Men and birth control

actionfigurestepho

Men and birth control

Post by actionfigurestepho »

I'm shocked at how many men I talk to who have no idea what various forms of birth control do, how they work, who don't understand the difference between the morning after pill and the abortion pill and who are generally bumbling around relying on whatever their girlfriend tells them regardless of whether or not it's true. This could be totally generational, but it disgusts me. In fifth grade, every year we'd split up. The girls learned EVERY YEAR about the birth control---numbers, statistics, combinations, and yes, abstinance. What the heck were the boys learning?

Even if it's going into the woman's body, shouldn't the man know what kind of protection they're using as well? And shouldn't he know the facts for himself?

What are your thoughts on this? Were you guys educated as well as your lady counterparts? I know age will be a huge factor in this. Personally I think after a certain age the sex ed stuff should be co-educational. If we can't talk about it together, it makes it harder to talk about in general. When you're 14, it makes it seem sort of secretive and shameful.
actionfigurestepho

Men and birth control

SnoozeControl wrote: I know you're a lot younger than I am, and I'm very surprised to hear the boys were still separated from the girls during sex ed. I mean, you need one for the other, if that makes sense... the kids should learn how each is involved. Maybe that's part of the problem?
Well I know at first we were separated because of the maturity factor. We were 12 or 13 when we first learned about the wonders of puberty. Everytime someone said "penis" the boys would go into frenzied laughter and the girls would look embarassed. But at some point after we were all on our way we DEFINATELY should have been put in the same room. I'm sure there would still be laughter and shifty looks, but we would have gotten over it.
Accountable

Men and birth control

Post by Accountable »

I grew up in rural redneckville. No formal sex education. I thought the morning after pill & abortion pill were the same. I'm glad I don't have kids.
nvalleyvee

Men and birth control

Post by nvalleyvee »

Accountable wrote: I grew up in rural redneckville. No formal sex education. I thought the morning after pill & abortion pill were the same. I'm glad I don't have kids.

Growing up rural means you learned sex education from the farm animals and other kids..........:wah: I know.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
actionfigurestepho

Men and birth control

SnoozeControl wrote: I still think the morning after pill and the abortion pill are the same, but then I'm too old too really worry about it.

What's the diff?
The morning after pill is just a high dose birth control pill. It'll prevent you from ovulating. Since sperm can live inside a fallopian tube for 4-5 days, this will can help prevent the two from meeting. If someone's already pregnant, it's not going to terminate the pregnancy. You could probably take a few days worth of a regular oral contraceptive and get the same effect. The abortion pill will actually destroy the embryo and flush it from the body.
Bez

Men and birth control

Post by Bez »

I think the tables have turned over the years. Before the pill, it was the guys reponsibility to use condoms to stop 'getting the girl into trouble'. Once the Pill appeared it seemed to be the girls responsibilty. From what i see and hear nowadays, a huge percentage of young guys and gals don't take any repsonsibilty at all.....

As for sex education...I'm all for it....it shouldn't be shied away from and it should be repeated until it sinks in, particularly focusing on the outcomes of irresponsible sex.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Azrayel

Men and birth control

Post by Azrayel »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I think every child should be sterelised untill such a time as it can be proved they are fit to be parents, then they can apply for it to be reversed. Then they are free to have the children they deserve and those children will be loved.

Yeah, draconian I know but too many kids are getting pregnant for the wrong reasons. Too many abused and unloved kids in the world ( most of them in the "civilised" Western world )
sorry I have to strongly disagree with you. I met my fiance when I was 22 she was the same age as me but older by a month. We fell in love, but within the 2 weeks we knew each other we found out we were pregnent. We were devistated and in that months time we contimplated abortion since we both had hardly any money. WE decided that we were going to be together forever anyway and that having the baby was a sighn.(I lived at home at the time and my parents would not let me leave the house. I would get heavy guilt trips and I had no freedom. I worked hard but looked at like I was still there 5yr old son) In my eyes this was my escape. We had a beautiful baby girl who is the best mistake that I could have ever made. I have no regrets to what we decided and niether does she. I cannot even imagine my life without my imediate family. I have to say that if we had to apply for the right to have a baby and prove that we would be good parents than none of us would be allowed to have kids.
Azrayel

