You Your Neighbors

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
Pearl Harbor

You Your Neighbors

Post by Pearl Harbor »

How do you get along with your neighbors?

Do you want to get along with them? Or, would you like to remain at a distance?

If you live in the city do you even know who they are?

Is it a good thing to get to know your neighbor?

Was there ever a time you felt like hanging your neighbors from their toes?

Do you need to vent about your neighbors?

Please share your stories. What things have you learned and what advice can you share?

Any and all interesting neighbor stories are welcome!
Paula

You Your Neighbors

Post by Paula »

We are respectful to our neighbors? If they need anything we help out also. I think it's about reputation, we strive to keep it good. Have no problems with neighbors...
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Popper

You Your Neighbors

Post by Popper »

Having recently moved into an apartment block, I can say that I now have more neighbours than I need. Not that I'm not friendly, in fact I've made friends with the people who live right next door to me, but I also find that there are too many people to deal with. This is apartment living I guess or maybe I'm just in a block with a lot of weirdos. For example, a few times when I'm driving into the driveway to park my car in the garage, there are a people playing cricket in the driveway and won't move. Even though they can see my car approaching. If I lived in a house and we had our own driveways, I won't have to deal with this sort of stuff.

So yes, I think it would be nice to know your neighbours, but only if we had our own piece of property!!
minks

You Your Neighbors

Post by minks »

Good topic and it has been touched upon in another thread in a bit more detail...

But anyroad...

I moved from a very lovely neighborhood, where we were roughly all about the same age and all the children played together so you had to know your neighbor and respect them as you never knew which mom was out on the front step watching the mass of kids, so it became very pleasing and trusting. 2 in particular I loved and we had a great rapport with.

I had to move into a smaller less influential neighborhood. Kids are all differnt ages, and that sure influences who you will chat with or not. The kid ages are from infant to 20+ and some with no kids. Sooo Lady across street, a gem and new to my area like me, would like to know her better.

Neighbors to the east, wish they would be struck by lightning, he is an abusive drunk and I noticed they children have been removed from the home for about a month now. He has been seen out at nites in a total drunk rage abusing public property. I have phoned the police on them once already due to excessive noice at 2:00am. Neighbor to the West, single, old and a bit crusty. Not to social but I did have to ask for help with a flat tire one day and he obliged. So it is a matter of how close you want to get to them and why, and what you may or may not have in common.

I think we should know at least one neighbor and develop a good trust because you never know when you may be in a time of immediate need.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
A Karenina

You Your Neighbors

Post by A Karenina »

I live in an old house that has been converted into 4 apartments. I don't like the girl across the hall from me because she likes to slam the door repeatedly at 2am and she lets her kitten cry for days on end before she comes back home to care for it.

The couple who live above me are sweet, very young, and mellow, kind people.

The single guy who lives above and across from me is a very nice person, too. I often catch him eating dinner in his car because he has 5 cats and they give him no peace when he tries to eat at home. :wah:

We take packages for each other, lend things when needed, visit with one another's cats, and have mild neighbor-type conversation. Very nice.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
BabyRider

You Your Neighbors

Post by BabyRider »

Our neightbors are afraid of us...must be all the motorcycles, leather and tattooes. :yh_think
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

koan

You Your Neighbors

Post by koan »

I have the "perfect" neighbour (canadian yet again) across the street. He helps everyone, puts up great decorations and brings homemade perogies. He does keep trying to give me a massage though...maybe he is not so perfect. In fact he was trying to sell these windmill things one year and made one with little clacky marbles in the spokes that made this horrible racket. I didn't know what to do until finally I offered to buy it if he promised never to make another one. He took it rather well and removed the hideous offence, without making me pay for it.

The neighbours on my right are good people. The talk, wave and lend me ladders etc.

The neighbour on my right is a nosy peeping "Tom". I decided if she's going to watch me I'd give her a show. I'll leave it at that. Surprisingly, she still waves at me. :D
Peg

You Your Neighbors

Post by Peg »

We've been here less than a week so I really don't know what the neighbors will be like. Our old neighbors were great. If these are half as nice, we'll get along just fine.
capt_buzzard

You Your Neighbors

Post by capt_buzzard »

Florrie wrote: I have lived at different addresses all over the place, inc USA, Spain, Ireland, UK, and never had any bother UNTIL the last one, where my next door neighbour was the most unbearable unreasonable stuck up cow :p I ever encountered.

