huh???

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
Wolverine

huh???

Post by Wolverine »

now I thought i was a pretty smart guy when it came to cars. makes, models, what year got which engine. that sort of thing.

i always thought that Pontiac stopped making the GTO in 1972. I know it was the last year for the "Judge"

but i saw in one of those AutoTrader amgs that some guy was sellng a 1973 GTO. Looked more like a GrandPrix with GTO badging to me.

and on eBay, someone was selling a 1974 GTO. but it looked like a '74 Chevy Nova with Pontiac grille and GTO badges.

Did I completely mis something??? are those cars that I saw "real" or clones?

someone please help.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Wolverine

huh???

Post by Wolverine »

would someone make sure Cars sees this. i'm sure he can help.

lady cop

huh???

Post by lady cop »

will do
Wolverine

huh???

Post by Wolverine »

thank you LC

lady cop

huh???

Post by lady cop »

just mailed him...you're welcome!
cars

huh???

Post by cars »

Wolverine wrote: now I thought i was a pretty smart guy when it came to cars. makes, models, what year got which engine. that sort of thing.

i always thought that Pontiac stopped making the GTO in 1972. I know it was the last year for the "Judge"

but i saw in one of those AutoTrader amgs that some guy was sellng a 1973 GTO. Looked more like a GrandPrix with GTO badging to me.

and on eBay, someone was selling a 1974 GTO. but it looked like a '74 Chevy Nova with Pontiac grille and GTO badges.

Did I completely mis something??? are those cars that I saw "real" or clones?

someone please help.

Hi Wolverine, below is a clip from Die Harder magizine: (There is a "73" GTO.)

For '71 and '72, the high performance 400 options were dropped from the GTO and Firebird lineup. In their place was a. new 455-cubic-inch engine which turned out to be merely a bored and stroked 428. Top horsepower rating for the low compression 455 engine in 1971 was 335 at 4800 rpm. In '72, Pontiac had a 455 HO option with a lot of the old ram air goodies chocked into the 455 block. With the new net horsepower ratings, the output was 300, at 4000 rpm. Our Firebird Trans-Am road test with the 455 HO engine proved to us that the HO was the strongest street engine available last year.

And here we are in '73 and Pontiac's GTO has just won our Performance Car of the Year award mainly because of the new Super Duty 455 engine. It's an incredibly strong street engine which has been analyzed extensively in this and other publications. It's net horsepower rating is 310 at 4000 rpm and it is by far the strongest street engine for '73. And the Grand Am, a new intermediate model from Pontiac, continues Pontiac's tradition of producing fine, roadable cars with handling, acceleration, ride and comfort. And you can't hardly ask any more of a car maker.

As for the 1974 Nova with GTO badging , that one has to be suspect, I would have to see the registration itself on that one.

Anyway, I'm myself looking at Autotrader daily, looking for 1 or 2 year old replacement for my Wife's loaded Lesabre "Limited" car. That's a tough act to follow with all the bells & whistles that car has! Cause I don't want to spend a bundle on it as we will only be using it for 6 to 7 months out of the year, as in the cold weather we will be in Florida, and that car in the garage in CT for 5 months.
Cars :)
Wolverine

huh???

Post by Wolverine »

thanks cars. that solved some of the mystery.

i was just certain that Pontiac stopped making the GTO in 1972.

PDG'68

huh???

Post by PDG'68 »

New to the site here, but here is the explaination.

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/ ... 4GTO.frame

I prefer the '73 look also, as it resembles the Can Am. Doug
BTS

huh???

Post by BTS »

PDG'68 wrote: New to the site here, but here is the explaination.

http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/ ... 4GTO.frame

I prefer the '73 look also, as it resembles the Can Am. Doug

Nice find and welcome to the Garden..........:driving:
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."

Return to “General Chit Chat”