Wicca

Thoughts and discussions about New Age, Astrology, Gnosticism, Goddesses, Healing Arts, Humanism, Magic, Mysticism, Wicca, and more.
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Hi folks

Forgive me if there are lots of threads about Wicca around - I did a search and it didn't reveal any, but then I have been known to miss the obvious.

Are there any other Wiccans posting here? I'm a solo witch and always love to chat with others on the same or similar path. Not that I don't like chatting with people on other paths, but sometimes, you just need to talk about the specifics of candle magick, you know ? :p

If anyone is interested, I'd love to hear from you.
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Hi Arnold.

OK, I'll have a go at describing how I see and experience Wicca - but because it's a non-prescriptive and personal path, there are lots of other interpretations. Which is not to say it has no central tenets, simply that they can be interpreted in many different ways, as is the case with all religion.

Wicca is a neo-pagan religion, based on the ancient practice of witchcraft in Europe. It's a modern branch of a very old tree, if I can put it that way ; it's modern face developed largely in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Wiccans believe in the divinity of the earth and nature, as the body of the Goddess and the God (some Wiccans would prefer a description of the earth as the body of the Goddess who is the creator of all). We are nature-lovers and seek to be in tune with the natural world.

Our belief is that the soul is reincarnated through many lifetimes in order to learn the lessons we can't fit in one three score years and ten!

We practise rituals of worship and thanks, both of which are considered to be magickal, at regular intervals throughout the year (these really follow the Celtic year). The wheel of the year marks for us the various phases of the chronological year but also of life itself - spring (youth), summer (fertility ), autumn (maturity) and winter (death). These ceremonies have manifold meanings and what I write below is just a summary.

We have important days of celebration - these are known as Sabbats and there are 8 of them. I won't bore you with all of them since they are readily available on the Net, but my particular favourite, Samhain, is coming up at the end of this month. It's our New Year, and represents the time when the veil between the physical and non-physical worlds is at it's thinnest (hence the Christian absorbtion of the festival as All Hallows Eve).

Most Wiccans also celebrate the days of the full moon.

The popular concept of a witch is someone who practices lots of spells. Well, it's true - most of us do. But spells and magick are not divorced from worship and thanks - at least, that's how I see it. And we can't do what we like, because we believe in the Three Fold Rule ; what you give out , you get back times three, whether good or bad. That makes you very careful about magick and spells, believe me!

We also abide by the Wiccan Rede :

The Wiccan Rede

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.

Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.

To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.

Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,

let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.

Widdershins go when the moon doth wane,

and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.

When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.

When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.

When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.

Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's

insight. Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.

Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.

White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.

Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.

Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.

When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.

As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.

When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.

When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.

Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.

When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.

Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.

When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Contrary to popular perception, Wiccans do not believe in or worship Satan. It is fair to say that we accept that we and our lives are made up of light and shade, good and bad, as part of the complementary polarities of life, but we do not worship or seek out evil. No sacrificing black cockerels at midnight for us!

That's my stab at describing Wicca. Others may see it differently. That's the good thing about it - since there is no dogma, only a seeking after truth and balance, we accept that there are many paths to the Divine (for want of a better word).

I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm blathering on about!
Bez

Wicca

Post by Bez »

This is SO interesting...I'm going to look on the web for more details.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

*sigh* No, probably not. Many folks will either think I'm nuts, a well-intentioned but misguided tree-hugger, a Morris dancer, or that I practise black magic.

None of which tend to generate topical debates ;) :p

But are there really no other Wiccans posting here ? I thought our plans to take over the world meant we got everywhere these days........:D
Lon

Wicca

Post by Lon »

Yavanna wrote: *sigh* No, probably not. Many folks will either think I'm nuts, a well-intentioned but misguided tree-hugger, a Morris dancer, or that I practise black magic.

But are there really no other Wiccans posting here ? I thought our plans to take over the world meant we got everywhere these days........:D

You are no more nuts than anyone else that follows a particular belief, and well intentioned is better than ill-intentioned, and as for tree-huggers, Hmmm!!
Betty Boop

Wicca

Post by Betty Boop »

Yavanna wrote: *sigh* No, probably not. Many folks will either think I'm nuts, a well-intentioned but misguided tree-hugger, a Morris dancer, or that I practise black magic.

Morris Dancers throw wicked parties!!

I've never heard of Wiccans!!!

