Pick up a book...

General humor & jokes. Share funny photos and jokes. Must be "R" rated or below.
Betty Boop

Pick up a book...

Post by Betty Boop »

any book close to you and turn to page no 45.

The first sentence on the page describes your love life. (in honour of valentines day)

In every undertaking, examine its antecedents and their consequences, and only then proceed to the act itself.
How To Be Free - An Ancient Guide to the Stoic Life - Epictetus

Bit boring, should have found a 'lighter' book.
spot

Re: Pick up a book...

Post by spot »

Betty Boop wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:23 pm any book close to you and turn to page no 45.

The first sentence on the page describes your love life. (in honour of valentines day)
’Twas taught by wise Pythagoras,
One soul might through more bodies pass.
Seeing such transmigration there,
She thought it not a fable here.

First sentence, page 45, "Poetical Works of Sir John Denham".

I quite like the opening post's "look before you leap" message though.

It's a good thing it was "what's on your desk" and not "what are you listening to", I was playing Freewheelin' and the last track must have been Don't Think Twice, which is as un-Valentine as it gets.

denham.jpg
denham.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

This is the only other book within reach, if I ignore magazines...

Presumably it indicates who a chap really ought to send his Valentine to?

I sing a long-neglected dame.
Let plays and poets all proclaim
The wonder of the mother's name,
And even that of granny;
Let others tell with loud hurrahs
The general praises of Papas -
I hymn the Mother of Mamas,
I sing the British Nanny.

First sentence, pp.44-45 with illustration, "She-Shanties", A. P. Herbert.

herbert.jpg
herbert.jpg (185.7 KiB) Viewed 687 times
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
theia

Post by theia »

‘But the active will, which is totally self-orientated, exerts itself to keep us on the surface of life, chained to a limited mentality’

Bernadette Roberts, The Path to No-Self
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

theia wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:27 am ‘But the active will, which is totally self-orientated, exerts itself to keep us on the surface of life, chained to a limited mentality’

Her acceptable alternative to active will sounds awfully close to dementia:
This [will-to-God] is a silent faculty; it does not think, speak, remember, or form images. It is a silent power that takes its power from God, and in this silence our will runs into His will, there to receive its life, strength - virtue.
I get more than enough of that already without cultivating it. It's why I'm wary of the current Mindfulness fad which is even taught in primary schools round these parts. I've clearly failed to grasp something important.
theia

Post by theia »

spot wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:05 am
theia wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:27 am ‘But the active will, which is totally self-orientated, exerts itself to keep us on the surface of life, chained to a limited mentality’

Her acceptable alternative to active will sounds awfully close to dementia:
This [will-to-God] is a silent faculty; it does not think, speak, remember, or form images. It is a silent power that takes its power from God, and in this silence our will runs into His will, there to receive its life, strength - virtue.
I get more than enough of that already without cultivating it. It's why I'm wary of the current Mindfulness fad which is even taught in primary schools round these parts. I've clearly failed to grasp something important.

Maybe it is awfully close? My dad lived a life of unexpressed emotion, unhappiness and unfulfilment. His descent into dementia was tragic … he was verbally aggressive, his behaviour could sometimes be inappropriate, and he was terrified. We lost the person we thought he was and it was heartbreaking. But in his final months he seemed Buddha-like, relaxed, smiling and joking, as if he no longer had a care in the world.

I think mindfulness can be helpful but I don’t believe it’s the quick fix that some appear to claim.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Apart from Spot's Nanny offering those are all pretty serious books we have on the go :lol: Anyone got anything light hearted?

Next up, Pick up a book, a different one this time and turn to page 73. First sentence of the second paragraph describes your relationship with your Mother.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Umm, well,...ok
He kept his underpants on and dipped a foot gingerly into the water.

Bear, Greg. The Infinity Concerto (Songs of Earth and Power Book 1) (p. 73). Open Road Media. Kindle Edition.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
theia

Post by theia »

Jaffa, however, is not waiting for explanations, scientific or otherwise.

The Ravaged Bridegroom, Marion Woodman

Return to “Just For The Fun Of It”