. But I'll be damned if I'm going to buy another 200 worth of unnecessary pills just because the doctors are pimps for the pharmaceutical companies.

I totally agree with you Lon, they LOVE to give people meds for no apparent reason.
jenw

Medications

Post by jenw »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum. On the topic of medications...I'm not a fan per se, but when one has many illnesses--Fibromyalgia, depression, anxiety, hypothyroidism, insomnia...it makes it pretty tough. It's pretty easy to knock it sometimes if you don't have multiple health problems. Just a thought.

If there's anyone out there with any of these issues and have suggestions for alternative therapies, I'm certainly open to them. Yes, I've done acupuncture, I get massages, meditate, do yoga or other exercises and eat a pretty well-balanced diet.

I don't think drugs cure everything, and certainly don't pop pills for everything, but there are benefits for those of us with serious illnesses.

Yours in good health and an open mind!

Namaste

:)
Rapunzel

Medications

Post by Rapunzel »

I inject insulin twice a day and do finger prick tests to test my blood glucose levels 4 times a day.

I feel like a bloody pincushion!

And I agree, meds are pushed unneccessarily because the health service make so much money from it! Phooey!
tedhutchinson

Medications

Post by tedhutchinson »

jenw wrote: when one has many illnesses--Fibromyalgia, depression, anxiety, hypothyroidism, insomnia...it makes it pretty tough. It's pretty easy to knock it sometimes if you don't have multiple health problems. Just a thought.

If there's anyone out there with any of these issues and have suggestions for alternative therapies, I'm certainly open to them. Yes, I've done acupuncture, I get massages, meditate, do yoga or other exercises and eat a pretty well-balanced diet.

I don't think drugs cure everything, and certainly don't pop pills for everything, but there are benefits for those of us with serious illnesses.

Yours in good health and an open mind!

Namaste

:)This link http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pediatrics/ ... n/tb1/2404 shows the importance of Vitamin D in relation to cancer. half of the elderly in the U.S. are vitamin D deficient (a serum level of 20 ng/mL or lower) as well as 35% to 40% of the younger population, There should be sufficient sunlight even in Maine for you to get sufficient by direct exposure to sunlight around midday for about 20 minutes or so without sunscreen.

Vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia.

There is a link between Vitamin d and Depression

http://www.cholecalciferol-council.com/depression.shtml

Vitamin d enhances mood and will reduce your anxiety levels.

There are links between vitamin d and hypothyroidism.

So it is very important that you do get direct exposure to the sunlight particularly in the Winter by ensuring you go outside around midday, without sunscree/makeup/hat etc and expose as much skin as is you dare for up to 20 minutes or so.

Those living further north of Maine may care to use the calculator

http://zardoz.nilu.no/%7Eolaeng/fastrt/VitD-ez.html to work out if when the duration of vitamin d synthesis is where they live. Google Earth is brilliant way of find your latitude and longitude.
SOJOURNER

Medications

Post by SOJOURNER »

Vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia.

I never heard of this link before. I've known a number of people who have said they have this. How wonderful for them if all they needed was a bit of sun......:-6
tedhutchinson

Medications

Post by tedhutchinson »

SOJOURNER wrote: Vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia.

I never heard of this link before. I've known a number of people who have said they have this. How wonderful for them if all they needed was a bit of sun......:-6It's a sad reflection though on the state of US that 35% to 40% of the younger population are short of vitamin d and obese because the gun culture means parents feel it unsafe to allow their kids outside the house.
valerie

Medications

Post by valerie »

Hey, TedH, how about trying for comment on something else for a

change? Just a friendly suggestion.

It's starting to feel like you could/would link Vitamin D to just about

anything. Beat it to death and people start shutting down when

they see your posts!!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

tedhutchinson

Medications

Post by tedhutchinson »

valerie wrote: Hey, TedH, how about trying for comment on something else for a

change? Just a friendly suggestion.

It's starting to feel like you could/would link Vitamin D to just about

anything. Beat it to death and people start shutting down when

they see your posts!!

