Titanic Fanatic

lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

i've had an abiding interest in the Titanic tragedy for most of my life.......here is a new item that caught my eye. anyone else here interested in Titanic legend and lore? ~~(sorry, i don't know why blue links don't work)~~~

Scientists Make Titanic DiscoveriesMonday, December 05, 2005

FALMOUTH, Mass. — Undersea explorers said Monday that the discovery of more wreckage from the :siteSearch('Titanic');">Titanic suggests that the luxury liner broke into three sections — not two, as commonly thought — and thus sank faster than previously believed.

"The breakup and sinking of the Titanic has never been accurately depicted," Parks Stephenson, a Titanic historian, said at a conference at the :siteSearch('Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute');">Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.

The ocean liner that was billed as "unsinkable" by its owner struck an iceberg on its maiden voyage and went down in the North Atlantic on April 14, 1912. About 1,500 people were killed.

Undersea explorer Robert Ballard located the bulk of the wreck in 1985, at a depth of 13,000 feet and about 380 miles southeast of :siteSearch('Newfoundland');">Newfoundland. He declared that the ship had broken into two major sections, and that is the way the sinking was portrayed in the 1997 movie about he catastrophe.

However, the latest expedition, sponsored by the :siteSearch('History Channel');">History Channel, found two hull pieces, each roughly 40 feet by 90 feet and lying about a third of a mile from the rest of the wreck. The explorers said the location of the wreckage indicates that the ship's bottom came off the ship intact — constituting a third major piece — and later broke in two.
ComfortablyNumb

Titanic Fanatic

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

It's a fascinating story.

Weird that the hull was like that, I always believed the thing about sealed compartments being flooded which tilted the whole ship.

Can't quite picture what happened now.

We had a great programme on the BBC a couple of years back when they showed the wreckage - it was spooky. Like a graveyard.
The Red One

Titanic Fanatic

Post by The Red One »

I love the Titanic story. I read, listen, watch everything I can about it.
lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

the pic here is a rather grim takeoff on the silly movie, note the skeletons riding the bow. i read in recent years that it has been determined that rivets popped, as well as brittle fracture of the hull. i am very interested in the human interest stories of the passengers, wealthy and the poor in steerage.

Attached files
lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

The Red One wrote: I love the Titanic story. I read, listen, watch everything I can about it.have you ever read walter lord's 'a night to remember"? it was an old movie also. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Night to Remember (1958) A Night to Remember - Cast, Crew, Reviews, and Amazon.com: A Night to Remember: Books: Walter Lord

The Red One

Titanic Fanatic

Post by The Red One »

No I haven't but I will definately look for it or see if the hubby can find it and get it where he works at. He works at a print on demand factory. Thanks for the suggestion! How long have you been a police officer?
lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

The Red One wrote: No I haven't but I will definately look for it or see if the hubby can find it and get it where he works at. He works at a print on demand factory. Thanks for the suggestion! How long have you been a police officer?the book is a definitive work......... i've been a certified LEO for a number of years, i started out busting shoplifters undercover. but that's another thread! :)
lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

from today's CNN, more information...............Historian: 'It turns out the Titanic was more merciful'...
Valerie100

Titanic Fanatic

Post by Valerie100 »

I've always been fascinated in the Titanic disaster myself. Did you know that there was a fictional book aboard the Titanic that detailed a ship's accident much like the actual sinking of the Titanic, itself? It was written in the late 1800's. I've heard this story and also watched it on Unsolved Mysteries, also.

I've heard -- and I don't know how true that this is -- that there was an Egyptian mummy onboard the Titanic when it sunk. Disturbed Egyptian tombs are supposed to have curses upon them.

There was also a worker aboard the Titanic who had survived two other oceanliner tragedies, only to end up dying in the Titanic disaster. That's fate, huh?
Nearman

Titanic Fanatic

Post by Nearman »

Hello; I have been interested in the Titanic for quite some time and thought I may be able to contribute something.The novel by author Morgan Robertson, published in 1898, contained many very remarkable parallels to the actual case history of the Titanic disaster, some of which were that his fictional ship was named the "Titan", that she had a sister ship named the "Gigantic", which was actually the first choice for the Titanic"s sister ship, later renamed "Brittanic"[after the disaster], Titan and Titanic were both driven by three screws [propellers] which was not common at the time, length and tonnage of both were approximately the same,both struck an iceberg on their starboard side [in April!!] both carried about 2200 passengers [which was not their full capacity] and both had lifeboats for only half the passengers on board.He also wrote that her sister ship, Gigantic, struck a mine and sank bow first, exactly what happened to Brittannic during WW I....Almost unbelievable, but true.

