The observation and asides thread

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Re: The observation and asides thread

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:53 am I have a couple of observations, from watching the livecams.

A large proportion of the bikers have no helmet on.

I haven't yet seen one african-american biker. I'm sure they exist but they're not visible at this rally.
From Medium: "The Sturgis Motorcycle Rally looks like a superspreader event: A new paper estimates that over 250,000 reported cases from August 2 to September 2 are due to the Sturgis Rally, which is about 19 percent of the national cases during that month."

In a new paper, four researchers detail the Covid-19 impact of the 2020 Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota. During the event in early August, over 460,000 motorcycle riders gathered for 10-day celebration where there was little social distancing and not much mask wearing. A month later the researchers say that they believe the rally was a superspreader event.

“We estimate that over 250,000 of the reported cases between August 2 and September 2 are due to the Sturgis Rally,” one of the study authors, Andrew Friedson, an associate professor of economics at the University of Colorado Denver shared on Twitter. “Roughly 19 percent of the national cases during this timeframe.”

The co-authors estimate that the fallout from the rally could rise to $12 billion in health care costs. You can read the full study here and a write-up, below.

Out of interest, has anyone else here on FG red "How Trump Stole 2020" by Greg Palast?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

i have lost Betty, I don't have a copy of her, it was specially made for me and now it's gone :cry:
spot

Post by spot »

Betty Boop wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:58 pm i have lost Betty, I don't have a copy of her, it was specially made for me and now it's gone :cry:
fixed
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

it is, thank you
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:03 pm it is, thank you
Yay!
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Asked if Johnson had landed in Perugia in the past two weeks, which the Umbrian airport said had happened in a statement, Grant Shapps, the transport minister, told Sky News: “Not that I’m aware of. I think it’s mistaken, as far as I’m aware.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... italy-trip

And that's as cast iron a "yes, indeed he did, certainly" as you could possibly hope to find from a member of the present government. One qualification means Yes, two qualifications means "Indeed he did", I count three in just 14 words.
spot

Post by spot »

The attorney general, Suella Braverman, has come under fire for calling a fellow female MP “emotional” after she questioned her support for the government’s bid to break international law.

The term, often considered a misogynistic trope in an exchange, drew sharp criticism from the shadow justice secretary and several in the legal profession.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... t-bill-row

What nonsense - the last time I remember the word causing merriment in the House of Commons, it meant incapably drunk.
[...] it was popularised when Brown made a televised tribute after President John F Kennedy's assassination while visibly inebriated. A press release the following day described his condition as "tired and emotional" - a form of words adopted by Private Eye and others in their wake.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22470691
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My gramma always told us too much candy was bad for your health.
Man dies from eating bags of licorice
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:41 pm My gramma always told us too much candy was bad for your health.
Well it is a registered poison. Would not have wanted to be near his arse though. but if he loved licorice then he died happy. lol
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

I have trouble understanding the world sometimes.
Lebanon has requested the arrest of the foreign owner and captain of the ship which brought material which blew up at Beirut port causing devastation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-54377408

There are only two involved people in the world who were not responsible for that explosion, the only two people in the world who actively tried, repeatedly, to take the ship away from Beirut, and were stopped repeatedly by the Lebanese, and those two people are the foreign owner and the captain of the ship. And they're being arrested by the Lebanese, instead of being awarded a medal and compensation for trying to get the ship to Madagascar to be safely unloaded?

The proper question is, what corrupt Lebanese official ordered the ship unloaded into the port warehouse? Who was trying to make a tidy little profit for himself on the side?
spot

Post by spot »

Nobody remembers taglines.

I just ran across a tagline file. Nobody has software any longer that automatically inserts a tagline on each post.

I shall improvise.

---
I have an amputee fetish. I'm lack toes intolerant.
spot

Post by spot »

I tell this witout a word of a lie, I'm just a bit stunned that's all.

The UK government has a retraining website suggesting new jobs for redundant workers.

I gave it a spin because I was interrested in what it might ask, I fed it ten minutes worth of accurate opinions on what I thought I liked and disliked, all of it seemed very general.

It told me I could retrain as a nano-technologist.

Why, I hear you ask, is this odd.

Earlier in the year I registered a company, the prime focus of which is the development of nano-tech robotic general purpose fabricators. If anyone would like a look it has a website at at https://mirrorswarm.com/wiki/index.php/Contents#Company

Now, either the government is taking the mick about how much it passes on to its public-fronting AI systems, or there's a lot of improbable serendipity involved in that reply.

I definitely, and quite consciously, didn't give the retraining site a name, email address or location.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:50 pm I tell this witout a word of a lie, I'm just a bit stunned that's all.

The UK government has a retraining website suggesting new jobs for redundant workers.

