Antikythera Updated

Bryn Mawr

Antikythera Updated

Post by Bryn Mawr »

A new paper proposing a workable structure for the display of the Antikythera mechanism :-

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-84310-w

Looks fascinating and really looks as though they’ve worked out all the knots.
spot

Re: Antikythera Updated

Post by spot »

That was remarkable, it just goes to show the benefit of leaving things be until exploratory tools get good enough. The recovered lump was in one piece when it was found, it's in 84 now. I suspect what was most lost from that dismantling is lost portions of the inscribed texts.

The front half has to be still down there near the wreck, too. It can't have just dissolved.

There's a 2021 half hour documentary about the paper at
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:40 am That was remarkable, it just goes to show the benefit of leaving things be until exploratory tools get good enough. The recovered lump was in one piece when it was found, it's in 84 now. I suspect what was most lost from that dismantling is lost portions of the inscribed texts.

The front half has to be still down there near the wreck, too. It can't have just dissolved.

There's a 2021 half hour documentary about the paper at
I’ve finally made the time to watch the video, absolutely fascinating.
spot

Post by spot »

The YouTube version felt like it had been edited down to a half hour from something twice the length, but that might be a mistake on my part.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It's during these times that I wish I had a technical/mathmatical mind.
these guys better hurry up and work it out because I have around 30 to 35 years left on this earth ......and I want one before I die.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:07 pm It's during these times that I wish I had a technical/mathmatical mind.
these guys better hurry up and work it out because I have around 30 to 35 years left on this earth ......and I want one before I die.
Looks like they’re building you one as we speak.
spot

Post by spot »

If they add a spring it would double as a clock.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:43 am If they add a spring it would double as a clock.
Zeberdee maybe.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Loved it.

Get lost in the math, but explained well enough to follow the logic.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:46 pm Loved it.

Get lost in the math, but explained well enough to follow the logic.
I had some difficulty visualising the effects of the pin and slot mechanisms but yes, the explanations were very good.

Return to “Space and Astronomy”