Looking for an effective snake repellent

Mikey

Looking for an effective snake repellent

Post by Mikey »

I was looking for an effective snake repellent for my home garden. The garden is pretty big and has lots of shrubs, small plants and greenery. Did some digging around and found this page on snake repellent - [spectacular example of unsolicited online retailer placement removed by moderator]. Now, pretty much confused, which one should I buy. Please help with your suggestions.
spot

Re: Looking for an effective snake repellent

Post by spot »

airtelbroadband.in

No surprise there then, it was either India or the swampy depths of Louisiana.

Credit where credit's due, she did get through the registration filter.

I could, of course, blanket ban the whole of airtelbroadband.in but that's not really sporting.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

Get a Mongoose.
spot

Post by spot »

They cost a fortune in food and inoculations. Just ignore the snakes.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:35 am They cost a fortune in food and inoculations. Just ignore the snakes.
No problem - "Let them eat snake".
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

A shotty is a good deterrent.

Disclaimer and on the grounds I may incriminate myself..... I did not say that.... and have never entered into a stand off with any vemonous snakes and understand they are protected in Australia. :oops: :lol:
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Typically, the breeds of dog that kill snakes would be ones such as:

Airedales
Australian Terriers
Cairn Terrier
Dachshund
German Pinscher
Jack Russell Terrier
Lakeland Terrier
Miniature Schnauzer
Norfolk Terrier
Rat Terrier
West Highland White Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier

https://doggysaurus.com/what-dogs-kill- ... es-breeds/
spot

Post by spot »

They cost a fortune in food and inoculations too.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:12 pm Typically, the breeds of dog that kill snakes would be ones such as:

Airedales
Australian Terriers
Cairn Terrier
Dachshund
German Pinscher
Jack Russell Terrier
Lakeland Terrier
Miniature Schnauzer
Norfolk Terrier
Rat Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier

I think that I'd prefer having Snakes in the yard. They don't make nearly as much noise as THAT lot.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:16 pm
Snooz wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:12 pm Typically, the breeds of dog that kill snakes would be ones such as:

Airedales
Australian Terriers
Cairn Terrier
Dachshund
German Pinscher
Jack Russell Terrier
Lakeland Terrier
Miniature Schnauzer
Norfolk Terrier
Rat Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier

I think that I'd prefer having Snakes in the yard. They don't make nearly as much noise as THAT lot.
vivdly remember the dog, (kelpie cross) going right off a the kids one day near the play set in the backyard. I thought she'd lost her mottle and would have to be put down. Turns out she was warning them not to go near the swing set. There was an eastern Brown curled up under the swing seat, and it was not budging. A little way away was another one. a very quick decision had to be made. and that's all I'll say. I don't mind snakes. And that's coming from someone who's had a tiger snake sliver through her legs. Shortest camping trip I've ever had. I've come across only one King brown in my life, and you can keep that as a game of soldiers for someone else. Not my cup of tea.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:40 pm

Airedales
Australian Terriers
Cairn Terrier
Dachshund
German Pinscher
Jack Russell Terrier
Lakeland Terrier
Miniature Schnauzer
Norfolk Terrier
Rat Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier

vivdly remember the dog, (kelpie cross) going right off a the kids one day near the play set in the backyard. I thought she'd lost her mottle and would have to be put down. Turns out she was warning them not to go near the swing set. There was an eastern Brown curled up under the swing seat, and it was not budging. A little way away was another one. a very quick decision had to be made. and that's all I'll say. I don't mind snakes. And that's coming from someone who's had a tiger snake sliver through her legs. Shortest camping trip I've ever had. I've come across only one King brown in my life, and you can keep that as a game of soldiers for someone else. Not my cup of tea.
Well, there is THAT.
I've heard stories about the Snakes and Spiders and other critters that seem to be a tad less than hospitable to Humanoids in your corner of the world.
Here in the Northern realm, there are only a very few snakes and even fewer Spiders that are poisonous, and they tend to avoid humans.
I've had a few encounters with such, and only been bit once.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Airedales
Australian Terriers
Cairn Terrier
Dachshund
German Pinscher
Jack Russell Terrier
Lakeland Terrier
Miniature Schnauzer
Norfolk Terrier
Rat Terrier
Yorkshire Terrier

I dunno, I think it'd be entertaining watching a dog flinging a snake around.

But then I'd rather have snakes than have a rodent problem.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:14 pm They cost a fortune in food and inoculations too.
That's my exact thought on children.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snooz wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:05 pm
spot wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:14 pm They cost a fortune in food and inoculations too.
That's my exact thought on children.
They just cost a fortune full stop.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

And it's probably not legal to put them in a kennel at night.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Snooz wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:51 pm And it's probably not legal to put them in a kennel at night.
Based on the world health and child protection laws I believe it is. Although in England you may have a hard time explaining the very basics to be adhered to.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:58 pm
Snooz wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:51 pm And it's probably not legal to put them in a kennel at night.
Based on the world health and child protection laws I believe it is. Although in England you may have a hard time explaining the very basics to be adhered to.

There's a lad somewhere in the South West of England who spent the last 200 nights under canvas in his parent's garden raising money for charity, and wants to make it a full year before he stops. He's ten or so.

here it is - I went and looked: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ca ... r-BB1aIchO
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:29 am

There's a lad somewhere in the South West of England who spent the last 200 nights under canvas in his parent's garden raising money for charity, and wants to make it a full year before he stops. He's ten or so.

here it is - I went and looked: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/ca ... r-BB1aIchO
awwwhhhh....what a little trooper. 10 you say? I reckon the scouting org. should give him an honour badge for that!

But in all seriousness as long as your child/children are living either equal or you are providing better than yourself then you are deemed a suitable parent.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:28 pm
spot wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:29 am

awwwhhhh....what a little trooper. 10 you say? I reckon the scouting org. should give him an honour badge for that!

But in all seriousness as long as your child/children are living either equal or you are providing better than yourself then you are deemed a suitable parent.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-54513247

Still at it, despite the frost out there.
spot

Post by spot »

And there's the year completed - well done that lad.

An 11-year-old boy who has been sleeping in a tent since the first coronavirus lockdown will have his final night outside this weekend.

Max Woosey, from Braunton, Devon, is encouraging children around the world to take part in a "big camp-out" on Saturday night.

He has been sleeping outside in memory of two family friends who died and and has raised more than £270,000.

By Monday morning Max will have camped in his garden for a whole year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-56436100
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

that's just under half a mill............good on him ! And a camp out night around the world to raise funds for kids sleeping rough would be a good idea.
spot

Post by spot »

Update...

500 nights and counting.
But on Tuesday night Max, from Braunton in north Devon, will enjoy – and he insists it really is enjoyment – his 500th consecutive night camping out, an adventure that has raised more than £600,000 for charity.

“It feels amazing to reach 500 nights,” said Max. “It doesn’t seem like it’s been that long because so many cool things have happened since I started camping. I never ever thought that it would last this long, but I absolutely love it.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... t-camp-out

Return to “ForumGarden Hotel”