Even thinking about her makes my blood boil :mad: . What part of Spain were you Florrie?
samanthaguy

You Your Neighbors

Post by samanthaguy »

My neighbors are pretty nice the one on the left is an older lady, her daughter and her granddaughter. They bring over baked goods all the time, and they love my kids, they are very helpful. The ones across the street, i havent met the parents but the kids are pretty cool we've lived here for a year and still havent met them and probably never will. As for the neighbors on the right unless we visit the church we'll probably never meet all of those, but the preacher is very nice.We like to keep to ourselves,dont mind being nice, but like to keep to ourselves.I have to say its nice not to have those kind of neighbors who always have their noses stuck to the window, we have 6 dogs and they always manage to find a way out of the fence and eat the neighbors trash and they havent complained yet... ALL IN ALL WE HAVE GREAT NEIGHBORS....
:confused:VERY OPEN MINDED....BUT OFTEN CONFUSED......
Aura

You Your Neighbors

Post by Aura »

My next door neighbour is a pain in the !"£$%"£. he's so nosy and has often tried reporting me to the housing association of which we are part of. he's often refurred to as 'Garden Shed', because he was caught doing things with his brother by his mum when in a garden shed as boys.
lady cop

You Your Neighbors

Post by lady cop »

i've had to arrest half of mine, and take a few out at gunpoint...well at least they don't bother me. :D ......dumb dirtbags move into the area and start selling drugs, right next door to a cop. DUH. kind of a big turnover in the neighborhood, from here to jail and then the next ones move in.
Aura

You Your Neighbors

Post by Aura »

We don't have guns where I come from, show the neighbours one and they all heave heart attacks before calling out Special Squad! Are you in the police force if you don't mind me asking?

The most we get here is when the nightclubs begin emptying at 2am, and the occasional stabbing.

:)
lady cop

You Your Neighbors

Post by lady cop »

Aura wrote: Are you in the police force if you don't mind me asking?

yes, i am a deputy sheriff... you may notice my name is lady COP and i have a police car as my avatar. also, i said i ARRESTED them. :)
ccreed6

You Your Neighbors

Post by ccreed6 »

All of my neighbors are great with the exception of the one to the north of us.I really,really,really do not like them.They can be a real pain in the back side.

What makes it worse is,not only are they my neighbors,they are my inlaws.
Aura

You Your Neighbors

Post by Aura »

I think our policemen are a bit tame over here, then again I could be frightfully wrong :)
minks

You Your Neighbors

Post by minks »

I would like to expand on my "neighbors" story a little, in light of what has gone on recently.

I live in an area where our properties are smallish and with a room mate who owns a 3/4 ton truck and I own a mini van parking out front of our home is a challenge. We take a fair bit of room parked end to end but we do our best to squeeze in with very little overlap to the east neighbor and west neighbor. Well often times other people park in front of my house or others when they come a visiting. I got home one day to see someone parked right smack in front of my house and with no regard to spacing just plunked in the middle leaving all kinds of space in front but not enough for a vehicle. Rude I thought so I parked 3 houses away as that was all I had available being polite I left the space for west neighbors as it was in front of their house. Soooooooooooooooooooo West comes by after a botched attempt at parallel parking asking us to move the truck up so she could get in. (she could have if she had any sense on how to parallel park) I said no, sorry I can't do that. She said well whose car is that is it your brothers or something. I said I have not idea. She goes on to say... parking is a bit of a problem here (keeping in mind I am a very polite person, and in the back alley these people have a car pad but never use) I continue to bite my tongue. She then goes on to say well **** is getting a second vehicle soon guess we will all be racing home for parking. I looked her in the eye and said "you know we make every effort to squeeze in to our space, it is all dependant on east neighbors parking and how far he pulls ahead. I said I have parked 3 houses away today because I can't get into my space here, I can't move this truck and get over it hunny that is life. Well once she heard all that she backed right off and left and went home. So about half an hour I looked out and she was re-parked and crammed right up on my room mates rear so he could not have got out. So he went over and told her that what she had done was ignorant. Please move back as she had 2 feet behind her. ... And the saga continues. It is just insanity. You see here to park in front of your house on the street is not your right it is a privledge as that is all public parking and the street belongs to the city.