I gave it a spin because I was interrested in what it might ask, I fed it ten minutes worth of accurate opinions on what I thought I liked and disliked, all of it seemed very general.

Earlier in the year I registered a company, the prime focus of which is the development of nano-tech robotic general purpose fabricators. If anyone would like a look it has a website at at https://mirrorswarm.com/wiki/index.php/Contents#Company

Now, either the government is taking the mick about how much it passes on to its public-fronting AI systems, or there's a lot of improbable serendipity involved in that reply.

I definitely, and quite consciously, didn't give the retraining site a name, email address or location.
That is creepy - and worrying!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:57 am
spot wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:50 pm I tell this witout a word of a lie, I'm just a bit stunned that's all.

That is creepy - and worrying!
Sounds normal to me. Many many times I can't work out how how anyone gets the info they do.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

38% of the money that Ladbrokes’ owner GVC takes in deposits comes from just 1% of its customers.

I wonder what a definition of a problem gambler looks like.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

It pains me that any civilian around the world would be fearful of Australian soldiers.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 pm It pains me that any civilian around the world would be fearful of Australian soldiers.
It probably stems from a convention that what's done abroad stays abroad. Given what undoubtedly happened, being fearful of all of them if they're the occupying power is quite sensible, even if it's just a few rogue units responsible for the outrages.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:54 pm
magentaflame wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:36 pm It pains me that any civilian around the world would be fearful of Australian soldiers.
It probably stems from a convention that what's done abroad stays abroad. Given what undoubtedly happened, being fearful of all of them if they're the occupying power is quite sensible, even if it's just a few rogue units responsible for the outrages.
Unfortunetly it's not like that at all. A few rogue units? that a nonsense. And I don't call cold blooded murder an "outrage"
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:21 pm
spot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:54 pm
Unfortunetly it's not like that at all. A few rogue units? that a nonsense. And I don't call cold blooded murder an "outrage"
Why is cold blooded murder not an "outrage"? It seems a perfectly good word for it to me, whether it's in a war setting or a criminal dispute.

If you end up with 39 dead, and I think that's the number being discussed, then it's not an entire army division or regiment where everyone's at it, it's a few rogue units. The fact that not everyone was murdering the locals doesn't make the situation less bad than it is.

Here's the bit... "The Brereton inquiry uncovered credible evidence of 39 alleged murders of Afghans by 25 Australian special forces soldiers". Elements of the British Army are notorious after similar brushed-off allegations, except ours have been consistent and repetitive wherever we've established an occupation force against resistance irregulars. We even have a phrase for it - it's called "get some in", it's an unofficial recruiting slogan.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

sillies.... I believe it's worse than an outrage.
spot

Post by spot »

Ah. Outrage is the most extreme emotion that I'm aware exists. Perhaps we need a list and compare scores out of ten.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:41 pm My gramma always told us too much candy was bad for your health.
I'm not surprised . Licorice is technically a poison. It would have been a very sloppy death.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

So the super star .... the great.... soccer player has died.
spot

Post by spot »

Football is at best a pastime, it's scarcely a profession.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:22 am Football is at best a pastime, it's scarcely a profession.
If someone pays you for what you do, you have a profession.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:53 am
spot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:22 am Football is at best a pastime, it's scarcely a profession.
Good lord no - that's what we call a trade, not a profession. A profession is "a vocation or career, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification". Tradesmen, if you remember, never use the front door.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

spot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:52 pm
LarsMac wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:53 am
Good lord no - that's what we call a trade, not a profession. A profession is "a vocation or career, especially one that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification". Tradesmen, if you remember, never use the front door.
Oo-er, missuss.
spot

Post by spot »

I understand from this morning's newspapers that the Arcadia Group has succumbed to decades of haemorrhaged assets and finally thrown in the towel.

Sir Les Patterson is 78.

patterson.jpg
patterson.jpg (75.42 KiB) Viewed 2737 times

Gone for a Burton, one might say. Or Dorothy Perkins, Evans, Miss Selfridge, Topshop - it's another a High Street bloodbath.

One wonders how their pension funds look. Still, that's capitalism for you.

I don't actually think I ever bought anything at any of their shops though. I walked into a few branches of Burton occasionally to get out of the rain but it never came close to M&S.

Very uncouth chap, Sir Les.
spot

Post by spot »

I do not remember ever seeing any event reported which is more clearly and blatantly cultural abuse. This is grotesque trivializing. It is even more offensive than the Naked Gail Porter On Big Ben publicity stunt of 1999. It falls short of English Heritage's rock-carved Merlin at Tintagel or demolishing the Buddhas of Bamiyan and the Temple of Baalshamin in Palmyra but it's on the same perditious trajectory.
Stonehenge lights up in tribute to Covid's heritage champions

Images of eight people who carried on working on projects amid the pandemic beamed on to stone circle

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... vid-crisis
spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:45 pm I understand from this morning's newspapers that the Arcadia Group has succumbed to decades of haemorrhaged assets and finally thrown in the towel.

