30 Million Cars Now Record Driver's Behavior

A forum to discuss the wheeled vehicle that you love.
CVX

Post by CVX »

I'm wanting to hear what "cars" thinks about this.

By Eric C. Evarts

The Christian Science Monitor

12-28-4

It was only a matter of time. For several years, electronic devices in cars have monitored acceleration and braking to save fuel and improve safety. Now, they're saving some of that data to give automakers and police a better idea of how you drive. So far most of the devices record the last five seconds of readings before a crash, for example, a little like flight-data recorders in airplanes. The information has proven extremely useful to auto designers and accident investigators. It's also being used to prosecute drivers.

"The problem is most people don't realize these devices are in their vehicle," says Eric Skrum, spokesman for the National Motorists Association in Madison, Wis. "That information can be used against you, and there's no sort of regulation about who owns that information."

Already, drivers have had data from their own cars used to convict them. Last month, Danny Hopkins of New York was sentenced to 5 to 15 years in prison for killing Lindsay Kyle after the black box in his Cadillac CTS indicated the car was going 106 miles per hour five seconds before the crash. Investigators originally thought the car was going only 65 to 70 miles per hour. In St. Louis, Clifton McIntire of Phippsburg, Me., pleaded guilty to manslaughter last month after the black box in his GMC pickup revealed that he was going 85 miles an hour before he slammed into the back of a Toyota.

Today an estimated 30 million cars contain these "black boxes" " they're actually silver " known as event data recorders (EDRs). Most record simple data such as whether airbags deployed or if passengers wore seatbelts. But most cars from General Motors and Ford, as well as some Toyotas and Hondas, track even more information, including vehicle and engine speed, and whether the driver was accelerating or braking.

Automakers say they want this information to help improve safety equipment. "The main purpose of the EDR is to get data after a crash to help us understand how the airbags worked," says Alan Adler, manager of product-safety communications at General Motors in Warren, Mich. "The privacy of our customers is very important to us, but doesn't record anything that isn't true."

Crash investigations

Without EDRs, investigators frequently don't have enough data to pinpoint the cause of an accident, says Joe Osterman, director of the Office of Highway Safety at the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) in Washington. That was the case when an elderly man killed 20 people when his Buick plowed into a farmers market in Santa Monica, Calif. in 2000. The driver said he was braking. Witnesses and investigators said he was accelerating.

While what exactly happened in the moments before the tragedy remains a mystery, the NTSB went on record afterward saying EDRs should be mandatory in all cars sold in the United States.

The NTSB, however, doesn't have the authority to mandate black boxes. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration does. It proposes that the recorders become standard equipment starting in 2009 models, retain the last eight seconds of data before a crash, and include added data from electronic stability control and antilock braking systems.

Civil libertarians worry that such data will be used more broadly in the future.

"This is another example of where technology has outstripped the law and certain assumptions of how the world works," says Jay Stanley, director of communications for the Technology and Liberty Project at the American Civil Liberties Union in New York.

Some safety experts also worry about the wrong people using the data. While Mr. Osterman of the NTSB favors police investigators using black-box data in criminal investigations, he worries that private experts hired in civil litigation may have biases and could take the data at face value instead of cross-checking it.

"The data can be misleading if you're not a seasoned accident reconstructionist," adds Bob Kreeb, an engineer at Booz Allen Hamilton in Washington who chaired a committee of the Society of Automotive Engineers to set standards for the data gathered from black boxes. "So it needs to be interpreted and validated."

Installing black boxes with five seconds worth of memory was as simple as adding a memory chip to existing computer systems in cars. Increasing the memory to several months' worth of data would not be difficult at all, Mr. Stanley says. "If GM decided tomorrow to track three months of data instead of five seconds, there's nothing that would make them have to tell anybody," he adds.

Tracking the teens

In fact, Davis Instruments of Hayward, Calif., sells a black box called CarChip that will record throttle position and engine parameters for up to 300 hours of driving. Parents can use it to monitor their teenagers' driving habits, for example.

Progressive, an auto-insurance company, is running a pilot program with 5,000 drivers in Minnesota using a device similar to CarChip. It records up to six months of driving data, including vehicle mileage, time of day, and speed. The program, called TripSense, lets drivers choose whether to hand over data from their recorders to the insurer. Based on their habits behind the wheel, they can get discounts on their premiums of 5 to 25%.

But once any data is collected, some worry that it might be subpoenaed. If a police officer pulls you over while you're not speeding, "will your EDR tell him that five miles or five days earlier you were?" asked AutoWeek magazine's Bob Gritzinger in a November article.

Recorder data may also present problems for drivers with automobile warranties. Some wonder if vehicle manufacturers are using safety data to void warranties. Some people in Internet chat rooms have alleged Mitsubishi is doing just that to those who drive its racy Evolution VIII in amateur weekend races.

Even if not true, the existence of such stories shows people's concerns about this kind of technology, says Stanley. "If it's not controlled, it allows powerful institutions to increase their control over ordinary individuals," he says.

