September Scholar

OpenMind

September Scholar

Post by OpenMind »

chonsigirl wrote: Well, since I write "secondary sources," do I get a separate equation?

*Nomad, your math homework is overdue...............*

Talking about Coberst's reference to the grading of sources, I would have thought that the primary source of knowledge was from life and nature.
OpenMind

September Scholar

Post by OpenMind »

coberst wrote: I came to this forum because someone mentioned that everyone is smart. Self-actualizing learning is not for everyone not because they cannot do it but because they have not found the joy of learning. I think part of the difficulty is a slumbering curiosity and imagination.

The domains of knowledge that my curiosity has led me to are history, philosophy, physics and sociology. I already had a good bit of math with my engineeing degree.

A book that I find particularly interesting is "Philosophy in the Flesh" that explaines some of the accomplishments of cognitive science.

I enjoy discussing many things. They told me you people were smart but they did not mention the bathroom language you like to use.

Thanks for the welcome.

Knowledge learnt is indeed very rewarding if pursued from the heart. My own fascinations tend towards quantum mechanics, and spiritual energy. Unfortunately, I frequently work long hours and get precious little time to pursue these things.

I would also like to find more time to play my guitar. I would also like to learn to play another instrument - the flute and/or the keyboard. But I simply get so little time for it.

At the moment, when time permits, I explore chakra energy systems. I find it very interesting and more so because I can almost see the interface between the spiritual and the physical. At the moment, I am still a student and it is very difficult to find someone with my particular perspective to discuss the subject without getting involved with rituals and altars, and so on.

Physics was one of my favourite subjects at school and I did quite well with it. I also studied Social Science with the Open University in the mid-80s and found it fascinating. Nonetheless, I am unable to keep abreast of developments because of my essential commitments. I do not lack inspiration, I lack the time.

Just the same, feel free to post a thread on any subject you like. You are likely to have swords and sabres thrown at your arguments, much as happens in the world of the learning institutions worldwide. This is a healthy thing as it stimulates necessary argument to help our understanding of a subject. Here on the forum, we are less formal than the establishment of learning and insults can and do get traded. But usually, this is just a light anecdote and, in an ironic sense, a measure of friendship.

So, go forth and share what you have with those that want to share it.
Galbally

September Scholar

Post by Galbally »

nvalleyvee wrote: When did you meet my mother???? :wah:

As to all the posts about IQ........the average IQ of the kids I teach is 50 and they articulate their opinion with more clarity than Coberst's first post.

Cobert - I enjoyed your input and your thoughts are welcome here, it's great to see that great minds don't think alike. I like a good agruement - it keeps everyone thinking.

Look, If I did meet her, I didn't do nothing, ok? Though was she ever on a trip to Munich in Germany by any chance? :thinking:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
nvalleyvee

September Scholar

Post by nvalleyvee »

Galbally wrote: Look, If I did meet her, I didn't do nothing, ok? Though was she ever on a trip to Munich in Germany by any chance? :thinking:

Yes Germany - she was there 1959- 1960. And by the way I only asked if you knew her .........I never accused you of having transformed her into a normal human being.................
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
santa

September Scholar

Post by santa »

Ho-ho-ho Coberst, have a nice time here.
coberst

September Scholar

Post by coberst »

Openmind

"Talking about Coberst's reference to the grading of sources, I would have thought that the primary source of knowledge was from life and nature."

I suspect one can make such an argument but I do not agree. Such experience gets us started and furnishes the foundation of who and what we are but is very limiting in a modern age. Before books such was all we had available but the arrival of the printed page had both good and bad effects. You might see "Understanding Media" by McLuhan to get the bad side of the equation.

Books opened up a whole new world of experience that to ignore can be very limiting. It might be compared to living in the "hollow" in the mountains all of your life.
chonsigirl

September Scholar

Post by chonsigirl »

Historians always view primary sources as some original reference to past history, documented through printed works, oral histories, artifacts...........etc.
OpenMind

September Scholar

Post by OpenMind »

coberst wrote: Openmind

"Talking about Coberst's reference to the grading of sources, I would have thought that the primary source of knowledge was from life and nature."

I suspect one can make such an argument but I do not agree. Such experience gets us started and furnishes the foundation of who and what we are but is very limiting in a modern age. Before books such was all we had available but the arrival of the printed page had both good and bad effects. You might see "Understanding Media" by McLuhan to get the bad side of the equation.

Books opened up a whole new world of experience that to ignore can be very limiting. It might be compared to living in the "hollow" in the mountains all of your life.

