So Christmas? anyone bothering?

magentaflame

So Christmas? anyone bothering?

Post by magentaflame »

I was having a discussion with a few people yesterday and one of them raised the issue of putting lights out and celebrating etc. Nobody seemed to be as enthused as usual. I don't think I could give a toss this year either. I seriously don't think I'll even put a tree up.
Is anyone else "into it" this year?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Re: So Christmas? anyone bothering?

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:27 pm I was having a discussion with a few people yesterday and one of them raised the issue of putting lights out and celebrating etc. Nobody seemed to be as enthused as usual. I don't think I could give a toss this year either. I seriously don't think I'll even put a tree up.
Is anyone else "into it" this year?
The Daughter and Mrs would have none of that. They are already starting to string light and sorting through the decorations.
The neighbor across the highway has already got all their outside lights set up. He says the don't turn them on until after Turkey Day, though.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I bought new lights .....looked at them the other day and walked out of the room again. No Ho Ho Ho here ....just Ho hum. I'll be off work for a little while over Christmas maybe boredom will get the better of me and I'll eventually put them up.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I seldom, if ever give much thought to Christmas stuff until December.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

As a gesture of goodwill to all, I have so far avoided saying Humbug this year. I'm sure that will change though.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I really dislike Christmas. Even more so this year, last years little potted tree that I have lovingly kept alive for the past 11 months with the intention of bringing it in again this year for a few days, has been nicked out of my front garden.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Betty Boop wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:58 am I really dislike Christmas. Even more so this year, last years little potted tree that I have lovingly kept alive for the past 11 months with the intention of bringing it in again this year for a few days, has been nicked out of my front garden.
:o ...arsewipes!

I put some lights out . but I'm working eve and morning so christmas will be sleepy bye bye time this year. I even volunteered for a shift on New years eve. .....I'm soooooo boring this year . Plus gave away the sauce, so I don't really feel like watching everyone else get pissed.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

It being December we’ve put the tree up but there’s no enthusiasm.

Youngest is cooking Christmas dinner for us but it will just be the four (and a half) of us rather than the usual ten or twenty of other years.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Daughter has been busy putting up decorations and planning dinner.
It will only be the six of us, but we will have Christmas.
And a lot of telephone calls.
No mere Global Pestilence will dampen her Christmas spirit.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I was having a think at all the people hoping covid would interfere with Christmas this year. Our restrictions have been lifted so anyone hoping they were getting out of hosting it this year will have been sorely disappointed.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Best Christmas Ever. No guests, no pressure no nothing - wonderful.

Children and presents, yes, but that's it. All the bits to make a Christmas Dinner will be here but it won't be Christmas Day if it's down to me to make it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:02 am I was having a think at all the people hoping covid would interfere with Christmas this year. Our restrictions have been lifted so anyone hoping they were getting out of hosting it this year will have been sorely disappointed.
Restrictions or not, we plan to stay stay isolated. But we are carrying on with "Christmassy" stuff
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I have discovered a new thing. There is a comestible I've never heard of before called Pecan Pie, and furthermore it's not a savoury dish, it's sweet. Allegedly.

I shall find one for Christmas.

I had thought a pecan was a nut, but clearly I've been mistaken.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:58 pm I have discovered a new thing. There is a comestible I've never heard of before called Pecan Pie, and furthermore it's not a savoury dish, it's sweet. Allegedly.

I shall find one for Christmas.

I had thought a pecan was a nut, but clearly I've been mistaken.
Well Pecans are in the Tree Nut family.
A Pecan Pie is a wonderous thing.
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/my-fa ... ie-recipe/
That is a passible recipe.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Good lord what on earth is Corn Syrup? I don't think that exists anywhere in Europe, much less England.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:33 am Good lord what on earth is Corn Syrup? I don't think that exists anywhere in Europe, much less England.
I think it's what we call Golden Syrup.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:57 am
spot wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:33 am Good lord what on earth is Corn Syrup? I don't think that exists anywhere in Europe, much less England.
Oh.

Gosh.

