Ethernet Issues

FourPart

Ethernet Issues

Post by FourPart »

I'm not sure if this is the right Forum section to post this, but not to worry.

Just recently whenever I'm streaming Videos on such platforms as YouTube or FaceBook the Video is freezing, although the Audio is fine, so I'm just getting a series of still frames. However, I've discovered that if I open the Ethernet Monitor in Task Manager everything runs fine.

I've also noticed that when I run a Speed Test without the Ethernet Monitor running I'm only getting less than 30mbs but with it running I'm getting about 50mbs. This is bizarre as it strikes me that if you have an additional app open it should, in theory, slow down the performance not boost it.

Also, when I run a Speed Test using my Phone hooked into the Wi-Fi I'm getting about 52mbs.

I have tried uninstalling the Realtek Family Controller from Device Manager & reinstalling it, which did seem to make a dramatic difference to the display on the Ethernet Monitor, but no real difference to anything else.

Does anyone know how I can get my performance stabilised without having to have the Ethernet Monitor open all the time?
spot

Re: Ethernet Issues

Post by spot »

1. It could be as simple as replacing the Ethernet cable - if you have a spare in a drawer you could try that.

2. If you want to check whether it's software related, make a Live USB with, for example, Mint, then boot from it (which won't affect your existing configuration) and check the YouTube performance on that. If the glitches disappear then you have a software issue. The only straightforward way to fix that is to copy all the files you want to save, reinstall from scratch and restore your files. It would involve reinstalling all the programs you want to continue using too.

3. If neither has an effect then the machine's Ethernet hardware has failed. If you put a PCI or USB Ethernet connector in and default to that then you ought to get back to normal. That might be £10 or so.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:02 am 1. It could be as simple as replacing the Ethernet cable - if you have a spare in a drawer you could try that.

2. If you want to check whether it's software related, make a Live USB with, for example, Mint, then boot from it (which won't affect your existing configuration) and check the YouTube performance on that. If the glitches disappear then you have a software issue. The only straightforward way to fix that is to copy all the files you want to save, reinstall from scratch and restore your files. It would involve reinstalling all the programs you want to continue using too.

3. If neither has an effect then the machine's Ethernet hardware has failed. If you put a PCI or USB Ethernet connector in and default to that then you ought to get back to normal. That might be £10 or so.
1. Changing the cable was the first thing I tried. I even tried plugging it in a different slot on the Router.
My Laptop works fine using Wi-Fi.

2. From what I can see Mint is for Linux. This is on W10.

3. I've ordered me a PCIe Wi-Fi adapter. Cheapest I could see for £20. I guess even if it doesn't fix the issue it won't do any harm to have Wi-Fi capability on there. It would come in useful for the Printer which, at the moment, is connected to the Router via Ethernet, then the signal relayed from there to the Printer.The router is right next to the PC, so minimal signal loss.

I've also got an Outreach engineer coming round tomorrow. Apparently my setup is an outdated wy, coming into the property by Fibre to the Terminal box, then having an Ethernet extension to an ADSL Socket, which leads to the Router. The Engineer is going to see if it's possible to reinstall with up to date setup.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:11 pm 1. Changing the cable was the first thing I tried. I even tried plugging it in a different slot on the Router.
My Laptop works fine using Wi-Fi.

2. From what I can see Mint is for Linux. This is on W10.

3. I've ordered me a PCIe Wi-Fi adapter. Cheapest I could see for £20. I guess even if it doesn't fix the issue it won't do any harm to have Wi-Fi capability on there. It would come in useful for the Printer which, at the moment, is connected to the Router via Ethernet, then the signal relayed from there to the Printer.The router is right next to the PC, so minimal signal loss.

I've also got an Outreach engineer coming round tomorrow. Apparently my setup is an outdated wy, coming into the property by Fibre to the Terminal box, then having an Ethernet extension to an ADSL Socket, which leads to the Router. The Engineer is going to see if it's possible to reinstall with up to date setup.
1. That's good.

2. If you check back, I suggested using Mint briefly without adding it to your system, just to bypass the W10 driver and operate the hardware directly, to test the hardware. Then you reboot and you're back into W10.

3. That's good, it will replace the hardware and driver at the same time. You have an option to PCI-to-Ethernet too, if you want to stay wired - that's what I had in mind.

4. Yes, fibre to the box outside does switch onto copper for the final hundred yards. Fibre to the premises avoids copper entirely and you'd plug your Ethernet directly into the fibre connect box indoors. It's definitely preferable.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:11 pm
I’m a bit confused here, is this fibre into a terminal box in your house and then an adaptor running a cable to a separate adsl socket with the router plugged into that of fibre to a terminal box outside the house with the adsl socket being the first box in the house?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:31 pm
I’m a bit confused here, is this fibre into a terminal box in your house and then an adaptor running a cable to a separate adsl socket with the router plugged into that of fibre to a terminal box outside the house with the adsl socket being the first box in the house?
The Fibre comes into the Terminal from the Right. Then, from the left a cable goes into the Living Room to an ADSL Socket.
The plugin adapter has one cable going off to another regular phone socket in the Living Room & the one to the Right into the Bedroom. The other socket in the pic is an old unused Cable & Wireless one.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:30 am
The Fibre comes into the Terminal from the Right. Then, from the left a cable goes into the Living Room to an ADSL Socket.
The plugin adapter has one cable going off to another regular phone socket in the Living Room & the one to the Right into the Bedroom. The other socket in the pic is an old unused Cable & Wireless one.
Then he should be able to change the router and improve your speed and reliability significantly.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 am
Then he should be able to change the router and improve your speed and reliability significantly.
The Router's already been replaced.
Engineer has just been. He's replaced the Terminal & updated the setup, although it's still on the same setup as before. He had already been briefed by the previous engineer & apparently the way this is set up is generally more commonly found in offices where they might be using multiple Data Terminals around the office.
However, despite everything having been updated, things are still no better, and totally baffled him when the speed went to the normal 50mbs when I opened the Task Manager, but back to 27mbs as soon as I closed it, when it should, theoretically be the total opposite.
Apparently at about the same time all this started they had been doing upgrading of the Cabinets outside, but as to whether or not that's related is unknown.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:59 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 am
The Router's already been replaced.
Engineer has just been. He's replaced the Terminal & updated the setup, although it's still on the same setup as before. He had already been briefed by the previous engineer & apparently the way this is set up is generally more commonly found in offices where they might be using multiple Data Terminals around the office.
However, despite everything having been updated, things are still no better, and totally baffled him when the speed went to the normal 50mbs when I opened the Task Manager, but back to 27mbs as soon as I closed it, when it should, theoretically be the total opposite.
Apparently at about the same time all this started they had been doing upgrading of the Cabinets outside, but as to whether or not that's related is unknown.
If you have fibre to the premises then you should be able to connect that directly to a fibre modem and get a far faster connection than the adsl2 modem could ever give you.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I believe it's fibre to the Cab, then copper within the block.
The engineer changed the terminal & rewired to up to date system, advising that the system would reset several times automatically later in the evening.
At first there was no apparent difference but seems to be working fine now.
Also, my PCI Wi-Fi adapter arrived from Amazon a couple of hours ago, so am going to have to get round to installing that sometime.

Return to “Computers Internet”