When data is compiled from data, there are two classes that divide that data. Primary data is drawn from actual real facts whereas secondary data is drawn from existing data. These are terms that I learnt through the study of social science.

I am not saying that books are irrelevant. They are still important rof learning. Nonetheless, books, like data, are compiled from a particular perspective as defined by the author. The perspective will necessarily omit certain facts as irrelevant to the argument being presented by the author. There, for any particular subject that you are studying, it is important to read books written by a range of authors with competing perspectives to acquire the whole picture.

It is also important to define your own question that you are seeking to answer and whatever assumptions that you are going to influence the answer. This applies whatever discipline you are working within.
Jives

September Scholar

Post by Jives »

Far Rider wrote: Im the resident Cowboy. I aint to smart,

This is a cover, Cobert. Far Rider is extremely intelligent and has a natural charisma that allows him to intuitively understand emotional responses and sway opinions easily. He is a leader on these boards and If everyone here is smart, why would we follow someone stupid?

I'm glad to see you returned, BTW. I had assumed that you posted the intro from your website as a sort of "advertisement" and that you didn't expect to return. Also, thank you for the kind words concerning my profession. You and I obviously have one thing in common...we both believe that more knowledge, and by that more education, will benefit mankind.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Jives

September Scholar

Post by Jives »

coberst wrote: I came to this forum because someone mentioned that everyone is smart.

Well! That was certainly kind of them. It's also true. The educational level of some of our members is amazing, and all the others are extremely talented in many ways. You have yet to meet our Leader, Anastrophe. Possibly one of the most intelligent men I have ever conversed with. Our biblical scholar, Clint, is also another logic heavyweight.

Self-actualizing learning is not for everyone not because they cannot do it but because they have not found the joy of learning. I think part of the difficulty is a slumbering curiosity and imagination.

And today you are posting better and more lucid thoughts. I agree, curiosity and imagination are on the wane in our society. It's one of the things I fight daily in my War on Ignorance. I once told the kids, "You need to use your imagination. " They replied, "I don't have any." I thought, "Since they get everything pre-imagined on DVD or PS2, and they don't read any books, that's probably true."

The domains of knowledge that my curiosity has led me to are history, philosophy, physics and sociology. I already had a good bit of math with my engineering degree.

The word you are looking for is "Polymath". That is someone well-versed in those subjects, as am I.

A book that I find particularly interesting is "Philosophy in the Flesh" that explaines some of the accomplishments of cognitive science.

Read it. As well as the works of Joseph Bruer, his assistant and the grandfather of psychoanalysis, Wilhelm Fliess, and C.G. Jung. As for Cognitive science,it is radically different from previous psychological approaches in two key ways. It accepts the use of the scientific method, and generally rejects introspection as a valid method of investigation, unlike phenomenological methods such as Freudian psychology. But didn't you just suggest that introspection was one of your methods?

I enjoy discussing many things. They told me you people were smart but they did not mention the bathroom language you like to use.

It also explicitly acknowledges the existence of internal mental states (such as beliefs, desires and motivations) unlike behaviourist psychology. So why would the emotional response of the other members of this forum upset you? After all, that is a part of this cognitve process.

And this forum employs "swear filters' which forbid any use of profanity. What are you referring to?

Thanks for the welcome.

My pleasure. It's obvious that you are very sophisticated. But to underrate anyone, merely because their vocabulary is not up to speed with yours, is to make a grave mistake. ;)
Jives

September Scholar

Post by Jives »

Far Rider wrote: Pffft!

Jives Ive given you the wrong impression! *pulls out a $20 hands it to Jives*

lol. Nice try, Far.:wah: I mean "Santa".
ELF

September Scholar

Post by ELF »

*looking for the schnapps*
lady cop

September Scholar

Post by lady cop »

ELF wrote: *looking for the schnapps*you might have more luck in the pub than in academia Elf! :rolleyes:
coberst

September Scholar

Post by coberst »

Rider

Thanks for the welcome!
ComfortablyNumb

September Scholar

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

SnoozeControl wrote: It means I used a two dollar work when a one dollar word worked just as well (tired.)

Mmmmm, pie.

Quite right. Never use a long word where a diminutive one will suffice!
nvalleyvee

September Scholar

Post by nvalleyvee »

ComfortablyNumb wrote: Quite right. Never use a long word where a diminutive one will suffice!

did you mean diminuative? Sorry - it's a big word thing.........:wah:
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper

Return to “Philosophy”