[...] One wonders how their pension funds look. Still, that's capitalism for you.
Sir Philip Green’s family is to pay a promised £50m into their fashion empire’s pension scheme within the next 10 days – almost a year earlier than scheduled – as the business secretary, Alok Sharma, called on the insolvency watchdog to investigate the handling of the failed group.

Sharma has asked the insolvency watchdog to examine whether the conduct of directors at Green’s Arcadia Group, which owns a string of high-street brands including Topshop, Dorothy Perkins and Burton, led to problems for the group’s pension fund.

Arcadia fell into administration on Monday, leaving a pension deficit estimated to be as much as £350m.

Last year, Green’s wife, Tina, who lives in Monaco and is the ultimate owner of Arcadia, pledged to pay an extra £100m into the group’s pension scheme over three years and signed over rights to property worth £210m. The pension scheme also has a claim over a debt owed by Topshop to the main Arcadia Group.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... oup-bosses

The word I have been searching for is "leeches", I think. Why on earth does British law allow these greedy little people to plunder what should be ring-fenced money in the first place. It's Robert Maxwell all over again.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:45 pm I understand from this morning's newspapers that the Arcadia Group has succumbed to decades of haemorrhaged assets and finally thrown in the towel.

Sir Les Patterson is 78.

patterson.jpg

Gone for a Burton, one might say. Or Dorothy Perkins, Evans, Miss Selfridge, Topshop - it's another a High Street bloodbath.

One wonders how their pension funds look. Still, that's capitalism for you.

I don't actually think I ever bought anything at any of their shops though. I walked into a few branches of Burton occasionally to get out of the rain but it never came close to M&S.

Very uncouth chap, Sir Les.
I'm sorry I thought you meant the real Les Patterson. Although they both dress to the right.

spot

Post by spot »

spot wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:58 am
spot wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:13 am
spot wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:20 amTwelve months it's taken them to get round to bringing these two prats into court. Perhaps someone retired and a replacement officer knew how to use the computer.

And the selfish antisocial gits are out in force this weekend again. Same place, same people, same disruption. All the council says is oh soz, we couldn't get an injunction because of the virus. Nonsense, mister councillor, that's as idle inept an excuse as anyone ever came up with.
Steph Ansell, co-organiser of the event, disagrees with Cllr Taylor, arguing the car enthusiast community shouldn’t be “tarnished with the same brush”.

In a joint statement with Herts Car Society’s co-owner, Ty Dell, they said: “What happened last year at the Cruise-Herts meet was completely devastating.

“I witnessed it myself and would never want anything like that happening again. That being said, it was a freak, terrible accident caused by two people out of thousands.”

https://www.thecomet.net/news/stevenage ... -1-6740261

No Steph, it wasn't a freak, terrible accident caused by two people out of thousands. Go and look at the photos of the skid marks in the car park. Every meet you ever had ends up covered in skid marks like those, local residents have to suffer through it time after time, and that's the direct collective fault of the organizers. Do you know why I'm harping on? I have tinnitus and I'm constantly having to cover my ears with my hands when your blasted "car enthusiasts" drive up the main street, foot down, minimal muffling and filthy thousand-watt rap echoing off the shop-fronts. I have no idea why noise emissions aren't a standard part of the MOT, none of you should be on the road in the first place.
And the council has, finally, reacted.
The future of car cruises in Stevenage will be decided at High Court later this month, as the council has applied for an injunction that would ban car cruising in the town.

Although certain hotspots have been used for car meets in the past, including Roaring Meg car park, Fairlands Valley and Monkswood Way, the injunction will seek to ban car meets in the entire district of Stevenage.

Steph Ansell, co-founder of Herts Car Society, believes this is another example of the car enthusiast community being “tarnished with the same brush”.
And not before time either.

When was the last time the Herts Car Society had an event and didn't leave skid marks at the venue? Try to be honest, Steph. Your idealized picture of an event is not reality and you know it.
The interim injunction now has a two year extension. That's a start.
The future of illegal “car cruising” in Stevenage has taken a further hit, as a court extended its ban in the town for at least two more years.

Following a hearing on Monday, December 7, Luton County Court made the decision to extend the injunction against participating in a car cruise – namely to be a driver or passenger in a motor vehicle.

https://www.thecomet.net/news/luton-cou ... -1-6956877
spot

Post by spot »

This might bring a smile.

magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:20 am This might bring a smile.