Men and birth control

Post by Azrayel »

SnoozeControl wrote: No offense and I apologize ahead of time, but have you considered a paternity test?
none taken Snooze. If you see my daughter it is unmistakeable....even if she wasn't by blood she would be by soul.
Rapunzel

Men and birth control

Post by Rapunzel »

Azrayel wrote: sorry I have to strongly disagree with you. I met my fiance when I was 22 she was the same age as me but older by a month. We fell in love, but within the 2 weeks we knew each other we found out we were pregnent. We were devistated and in that months time we contimplated abortion since we both had hardly any money. WE decided that we were going to be together forever anyway and that having the baby was a sighn.(I lived at home at the time and my parents would not let me leave the house. I would get heavy guilt trips and I had no freedom. I worked hard but looked at like I was still there 5yr old son) In my eyes this was my escape. We had a beautiful baby girl who is the best mistake that I could have ever made. I have no regrets to what we decided and niether does she. I cannot even imagine my life without my imediate family. I have to say that if we had to apply for the right to have a baby and prove that we would be good parents than none of us would be allowed to have kids.

I agree with you too Az. I started dating my hubby on a Tuesday and within 2 days I knew he was the one for me. On the friday (3 days later) we were messing around in my room...one thing led to another and oops! we fell pregnant! All our friends recommended an abortion but we just KNEW that we were meant to be together. At the time I was a live-in nanny working for some American TV producers and he had literally just split from his wife (she was having an affair!) and we would not have passed any test as we had no home and no money either. However, 16 years later we're still together and we have a home (but still no money, thanks to our kids! hehe)

However, sorry to hijack the thread, but one thing I agree with is that too many men leave all the contraception to women. I don't include the men here as they all seem to be very thoughtful and sensitive to ideas. My friends husband summed up the situation when she wanted him to have the snip following her two pregnancies which were terrible for her. She had, previous to that, spent years on the pill until they decided they could "afford" to have children. Anyway, she asked him to have the snip because it is much easier to do in men and the recovery time is much faster. He refused! He said he didn't want his body being messed with! But it was okay for her to have years on the pill which perhaps damaged her body, plus two appalling pregnancies which left her totally depressed and needing surgery. What an arse! Yet far too many men dont want to use contraception because they are not the ones getting pregnant and they don't think far enough ahead to worry about infections! Okay, rant over.
wizard

Men and birth control

Post by wizard »

ArnoldLayne wrote: . Too many people who are unfit for parenthood.

The Humane Society/RSPCA, rightly, vets potential pet owners so that they may offer the best chance for the cats and dogs. Yet anybody can bring a child into this world

That's exactly what I say!!!!!!!!!! :yh_ooooo
Azrayel

Men and birth control

Post by Azrayel »

I don't think that men have a isue with birth control. I think that they put too many different products out for women then men. If they had a pill, or shot that we could take too , I know I'd take it. As far as your husbands vasectomy(sp) Rapunzel just tell him that "the snip" is easily reversible. Where as the health damage that you will suffer in your latter years may not be. I know this because my fiance is on the depo shot and they are saying things like a calcium deficiency that may lead to brittle bone. We have to make the same decision that you two are discussing now. :(
czar

Men and birth control

Post by czar »

I just want to know why some people make excuses for their "oops". You can't really say that you didn't know how to not get pregnent. At that time it's more about what's going to happen than about being safe. Knowing what's going to happen overpowers right from wrong. It's like drunk love, you don't care about the outcome at the time just as long as it happens. Sex is like a drug, onces you have it you want it again and again. Your not going to stop what your doing to be safe, because it feels to good. :D The only time I will take an excuses is if you are really young and a virgin.
actionfigurestepho

