BIDEN. his Afghanistan Withdrawal

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Total failure, shameful.

This is going to be a story that will just keep on giving.

CHAOS AS TALIBAN TAKE CONTROL IN AFGHANISTAN

https://www.wsj.com/

Deadly violence erupts at Kabul airport as Afghans try to flee

That is G-rated, there are some videos of desperate people falling from airplanes.

Seven dead in chaos at Kabul airport as U.S. troops scramble to maintain order
Chaos enveloped the international airport in Kabul on Monday, with U.S. troops trying to maintain order while throngs of people rushed the tarmac and large crowds crushed against the facility’s outer gates amid mounting collective fear a day after the Taliban swept back to power in the Afghan capital.

A top White House official said the U.S. military would work through the day to evacuate women, judges and other Afghans who could “be in the crosshairs” of the Taliban.

“These are desperate people,” Jonathan Finer, White House deputy national security adviser, told CNN. “These are people who quite rightly are looking for a way out.”
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... mac-lawma/

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
spot

Re: BIDEN. his Afghanistan Withdrawal

Post by spot »

I'm totally baffled by what you typed.

"CHAOS AS TALIBAN TAKE CONTROL IN AFGHANISTAN"?

Because "Deadly violence erupts at Kabul airport as Afghans try to flee"?

Who in God's name do you think was using deadly violence at Kabul airport? The Taliban?

Kabul airport is the only place left under American control! Your own news piece even says "U.S. troops trying to maintain order while throngs of people rushed the tarmac". And clearly failing.

Here, a BBC report on whether there's chaos in Kabul. I can't believe you're just making up filth from sheer prejudice.
The city, however, is still carrying on. It is calm. I haven't spoken to many residents, but the local taxi driver I use was kind of alright with the takeover. Surprisingly, I've seen people greeting Taliban militants - saying "hello, more power to you, best of luck", that sort of thing.

Taliban fighters seem happy, too - I've spoken to a couple of them, ground soldiers on patrol. We tried to get into the presidential palace but they didn't let us in. They said we needed permission from the high command. But the militants I saw were friendly to us.

I was scared yesterday a bit, fearful there was going to be violence and things like that. But luckily nothing happened. It was so quiet and calm. I couldn't believe that the capital had changed hands after 20 years and it was all so quiet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58232815

As best I can tell, foreign forces have been handed full control of Kabul airport for two weeks to sort out their commitments and then they're out for good. Maybe they'll untangle their own paralysis and start flying people abroad without completed paperwork instead of just behaving like control freaks and creating panic.

There's a simple question needs answering, do you want the Afghans at the airport to be flown to America for sanctuary or do you not, in fact, want them? I'd be interested to know your thought on that. Should US forces at Kabul airport be expediting these flights or preventing them? Would you prefer more panic or less?

Here you are. Control freak in action. Who's the enemy of the Afghan people?

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:32 am I'm totally baffled by what you typed.

"CHAOS AS TALIBAN TAKE CONTROL IN AFGHANISTAN"?

Because "Deadly violence erupts at Kabul airport as Afghans try to flee"?

Who in God's name do you think was using deadly violence at Kabul airport? The Taliban?

Kabul airport is the only place left under American control! Your own news piece even says "U.S. troops trying to maintain order while throngs of people rushed the tarmac". And clearly failing.

Here, a BBC report on whether there's chaos in Kabul. I can't believe you're just making up filth from sheer prejudice.

The city, however, is still carrying on. It is calm. I haven't spoken to many residents, but the local taxi driver I use was kind of alright with the takeover. Surprisingly, I've seen people greeting Taliban militants - saying "hello, more power to you, best of luck", that sort of thing.

Taliban fighters seem happy, too - I've spoken to a couple of them, ground soldiers on patrol. We tried to get into the presidential palace but they didn't let us in. They said we needed permission from the high command. But the militants I saw were friendly to us.

I was scared yesterday a bit, fearful there was going to be violence and things like that. But luckily nothing happened. It was so quiet and calm. I couldn't believe that the capital had changed hands after 20 years and it was all so quiet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-58232815

As best I can tell, foreign forces have been handed full control of Kabul airport for two weeks to sort out their commitments and then they're out for good. Maybe they'll untangle their own paralysis and start flying people abroad without completed paperwork instead of just behaving like control freaks and creating panic.

There's a simple question needs answering, do you want the Afghans at the airport to be flown to America for sanctuary or do you not, in fact, want them? I'd be interested to know your thought on that. Should US forces at Kabul airport be expediting these flights or preventing them? Would you prefer more panic or less?

