woodworking and joining clubs

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
magentaflame

woodworking and joining clubs

Post by magentaflame »

I turned wood yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. I joined a club and now I'm a woodworker. It's so exciting and I was absolutely chuffed yesterday that I'd made some door stops on the turner.
I never thought I'd ever get to do it because their club days were during the week, ....but then I went to Gippstown and found out they are also open on Saturdays I was straight up to join. So I have a few week days and a couple of Saturdays before I start my next job, to woodwork away. When I told them I'd love to learn how to make a wagon wheel their heads perked up. Apparently the blacksmith will love me and I'll be able to help restore carriage wheels (in time when I know something about it) for the park .....WOOHOO!!!

Meanwhile I've been flat out into the late evening making/knitting items for the winter market stalls coming up soon.

Have any of you joined a club or society that you enjoy ?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Re: woodworking and joining clubs

Post by spot »

I've enjoyed woodworking since I was a teenager, making furniture is a satisfying experience. I've never managed to get as good an edge on a metal tool as it can take, but other than that I'm not bad at it. You're a step ahead of me if you've used a lathe though, I never got that confident. Saw, chisel, mallet, square, pencil and plane mostly. The saw is cheating but it's faster.

Clubs or societies are not so satisfactory. I'm insufficiently social.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I'm making a kitchen mallet at the moment.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

And drillbit - I left out the drillbit.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

How is a saw cheating? What do you normally use to cut wood? Your teeth?
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I made an Armchair in Woodwork at School. However, as it was so large it was kept in the hallway at the bottom of the stairs by the Phone Table (remember those things - hard wired - not even a plug).
In later years we did some modifications to the Front Door, turning the open Porch into a Double Glazed, 2 Door Veranda (or whatever you call it).
The problem was that once that had been done there was no way to get the chair out of the house, so apparently when my Father & Stepmother moved out they had to leave the chair behind.
At least it was sufficiently well made to have lasted all those years.

Return to “Members' News”