There are certainly plenty of witches in the area though.
TenneseeGirl

Wicca

Post by TenneseeGirl »

PICK ME PICK ME!!! lmfao hiya! I dont call my self wiccan because i do a mesh of alot of things. I'm a Witchy-doodle (dont ask long story) So yeah i like candle majik but i dont do a whole lot of ritual stuff and i tend not to cast a whole lot. I figure if i REALLY need something then i will ask for it. and iunno i spose thats it fer now. pm me if ya wanna or just posty away :) :cool:
~~~~~

Just some food for thought. Swallow it or not that's up to you.:lips:
Rapunzel

Wicca

Post by Rapunzel »

Hi Yavanna .....and Welcome!

What you posted sounds absolutely fascinating!

I would like to learn more about Wicca. There is a little village in the New Forest, near to where I live, which deals in Wicca. Many of the villagers are white witches and they do invite travellers to join their celebrations. The village shops are very olde-worlde and sell many related objects such as little fun witch dolls on broomsticks, also lifesize broomsticks, silver jewellery, spellbooks, charms, etc. etc. as well as many lovely and unusual trinkets and ornaments. Its a beautiful village and we love to go there. I must do as Bez says and look up more on the Internet.

Thanks. :-6
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

You're welcome Rapunzel:)

I have to confess, I'm a bit cynical about some of these olde witche crafte shoppes. I think they sell a lot of mass-produced tat, a lot of the time. But it's nice to hear that your local witches want the local community to come along and enjoy their rituals.

Tennesseegirl (can I just call you Tgirl, please :p ) - I haven't heard of a Witchy-doodle before. Tell me, are you related to Yankee Doodle Dandy ? ;)

Far Rider - thanks for the double welcome:). I wonder why you think we'd disagree on religion ?
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

I thought Morris Dancing was Black Magic ? :D

Rapunzel, I have to know - what's the name the village in the New Forest you mentioned ? I might have to take a trip there one day. It sounds a bit like Glastonbury, where you're as likely to see a sign in your local newsagent's window for a second hand cauldron as you are for a car.
TenneseeGirl

Wicca

Post by TenneseeGirl »

Yavanna wrote: You're welcome Rapunzel:)

I have to confess, I'm a bit cynical about some of these olde witche crafte shoppes. I think they sell a lot of mass-produced tat, a lot of the time. But it's nice to hear that your local witches want the local community to come along and enjoy their rituals.

Tennesseegirl (can I just call you Tgirl, please :p ) - I haven't heard of a Witchy-doodle before. Tell me, are you related to Yankee Doodle Dandy ? ;)

Far Rider - thanks for the double welcome:). I wonder why you think we'd disagree on religion ?

ummmmmm iunno? TG Tgirl, hey you? all of those work. i tend to stick to celtic faery faith and shammanism. i want to get into reiki to... if that helps, if you were asking?
~~~~~

alobar51

Wicca

Post by alobar51 »

Yavanna wrote: Hi Arnold.

OK, I'll have a go at describing how I see and experience Wicca - but because it's a non-prescriptive and personal path, there are lots of other interpretations. Which is not to say it has no central tenets, simply that they can be interpreted in many different ways, as is the case with all religion.

Wicca is a neo-pagan religion, based on the ancient practice of witchcraft in Europe. It's a modern branch of a very old tree, if I can put it that way ; it's modern face developed largely in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

Wiccans believe in the divinity of the earth and nature, as the body of the Goddess and the God (some Wiccans would prefer a description of the earth as the body of the Goddess who is the creator of all). We are nature-lovers and seek to be in tune with the natural world.

Our belief is that the soul is reincarnated through many lifetimes in order to learn the lessons we can't fit in one three score years and ten!

We practise rituals of worship and thanks, both of which are considered to be magickal, at regular intervals throughout the year (these really follow the Celtic year). The wheel of the year marks for us the various phases of the chronological year but also of life itself - spring (youth), summer (fertility ), autumn (maturity) and winter (death). These ceremonies have manifold meanings and what I write below is just a summary.

We have important days of celebration - these are known as Sabbats and there are 8 of them. I won't bore you with all of them since they are readily available on the Net, but my particular favourite, Samhain, is coming up at the end of this month. It's our New Year, and represents the time when the veil between the physical and non-physical worlds is at it's thinnest (hence the Christian absorbtion of the festival as All Hallows Eve).

Most Wiccans also celebrate the days of the full moon.