Here you are. Control freak in action. Who's the enemy of the Afghan people?

As I sit here, we are still waiting for the rest of our troops to come home.

U.S. to Deploy Thousands of Troops Back to Afghanistan for Evacuation
The need for security has overwhelmed existing forces on the ground, prompting the U.S. to announce the deployment of three infantry battalions back into its longest war zone.

Three U.S. infantry battalions of roughly 1,000 troops each – two from the Marine Corps and one from the Army, which are already in the region – will deploy to Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul to help facilitate the evacuation of American personnel and the thousands of Afghans eligible to emigrate to the United States. The British government announced simultaneously that 600 of its forces would also redeploy to Afghanistan to help provide security.

An additional U.S. infantry brigade of as many as 4,000 soldiers will fly from Fort Bragg, North Carolina, to Kuwait, where they will stage in case they're needed to contribute to the security response. And a joint force of roughly 1,000 Army and Air Force personnel will set up in Qatar in the coming days to also help process special immigrant visa applicants from Afghanistan and their families.

https://www.usnews.com/news/world-repor ... evacuation

spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:27 pmAs I sit here, we are still waiting for the rest of our troops to come home.
As you sit there, you're as usual ignoring every question I put to you. Why did you bother quoting me?

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:30 pm
tude dog wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:27 pmAs I sit here, we are still waiting for the rest of our troops to come home.
As you sit there, you're as usual ignoring every question I put to you. Why did you bother quoting me?

Topic
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:56 pm
spot wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Topic
Well done, yes. BIDEN. his Afghanistan Withdrawal.

Why are US forces occupying Kabul airport? To withdraw the thousands of staff from the US embassy. Would you prefer them to be left behind? They're shredding documents at the moment in an attempt to abandon the building. Most of them are American citizens.

A lot of Afghans collaborated with American armed forces. Many were promised sanctuary by every administration since 2001. Do you want those promises to be kept or do you not, in fact, want these panicking collaborators brought into the US Homeland?

The question is entirely on topic.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I never thought that I'd admit to agreeing with the Donald on anything, but it was his doing to initiate pulling us out of Afghanistan.

We should have never gone there to begin with. Bush gets the rap for that. Obama should have gotten us out of it. His worst failure.

T Rump initiated the current pull-out, but was smart enough to leave the actual job to Biden.

Biden is stuck with the clean-up.
Whatever he does, he will get the blame for the FUBAR, and his successor will reap the credit for finally getting us out of the mess.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

What amazes me is American politicians, most notably President Biden, spent the last two weeks screaming at the Afghan government to have a civil war, and the Pentagon in various guises screamed at the Afghan government to have a civil war, and the Afghan regional commanders stood up and refused to allow it to happen. It's astonishing how many Afghan lives they saved in the process.

I agree with the sentiment of the thread, that President Biden cocked up the withdrawal by trying to force the Afghan government army to fight the Afghan resistance movement and failing to spark a war. Both tude and I are very glad he failed. We have a thread where we agree 100% even though we might then differ on what outcome we'd have preferred.

I don't think President Biden can be blamed for re-arming the Taliban with 80 billion dollars worth of modern weaponry and transport which they have now inherited undamaged from the former regime. That was all done before he took office.
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:32 pm I don't think President Biden can be blamed for re-arming the Taliban with 80 billion dollars worth of modern weaponry and transport which they have now inherited undamaged from the former regime. That was all done before he took office.

On the other hand, if it's true that the Taliban's newly-acquired UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters are still under warranty, President Biden would be remiss if he allows Sikorsky to honor the terms. Perhaps the warranty is only applicable to the initial owner.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Under pressure, State Dept. scraps plan to bill Kabul evacuees $2K for flights
WASHINGTON — The State Department was forced to scrap a widely excoriated plan to bill US citizens $2,000 or more for their evacuation flights from Kabul
https://nypost.com/2021/08/19/state-dep ... r-flights/

Just put the cost on the multi-trillion-dollar in fracture bill. :lol:

All thet have t do now is to call for an Uber ride to the airport. :roll:
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:09 pm I never thought that I'd admit to agreeing with the Donald on anything, but it was his doing to initiate pulling us out of Afghanistan.

We should have never gone there to begin with. Bush gets the rap for that. Obama should have gotten us out of it. His worst failure.