Grrrrr I can't tolerate stupidity

― Mae West
minks

You Your Neighbors

Post by minks »

pixiechic2000 wrote: Hi Minks...

I can totally relate to your story. I had a very similar situation at a place I used to live. The guy had two large slabs of concrete to park behind his house, but instead chose to park on his sidewalk which ran parallel to my driveway. This gave me, my daughter and husband just inches to open our car doors. It was very cramped.....

When I confronted him about this, he flipped out, called me every swear name. I had to go to the city office and make a complaint. An inspector came, investigated the problem. He told the neighbor he couldn't go up over a curb and use the spot to park or he would be ticketed!!!

After that, the guy told me he would make my life a hell. He called animal control on my "indoor dog" and made false complaints and the list goes on... :mad:

A true psycho by nature. Errr......... :-5

Oh good lord you sound like you live next door to my neighbors, you sure your not on the other side of them.... you know when I moved into my house, it was for sale as was the one on the other side of these annoying neighbors, I should have taken that as a warning sign huh hehehehe. Well another story from the neighbors file, one nite I was awoken (our houses are very close together and thin) to loud vocal noises. By the time I was fully awake I determined it to be a male yelling. I figured it out to be West side so looked out my window to see if he was inside or outside and saw nothing outside so thought ok back to bed and try and sleep. But then "BANG" I lept up to see and he was outside the front door yelling and screaming to no one. He courched in the classic football tackle stance and proceeded to tackle his fence on his west side. I was amazed at his idiocy. Then he went back inside and more yells and now loud loud bangs. Now get this, he woke up my daughter who sleeps on the opposite side of the house and can sleep through anything. Well I started to worry he was beating on Ms West Neighbor, so watched more and he came out of the house again carrying the top of his kitchen table, threw it to the ground, yelled and stomped on it like a real he man ape. Took a cement cap off a pilar and threw that on to it as well. By now I am very worried about Ms West who lives with him. He then staggered past my and the room mates vehicles and I thought if he touched either that would be it a quick 911 call. Then he vanished down the street. I snuck out the back and could hear him in the street and went to the back window of his house to look for the lady. What I saw in the window horrified me, he had smashed all the kitchen furniture to bits. So I left immediately and went inside to call the police, but when I went to the front of the house to see if I could see him, I saw the police were already picking him up. Later I saw Ms. come home alone she had to tidy up the front yard at 2:00am by herself before what she likely thought any of us saw. How humiliating. I was going to offer my support until I saw the next day he was back there and remains there still. I lost all faith in her as a female human when she accepted the jerk back.

― Mae West
Aura

You Your Neighbors

Post by Aura »

My neigbour has a death sentance hanging over him, it's when their going to strike is the question.

weeder

You Your Neighbors

Post by weeder »

When I was a young mother Lived in an apartment in New york for many years. I was very friendly with all of my neighbors. As I started to move around, I was still interested in being friendly. Its strange, Id say the last four years I have no interest in neighbors at all. Where I am now.. I dont even look at them, when I am outside.. because I have no interest in speaking to them. I dont really know why I became this way.. I just did. Maybe its getting older. Maybe its because Ive moved around quite a bit since leaving New York and so I feel the relationships wont last,so why bother.....
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
minks

You Your Neighbors

Post by minks »

pixiechic2000 wrote: Hi Everyone..

Minks - I'd swear we were neighbors to the same guy, but I think your guy has mine beat by a long shot. Even though mine was quite psychotic.

My young married couple to the right are always looking this way hoping to make the eye contact so they can step over by my house and talk, talk, talk. So I try not to make eye contact. I find myself turning my back to them, walking in the house quickly, just hoping they get the hint. Yah, right.... If we are sitting outside with our backs to them, they still yell over hi!!!! They probably think I am mad at them or maybe turned into a b____. Oh well, if thats what it takes to keep them away.... :-5

I've learned that some people just can't take the hint which then leaves me to drastic measures to keep my space, my space.... :mad:

I never used to be this bad. But I think all those years of living next to problem neighbors, nosey neighbors, psycho neighbors, has soured my desire to become friendly anymore. There is such a thing as wearing out your welcome. :thinking:

Ah Pixie what a shame to think there is more than one of these weirdo type neighbor guys out there.