The popular concept of a witch is someone who practices lots of spells. Well, it's true - most of us do. But spells and magick are not divorced from worship and thanks - at least, that's how I see it. And we can't do what we like, because we believe in the Three Fold Rule ; what you give out , you get back times three, whether good or bad. That makes you very careful about magick and spells, believe me!

We also abide by the Wiccan Rede :

The Wiccan Rede

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bide within the Law you must, in perfect Love and perfect Trust.

Live you must and let to live, fairly take and fairly give.

For tread the Circle thrice about to keep unwelcome spirits out.

To bind the spell well every time, let the spell be said in rhyme.

Light of eye and soft of touch, speak you little, listen much.

Honor the Old Ones in deed and name,

let love and light be our guides again.

Deosil go by the waxing moon, chanting out the joyful tune.

Widdershins go when the moon doth wane,

and the werewolf howls by the dread wolfsbane.

When the Lady's moon is new, kiss the hand to Her times two.

When the moon rides at Her peak then your heart's desire seek.

Heed the North winds mighty gale, lock the door and trim the sail.

When the Wind blows from the East, expect the new and set the feast.

When the wind comes from the South, love will kiss you on the mouth.

When the wind whispers from the West, all hearts will find peace and rest.

Nine woods in the Cauldron go, burn them fast and burn them slow.

Birch in the fire goes to represent what the Lady knows.

Oak in the forest towers with might, in the fire it brings the God's

insight. Rowan is a tree of power causing life and magick to flower.

Willows at the waterside stand ready to help us to the Summerland.

Hawthorn is burned to purify and to draw faerie to your eye.

Hazel-the tree of wisdom and learning adds its strength to the bright fire burning.

White are the flowers of Apple tree that brings us fruits of fertility.

Grapes grow upon the vine giving us both joy and wine.

Fir does mark the evergreen to represent immortality seen.

Elder is the Lady's tree burn it not or cursed you'll be.

Four times the Major Sabbats mark in the light and in the dark.

As the old year starts to wane the new begins, it's now Samhain.

When the time for Imbolc shows watch for flowers through the snows.

When the wheel begins to turn soon the Beltane fires will burn.

As the wheel turns to Lamas night power is brought to magick rite.

Four times the Minor Sabbats fall use the Sun to mark them all.

When the wheel has turned to Yule light the log the Horned One rules.

In the spring, when night equals day time for Ostara to come our way.

When the Sun has reached it's height time for Oak and Holly to fight.

Harvesting comes to one and all when the Autumn Equinox does fall.

Heed the flower, bush, and tree by the Lady blessed you'll be.

Where the rippling waters go cast a stone, the truth you'll know.

When you have and hold a need, harken not to others greed.

With a fool no season spend or be counted as his friend.

Merry Meet and Merry Part bright the cheeks and warm the heart.

Mind the Three-fold Laws you should three times bad and three times good.

When misfortune is enow wear the star upon your brow.

Be true in love this you must do unless your love is false to you.

These Eight words the Rede fulfill:

"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"

Contrary to popular perception, Wiccans do not believe in or worship Satan. It is fair to say that we accept that we and our lives are made up of light and shade, good and bad, as part of the complementary polarities of life, but we do not worship or seek out evil. No sacrificing black cockerels at midnight for us!

That's my stab at describing Wicca. Others may see it differently. That's the good thing about it - since there is no dogma, only a seeking after truth and balance, we accept that there are many paths to the Divine (for want of a better word).

I hope this gives you an idea of what I'm blathering on about!

Seems to take many of its cues from Taoism.
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

TenneseeGirl wrote: ummmmmm iunno? TG Tgirl, hey you? all of those work. i tend to stick to celtic faery faith and shammanism. i want to get into reiki to... if that helps, if you were asking?

Ah....I don't know much about Celtic faery beliefs (Celtic yes, faery no) ; what does it entail?

I have a good friend who does reiki ; she performed it on me once and I fell asleep - which is weird because I'm one of those people who find it hard to relax in those therapeutic situations. Her hands got really hot.

Alobar - I know very little about Taoism ; can you tell me a bit about it ?
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Yep, Wicca is a religion. I meant that since I believe everyone has their own particular path to tread, and Wicca doesn't seek to convert anyone, I doubt I'd disagree with you about religion ; each to their own. Unless it involves harming other people of course.
Kathy

Wicca

Post by Kathy »

Wecome! I've only known one other Wiccan, believe it or not in Oklahoma! That's the buckle of the Bible Belt! Most people assumed she was a Baptist (which I thought was hysterically funny).
TenneseeGirl

Wicca

Post by TenneseeGirl »

Yavanna wrote: Ah....I don't know much about Celtic faery beliefs (Celtic yes, faery no) ; what does it entail?

