The observation and asides thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Betty Boop

Re: The observation and asides thread

Post by Betty Boop »

No idea on the others, only use facebook, its still down.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Betty Boop wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:03 pm No idea on the others, only use facebook, its still down.
It came back up about an hour ago.
cars

Post by cars »

Betty Boop wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:03 pm No idea on the others, only use facebook, its still down.
Not a big FB fan here, as it gets me riled up when I see a subject, and then I try to refer to it again 1/2 hour later and cant find that subject again.
(Maybe it's just me, I could be doing something wrong, but it usually always happens)
Cars :)
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

cars wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:13 am
Not a big FB fan here, as it gets me riled up when I see a subject, and then I try to refer to it again 1/2 hour later and cant find that subject again.
(Maybe it's just me, I could be doing something wrong, but it usually always happens)
Ah yes, facebook is not forum like at all! You'd possibly need to make a note of the person who posted the original thread and then search that person, then search through all their posts - bit long winded
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Had a 1st Stage Teams Interview this morning. I know it's commonly said amongst Recruiters that if an Interview overruns it's a good sign, but this one was a bit more than I would have expected. 30 Min Interview took 1:45.

I've got lots of Irons in the Fire at the moment, but if offered multiple positions I think this one might be a front runner for me to accept.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:15 pm Had a 1st Stage Teams Interview this morning. I know it's commonly said amongst Recruiters that if an Interview overruns it's a good sign, but this one was a bit more than I would have expected. 30 Min Interview took 1:45.

I've got lots of Irons in the Fire at the moment, but if offered multiple positions I think this one might be a front runner for me to accept.
I wish you luck with the job hunt.
Never was a fan of job hunting. That's the main reason I worked for the same company for 30 years. (Well, they did pay me pretty well. And I liked the work, too. )
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Have been sitting here thinking to myself.....no...complaining to myself about babysitting five men building a wall for 11 hours. Im bored. I want to be home. Why did i volunteer for this?

I then had a quick glance at my award hourly rate for the time im here.

Ill just shut the fuck up now. And relax back into my chair. 8-)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:13 am Have been sitting here thinking to myself.....no...complaining to myself about babysitting five men building a wall for 11 hours. Im bored. I want to be home. Why did i volunteer for this?

I then had a quick glance at my award hourly rate for the time im here.

Ill just shut the fuck up now. And relax back into my chair. 8-)
There's the problem with being retired. With all the COVID restrictions (Mostly self-imposed at this point) I still find my self being bored a lot, but no longer getting paid for it.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:17 am There's the problem with being retired. With all the COVID restrictions (Mostly self-imposed at this point) I still find my self being bored a lot, but no longer getting paid for it.
Register on Upwork and find short-term things you'd enjoy.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:38 am
spot wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:11 am
spot wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 am
spot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:13 am
spot wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 amTwelve months it's taken them to get round to bringing these two prats into court. Perhaps someone retired and a replacement officer knew how to use the computer.

And the selfish antisocial gits are out in force this weekend again. Same place, same people, same disruption. All the council says is oh soz, we couldn't get an injunction because of the virus. Nonsense, mister councillor, that's as idle inept an excuse as anyone ever came up with.
Steph Ansell, co-organiser of the event, disagrees with Cllr Taylor, arguing the car enthusiast community shouldn’t be “tarnished with the same brush”.

In a joint statement with Herts Car Society’s co-owner, Ty Dell, they said: “What happened last year at the Cruise-Herts meet was completely devastating.

“I witnessed it myself and would never want anything like that happening again. That being said, it was a freak, terrible accident caused by two people out of thousands.”

https://www.thecomet.net/news/stevenage ... -1-6740261

No Steph, it wasn't a freak, terrible accident caused by two people out of thousands. Go and look at the photos of the skid marks in the car park. Every meet you ever had ends up covered in skid marks like those, local residents have to suffer through it time after time, and that's the direct collective fault of the organizers. Do you know why I'm harping on? I have tinnitus and I'm constantly having to cover my ears with my hands when your blasted "car enthusiasts" drive up the main street, foot down, minimal muffling and filthy thousand-watt rap echoing off the shop-fronts. I have no idea why noise emissions aren't a standard part of the MOT, none of you should be on the road in the first place.
And the council has, finally, reacted.
The future of car cruises in Stevenage will be decided at High Court later this month, as the council has applied for an injunction that would ban car cruising in the town.

Although certain hotspots have been used for car meets in the past, including Roaring Meg car park, Fairlands Valley and Monkswood Way, the injunction will seek to ban car meets in the entire district of Stevenage.

Steph Ansell, co-founder of Herts Car Society, believes this is another example of the car enthusiast community being “tarnished with the same brush”.
And not before time either.

When was the last time the Herts Car Society had an event and didn't leave skid marks at the venue? Try to be honest, Steph. Your idealized picture of an event is not reality and you know it.
The interim injunction now has a two year extension. That's a start.
The future of illegal “car cruising” in Stevenage has taken a further hit, as a court extended its ban in the town for at least two more years.

Following a hearing on Monday, December 7, Luton County Court made the decision to extend the injunction against participating in a car cruise – namely to be a driver or passenger in a motor vehicle.

https://www.thecomet.net/news/luton-cou ... -1-6956877
And, finally, sentencing. Five years in jail for one of the wantons, and four years for the other. For some reason they haven't been banned from driving for life, I believe they ought to have been.
The council now have an injunction in place that will provide police with powers to prevent the kind of activity that caused the accident and we are working with them to enforce this legislation.

https://www.hertsad.co.uk/news/monkswoo ... ve-8052950
Perhaps next time they could charge the organizers and other participants too.