Funny how we become less tolerant of our neighbors. I recal some great neighbors from my child hood but as I get older bleck.

When I first lived on my own at 22 I had an old man and his wife next door. Our yards were separated by 4foot tall fences, I think those were called conversation fences. At 22 I had no desire to make conversation with an old man. And even less so when oneday I was out sun tanning and opened my eyes to find him hanging over the fence staring at me. From that day on I refused to make eye contact with him, checked outside before i walked to my garage to avoid him. Oh gawd it was silly looking back now.

I dunno I have similar issues with the odd neighbors as you Pixie as they sit outside on their deck and when I go out they wanna chat and usually this is after they are pissed. I think this summer will be different as they truly dislike my room mate and I am glad maybe they will leave me be.

Funny I think I would like neighbors "on my time"

― Mae West
Aura

You Your Neighbors

Post by Aura »

Our postman has been very late with the post, the government stopped the night train which delivers all the mail so now the whole system is mad! I notice that some of my neibours post keeps ending up on my mat, luckily my dog Fangus rips it to bit's before I can rescue it, har har!

:yh_rotfl
minks

You Your Neighbors

Post by minks »

Aura wrote: Our postman has been very late with the post, the government stopped the night train which delivers all the mail so now the whole system is mad! I notice that some of my neibours post keeps ending up on my mat, luckily my dog Fangus rips it to bit's before I can rescue it, har har!

:yh_rotfl

Is that really your dogs name. I had a good chuckle at it.

― Mae West
Aura

You Your Neighbors

Post by Aura »

Yes fangus is a Doberman who gets carried away. I apologised to my neighbour about his mail being shredded and just mange to rescue it, I shove it through his letter box at the end of a long stick if I can, but it can be covered in doggy spittle.

By the way, my cousin’s friend had a Yorkshire terrier who liked to chase postman and nip their ankles, they’ve nicknamed him Saten, (or little bleeder)

:wah:
minks

You Your Neighbors

Post by minks »

Aura wrote: Yes fangus is a Doberman who gets carried away. I apologised to my neighbour about his mail being shredded and just mange to rescue it, I shove it through his letter box at the end of a long stick if I can, but it can be covered in doggy spittle.

By the way, my cousin’s friend had a Yorkshire terrier who liked to chase postman and nip their ankles, they’ve nicknamed him Saten, (or little bleeder)

:wah:

Ohhh What fun

And too funny

― Mae West
Aura

You Your Neighbors

Post by Aura »

Someone was trying to ruin their engine at 2am this morning, it wouldn’t start so they spent ages flooring and probably floding the engine with petrol.
LottomagicZ4941

You Your Neighbors

Post by LottomagicZ4941 »

I was surounded by cops. However two moved out and may be in Iraq. That is the rumor. That they went full time military and just walked away from their mortgage.

The other cop moved out when he and the wife divorced.

A young man moved in and there was talk that she found a boyfriend already.

Well the boyfriend turned out to be her son moving back!!!!

So we don't talk much in my neighbor hood but when we do the gossip turns funny.

Well she may not think it is funny if she gets wind of it.

Forgot to ask my neighbor to visit forumguarden.com. First time I talked with him ever. Do recall that his name was Ryan because that is also my brothers name. He is just one house away from the couple that may or may not be in Iraq.

Lotto

http://www.flalottomagic.net/cgi-local/ ... elcome-344

MagicZ4941A
capt_buzzard

You Your Neighbors

Post by capt_buzzard »

Florrie wrote: I have lived at different addresses all over the place, inc USA, Spain, Ireland, UK, and never had any bother UNTIL the last one, where my next door neighbour was the most unbearable unreasonable stuck up cow :p I ever encountered.

Even thinking about her makes my blood boil :mad: .Wherebout's in Ireland and Spain did you live?

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”