I have a good friend who does reiki ; she performed it on me once and I fell asleep - which is weird because I'm one of those people who find it hard to relax in those therapeutic situations. Her hands got really hot.

Alobar - I know very little about Taoism ; can you tell me a bit about it ?

Well now. That is a tough one .... LOL First i would have to ask if you believe in faeries? if yes then i would say that the essence of the faery faith is about getting intouch with those different aspects of life in faery form.

Have you ever stood up to fast, And when you sit back down, after the dizzy and blackness is gone you see little balls of light outa the corner of your eye? thats them, but they are there all the time whether or not you want to see them is up to you.

Have you ever watched yourself set your keys on the coffee table. YOU KNOW thats where you put them! And when you are ready to go they are not there. You tare your entire living room apart thinking "ok maybe they fell, or i put them on the couch." Three hours later after you've torn your living room apart put it back together and torn it down again, finally giving up getting your second set of keys to go get the missing ingrediant in your world famous (insert dish name here) you walk back in and there are your keys. Right where you left them. Staring you in the face. Thats a faery. they love to do that.

My husband and i share a faery. i say share because she? he? it? is only around when we are together most of the time. the previous examples are what happen allll the time. keys cigaretts money food you name it! if we own it its been taken and put back a million times. at first we thought we were both nuts! we needed to go to the hahahahahospital because it was like we were temporarily blind for three hours or three days depending on the circumstance.

Faeries are kinda like the gods of the old world. They enbody the essence of every human trait, they are there to teach, to let you know that EVERYTHING is small stuff, and not to swet it.

hope that gives you a decent intro to faery faith
~~~~~

TenneseeGirl

Wicca

Post by TenneseeGirl »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Why do they only show themselves when the blood pressure in your eyes makes you see stars. And why are they living in my eyeballs and not down the bottom of the garden :D

LMAO!!! ok maybe that was a bad example-- but that was the only thing i could think of-- haha good point though-- ill think harder before i post somethin like that again:-5
~~~~~

TenneseeGirl

Wicca

Post by TenneseeGirl »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Its ok . I see things at certain times of the day ;) Normally in twos and swirling about, all out of focus like :D

Well atleast you know what i am talking about ;)
~~~~~

Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Ah, so they sound like what a Christian would call angels ? Or what a classical pagan would call nymphs, dryads, naiads and so on. I know many pagans believe that sacred places have their own spirits - it's why certain wells, trees, stone circles are still visited, celebrated and "dressed" by people looking for help or guidance. For example, there's a bronze age labyrinth carved onto a rock in a valley in Cornwall (called, imginatively, the Rocky Valley) which people visit. They traditionally leave red ribbons or red pieces of string tied to a nearby hawthorn tree to bind up their wish and leave it for notice. It's a form of prayer.

I never see anything like faeries I'm sorry to say - amongst my Wiccan friends I'm the only one who has no psychic powers, no ability to see auras and I am rubbish with plants. :thinking: I make up for it with an exuberant love of nature and a deep, abiding love of red wine. ;)

But I sincerely believe that the energies which surround us can be visible or felt by some people. But whether or not they can be felt, I believe they are there.

Hey, perhaps I could call on them to give British Telecom some energy to get my damned broadband application sorted out! :-5
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Never heard of that book, Hamster - how do you train your eyes to see them then ? I've always wondered what colour mine is
nvalleyvee

Wicca

Post by nvalleyvee »

alobar51 wrote: Seems to take many of its cues from Taoism.

Yes it does.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Hamster wrote:

Can you feel peoples auras yet?

Not without invading their personal space ;)
TenneseeGirl

Wicca

Post by TenneseeGirl »

Yavanna wrote: Ah, so they sound like what a Christian would call angels ? Or what a classical pagan would call nymphs, dryads, naiads and so on. I know many pagans believe that sacred places have their own spirits - it's why certain wells, trees, stone circles are still visited, celebrated and "dressed" by people looking for help or guidance. For example, there's a bronze age labyrinth carved onto a rock in a valley in Cornwall (called, imginatively, the Rocky Valley) which people visit. They traditionally leave red ribbons or red pieces of string tied to a nearby hawthorn tree to bind up their wish and leave it for notice. It's a form of prayer.

I never see anything like faeries I'm sorry to say - amongst my Wiccan friends I'm the only one who has no psychic powers, no ability to see auras and I am rubbish with plants. :thinking: I make up for it with an exuberant love of nature and a deep, abiding love of red wine. ;)

But I sincerely believe that the energies which surround us can be visible or felt by some people. But whether or not they can be felt, I believe they are there.

Hey, perhaps I could call on them to give British Telecom some energy to get my damned broadband application sorted out!

Hey now dont knock your own abilities, everyone has a gift they just have to choose to see it, once you have chosen to see it you have to convince yourself that you can see it. that may sound odd but its true. We are raised in this current day in age to ignore these gifts from those more blessed then us. Fortionatly we can retrain ourselves to see these things, it is not as easy as it is to turn it off, but it makes for a very rewarding afternoon when all your meditation pays off for a split second and you have a glimps of what has been there the whole time. :-6 just keep trying and you'll see what you have always had, its like kharma, it happens faster the more aware of it you are. :cool:
~~~~~

Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Well, I may not be able to see auras or have psychic experiences, but I am good at reading the Tarot and people's palms. Palmistry is something I've only recently become interested in but it's fascinating!

I've discovered that I have a strong Bow of Instinct but alarmingly, hardly any lifeline! But in compensation, my headline is strong and imaginative and I have plenty of whorls. So that's allright then :D
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Yes, it's vital!

The hand you use is the one that you read to show your current/future situation. The non-dominant hand represents your past.

Interestingly, the lines on each are quite different. In addition, the lines on your dominant hand change every 3 months or so, indicating your development and experiences. F' instance, my head line (representing brain power, mental aptitude, the way we think) is very long, shooting off the edge of my palm ; it indicates that I think things through very carefully, but sometimes to the point of over-analyis.

Recently I made a quick decision about work and feel much happier for it - and lo and behold! my headline has shrunk!

Having a bow of instinct means that I have strong instincts and intuition but my broken-up Saturn line indicates I don't follow those instincts when I should. (thinks of last boyfriend.....how true!)
Aura

Wicca

Post by Aura »

Yavanna I would also like to learn Wicca, can you give me any advice? Thanks.

:)
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Hi Aura:)

I'd suggest you research Wicca and what it's about on the Net and perhaps buy yourself some decent books - I like Scott Cunningham's "Wicca : A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner". It's expressed simply and clearly.

Hopefully, your reading and research will tell you if Wicca is really for you and you for it! Because there's no established way of practising it, it's really up to you to decide if it is a religious faith which resonates with you. By all means pm me if you have specific questions (I've cleared my inbox now!)
St Ives

Wicca

Post by St Ives »

hi Yavanna

I have been reading about wicca/paganism/the goddess now for about a year. There is just so much information out there, it is totally confusing. Not sure that I can put myself in any of the catagories. I am learning about my inner feelings, intuitions, my relationship with nature and the Earth. It is fasinating reading. I would say I am spiritual and have an altar of sorts, with my special crystals, candles, photos, statues of dragons, pieces of wood etc. I keep a special diary of me which I keep there also. No spells, no chants, no real ritual though. Yes I have a routine I keep most days, meditation with some item from my altar, diary entries, wishes made, that kind of thing.

How do you know! I have never had an experience that says that I am....... or have leaning towards......... Perhaps the time is not right yet or I am blind to the experience.

Any information or guidance would be gratefully accepted

kindest regards and seasonal greetings

St Ives
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

Hi St Ives!

What I'd say is that if you feel labels and categories don't fit you, then don't choose one! It's far more honest of you to say "None of these labels entirely suits me and my beliefs" than to practise something you don't really believe. And it most certainly doesn't mean that you are unspiritual. In fact, it's a really truthful and insightful thing to say about religious faith in itself ; I often think that most of us could do with thinking outside the box and the labels we affix to ourselves and others.

I'd also add that having a "mystical" experience doesn't make you a Wiccan - just as not having them doesn't mean you can't be Wiccan.

Wicca is a religon ; what makes you Wiccan is you deciding to choose Wicca as your spiritual path, or feeling that you have been chosen by Wicca because it resonates with you. It has common denominators with other pagan practices ie Godess worship (although I myself prefer to see the Divine as both masculine and feminine), following the seasons by use of ritual, magick and so on. But the practice of magick is down to personal choice. Mediation and self-development is just as important as practicing magick, I think. After all, the only person we really ever have control over and absolute responsibility for is ourself, even though we may on occasion want to effect change around us.

