Audible and internet help in sourcing reading material

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
magentaflame

Audible and internet help in sourcing reading material

Post by magentaflame »

Firstly, there are certain first editions books I want to own . And one day I will. But meanwhile I also want to read them for my own research and enjoyment. Because usually, you have to own books to read them, you have to be inventive. So I looked up a particular book that I knew was also published in an early Australian newspaper. AND BANG! I have the entire book in print. Quickly running out of printer ink and paper but at least I have it at hand.

Audible
I'm enjoying being read to at the moment for bedtime laughs or to be read to sleep. I decided to choose books read to me or I read as a child. The Snow Queen kept me awake cause it's very good, but Wind in the Willows??? Well I'm not sure if what I remember was actually quite boring or the voice is so soothing it sent me to sleep. Well I've put that on hold for the moment.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Re: Audible and internet help in sourcing reading material

Post by spot »

If you own a Kindle you can redirect your Internet download to the device and reed it without the cost of the ink.

As for audio books, Alan Bennett does a very good Winnie the Pooh.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I have trouble reading off a screen ....and you don't really own it on kindle. It could be wiped at any time.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

There was a time when it could have been wiped at any time. After the Orwell 1984 copyright mess, Kindle changed the rule and said they could no longer choose to wipe anything. I've never had any book wiped.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

We still have libraries, where many of the classics are kept. I can check them out and read them. Being mobile now, I cannot manage owning many books. However I can also find a lot of the greats in the Gutenberg project, which can be downloaded in several formats, and save to disk. I now have four multi Gig portable hard drives loaded with Classics of all sorts, that I can carry around when we are on the road.

I do love the feel of a real book, though, and while I can read them on my tablet, it is not is not really the same. It does, however beat not having access to them when I want.

And there are actually several online collections where all sorts of publications can be found.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

If the books you want are out of copyright then try Project Gutenberg- an excellent source of e-books and raw text.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Gutenberg eh? shall check that out.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:07 pm

I do love the feel of a real book, though, and while I can read them on my tablet, it is not is not really the same. It does, however beat not having access to them when I want.
That's a good point.
Yep. I really really old love books. Not just to hold and read but to look at as well. The craftsmanship, the type of paper. Lots of trees died for those books. I hate seeing old books thrown away, it's like throwing a forest away. These days though it's all recycled, which is good and of course no book at all.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

You might find this site interesting, and useful, as well.
https://www.globalgreyebooks.com/index.html
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:27 pm You might find this site interesting, and useful, as well.
I'd not seen that before, I quite like it. There's five books on their Most Downloaded Last Week list I've not red and I'm sure the proportion increases if I dig deeper.

and they are:
The Scarlet Letter Nathaniel Hawthorne
A Doll’s House Henrik Ibsen
My Bondage and My Freedom Frederick Douglass
The Yellow Wallpaper Charlotte Perkins Gilman
The Awakening and Selected Short Stories Kate Chopin

No doubt I ought.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:27 pm You might find this site interesting, and useful, as well.
I looked at it. I don't want download stuff though I can't read it off screen. It gives me a headache. I have found a few of those to be good 1st edition books to collect though.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

With the Falling of the Dusk.
A deeply powerful, poetic and compelling book on the challenges facing our world, from one of Australia's most experienced journalists and international commentators, Stan Grant.
History is turning.

In only a few short decades, we have come a long way from Francis Fukuyama's declaration of the 'end of history' and the triumph of liberal democracy in 1989. Now, with the inexorable rise of China, the ascendancy of authoritarianism and the retreat of democracy, the world stands at a moment of crisis. This is a time of momentous upheaval and enormous geopolitical shifts, compounded by the global pandemic, economic collapse and growing inequality, Islamist and far right terror, and a resurgent white supremacy. The world is in lockdown and the showdown with China is accelerating - and while the West has been at the forefront of history for 200 years, it must now adapt to a world it no longer dominates. At this moment, we stand on a precipice - what will become of us?

Stan Grant is one of our foremost observers and chroniclers of the world in crisis. Weaving his personal experiences of reporting from the front lines of the world's flashpoints, together with his deep understanding of politics, history and philosophy, he explores what is driving the world to crisis and how it might be averted. He fears the worst, but begins to chart the way forward. There is bitterness, anger and history here, but there is also the capacity for negotiation, forgiveness and hope. A powerful and incisive analysis of the state of our world, and our place within it.
Should be an interesting read.

Return to “The Library”