The continuing quality of English football fans

Discuss all types of sports.
spot

The continuing quality of English football fans

Post by spot »

There's a significant fraction of English football fans who are basically drunken sadistic thugs using football as an excuse to behave violently without consequence. This has been true for as long back as I can remember and it has never been stopped, and it is specific to England.

The reports surrounding the European semi-final with Denmark suggest police at the event stood back and ignored the abuse. That doesn't surprise me either.

Why anyone should have the slightest interest in today's final, while these people continue to be allowed to travel to or attend matches, baffles me. This behaviour is more important than the result of any match or tournament.

The whole of this news report is relevant, not merely one quote:
Allan Nielsen told the Observer on Saturday that he saw Denmark fans being spat at and nearby police doing nothing about it. “Overall the whole experience was very frightening and we felt like we were walking in a war zone and that it was just a matter of time before someone would come at us,” he said. “We saw English fans spitting at kids.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... gland-fans

The whole piece should be more widely distributed. Just claiming it's a trivial minority is irrelevant and not even, in my opinion, demonstrated by the facts. If the governing body were obliged to disqualify England from participating in the final it might wake both them and the country up a bit.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Re: The continuing quality of English football fans

Post by spot »

Groups of England fans without tickets forced their way through the Wembley turnstiles before the Euro 2020 final against Italy, multiple witnesses have told the Guardian.

Supporters breached security barriers outside the stadium and squeezed behind ticket-holders or burst through the electronic gates that allow entry to the concourses and seats. Witnesses said the numbers may have been in the hundreds. There were unconfirmed reports that hundreds of fans charged a disabled entrance door when it opened.

The Guardian has been told that one supporter was left stuck outside after he scanned his ticket and two fans without one pushed through the turnstile ahead of him. Other ticketless fans were seen trying to persuade supporters with tickets to allow them to squeeze in. Stewards were seen failing to prevent fans from forcing their way through a turnstile.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... land-italy

And here's the online equivalent:

The FA strongly condemns all forms of discrimination and is appalled by the online racism that has been aimed at some of our England players on social media. We could not be clearer that anyone behind such disgusting behaviour is not welcome in following the team. We will do all we can to support the players affected while urging the toughest punishments possible for anyone responsible.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/li ... es-wembley

There are few sectors of any society worldwide more despicable than the English football fanatic. Either they're out there reveling in the violence or they're stood aside watching it happen without intervening.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

We have another Ann Winterton foot in mouth moment. Natalie Elphicke, Conservative MP for Dover, tweeted: “They lost. Would it be ungenerous to suggest Rashford should have spent more time perfecting his game and less time playing politics”.

That, I think, should be glued to her name for the rest of her life. Natalie Elphicke should spend more time applauding public service and less time playing politics. It's not a matter of generosity, it's a matter of staying out of the gutter.

Did I mention Conservative?
spot

Post by spot »

The cost of allowing tens of thousands of pig-ignorant alcohol-fuelled football hooligans to travel to Euro 2000 games in England this summer is starting to become apparent.
More than 9,000 Covid infections were linked to Euro 2020 football games monitored for the government’s mass events test scheme, and scientists have said the tournament generated “a significant risk to public health”.

An analysis of the third and final stage of the research programme, released on Friday, found that more than 85% of all the infections connected to the 49 days of various outdoor sport, music and entertainment events came from the eight Euros games involved, and mainly the semi-final and final.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... nts-scheme

Spectating at the games should never have been allowed.

Return to “Wide World of Sports”