And I'd also say that practising magick without careful consideration is a risky business! Has a tendency to backfire if intentions aren't good, you see.

I really advocate reading around the subject and thinking about it carefully. After all, do you feel the need to "be" something in terms of your religious title ? If you do, find something that rings your internal bells and see what you think. Being initiated into - or initiating yourself into - a religious practice shouldn't be taken lightly ; that goes for any religion, I think.

:)
St Ives

Wicca

Post by St Ives »

Thank you Yavanna

No I see no need for labels personally, but it would be an achievement to be drawn to something so that I could consentrate on that ideology instead of wandering as I am now.

I am looking into wicca more than the others currently so maybe that is a small sign. I am finding some wonderful sites that give real information and not mumbo jumbo which helps. I have found a group of people you understand about King Arthur and Avalon too. That is something I can really relate too as I used to live in the area and have felt a connection. They are a mix of wicca and witches.

I am patient and I fully agree that you must never rush these things.

I am not sure that I want to 'çast spells' so much as find peace and learn about being a better person. To nurture this wonderful place that we live in as it has nurtured me.

I have lived by 'do as you would be done by' all my life, so the idea of 'harm none and do as you will' has a ring of truth.

take good care

St Ives
RedGlitter

Wicca

Post by RedGlitter »

I'm not wiccan, I call myself a pagan spiritualist. I don't agree with some of wicca's core tenets.
nvalleyvee

Wicca

Post by nvalleyvee »

Today is the winter solstice........the beiginning of winter........AND the shortest day of the year. Yes Yav - I'd like to talk to you.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

We tend to pick on 21 Dec as the winter solstice but that's more a matter of convenience than anything else. I love winter :)

nvalleyvee, what do you want to talk about, regarding Wicca ?
Aura

Wicca

Post by Aura »

What's the difference between Wicca and pagan spiritualism?

:confused:
RedGlitter

Wicca

Post by RedGlitter »

Well, a spiritualist tends to communicate with their dead and they believe that the spirits will help us in our lives. I realize that wiccans and pagans can also do this. Perhaps I can better answer your question by clarifying what I meant about the wiccan tenets? I personally don't adhere to the Law of Three, I don't believe what you put out comes back threefold. I believe that it's okay to hex someone who's causing you trouble, rather than turning the other cheek. I do believe in karma so I'm not out putting spells on everyone. :wah: I didn't mean for it to sound like I was insulting wiccans, far from it. :)
Yavanna

Wicca

Post by Yavanna »

No offence taken, Redglitter :) I'd only add that Wicca doesn't prevent you from dealing with people who cause you trouble - it just requires you to think your actions through very carefully. For example, rather than hexing someone who was being a pain, I'd first of all consider whether a straightforward talk with that person would improve the situation. After all, why resort to magick if a frank exchange of views will improve the situation ? If not, I'd then consider whether a binding spell (binding them from hurting themselves and others) was the better way. I have done hexing spells before, but the basis is always that the irritating person gets back every ounce of poison they give out. In other words, their own behaviour determines their bad luck ; you're really trying to encourage them to have insight about the way their wrongdoing visits them times three.

I don't see any of the above as turning the other cheek ; Wicca is about effecting change, where that change is appropriate and not an intereference with the natural balance of things.

So, pagan spiritualism is a form of ancestor worship ? Or are the spirits you connect with elementals ?
RedGlitter

Wicca

Post by RedGlitter »

So, pagan spiritualism is a form of ancestor worship ? Or are the spirits you connect with elementals ?

Hi. It's not worship of our ancestors so much as it is communicating with them. And I should probably clarify that pagan spiritualist is the label I give it as I am pagan and also a spiritualist. :)
Aura

Wicca

Post by Aura »

I would of done if I hadn't of had to look after my friend. We went to Glastonbury last week (I was meant to go on my own for my healing but I made a mistake in inviting her). She has disablities (water on her legs) and get's a bit bad tempred with me, I felt more like her carer then her friend. I didn't get to do half of what I wanted to do so I am going down again on my own in July. :(

Sorry to moan but I went for healing which I didn't get because I felt I was being held back, I have learnt my lesson through.

:o

Return to “Modern Ancient Paths”