Now THAT was marvelous .....
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Definitely fun :-)
spot

Post by spot »

News outlets seem remarkably resistant to saying the Nashville bomber of AT&T's network infrastructure was a 5G conspiracy activist intent on saving America from the baleful health effects of the rays. I'd quite like to see his fellow hobbyists in court for building and amplifying the lie he acted on. QAnon is not making the world a better place at all. If America insists on creating their "War On Terror" they could at least add QAnon activists, promoters and organizers to their wanted list. At the moment there's one footsoldier down and a thousand fellow travellers wondering what they too can do for their country.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The 20s are going to be an exciting decade, I think.
I am happy to be on the downward slide.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:05 am News outlets seem remarkably resistant to saying the Nashville bomber of AT&T's network infrastructure was a 5G conspiracy activist intent on saving America from the baleful health effects of the rays. I'd quite like to see his fellow hobbyists in court for building and amplifying the lie he acted on. QAnon is not making the world a better place at all. If America insists on creating their "War On Terror" they could at least add QAnon activists, promoters and organizers to their wanted list. At the moment there's one footsoldier down and a thousand fellow travellers wondering what they too can do for their country.
they're called 'Issue Motivated Groups' here..... IMG's . Well, until they blow things up.
spot

Post by spot »

Am I alone in wondering how ******* ******** failed to get a peerage in the New Year's Honours List, when Peter Mandelson managed one in similar circumstances?

Blast - I must take Mr Cummings out of the profanity filter.
spot

Post by spot »

This is the fourth year in a row that a Boeing 737 crash has killed all on board and it's still only January.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

People are to blame for not following the rules.

Or

The majority are following the rules.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Just put ka four burner hooded BBQ together. ...........why don't these things come already assembled
cars

Post by cars »

magentaflame wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:17 pm Just put ka four burner hooded BBQ together. ...........why don't these things come already assembled
We have stores here in USA that compete against each other by offering BBQ's completely assembled. I always put my BBQ's together myself, as I liked doing it.
However, now that I'm getting older, I opted to buy my latest BBQ, where they completely assembled it for me, and delivered it too! Way easier! :)
Cars :)
spot

Post by spot »

BBC radio rebroadcast the I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again Christmas Special from 1968 this week.

The team were very good on sound effects. I'll let you imagine the one which followed "A breathless hush descends as the spotlight falls on the conductor".

And I quite like https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsaGKq ... N80hcHySGQ too.

For some reason I'm remembering when a ton and a half of horse manure was left by the door while I was at work when I lived in London, and I was not first home that evening, and I'd forgotten to tell her I'd ordered it. That only happened once. My observation that it had been cheap did not save the day.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:58 pm BBC radio rebroadcast the I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again Christmas Special from 1968 this week.

The team were very good on sound effects. I'll let you imagine the one which followed "A breathless hush descends as the spotlight falls on the conductor".

For some reason I'm remembering when a ton and a half of horse manure was left by the door while I was at work when I lived in London, and I was not first home that evening, and I'd forgotten to tell her I'd ordered it. That only happened once. My observation that it had been cheap did not save the day.
It would have been taking it through the house to get to the garden that did it :-)
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:43 pm
spot wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:58 pm BBC radio rebroadcast the I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again Christmas Special from 1968 this week.

It would have been taking it through the house to get to the garden that did it :-)
I remember every hundredweight bag.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Im finding it more and more fascinating when people treat me unkindly, weirdly or officially that im simply not offended anymore. Im beginning to study them. I seem to be over the offence and more interested in their behaviour.....i wonder if its my own aging that has me doing that now.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm Im finding it more and more fascinating when people treat me unkindly, weirdly or officially that im simply not offended anymore. Im beginning to study them. I seem to be over the offence and more interested in their behaviour.....i wonder if its my own aging that has me doing that now.
Why should anyone want to treat you unkindly or weirdly? Officially I can see, there have always been little hitlers anxious to throw their weight around.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Well i have three more hours until my last shift as a guard at the RAAF base. Finally i can publically state where ive been working. Feels good. Now off to another government department. Office! Air con!....yay! Lol
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:13 am
magentaflame wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:01 pm Im finding it more and more fascinating when people treat me unkindly, weirdly or officially that im simply not offended anymore. Im beginning to study them. I seem to be over the offence and more interested in their behaviour.....i wonder if its my own aging that has me doing that now.
Why should anyone want to treat you unkindly or weirdly? Officially I can see, there have always been little hitlers anxious to throw their weight around.
It could be the covid year we've had, but I have crap all around me lately. To the point that I'll be moving address in the next few months.
Living peacefully and quietly then the new neighbours happened. Work was fine, then stresses began in colleagues lives (that's the excuse I'm giving them) Toxicity abounded. Friends suddenly acting out and weird.

I'm just going to shrug and walk away. :?

Return to “General Chit Chat”