T Rump initiated the current pull-out, but was smart enough to leave the actual job to Biden.
Whatever he does, he will get the blame for the FUBAR, and his successor will reap the credit for finally getting us out of the mess.
The mess Biden created all by his incompentance.

HE owns it.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:55 am Under pressure, State Dept. scraps plan to bill Kabul evacuees $2K for flights
WASHINGTON — The State Department was forced to scrap a widely excoriated plan to bill US citizens $2,000 or more for their evacuation flights from Kabul
https://nypost.com/2021/08/19/state-dep ... r-flights/

Just put the cost on the multi-trillion-dollar in fracture bill. :lol:

All thet have t do now is to call for an Uber ride to the airport. :roll:
Do you want the Biden administration to fly the Afghans at the airport to America for sanctuary or do you not, in fact, want them?

You know - the Afghans who worked for the US military over the last two decades. Those Afghans.

Charging American citizens for their exfiltration doesn't bother me one jot, but you seem to think the Afghans offered sanctuary have no business arriving in America at all.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:04 am
LarsMac wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:09 pm I never thought that I'd admit to agreeing with the Donald on anything, but it was his doing to initiate pulling us out of Afghanistan.

HE owns it.
You just proved my point. It was not Biden's incompetence that got us here. And you actually already know that.
Trumps Afghan deal
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:37 am

HE owns it.
You just proved my point. It was not Biden's incompetence that got us here. And you actually already know that.
Trumps Afghan deal
For the first time, Biden slavishly followed Trump's plan as opposed to normal practice canceling anything Trump?

I don't know if it was Biden's screw-up or his handler. It has been a multi-layered tragedy, thanks to Biden.
spot

Post by spot »

Biden's responsibility lies entirely in his voting in favor of the invasion of Afghanistan in 2001. Nothing he's done since has had a comparable downside.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:21 pm
LarsMac wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:37 am

HE owns it.
Trumps Afghan deal
For the first time, Biden slavishly followed Trump's plan as opposed to normal practice canceling anything Trump?

I don't know if it was Biden's screw-up or his handler. It has been a multi-layered tragedy, thanks to Biden.
Link:Biden was stuck with the deal
By the time he took office, there was really no going back.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Link:Biden was stuck with the deal
[/quote]

That was his decision to make. Look where we are now.

Biden warns Kabul airport attackers: 'We will hunt you down'
WASHINGTON, Aug 26 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden, his voice breaking with emotion, vowed on Thursday the United States would hunt down those responsible for twin explosions at the Kabul airport in Afghanistan and said he asked the Pentagon to develop plans to strike back at them.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/biden- ... 021-08-26/

Good thing we have more soldiers in the country now than when we started this withdrawal.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:53 pm Link:Biden was stuck with the deal

WASHINGTON, Aug 26 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden, his voice breaking with emotion, vowed on Thursday the United States would hunt down those responsible for twin explosions at the Kabul airport in Afghanistan and said he asked the Pentagon to develop plans to strike back at them.

Good thing we have more soldiers in the country now than when we started this withdrawal.
[/quote]
Nah,...
We don't need soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan to hunt those bastards down.
We'll figure out where they are, and use a drone. That's the aerial version of a car bomb.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:18 pm We don't need soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan to hunt those bastards down.
We'll figure out where they are, and use a drone. That's the aerial version of a car bomb.

Why would President Biden use the methods of the Wild West when he could instead demonstrate the superiority of law enforcement? In what way is armed force preferable to the courtroom?

The American government, public and media getting that question wrong back in 2001 is why President Biden had to withdraw from Afghanistan now. Unilateral extra-legal pursuit was a very expensive mistake, and here you are wanting it perpetuating.

With cold anger, he said: “To those who carried out these attacks today – as well as anyone who wishes America harm – know this: we will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay.”

He said he had ordered the Pentagon to “develop operational plans to strike Isis-K assets, leadership and facilities”, adding: “We will respond with force and precision at our time, at the place we choose and the moment of our choosing.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -explosion

There he is, off down the rabbit hole yet again like his predecessors. Is it not blatantly obvious that if President Biden invited the Afghan government to arrest those responsible and try them, the Afghan government would in fact be delighted to cooperate and the world would have an example of lawful process to build on? How could that not be preferable? What part of the American psyche is so bloody-minded that it would rather fire missiles and not give a damn who else gets killed in the process?

If there were ever an example of a rogue state, America is it. Yesterday's crime took place entirely within Afghan sovereign jurisdiction, the perpetrator (ISIS-K) is already considered a criminal operation by both the old and new administrations in Afghanistan, and yet President Biden is still frothing impotently and refusing to build bridges. "We will hunt you down and make you pay" is the be-all and end-all of America's problem.