For example: When AutoWeek conducted handling tests on a mundane Chevy Malibu Maxx hatchback earlier this year, the recorder automatically alerted GM OnStar officials, who called the car to make sure the driver was OK after a particularly severe cornering maneuver. The driver was, but later said he resented the intrusion.
Paula

Post by Paula »

I like the idea. Video Cams, i cannot wait until they are available. I pay upwards to $65,000.00 per year for (1) business on business vehicle insurance. We receive calls all the time, your truck was driving out of control? Not true, People on the highways create more accidents than the Trucks?

The higher priced vehicles have the device that shows details prior to a crash? Any information devices are needed, as evidence.
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Paula wrote: I like the idea. Video Cams, i cannot wait until they are available. I pay upwards to $65,000.00 per year for (1) business on business vehicle insurance. We receive calls all the time, your truck was driving out of control? Not true, People on the highways create more accidents than the Trucks?

The higher priced vehicles have the device that shows details prior to a crash? Any information devices are needed, as evidence.
I think these high insurance rates are a crime. Is this for a dump truck or a tractor and trailer?
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
cars

Post by cars »

CVX- I am aware of the EDR's and know of their existance in cars. I really have mixed emotions as to the good they are doing, by/if providing Design data for the Auto Designers. :thinking: It seems more often than not EDR's are being used to convict wrong doers. But if "they" are really doing bad, then is it really wrong for them to be convicted? :wah:

Anyway, it has been taken a step further, I am also aware of several Car "Rental" agencies that use a version of the EDR data to actually charge an add on "Sur-Charge" to the Renters who drove their rented cars more than 75mph for entended periods of time. The assumption being that those renters who were speeding excessivly for long periods put undue ware & tear (not the normal expected) on that rental car!

Speeding Renters were/are fighting the issue :guitarist

Cars :driving:
Cars :)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:driving: I also have mixed feeling on this issue..

If it convict people for driving 106 miles an hour, and killing people.. !! BRAVO!!

I guess we better get use to it.. !! It's not going away..!! :-3

For me it's a non issue.. no such devices in my 1973 CAMARO..!! :wah:

Hey can these devices tell if some idiot is talking on the phone, as he slams into the car in front of him...??? Something has to be done about this driving, while talking on the phone.. JUST MAKES ME SEE RED..!!

I really don't understand why this issue is being taken so lightly by insurance companies, and people in general.. IT'S KILLING PEOPLE.. BOTH HAND SHOULD BE ON THE WHEEL WHEN DRIVING.. !!! I JUST DON'T GET IT..!! I SAW A GUY DRIVING WITH HIS RIGHT KNEE ONCE, WHILE SMOKING, AND TALKING ON THE PHONE..!! UN-FLIPPIN BELIEVABLE...!! IDIOT.. !! :driving:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Cass

Post by Cass »

I hope it doesn't record my behavior in the back seat ;)
cars

Post by cars »

>>^..^ I hope it doesn't record my behavior in the back seat ;)

If it did, people would be buying only "2 seater" coupes! Ha-Ha :D

Cars :driving:
Cars :)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

CASS,

OK WHATS WRONG WITH THE FRONT SEAT..!! :D

I hope it doesn't record my behavior in the back seat
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Cass

Post by Cass »

CARLA wrote: CASS,

OK WHATS WRONG WITH THE FRONT SEAT..!! :D

Gear shift..... ouch
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

>>^..^ I hope it doesn't record my behavior in the back seat ;)
Leave it to Cassie to come up with that one!!! :yh_rotfl

As to the original post: I have 2 words for you all: BIG BROTHER

It's like OnStar. These people know where you are at all times. CREEPY!!! :yh_nailbi

While I can understand how it can help in the investigation of crimes committed by drivers, it's just one more way for the government to be able to stick their noses into too many personal lives. Don't they have enough ways of keeping track of us??
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

BabyRider wrote: While I can understand how it can help in the investigation of crimes committed by drivers, it's just one more way for the government to be able to stick their noses into too many personal lives. Don't they have enough ways of keeping track of us??

"If you do nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear".
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Bill Sikes wrote: "If you do nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear".
I have the fear of losing my liberties! I suppose you would approve of putting "little black boxes" in people's houses, too? I mean, let's face it, imagine the crimes we could prevent if only the governement could keep an eye on us right in our homes!!!! Anyone ever see "Minority Report"?
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

BabyRider wrote: I have the fear of losing my liberties! I suppose you would approve of putting "little black boxes" in people's houses, too? I mean, let's face it, imagine the crimes we could prevent if only the governement could keep an eye on us right in our homes!!!! Anyone ever see "Minority Report"?

I put the text in quotes for a reason...
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

Bill Sikes wrote: I put the text in quotes for a reason...
Which would be.....
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

BabyRider wrote: Which would be.....

That these are the words often used by officialdom and people who don't think through the possible consequences of the loss of "civil liberties", which are being erroded extremely fast.
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

See how much is lost communicating throught the Net?
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Return to “General Chit Chat”