:-6My reply was to jenw. That is why I quoted what she was saying. I appreciate that I could have PM'd her the information about Vit d but it isn't exactly confidential and jenw may not be the only person with that combination of conditions, all of which have vitamin d deficiency as a common demoninator. There may of course be other triggering factors for each of those conditions but the bleeding obvious is the factor which is most often ignored because people take it for granted.

May I suggest you visit your My Settings then click Buddy / Ignore Lists and then add my name to the ignore section. That way you will do yourself and me a favour.

As this board is read by people who live in countries where the availability of sunshine strong enough to generate vitamin d isn't year round I feel it is appropriate to mention that this will impact on their health in the winter. It is also valid to point out that if you keep your children indoors because you consider it unsafe to let them outside then this also will have adverse consequences on their chances of getting Cancer Depression Mental Illness Diabetes Heart Disease Hypertension Obesity Multiple Sclerosis Osteoarthritis Muscle Weakness and Falls Chronic Pain VDDS and a few other things I can't remember at the moment.

It may be a boring message and I'm sorry I appear to be beating you over the head with it but the simple answer is for you to ignore me and I'll reciprocate.

Surely you wouldn't want people not to be told what they need to know.

Cheers Ted
valerie

Medications

Post by valerie »

Whoa, whoa, WHOA there, Ted!! Didn't mean to call up that kind of

heat from you!! If you'll remember, in an earlier thread I posted something

about Vitamin D myself, in agreement with you. I'll search it out and

bump it if you like!!

Thanks (:rolleyes: ) for the discourse on how to put you on my ignore list,

but I didn't need it!! Sheesh. Ignore list isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Especially if someone quotes a person, then you gotta read it anyways!

Get your panties in a bunch for nothing, I tell ya!! It was just a simple little

comment. I know I'm not the only one starting to think this way.

Ever heard of a "One Trick Pony"?

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

valerie

Medications

Post by valerie »

tedhutchinson wrote: My reply was to jenw. That is why I quoted what she was saying. I appreciate that I could have PM'd her the information about Vit d but it isn't exactly confidential and jenw may not be the only person with that combination of conditions, all of which have vitamin d deficiency as a common demoninator. There may of course be other triggering factors for each of those conditions but the bleeding obvious is the factor which is most often ignored because people take it for granted.

May I suggest you visit your My Settings then click Buddy / Ignore Lists and then add my name to the ignore section. That way you will do yourself and me a favour.

As this board is read by people who live in countries where the availability of sunshine strong enough to generate vitamin d isn't year round I feel it is appropriate to mention that this will impact on their health in the winter. It is also valid to point out that if you keep your children indoors because you consider it unsafe to let them outside then this also will have adverse consequences on their chances of getting Cancer Depression Mental Illness Diabetes Heart Disease Hypertension Obesity Multiple Sclerosis Osteoarthritis Muscle Weakness and Falls Chronic Pain VDDS and a few other things I can't remember at the moment.

It may be a boring message and I'm sorry I appear to be beating you over the head with it but the simple answer is for you to ignore me and I'll reciprocate.

Surely you wouldn't want people not to be told what they need to know.

Cheers Ted

Remember THIS?:

TedH is right (welcome to FG!!).

The reverse to this is also true... that a few minutes of sunshine on

bare skin in summer is all you need, not the hours that will cause

a burn.

Happy Vitamin D'ing, everybody!!

I rest my case!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

tedhutchinson

Medications

Post by tedhutchinson »

valerie wrote: Ever heard of a "One Trick Pony"?

:-6 No it's not a saying we use in the UK.

But I've got a few hobby horses so if you get bored with my Vitamin D rant I can offer you the Omega 3 rant, the Green Tea rant and I'm also quite prepared to discuss the effect of Carnitine on Erectile Dysfunction if you want to know. So although the lectures may be boring they are all fully researched and if you ever think I post anything which you think isn't true I'll be pleased to cough up the proof immediately.

I tend to put some links in but I don't put as many in as I could for fear of being a bore.

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”