I believe Ballard was aware of the broken center sections of the Titanic wreck, he mentions them in his book "Discovery of the Titanic" and they are sketched as part of the debris field in Charles Pellegrino"s excellent book "Ghosts of the Titanic".

Walter Lord dismisses the theory of "brittle steel" as a myth in his sequel book to "A Night To Remember".., "The Night Lives On"...indeed the engineers at Harland and Wolff shipyards still regard the Titanic as "the finest ship we ever built".Evidently the quality of the steel was equal to the technology of the day.

I personally find two aspects of the story particulary fascinating...if any of the following events that occurred that night would not have happened the ship probably would not have sunk or so many lives lost; a moonless very dark night, a virtually flat calm sea,the fact that the very first iceberg seen when entering a very large field of bergs was aimed directly at the bow and was by all accounts a "blue"or recently capsized berg,misplaced and undelivered iceberg warnings that the Captain was unaware of,the fact that a coalfire weakened firewall gave way that might have held the ship afloat longer.. perhaps indefinately..,and a complacent [or ignorant] Captain of a ship less than ten miles away did not react in any way to the information relayed to him that eight distress flares were being fired from a ship nearby that shortly disappeared.Also, the true story of Benjamin Guggenheim changing into his finest evening wear "to go down like a gentleman"appeals to me..,as does Mrs.Isador Strauss refusing to enter a lifeboat and choosing to die with her husband instead..Hope this may be of interest to someone................
lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

hello Nearman, and welcome to FG. :) ........i wish my dad were alive so i could ask him, he was a well-known metallurgist and invented the charpy-V drop-weight test. his test was used on a piece of Titanic's hull, and it was determined to be brittle. but you are correct, it was state-of-the-art for its time.
Shweet tatersalad

Titanic Fanatic

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

why is nothing ever mentioed about the poor poeple locked behind bars below the deck too die.No one ever thuoght too try too help them.
StupidCowboyTricks

Titanic Fanatic

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

lady cop wrote: hello Nearman, and welcome to FG. :) ........i wish my dad were alive so i could ask him, he was a well-known metallurgist and invented the charpy-V drop-weight test. his test was used on a piece of Titanic's hull, and it was determined to be brittle. but you are correct, it was state-of-the-art for its time.

How old would your dad be today?
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

StupidCowboyTricks wrote: How old would your dad be today?he was born in 1917. after ballard found the ship, pieces of the hull were brought up and taken to woods hole oceanagraphic institute on cape cod. then sent on to naval research laboratory where my dad's tests were performed. ...as i type this 'a night to remember' is on TCM, so it made me think of this thread.
Uncle Kram

Titanic Fanatic

Post by Uncle Kram »

Titanic historians believe that many more expeditions should be undertaken to discover the true events of that fateful night. I don't think we'll ever get the full picture but all the evidence is still down there. What we know so far is only the tip of the iceberg

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Bez

Titanic Fanatic

Post by Bez »

I have been to the Shipwreck Museum in Cornwall. They have a very interesting Titanic display.

www.shipwreckcharlestown.com
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Raven

Titanic Fanatic

Post by Raven »

lady cop wrote: i've had an abiding interest in the Titanic tragedy for most of my life.......here is a new item that caught my eye. anyone else here interested in Titanic legend and lore? ~~(sorry, i don't know why blue links don't work)~~~

Scientists Make Titanic DiscoveriesMonday, December 05, 2005

FALMOUTH, Mass. — Undersea explorers said Monday that the discovery of more wreckage from the :siteSearch('Titanic');">Titanic suggests that the luxury liner broke into three sections — not two, as commonly thought — and thus sank faster than previously believed.

"The breakup and sinking of the Titanic has never been accurately depicted," Parks Stephenson, a Titanic historian, said at a conference at the :siteSearch('Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute');">Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute.

The ocean liner that was billed as "unsinkable" by its owner struck an iceberg on its maiden voyage and went down in the North Atlantic on April 14, 1912. About 1,500 people were killed.

Undersea explorer Robert Ballard located the bulk of the wreck in 1985, at a depth of 13,000 feet and about 380 miles southeast of :siteSearch('Newfoundland');">Newfoundland. He declared that the ship had broken into two major sections, and that is the way the sinking was portrayed in the 1997 movie about he catastrophe.

