888 App

Betty Boop

888 App

Post by Betty Boop »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... 1633797321

Certainly is a sticking plaster and I fully agree with Angela, someone make her leader for gods sake!
Angela Rayner, [.] condemned the idea, tweeting: “Here’s a radical idea for you Priti – instead of tracking women’s movements as we go about our lives, how about the government actually tackles male violence instead? Only 1% of reported rapes result in a charge. That’s the problem, not us walking home.”
or what we are wearing, or that earlier that night we'd been nice to them or accepted a drink, or any other random action a woman may take that some men then somehow translate into meaning something more.
It starts now and it starts with re-educating men and boys.
spot

Re: 888 App

Post by spot »

I thought Angela Rayner was an agony aunt. Clearly I'm not keeping up.

I don't recall ever thinking anyone was a goer, I'm not sure all males are to be disparaged.

I don't even think the police are competent to keep the streets safe by walking them, I think automated public surveillance is the only way to fix matters.

Claire, not Angela. Got there. Jay's mum.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

This program does put all the responsibility on the women try and protect themselves, and the solution is post trauma. Hardly much protection, it seems to me.

I would suggest that women wear body-cams, and dye-packs like they put on money in the banks. so when a woman is attacked we have photo of the perp, who now is wearing a splash of bright florescent coloring, which could include a tracker for the police to locate him. Another option would be to require women to own firearms, and be trained in their use.

Educating boys early may prove useful some time in the future. Though I was never educated on the subject, and I always seem to know that attacking women was not a proper behavior.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:34 pm I thought Angela Rayner was an agony aunt. Clearly I'm not keeping up.

I don't recall ever thinking anyone was a goer, I'm not sure all males are to be disparaged.

I don't even think the police are competent to keep the streets safe by walking them, I think automated public surveillance is the only way to fix matters.

There are a lot of men who don't think all women are goers, but there are also a lot of men who do. I had hoped things had changed over the years but given my daughters experiences of men are more recent and I can remember my dating days in the distant past, I can compare her experiences to mine. Nothing much has changed since the 80's/90's when I was dating. The really nice non assuming non expectant men are much smaller in number than the men who view women as something to be conquered and posessed.
Maybe it would be fitting to track men rather than women. Surely women have had their behaviour unwantedly altered enough through the years to suit men and its time for women to insist that men altered theirs.
spot

Post by spot »

I don't think anyone needs to be fitted for tracking. I do think everyone should be tracked. I think the knowledge that nobody can pretend to have been elsewhere after an incident would have a significant effect on behavior.

https://www.architectural-review.com/es ... ced-public last month was an interesting historical overview of public surveillance though I disagree with it almost entirely. For one thing, modern cheap-as-chips self-relocating equipment has no need for public lighting at all. Even starlight provides enough illumination for monitoring and identification.

As for changing cultural drives, shame is a powerful driver. At the moment I expect bragging outweighs it in many circumstances.

None of this has an effect on what happens privately within homes, I've no idea how society can get to grips with that.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:51 pm
spot wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:34 pm I thought Angela Rayner was an agony aunt. Clearly I'm not keeping up.

There are a lot of men who don't think all women are goers, but there are also a lot of men who do. I had hoped things had changed over the years but given my daughters experiences of men are more recent and I can remember my dating days in the distant past, I can compare her experiences to mine. Nothing much has changed since the 80's/90's when I was dating. The really nice non assuming non expectant men are much smaller in number than the men who view women as something to be conquered and posessed.
Maybe it would be fitting to track men rather than women. Surely women have had their behaviour unwantedly altered enough through the years to suit men and its time for women to insist that men altered theirs.
Maybe the nice unassuming non expectant men tend to stay in stable relationships and do less dating so skewing your sample.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:35 am Maybe the nice unassuming non expectant men tend to stay in stable relationships and do less dating so skewing your sample.
That was my problem. Never managed the nice.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:39 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:35 am Maybe the nice unassuming non expectant men tend to stay in stable relationships and do less dating so skewing your sample.
That was my problem. Never managed the nice.
I always thought that it away the unassuming!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:35 am
Betty Boop wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:51 pm

Maybe the nice unassuming non expectant men tend to stay in stable relationships and do less dating so skewing your sample.
Having been 40 years into a very stable relationship, I can only say that all of this is a bit puzzling to me.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I am still here, I got a bit stumped :lol: I hear what you are all saying, but I think you maybe aren't the type of guys that hung about in a bar, followed by the local nightclub and then waiting to see what women they could pick up, they are the ones I am referring to.

So at risk of offending everyone, you are more nerdy types, nerdy types weren't in the venues I was in :lol:

Just to make you feel less insulted I am often accused of being a nerd and it's probably why I didn't ever really like any of the guys in pub!
spot

Post by spot »

At the risk of appearing either irate or pedantic, allow me to note that my dictionary describes "nerd" as mildly offensive. Especially when applied wholesale to everyone who's posted.
An insignificant, foolish, or socially inept person; a person who is boringly conventional or studious. Now also: spec. a person who pursues an unfashionable or highly technical interest with obsessive or exclusive dedication.

Nobody could reasonably describe any of the chaps here as obsessive or unfashionable.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:37 pm At the risk of appearing either irate or pedantic, allow me to note that my dictionary describes "nerd" as mildly offensive. Especially when applied wholesale to everyone who's posted.
An insignificant, foolish, or socially inept person; a person who is boringly conventional or studious. Now also: spec. a person who pursues an unfashionable or highly technical interest with obsessive or exclusive dedication.

Nobody could reasonably describe any of the chaps here as obsessive or unfashionable.
:D :geek: :ugeek:

A better description...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerd
A nerd is a person seen as overly intellectual, obsessive, introverted or lacking social skills. Such a person may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, little known, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical, abstract, or relating to topics of science fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Additionally, many so-called nerds are described as being shy, quirky, pedantic, and unattractive.[4]

Originally derogatory, the term "nerd" was a stereotype, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity. However, the augmentative terms, geek and dork, have not experienced a similar positive drift in meaning and usage.[5]
It's a word applied to people who are techie's who are able to do lots of things on computers like run forums, build websites, run servers etc etc etc
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Betty Boop wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:02 pm
A nerd is a person seen as overly intellectual, obsessive, introverted or lacking social skills. Such a person may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, little known, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical, abstract, or relating to topics of science fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3] Additionally, many so-called nerds are described as being shy, quirky, pedantic, and unattractive.[4]

Originally derogatory, the term "nerd" was a stereotype, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity. However, the augmentative terms, geek and dork, have not experienced a similar positive drift in meaning and usage.[5]
It's a word applied to people who are techie's who are able to do lots of things on computers like run forums, build websites, run servers etc etc etc
The thing is that those who use the term with the intent of it being derogatory seem to overlook is that we nerds see the term as one of respect.

Return to “Current Events”