This injunction banning these bring-your-own car display events should be national and permanent, not regional and temporary.
I'm pleased to note a five year extension to the order banning car clubs from burning rubber into Stevenage's car parks. Damn right too.
"The bad people do ruin it for the people who appreciate some cars that have been fantastically altered and vintage cars but driving excessively dangerously, endangering the health and well-being of the lives of other people is what, unfortunately, some of these people do.

"Performing stunts on our roads which is dangerous for both themselves and the visitors who are just admiring the event so, unfortunately because of the way these events are organised, it's not possible to regulate them [in another way]."

Dominic Brown, from St Albans, and Julian Castano Perez, from Dunmow in Essex, were jailed following the crash on 18 July, 2019.

Both pleaded guilty to eight charges of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and 11 of causing bodily harm by wanton and furious driving.

Sentencing the pair, Judge Michael Kay said they had shown an "idiotic desire to show off".

He said car cruise events should be banned to avoid "more scenes of carnage" otherwise there is a risk "people will die and be injured".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-64495680
The same thing happened last November, all from twerps racing their pimped wheels. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... o-28544339
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Quiet innit, I guess everyone is celebrating Valentines...

Roses are red, violets are blue, poetry is hard. Avocado.

Roses are red, that much is true, but violets are purple, not bloody blue.

Roses are red, violets are blue, vodka is cheaper, than dinner for two.

Roses are red, I’m going to bed.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:40 pm The same thing happened last November, all from twerps racing their pimped wheels. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/b ... o-28544339
And another... these car meets are completely antisocial and I'm sure the police already have all the tools they need to prevent them, what they lack is the will to go out and do it.
A dispersal order covering an entire city has been put in place ahead of a suspected car meet.

Essex Police said they had information that a meeting of up to 200 cars was planned in Chelmsford on either Friday night or Saturday.

A dispersal order covering Chelmsford and surrounding villages is in place from 17:00 GMT until 06:00 on Sunday.

It gives officers the power to move on anyone suspected of anti-social behaviour or of attending the meet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-essex-64834741
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 5:22 amAnd another... these car meets are completely antisocial and I'm sure the police already have all the tools they need to prevent them, what they lack is the will to go out and do it.
It is entirely fixable, this car meet problem. The vehicles involved just need to be scrapped by court order, after confiscation at the meet, and the full policing costs paid by the owner.

This is Lincolnshire...
A Lincoln councillor has called on MP Karl McCartney to put an end to the “dangerous” and “illegal” behaviour stemming from the local car meet community.

In an open letter to the MP, Abbey Ward representative Martin Christopher raised concerns about how little had been done to help prevent this kind of behaviour.

A number of incidents at the city’s Carlton Centre last year led to police issuing a dispersal order forcing anti-social youths to move on from the area.

In January, barriers were put in place at the retail park to curb boy racers and stop car meets in the parking spaces near people’s homes.

However, while car enthusiasts no longer meet anywhere near as often, loud engine noises still plague the area.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2023/03/cou ... on-centre/
spot

Post by spot »

Deputies in Ohio arrived to a family home and encountered a large male zebra acting aggressively.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64919127

You can guarantee that's not going to end well for the zebra.
spot

Post by spot »

If John F Kennedy were still alive, he'd be 105 years old.

The only unreasonable opinion I ever held was that he wore a hairpiece, but that seems less likely as time goes on.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:19 pm
Deputies in Ohio arrived to a family home and encountered a large male zebra acting aggressively.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64919127

You can guarantee that's not going to end well for the zebra.
In stark contrast, a rampaging zebra in Seoul was quitly returned to the zoo it escaped from.
A young zebra walked, trotted and galloped for hours through the busy streets of Seoul before emergency workers tranquillised the animal and brought it back to a zoo.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... n-in-seoul

The zebra in Ohio had been "attempting to protect female zebras in the same field" before a deputy blasted it with a shotgun. Perhaps American police believe they can escalate as far as they want whenever they sense disrespect. Which may, of course, be why they're so disrespected.
spot

Post by spot »

I note the following from an Independent article:
A Prison Service spokesperson said: “There is no such thing as solitary confinement in our prison system. Some prisoners will be segregated if they pose a risk to others but this is reviewed regularly.

“Like other prisoners, they are allowed time in the open air every day, visits from relatives, phone calls, access to legal advice and medical care.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/c ... 66575.html

Any Prison Service spokesperson capable of such a meaningless pettifogging sophistic deflection should be fired, declared unemployable for the rest of their miserable life and pilloried on a regular basis. Merely removing the term "solitary confinement" from the prison system's dictionary doesn't stop the practice from actually happening.
spot

Post by spot »

Diane Abbott, MP for Tower Hamlets, appears to have given the current right-wing leadership of the Labour Party its excuse for permanently banning her membership.

It's today's letter in The Observer:
Racism is black and white

Tomiwa Owolade claims that Irish, Jewish and Traveller people all suffer from “racism” (“Racism in Britain is not a black and white issue. It’s far more complicated”, Comment). They undoubtedly experience prejudice. This is similar to racism and the two words are often used as if they are interchangeable.

It is true that many types of white people with points of difference, such as redheads, can experience this prejudice. But they are not all their lives subject to racism. In pre-civil rights America, Irish people, Jewish people and Travellers were not required to sit at the back of the bus. In apartheid South Africa, these groups were allowed to vote. And at the height of slavery, there were no white-seeming people manacled on the slave ships.
Diane Abbott
House of Commons, London SW1

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver ... en-letters

I don't think she can politically survive that. Here's her panicked retraction, unless her Twitter account has been hijacked.

abbott.jpeg
abbott.jpeg (87.25 KiB) Viewed 865 times

Return to “General Chit Chat”