However, the latest expedition, sponsored by the :siteSearch('History Channel');">History Channel, found two hull pieces, each roughly 40 feet by 90 feet and lying about a third of a mile from the rest of the wreck. The explorers said the location of the wreckage indicates that the ship's bottom came off the ship intact — constituting a third major piece — and later broke in two.

I've been a titanic fanatic for AGES! Have you read the actual transcripts of the new york hearing? It's a fascinating book! I went to see the artifacts in the titanic tour of a few years ago. They were heart wrenching!
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
Shweet tatersalad

Titanic Fanatic

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

Shweet tatersalad wrote: why is nothing ever mentioned about the poor people locked behind bars below the deck too die.No one ever thought too try too help them.

As you see,the voice's of the poor are never heard and ignored like the ones on that fatal ship that night,rest in peace my fellow poor.We have not forgotten you.
SmellTheColor9

Titanic Fanatic

Post by SmellTheColor9 »

I've always been intrested in the Titanic disaster. It's so dark and romantic.
gmc

Titanic Fanatic

Post by gmc »

posted by nearman

I believe Ballard was aware of the broken center sections of the Titanic wreck, he mentions them in his book "Discovery of the Titanic" and they are sketched as part of the debris field in Charles Pellegrino"s excellent book "Ghosts of the Titanic".

Walter Lord dismisses the theory of "brittle steel" as a myth in his sequel book to "A Night To Remember".., "The Night Lives On"...indeed the engineers at Harland and Wolff shipyards still regard the Titanic as "the finest ship we ever built".Evidently the quality of the steel was equal to the technology of the day.

It's not a myth, the steel used was the best available at the time but no one knew the effects extreme cold would have on steel. It wasnnt until WW" when liberty ships kept bteaking in two while on arctic convoys that the problem came to light and the scientific explanation found.

http://www-g.eng.cam.ac.uk/125/noflash/ ... ipper.html

Constance Tipper was one of the first women to take the Natural Sciences Tripos, in 1915. Her major research contribution was to discover why during the Second World War the Liberty Ships were breaking in two.

Working from the Engineering Department in Cambridge, Tipper established that there is a critical temperature below which the fracture in steel changes from ductile to brittle. The Liberty Ships in the North Atlantic were subjected to such low temperatures that they would have been susceptible to brittle failure.

The full implications of her work were not realised until the 1950s but after that, the ‘Tipper test’ became the standard method for determining this form of brittleness in steel.
Raven

Titanic Fanatic

Post by Raven »

Shweet tatersalad wrote: As you see,the voice's of the poor are never heard and ignored like the ones on that fatal ship that night,rest in peace my fellow poor.We have not forgotten you.
Even though it was classified as an immigration vessel, the luxury of the 'first class' is all people remember. Throughout history the rich have always made and retained their wealth on the backs of the serfs and 'peasants'. Those people only had their dreams of something better, and even that what taken from them.
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

This 3-D model of the Titanic lights up and plays a tune:eek:

Memorabilia from the ill-fated Titanic has continued to fascinate collectors around the world, even though it is not always in the best taste.

Belfast City Council is looking for people who might have something suitable for a forthcoming Easter exhibition at the city hall, Titanic - An Image.

The whole story surrounding the ship has been a marketing phenomenon since the 1997 release of the Hollywood film, and Una Reilly of the Belfast Titanic Society said they wanted to take a look at changing attitudes.

"We are going to reflect on how Titanic is portrayed in modern society, and how (that depiction) has changed since the disaster," she said.

The organisers hope to showcase not just heartfelt commemorations but also the numerous tawdry cash-ins that have appeared down the years.

Anyone with a spare £50 might be able to buy something like a piece of Titanic coal brought up from the seabed, gold-encased and transformed into a necklace.

Or what about a beer called Sink the Titanic - with an iceberg on the bottle.

"This is an example of Titanic tat, but it's part of the social history of the whole thing," she said.

"This exhibition is to look at how it has changed, because after all, this was a disaster."

Alongside the exhibition which runs between 15 and 22 April, there will also be daily speakers, schools displays and tours around Titanic sights in Belfast by bus, boat and on foot.

The Titanic was built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast, and the city has been capitalising on its links to the ship.

Work on the first phase of the Titanic Quarter, the biggest property development scheme ever undertaken in Northern Ireland, has begun in the city.