If President Biden were to sack every single advisor and speech-writer who recommended an armed response, he'd be a step closer to running a clean competent administration. The only motive for those two suicide blasts was to get President Biden to announce "We will respond with force and precision", why else do you think it happened. If your enemy's knee jerks under specific circumstances then he's already subject to your will, all you need do is hit his knee. Every time an American President says "We will respond with force and precision" you win adherents and kudos.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:24 am
LarsMac wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:18 pm We don't need soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan to hunt those bastards down.

Why would President Biden use the methods of the Wild West when he could instead demonstrate the superiority of law enforcement? In what way is armed force preferable to the courtroom?

The American government, public and media getting that question wrong back in 2001 is why President Biden had to withdraw from Afghanistan now. Unilateral extra-legal pursuit was a very expensive mistake, and here you are wanting it perpetuating.

With cold anger, he said: “To those who carried out these attacks today – as well as anyone who wishes America harm – know this: we will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay.”

He said he had ordered the Pentagon to “develop operational plans to strike Isis-K assets, leadership and facilities”, adding: “We will respond with force and precision at our time, at the place we choose and the moment of our choosing.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -explosion

There he is, off down the rabbit hole yet again like his predecessors. Is it not blatantly obvious that if President Biden invited the Afghan government to arrest those responsible and try them, the Afghan government would in fact be delighted to cooperate and the world would have an example of lawful process to build on? How could that not be preferable? What part of the American psyche is so bloody-minded that it would rather fire missiles and not give a damn who else gets killed in the process?

If there were ever an example of a rogue state, America is it. Yesterday's crime took place entirely within Afghan sovereign jurisdiction, the perpetrator (ISIS-K) is already considered a criminal operation by both the old and new administrations in Afghanistan, and yet President Biden is still frothing impotently and refusing to build bridges. "We will hunt you down and make you pay" is the be-all and end-all of America's problem.

If President Biden were to sack every single advisor and speech-writer who recommended an armed response, he'd be a step closer to running a clean competent administration. The only motive for those two suicide blasts was to get President Biden to announce "We will respond with force and precision", why else do you think it happened. If your enemy's knee jerks under specific circumstances then he's already subject to your will, all you need do is hit his knee. Every time an American President says "We will respond with force and precision" you win adherents and kudos.
Well, a lot of that was pandering to the right. He is, after all, a politician.
And, he's not the Liberal that the T-Rumpers try to make him out to be.
Besides, you realize most of the Military actions America got caught up in since the US Civil War were begun while a Democrat was in the White House, at least until the Bush family got involved.

Them ISIS K folks did their job really well. We'll have a whole new Osama hunt going pretty soon. Just what the folks back home needed. Take their mind off the whole COVID Fiasco.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:18 pm
tude dog wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:53 pm Link:Biden was stuck with the deal

Nah,...
We don't need soldiers on the ground in Afghanistan to hunt those bastards down.
Ug-huh
Just like that. Use the same people who supplied security for the airport. :cry:

Somehow up till now Biden has been quite slow on figuring out business.
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:53 am Just like that. Use the same people who supplied security for the airport. :cry:

Are you implying the White House decides operational details over the head of the Pentagon planners?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

My apologies for posting cartoons here. :?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Post by spot » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:05 pm

tude dog wrote: ↑Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:53 pm
Just like that. Use the same people who supplied security for the airport. :cry:
guring out business.
Are you implying the White House decides operational details over the head of the Pentagon planners?
I have no idea how President Biden exercised his job as Commander in Chief,
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:45 am I have no idea how President Biden exercised his job as Commander in Chief,
He's the chap with whom the buck stops.

He's not the chap who makes any operational decisions.

You fundamentally misunderstand the difference between the White House Administration and the President. The first thinks and does, the other is the figurehead spokesperson who got elected and has no reason to think from one month to the next. That's how President Reagan coped too.

I'm not even American and I can see the difference.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:18 am
tude dog wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:45 am I have no idea how President Biden exercised his job as Commander in Chief,
He's the chap with whom the buck stops.

He's not the chap who makes any operational decisions.

You fundamentally misunderstand the difference between the White House Administration and the President. The first thinks and does, the other is the figurehead spokesperson who got elected and has no reason to think from one month to the next. That's how President Reagan coped too.

I'm not even American and I can see the difference.
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States,
Constitution of the United States
Article 2
Section 2
https://constitutioncenter.org/interact ... article-ii

I love the precedent set by President George Washington.