Men and birth control

Azrayel wrote: I don't think that men have a isue with birth control. I think that they put too many different products out for women then men. If they had a pill, or shot that we could take too, I know I'd take it.
This is certainly an issue, although as a girl I know that I certainly took the time to learn about condoms just in case. I think that if sex ed were more combined, everyone would learn about it together and you wouldn't have the cases where one partner is totally unprepared for the kind of protection being offered. In my scary little part of Ohio, it's extremely common for the ladies to lie to the men about their contraceptives for the sole PURPOSE of conceiving. Sad, but true. Obviously if you're having sex at all you should still be prepared for the possibility of pregnancy, but that possibility could be reduced so much if both partners were educated. After all, making a baby takes two people, I don't know why making the decision on protection shouldn't involve the same care. I'm not just criticizing men---if condoms are the contraceptive of choice, the lady should be prepared to carry it too. I don't know, maybe I'm just disgusted with the guys my age. If you're old enough to have sex, you're old enough to educate yourself for crying out loud.
TenneseeGirl

Men and birth control

Post by TenneseeGirl »

OK Well I am all for manditory sterilization. A LOT of people just should not breed. A licence to procreate would solve many of our problems and it would cut down on the up and coming over population problem. but thats just me
~~~~~

Just some food for thought. Swallow it or not that's up to you.:lips:
Accountable

Men and birth control

Post by Accountable »

TenneseeGirl wrote: OK Well I am all for manditory sterilization. A LOT of people just should not breed. A licence to procreate would solve many of our problems and it would cut down on the up and coming over population problem. but thats just meWho gets to decide? Who gets to define good and bad?
Accountable

Men and birth control

Post by Accountable »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Me ! I volunteerWe have a volunteer!

Anybody willing to let Arnold decide if you deserve to have children?
TenneseeGirl

Men and birth control

Post by TenneseeGirl »

i dont know who gets to decide... someone awesome... someone with common sence... ummm i voulinteer my mom NV knows where its at
~~~~~

Just some food for thought. Swallow it or not that's up to you.:lips:
Uncle Kram

Men and birth control

Post by Uncle Kram »

Most of us guys these days are up to speed regarding contraception, but I think if they made those condoms a little smaller, they'd be much easier to swallow

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
lady cop

Men and birth control

Post by lady cop »

i must be old or something. i don't like condoms. i guess it's OK for those who have multiple partners. but i don't feel i need them with my man. we only love each other. i understand HIV, most hookers i arrest have it.
Uncle Kram

Men and birth control

Post by Uncle Kram »

lady cop wrote: i must be old or something. i don't like condoms. i guess it's OK for those who have multiple partners. but i don't feel i need them with my man. we only love each other. i understand HIV, most hookers i arrest have it.

I met a trucker last week who was HGV positive

lady cop

Men and birth control

Post by lady cop »

what's really bad is the babies these bimbos produce....i have to go serve them with removal papers. they scream and cry, but i don't give a ****, i busted them giving blow jobs on their knees in the bank parking lot for a buck. then i take them to hospital and they give birth then leave the hospital. they don't give a rat's arse for their babies. i took a baby from a 22 year old with 5 kids!! good god.
Uncle Kram

Men and birth control

Post by Uncle Kram »

lady cop wrote: what's really bad is the babies these bimbos produce....i have to go serve them with removal papers. they scream and cry, but i don't give a ****, i busted them giving blow jobs on their knees in the bank parking lot for a buck. then i take them to hospital and they give birth then leave the hospital. they don't give a rat's arse for their baby.

Shows how much I know ! - I always thought you couldn't get pregnant from a blow-job

Uncle Kram

Men and birth control

Post by Uncle Kram »

lady cop wrote: let me tell you, since i'm pissed...i know a shitload of white girls who have babies with black guys,they like to say 'my baby's daddy'...i go to the jail. the white girls ask me to pass messages to their boyfriends down in isolation, it makes me puke. they have big tattoos all over their legs and they are all crack whores, my taxes have to pay for them. they suck. they're whores. ugly and stupid. toothless and nasty.

You're not impressed are you?

lady cop

Men and birth control

Post by lady cop »

i worked the jail once. i was very popular because i made the inmates laugh. this little jewish lady kept going to bible study and leaving early. which was not allowed. so one day i said 'why are you leaving bible study?' she said because they kept mentioning jesus. so i said well, if you go to bible study his name might come up. they still laugh over that one.
Uncle Kram

Men and birth control

Post by Uncle Kram »

good one LC

Bez

Men and birth control

Post by Bez »

Uncle Kram wrote: I met a trucker last week who was HGV positive

And the bus driver was PSV.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Uncle Kram