Post by LarsMac »

Oh, SURE!
It's all OUR fault.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Re: Further Evidence that Climate Change is Human Induced

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 7:06 pm Oh, SURE!
It's all OUR fault.
Well until we stop pumping CO2 into the atmosphere the extreme weather will just keep on happening.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

They have found a new use for all of the underground space left vacant by the oil and gas extractions in our region. Carbon Capture.
We now have a project to pump CO2 into underground spaces for long term storage.
That should prove to be interesting.
https://netl.doe.gov/carbon-management/ ... atlas-data
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:56 am They have found a new use for all of the underground space left vacant by the oil and gas extractions in our region. Carbon Capture.
We now have a project to pump CO2 into underground spaces for long term storage.
I couldn’t see what form they were storing it in, any idea?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 5:19 am
LarsMac wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 10:56 am They have found a new use for all of the underground space left vacant by the oil and gas extractions in our region. Carbon Capture.
From the USGS.gov site:

"Geologic carbon sequestration is the process of storing carbon dioxide (CO2) in underground geologic formations. The CO2 is usually pressurized until it becomes a liquid, and then it is injected into porous rock formations in geologic basins. This method of carbon storage is also sometimes a part of enhanced oil recovery, otherwise known as tertiary recovery, because it is typically used later in the life of a producing oil well. In enhanced oil recovery, the liquid CO2 is injected into the oil-bearing formation in order to reduce the viscosity of the oil and allow it to flow more easily to the oil well."
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:45 am
From the USGS.gov site:

"Geologic carbon sequestration is the process of storing carbon dioxide (CO2) in underground geologic formations. The CO2 is usually pressurized until it becomes a liquid, and then it is injected into porous rock formations in geologic basins. This method of carbon storage is also sometimes a part of enhanced oil recovery, otherwise known as tertiary recovery, because it is typically used later in the life of a producing oil well. In enhanced oil recovery, the liquid CO2 is injected into the oil-bearing formation in order to reduce the viscosity of the oil and allow it to flow more easily to the oil well."
I always thought they did that using steam but I guess that would be too energy intensive.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 11:33 am
LarsMac wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:45 am
From the USGS.gov site:

I always thought they did that using steam but I guess that would be too energy intensive.
I would think that compressing it to liquid would be rather energetic, as well.
Not to mention, now pumping all that liquid into a huge underground empty space.
More investigation is required, I think.
I'll let you know what I find out.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Liquid Carbon Dioxide can only exist at pressures above 5 bar and temperatures below 31°C. The temperature gradient below ground is an additional 25°C per kilometer. I think there can be very few places on earth that could sustain pockets of Carbon Dioxide for even a hundred years much less a thousand, given those limitations. One fracture in any sealed space and it'll be gone back to the atmosphere in mere years, clay dome or no clay dome.

Here's ChatGPT's view. Somewhat more nuanced. And pumping the stuff down there as a liquid does sound practical.

If the gas is replaced by carbon dioxide, can it be stored indefinitely?
ChatGPT

The concept of replacing extracted natural gas with carbon dioxide (CO2) is known as CO2 sequestration or carbon capture and storage (CCS). The primary goal of this process is to mitigate climate change by capturing CO2 from industrial processes or power plants and storing it underground in depleted gas or oil reservoirs, deep saline aquifers, or unminable coal seams.

In theory, CO2 can be stored indefinitely in these geological formations, but several factors must be considered to ensure long-term stability and safety:

Containment: The storage site must be carefully selected to ensure that CO2 remains trapped and does not leak into the atmosphere or contaminate groundwater. This requires evaluating the caprock, which is the impermeable layer above the reservoir that prevents the CO2 from escaping.

Monitoring: Continuous monitoring is necessary to detect any potential leakage and evaluate the integrity of the storage site over time. This can include monitoring wellhead pressure, groundwater quality, and CO2 levels in the atmosphere around the site.

Pressure management: Injecting CO2 into the reservoir can increase pressure, which may lead to leakage or even induce seismic activity if not managed correctly. It is essential to control the pressure by adjusting injection rates or, in some cases, extracting brine or water from the reservoir.

Regulatory compliance: Appropriate regulations and guidelines must be in place to ensure that CO2 storage projects adhere to safety and environmental standards. This includes obtaining permits and approvals, as well as complying with reporting and monitoring requirements.

If these factors are properly addressed, CO2 can be stored safely for long periods, potentially thousands of years. However, the long-term success of any specific project will depend on the geological conditions of the storage site and the effectiveness of monitoring and management practices.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Earth Changes”