Gland Trouble

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
l.plates

Gland Trouble

Post by l.plates »

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice, I have a year old black lab, about a month ago he started noring at his back end, it got so bad he mad it sore and took a patch of his fur off.

The vet said his glands near his backside where blocked, the vet squeezed them and gave him some antibiotics, it cleared it up within a couple of days.

But 2 weeks later I'm back where I started, its driving the dog mad, It costs a fortune to keep getting the vet to squeeze them and antibiotics.

Any help on how to stop this would be much appreciated

Cheers

one gratefull black friendly lab
Bothwell

Gland Trouble

Post by Bothwell »

L Plates bad luck!!

Swollen anal glands are a problem all dogs can suffer but Labs particularly (as the owner of one myself I should know) repeated anti biotics will clear it up but the occasinal visit to the vets will have to carry on unless you want to clear tem yourself which is not a job I would recommend.

Problem is the expense of vets bills which are now outrageous
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
jasmund

Gland Trouble

Post by jasmund »

Hi, I also had a lab (best dogs in the world) since they cant help themselves you need to take him back to the vet, also ask about liquid benadryl, I have a lot of patients that give their animals that for anxiety, itching, etc. It may make them sleepy but it helps them emotionally with anxiety. Let me know, I really care. My Lab was a buff color and named buddy my absolute best friend and my sons, the neighbor children let him out and didnt put him back in the barn(he had a heated kennel) he stayed there when we were at work and stayed in the house with us when we returned home) I received a call from the sheriff he had been hit, I drove like mad he was still alive, I went to one farm vet by my house he wasnt home, and buddy passed away about 3 minutes before I pulled into the vet hospital 15 minutes away, my son still sleeps with buddys bright orange collar on his bed post and will not get a new lab puppy, that was 4 years ago, so when I say i care I care.:-6 Please let us know what your puppy is named.

-good luck, Jasmund
abbey

Gland Trouble

Post by abbey »

SnoozeControl wrote: A friend has a small dog with that problem and she's learned to "unpack" the glands. I don't imagine it would be pleasant though, especially with a large, strong dog.

Good luck and best wishes, especially to your lab.If you have a half decent vet, they will teach you how to squeeze the anal glands to empty them.

I have my dogs done when she goes for her hair to be clipped, but sometimes they empty themseves,

not a pleasant smell i can tell you!
valerie

Gland Trouble

Post by valerie »

It's not a nice smell at all, it's pretty foul but you can get used to doing

it yourself and save lots of money and stress for you and your dog.

What are you feeding? Some good quality kibbles might actually help

empty the anal glands naturally. My german shepherd Tamsen (the best

breed of dogs in the world!;) ) hasn't needed hers done for years.

I have a list around here of some good quality foods, I'll see if I can find

it and bump it!

:)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

lady cop

Gland Trouble

Post by lady cop »

flopstock wrote: There's just something about a site where you can't say sh!t but this thread stays front and center through breakfast and lunch....:wah:you can't say shite? ...i agree, it's making me :yh_sick :yh_sick :yh_sick bilious!
l.plates

Gland Trouble

Post by l.plates »

jasmund wrote: Hi, I also had a lab (best dogs in the world) since they cant help themselves you need to take him back to the vet, also ask about liquid benadryl, I have a lot of patients that give their animals that for anxiety, itching, etc. It may make them sleepy but it helps them emotionally with anxiety. Let me know, I really care. My Lab was a buff color and named buddy my absolute best friend and my sons, the neighbor children let him out and didnt put him back in the barn(he had a heated kennel) he stayed there when we were at work and stayed in the house with us when we returned home) I received a call from the sheriff he had been hit, I drove like mad he was still alive, I went to one farm vet by my house he wasnt home, and buddy passed away about 3 minutes before I pulled into the vet hospital 15 minutes away, my son still sleeps with buddys bright orange collar on his bed post and will not get a new lab puppy, that was 4 years ago, so when I say i care I care.:-6 Please let us know what your puppy is named.

-good luck, Jasmund

Hi

Thanks for the advice I'll try and get that liquid benadry. My Labs a black one his name is Sam, and he's just one year old.

Fantastic with the kids, he also likes to get on the beds with them, he evan tries to get under there quilts with his head on the pillow, it looks rearly cute, but I dont leave him there I dont think it's too healthy for the kids that is.

This is the third Lab we have had, always found them to be a good friendly gentle dog which is ideal with young children around.
l.plates

Gland Trouble

Post by l.plates »

[QUOTE=SnoozeControl]Can people get impacted anal glands? Because I have to warn you, I tend to exhibit the same symptoms after I hear about them. Call it hypochondria, but I don't believe there's anyone here that would enjoy me with impacted anal glands.[/Quote ]

HI

me either

Return to “Pet Advice Support”