Mission to Mars (movie, 2000)

spot

Mission to Mars (movie, 2000)

Post by spot »

It should be better known. It is an obscure discarded dreg of a film but it presses so many cautionary buttons.

The script is indistinguishable from any mid-fifties Hollywood scifi B-movie written forty years before than the film's production. The dialog is embarrassing. Practically no scene passes without an obligatory Stars and Stripes and a USA logo on every visible surface. The plot is simply disgusting from start to finish, there is no attempt at realism, no passing nod to the laws of physics. I have absolutely no idea why an sane human would have wanted this movie made in the first place.

Directed by Brian De Palma who made Carrie, The Untouchables and Mission: Impossible, so it's mainstream. Produced for Disney.

Watch it and squirm from start to finish.

And did I mention how dire the wooden acting is?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Re: Mission to Mars (movie, 2000)

Post by Betty Boop »

I liked Carrie. :oops:
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:57 am I liked Carrie. :oops:
Unsurprisingly I have seen none of the three named. They are unsavory.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Carrie was interesting. I preferred the book.
Untouchables was entertaining, if you like shoot 'em ups. The most memorable scene involved a baby carriage.
Mission: Impossible a bunch of stunts, loosely tied to a forgettable plot.

I'd watch the Mars thing, if I could do so without paying for it. Amazon wants 4 bucks. Meh.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Films Cinema Forum”