I'd need a letter from my mum before I could eat that then.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Not exactly. Corn syrup is made from the starch of American Corn grain.
Golden Syrup is made from Cane Sugar.

Both would work nicely in a Pecan Pie, though. A chef I once worked for, who haled from Pembrokeshire, used Golden Syrup when we made Pecan Pies for the Holidays. They were very well received.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

And it goes on the same plate as a turkey?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Nah, surely Golden Syrup is based on sugar cane rather than corn?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:11 pm And it goes on the same plate as a turkey?
What? Pecan Pie? Heavens, NO!!!
Pecan Pie is a desert dish. After you've put away all the Turkey and Dressing, and Mashed potatoes, Yams, Green Beans and such, and had a moment to gather your wits about you, then you make the Coffee, and break out the Pies. Pumpkin, Peach, and Pecan, and everybody picks their Pie.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:28 pm
Pecan Pie is a desert dish. After you've put away all the Turkey and Dressing, and Mashed potatoes, Yams, Green Beans and such, and had a moment to gather your wits about you, then you make the Coffee, and break out the Pies. Pumpkin, Peach, and Pecan, and everybody picks their Pie.

Mashed Potatoes! Roast potatoes are the only potatoes gracing our plates come Christmas Day. We might stretch to green beans but it's mostly sprouts and cabbage along with around six other varieties of vegetables causing the table to groan.

Pudding is Fruit and alcohol laden Christmas Pudding with pouring cream or custard. Can't stand that part I'll take the pecan pie instead.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:52 am
LarsMac wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:28 pm

Pudding is Fruit and alcohol laden Christmas Pudding with pouring cream or custard. ...
My grandmother used to make pudding and a brandy sauce when I was young. I loved that! Sadly, when Alzheimer's took her, we lost it. I tried to reproduce it a few times with little success.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

WEll............my christmas.....Hmmm.

Christmas eve was a 12 hour night shift. Leave work at 0615 go home to pick my son up then go onto a friends house to sleep and have good merriment ( I had been promised a smorgusbord .

Got home and realised I'd left my phone/wallet at work. My son drives me back to work (an hours drive) to pick it up, then onto the friends house (another hours drive) where I would sleep for a few hours and then join the 'supposed' merriment.

Hmmmm....didn't quite work out that way. Unbeknownst to anyone my friend decided he would rise early have a shower and start on the piss immediately ....didn't show a sign of it until later on, but more about that later.
So I try to sleep, It's no good. Then I remembered I had a couple of coffee bombs about three am because I was falling asleep at the wheel of the patrol car. So I'm wide awake and bouncing off the walls because now I'm full of caffiene and over tired. At this point I know the answer a couple of scotches and I'll be out like a light. It worked, I was asleep for gosh hours!!! Two in fact.
Now....supposedly in this two hour time frame lunch was to be organised. NOPE! My friend kept drinking, Still showed no signs of inebriation. He tells my son to call his mate around because" nobody should be alone on Christmas day. "
Neighbour comes over with a couple of cans to have some 'merriment' . My friend decides to sit down to chat and that's when it happened . Obviously his body decided to relax. Up until this point I'm none the wiser of the alcohol consumption. Then he giggled and repeated himself in conversation. I look over and he has a grin on his face as i tell him he's just repeated himself. "yeah I'm pissed" ...more giggles. The neighbour thinks it's funny and all is merriment and gay.

But...........where's lunch? it's now four in the afternoon and nothing has been attempted. looks like it's now dinner. That's okay .
Then my sons mate rolls up and we have nothing on the table. So.........now i'm taking action. I go into the kitchen open the fridge and managed a meal of sorts. Did two platter type serve ups . Gave them each a fork and told them to dig in.

I was kinda proud of myself actually. But fuming that I'm the one on night shift and having to save the day. (not happy jan) Spent the rest of the evening steadying him as he insisted cleaning up. NOPE again. fell asleep in his armchair all curled up snoring his head off. He had a good christmas day..........I didn't.

geraldine221

Post by geraldine221 »

nice

Return to “ForumGarden Hotel”