Staying warm in Winter

What's the weather like today?
spot

Staying warm in Winter

Post by spot »

Today's papers are full of the US suffering from a cold spell. "Hell freezes over" was a popular headline.

I do hope those concerned are avoiding the sub-zero outdoors, or at least dressing appropriately on their way to Midnight Mass.

A sports reporter called Mark Woodley had a few hours of fame... https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... rk-woodley
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Re: Staying warm in Winter

Post by spot »

I do hope y'all in America are less snowed in than the photos over Christmas indicated. It looked very tough indeed.

Did I see something about a hot water system failing?

My thermometer here is a record 13.3°C (56°F) where I'm sat. I'm grateful for small mercies.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Some time this wek it's expected to warm up to Freezing, here.
And, yes, our water heater went down yesterday.
It turned out that the controller got confused and shut down.
I fixed it, today, by powering off, and back on.
Modern technology.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

well, we now have the fourth snowstorm in about four weeks. We have snow piled up all over the property, and tomorrow, I get to dig out the cars and pile some more snow.
I do regret not packing up the RV and heading to Arizona for the winter.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

We have a practice in England of scattering handfuls of crunchy rocksalt across our pathways after snow, to melt the covering and provide traction to our boots. Perhaps that would help?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:06 am We have a practice in England of scattering handfuls of crunchy rocksalt across our pathways after snow, to melt the covering and provide traction to our boots. Perhaps that would help?
Oh, yes. We've gone through almost two gallons of the stuff so far since Turkey Day.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Post by tabby »

We've had a very mild winter so far. There were a few days in December that were "brisk" but no snow and moderate temperatures since then.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Its been a lot colder here in Cornwall this winter than I've ever known it. It's generally pretty mild until now, and then we get the really cold short sharp snaps after Christmas. We've been having longer cold snaps since before Christmas, and there's no sign of them going just yet.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We are in our fourth bout of extended sub=freezing weather, here on the plains.
We are having a problem finding places to put the snow, and provide parking for our cars.
Today, it warmed to 2 f, The next few days we can expect something in the 20s for high temps. We should top freezing Wednesday or Thursday.

Next Winter, I plan to spend in Florida or Mexico.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Weather Station”