Washington personally led the troops into Bedford—the first and only time a sitting US President has led troops into the field.
https://www.washingtoncountyinfo.com/th ... llion.html
spot

Post by spot »

You do seem to confuse cause and effect. The chap was commander-in-chief and as a consequence he was make President, not the other way around.

Your observation that no other sitting US President led troops into the field after Washington pretty much confirms my suggestion that more recent Presidents have all been figureheads rather than decision-makers in his Administration.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:54 pm You do seem to confuse cause and effect. The chap was commander-in-chief and as a consequence he was make President, not the other way around.
By definition, the President is Commander in Chief.

Article. II.
Section. 2.
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;

https://www.archives.gov/founding-docs/ ... transcript

You must be elected to be President,
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:06 pm
spot wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:54 pm You do seem to confuse cause and effect. The chap was commander-in-chief and as a consequence he was make President, not the other way around.

Article. II.
Section. 2.
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States;

It's all a matter of language really.

From wikipedia: George Washington was appointed Commanding General of the Continental Army. With this title, he commanded American forces (allied with France) in the defeat and surrender of the British at the Siege of Yorktown during the American Revolutionary War.

He was first elected President some years later, in 1789.

It depends on whether you regard the American Revolutionary War to have been fought by the USA or by colonists. You can say the man was Commander in Chief of all American armed forces during the American Revolutionary War but it wasn't the same American armed forces he subsequently commanded as President. I don't mind. If pedantry prevents you from doing so then that's fine by me.

I don't think he'd have been made the first President if he'd not led the armed forces beforehand though. Cause and effect, that's all I claimed. His position was different to that of all other Presidents.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:23 pm
tude dog wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:06 pm

Article. II.
Section. 2.

It's all a matter of language really.

From wikipedia: George Washington was appointed Commanding General of the Continental Army. With this title, he commanded American forces (allied with France) in the defeat and surrender of the British at the Siege of Yorktown during the American Revolutionary War.

He was first elected President some years later, in 1789.

It depends on whether you regard the American Revolutionary War to have been fought by the USA or by colonists. You can say the man was Commander in Chief of all American armed forces during the American Revolutionary War but it wasn't the same American armed forces he subsequently commanded as President. I don't mind. If pedantry prevents you from doing so then that's fine by me.

I don't think he'd have been made the first President if he'd not led the armed forces beforehand though. Cause and effect, that's all I claimed. His position was different to that of all other Presidents.
UH, are you yanking my chain or what?

The Whiskey Rebellion was a 1794 uprising of farmers and distillers in western Pennsylvania in protest of a whiskey tax enacted by the federal government.

------------------------------------------

Washington met first with the rebels, who assured him the militia was not needed and that order had been restored. Washington opted to retain the military option until proof of submission was apparent.

https://www.history.com/topics/early-us ... -rebellion
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm UH, are you yanking my chain or what?
I was merely, as usual, attempting a conversation. You'd think sharing a common language would help but clearly it doesn't.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:36 am
tude dog wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:53 pm UH, are you yanking my chain or what?
I was merely, as usual, attempting a conversation. You'd think sharing a common language would help but clearly it doesn't.
I am serious and either you don't understand or I am not clear enough to pierce that dense fog of stubbornness.

You wrote
↑Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:54 pm
You do seem to confuse cause and effect. The chap was commander-in-chief and as a consequence he was make President, not the other way around.
Your claim is ridiculous. Tell me what other duties covered under Article 2 of the United States Constitution does someone do before becoming president?

ARTICLE II

Executive Branch
Signed in convention September 17, 1787. Ratified June 21, 1788. Portions of Article II, Section 1, were changed by the 12th Amendment and the 25th Amendment

Section 1
The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America.

He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; A quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice President.

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:--"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Read Interpretations of Article II, Section 1

Section 2
The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Read Interpretations of Article II, Section 2

Section 3
He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

https://constitutioncenter.org/interact ... article-ii
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:40 am I am serious and either you don't understand or I am not clear enough to pierce that dense fog of stubbornness.
I'd go for the not piercing then. I understand perfectly well.

Washington was a unique President, being the first.

He was Commander-in-Chief by reason of being President. We agree.

He had also been Commander-in-Chief before there had been a Presidency, by reason of his leading the American forces in the War of Independence.

He only became President, in my opinion, because he'd won the War of Independence.

Either it makes sense or it doesn't.

Return to “Current Events”