tropical fish

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

tropical fish

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

Happy new year to you all - i was just wondering if anyone has ever kept tropical fish and had any knowledge of puffer fish ive just acquired one and their quite aggressive any tips would be greatfully received.xx:confused:
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
nvalleyvee

tropical fish

Post by nvalleyvee »

pantsonfire321@aol.com wrote: Happy new year to you all - i was just wondering if anyone has ever kept tropical fish and had any knowledge of puffer fish ive just acquired one and their quite aggressive any tips would be greatfully received.xx:confused:

Freshwater puffers are very aggressive and if you have it with other more docile fish they will all be finless within 2 weeks. Feed this guy frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood worms, or other frozen MEAT fish foods. They will die if you try to feed them flake food. What else do you want to know?
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
valerie

tropical fish

Post by valerie »

Aggressive with each other or other types of fish? You might have to

remove all other fish from the tank. Other than that, the largest tank

possible (fewer number of fish) and give the other ones places to hide,

rocks, plants etc. and feed good quality food. (Live brine shrimp might

help some)

Good luck!

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

pantsonfire321@aol.com

tropical fish

Thanks - i was told about the aggression but not about the feeding requirements luckily i feed bloodworms and daphnia (live ) when ever i can get it so again thanks

Accountable

tropical fish

Post by Accountable »

And don't invite any Japanese chefs over. They're always trying to show off.
Nomad

tropical fish

Post by Nomad »

I kept a 90 gl. saltwater tank for several yrs. The principle is the same. Fish can be very temperemental and territorial, so when I introduced a new species to the tank I would rearrange the coral so they all had to find new hiding spots at the same time. Some fish just arent compatible in the same area unless youre tank is large enough and even then sometimes not.

Keep your temps good, get a water testing kit at the very least for ammonia and nitrates and keep an eye out for damage. If the fish are getting stressed you might find spots (ich) or ragged fins, cloudy eyes etc. You can pollute the entire population by mismatching breeds so ask a lot of questions and there are some informative books at all the shops. You might consider a salt tank, the difference is enormous and 100% more satisfying.

(walleye mentioned frozen meat as a diet *who would no more than walleye* but occasional greens are a healthy additive. Romaine lettuce is good, just clip it on the side of the tank, and theres a formula 2 that has essential ingredients)
I AM AWESOME MAN
lady cop

tropical fish

Post by lady cop »

i live in the keys. people are down here hunting tropicals, most dive shops won't sell them air. the poor fish never last 6 months.it's wrong. :(
chonsigirl

tropical fish

Post by chonsigirl »

Are the freshwater type of pufferfish very different from the salt water? (in appearance)
pantsonfire321@aol.com

tropical fish

Thanks for all the advice - i just cant believe the shop didnt tell me about the feeding requirements. ive got a three foot community tank basic spieces guppys, mollys, swords, tetra ,dolla, red tail shark, ghost , every thing is breeding (not the shark)the first day the puffer ate one baby and another fish sooo ... babys to stay in breeder boxs untill they are much bigger and now i know the feeding requirements for the puffer fingers crossed .

nvalleyvee

tropical fish

Post by nvalleyvee »

chonsigirl wrote: Are the freshwater type of pufferfish very different from the salt water? (in appearance)

Yes Freshwater are different from the Saltwater. There are some saltwater that are poisonous - not just for eating............if you touch their spines they release a toxin that HURTS LIKE HELL. A Dogface saltwater puffer is one of the most passive they sell (eats live fish only). I could go on but it just makes me miss my salt tank.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Nomad

tropical fish

Post by Nomad »

This can be done your pants are on fire. It takes effort but so does a fresh water tank.
I AM AWESOME MAN
pantsonfire321@aol.com

tropical fish

nice tank .

chonsigirl

tropical fish

Post by chonsigirl »

Are those your fishies Nomad? I love the yellow tang..................:)

Return to “Pet Advice Support”