An ambitious £100m heritage project at the site where the Titanic was built is planned.

It will include a full-scale model of the liner, exhibition galleries and a hotel and conference centre.

It is hoped the attraction will be open by 2012, the 100th anniversary of the ship's launch. The Titanic Signature Project envisages a centrepiece building, three times the size of Belfast City Hall, based on the slipway where Titanic and her sister ships were built.

lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

tonight, march 17, 8 PM eastern on TCM..."a night to remember", the classic titanic movie.
spot

Titanic Fanatic

Post by spot »

You could get to this, LC - 'Artifacts from one of history's most famous ships are in Miami and the public can get their first look at them this weekend. "Titanic: The Artifact Exhibit" opens Saturday at the Miami Museum of Science, 3280 S. Miami Ave.'

from http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 8501.story
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

spot wrote: You could get to this, LC - 'Artifacts from one of history's most famous ships are in Miami and the public can get their first look at them this weekend. "Titanic: The Artifact Exhibit" opens Saturday at the Miami Museum of Science, 3280 S. Miami Ave.'

from i"]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/ ... 501.storyi saw that notice in the Miami Herald. and do want to attend. i shall wait until Bothwell is here because i know he'd enjoy it too. thanks for thinking of me!
woppy71

Titanic Fanatic

Post by woppy71 »

lady cop wrote: i've had an abiding interest in the Titanic tragedy for most of my life.......

You have definately got to get in touch with my brother in law, he is absolutely mad on the titanic, lol:wah:
Behaviour breeds behaviour - treat people how you would like to be treated yourself
lady cop

Titanic Fanatic

Post by lady cop »

City celebrates Titanic anniversary

Belfast is applying the finishing touches to a series of events to mark the 95th anniversary of the launching from the city of the RMS Titanic.

The Titanic was launched from Belfast 95 years ago

The fifth annual 'Titanic Made in Belfast' festival begins on Easter Saturday 15 April and continues until Saturday 22 April.

The ill-fated liner, which sank with the loss of 1,500 lives on its maiden transatlantic voyage in 1912, was built at Belfast's Harland and Wolff shipyard.

During the Easter week, Belfast City Hall will display 250 Titanic artefacts never seen before in Northern Ireland, which will be auctioned in England immediately after the festival.

A wealth of other activities have been organised by Belfast City Council over the week.

One of the highlights will be the first public screening of the unedited 'lost' Titanic film, believed to be the longest and most comprehensive Titanic footage yet discovered

Meanwhile, the acclaimed 'Titanic At Home' exhibition, has temporarily taken up a new berth.

Telling the story of the building of Titanic, and of the people who built it, the exhibition this year will be staged at W5, the interactive discovery centre at the Odyssey Pavilion - just a few hundred yards from where Titanic itself grew majestically on the Belfast skyline 95 years ago.

It focuses on the creation of the ship, telling the story through the eyes and words of the workers who put a piece of themselves into the ship and those who sailed from Belfast never to return.

'Titanic The Image', a major new exhibition, is being staged in partnership with the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.

It will look at the enduring myths around the ship and how it has become a key icon of international popular culture and one of the great metaphors of our time.

Visitors will be taken on a journey of images charting the three stages of Titanic's life: its creation in Belfast, its fateful maiden voyage and sinking, and its 'afterlife' as portrayed in paintings, films and other visual representations.

Belfast Lord Mayor Wallace Browne said the Titanic story was both fascinating and poignant.

"For too long, Belfast's part in the Titanic story, and the role of the people of Belfast in bringing Titanic to life, has been neglected," he said.

"Over the past few years, the city that gave birth to the ship, and many others, finally and rightfully acknowledged her part in the tale, and Belfast City Council once again is proud to celebrate the achievement, commemorate the tragedy and educate the world about our city's role in the Titanic story."

This year's festival, which has been organised by Celebrate Belfast, is dedicated to the memory of John Parkinson, president of the Belfast Titanic Society, who passed away at the age of 99, on 1 March. More details of the events can be obtained from the Belfast Welcome Centre, by calling +44 (0) 28 9024 6609, by email from events@belfastcity.gov.uk, or online at www.belfastcity.gov.uk/celebratebelfast2006.

PIXIECHICK35

Titanic Fanatic

Post by PIXIECHICK35 »

I too am intrigued with the history of titanic. I would love to find the time to read the books you all have suggested.

Return to “History”