Goodwood Festival of Speed

spot

Goodwood Festival of Speed

Post by spot »

I note this news story yesterday:
It’s been a busy time for the Red Arrows recently, after June kicked off with a spectacular RAF flypast to mark the Platinum Jubilee.

The display team formed part of a flyover of more than 70 military aircraft after the Trooping the Colour ceremony, with the Queen watching from the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

Since then, the Red Arrows have made appearances at a range of events around the country, and kick off a busy Armed Forces Day schedule today with a display at the Goodwood Festival of Speed – here’s when and where to see them.

https://inews.co.uk/news/red-arrows-fli ... ed-1701743

In the context of the approaching heat-death Armageddon from burning fossil fuels, might this sort of exhibition be at least questionable? What place has any "Festival of Speed" in the 21st century?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Re: Goodwood Festival of Speed

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:30 am I note this news story yesterday:
It’s been a busy time for the Red Arrows recently, after June kicked off with a spectacular RAF flypast to mark the Platinum Jubilee.

The display team formed part of a flyover of more than 70 military aircraft after the Trooping the Colour ceremony, with the Queen watching from the balcony of Buckingham Palace.

Since then, the Red Arrows have made appearances at a range of events around the country, and kick off a busy Armed Forces Day schedule today with a display at the Goodwood Festival of Speed – here’s when and where to see them.

In the context of the approaching heat-death Armageddon from burning fossil fuels, might this sort of exhibition be at least questionable? What place has any "Festival of Speed" in the 21st century?
Given that all of the cars run over the weekend probably use less fuel than the Red Arrows fly past and a minute fraction of a normal day’s motoring in this country it still has a function until we collectively decide to forgo all pleasure and bunker down to live a minimal existence.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:31 am

Given that all of the cars run over the weekend probably use less fuel than the Red Arrows fly past and a minute fraction of a normal day’s motoring in this country it still has a function until we collectively decide to forgo all pleasure and bunker down to live a minimal existence.
I wonder if that is true. Given that all the cars and trucks spend half their operating time sitting in traffic, their efficiency is greatly reduced and fuel consumption is horribly increased for the amount of work accomplished, the Flyovers, while entirely for show are probably at least as efficient as your average automobile during a daily commute.

I think it worthy of some amateur research.
A quick search shows that the US Military is attempting to find an "All-purpose fuel" to be used by their various and sundry vehicular needs.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:46 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:31 am

I wonder if that is true. Given that all the cars and trucks spend half their operating time sitting in traffic, their efficiency is greatly reduced and fuel consumption is horribly increased for the amount of work accomplished, the Flyovers, while entirely for show are probably at least as efficient as your average automobile during a daily commute.

I think it worthy of some amateur research.
A quick search shows that the US Military is attempting to find an "All-purpose fuel" to be used by their various and sundry vehicular needs.
Hmmm, a quick wander across the web, it seems that it may be true.
Hard to find specific data, but in general, ...
"So, in conclusion, private jets will burn anywhere from 50 gallons of fuel per hour, all the way up to 626 gallons per hour."
That would feed a lot of cars.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:19 am Hmmm, a quick wander across the web, it seems that it may be true.
Hard to find specific data, but in general, ...
"So, in conclusion, private jets will burn anywhere from 50 gallons of fuel per hour, all the way up to 626 gallons per hour."
That would feed a lot of cars.
The Red Arrows don’t hold back on the throttle and typically do several impromptu flypasts going to and from the main display so I’m guessing more the latter.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I think that I might have witnessed one of their demonstrations during my second visit to the UK, as part of the y2k revelries.

They seem to be much like our Blue Angels, and Thunderbirds.
I have been witness to a number of those shows.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:22 pm I think that I might have witnessed one of their demonstrations during my second visit to the UK, as part of the y2k revelries.

They seem to be much like our Blue Angels, and Thunderbirds.
I have been witness to a number of those shows.
Much like - but far better :-p

Return to “Conservation The Environment”