raspberry pi

gmc

raspberry pi

Post by gmc »

raspberry pi anyone tried it? Hadn't heard of it until recently.
spot

raspberry pi

Post by spot »

I've been sat at one for most of the day, it's a wonderful device. I was watching YouTube tutorials on it at one point.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

raspberry pi

Post by gmc »

I've decided I'm going to get myself one.
Saint_

raspberry pi

Post by Saint_ »

It's delicious.
LarsMac

raspberry pi

Post by LarsMac »

I've seen them mentioned a number of times.

What is it they are good for?
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

raspberry pi

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1522527 wrote: I've seen them mentioned a number of times.

Computation.

It fits all sorts of useability tests. From memory it has...

4-core 1.4GHz Arm processor

1GB RAM

Micro-SD slot for your own choice of operating system and storage. I tend to put 32GB but it will take, say, 256GB. I usually add 100MB/s storage and allow a 10GB swap.

Built-in WiFi and Bluetooth

4xUSB2 slots for wired mouse, keyboard etc (but it can run headless or with bluetooth mouse and keyboard)

300 Mbps max Gigabit Ethernet

a 5V 2.5A power socket so it averages maybe 5-8 Watts like a LED lightbulb. You can choose to heatsink the processor but it's thermally protected if you don't.

40xGPIO pins, a camera and sound connector, HDMI output socket

and $35 at the counter. I run one as a headless file server in the back of a drawer, the only cable is the power cord and it stays on permanently and runs Debian. I'd pay $6 a month for the same thing as a virtual machine in a cloud (1GB/50GB) but that would have far slower data transfer rates to my property with ten times the cost over five years.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

raspberry pi

Post by gmc »

LarsMac;1522527 wrote: I've seen them mentioned a number of times.

It's just a mini computer (it's the size of a booklet) without an operating system intended to help people get in to programming with little outlay. you can opt for one of the linux distributions to come with it (in the UK anyway) or download off the internet. Comes without any peripherals or even a case although you can buy one for a fiver. You can learn how to ptogramme on it something you can't do on a microsoft or apple computer.

In short you are not paying for an operating sstem with umpteen features you don't really need (imo) or massive memory that you don't use - I use external hard drives I resent having to pay for a terrabit of built in memory. I back everything up havng thrice lost a computer once to a virus, once to a catastrophic hardware failure and once to a fire (cooling fan failed on the video card and the motherboard got melted in the ensuing fire). The really expensive bit on a computer is the software and that is usually what goes wrong and what ties you to the like of microsoft or apple and and never ending upgrades and cost. I would like to be able to fix themselves myself I pay for technical help from the place I bought the thing and they're actually pretty good my last computer cost the better part of £500 is five years old and in my experience they seem to just stop working one day so I'm looking at replacing it soon. If i can get my head round this I might look at building my own desktop. Not really interested in too much exotica so long as i can go online ansd get my printer etc working that will be fine for me. I tend to lose interest in computers once I have got it doing what I want it to do.

Haven't really tried it yet as I forgot to order the power source and didnlt have one that would do. Off to Rome next week, fair to say my mind isn't really on it just now.

British and american ones seem to differ slightly but this will give you an idea of what they are.

She's american I think
spot

raspberry pi

Post by spot »

That was the bit I forgot, well done. Size of a credit card.
spot

raspberry pi

Post by spot »

Oh - and, not least but majorly,

Full version of the Wolfram Language and Mathematica, including support for notebooks and dynamic constructs like Manipulate and Animate. Additionally includes new Device API to connect to serial devices and the on-board GPIO and RaspiCam.

https://www.wolfram.com/raspberry-pi/

That's several hundred dollars worth of genuine student-licensed commercial software pre-installed on the official OS iso. It's an astonishing thing to have achieved. There's a pretty drag-and-drop language there too called Scratch.
spot

raspberry pi

Post by spot »

For completeness, I would mention the Pi Zero https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2017/ ... pi-zero-w/

Weighing in at 9g, using under 1W, I have one running as a development server somewhere.

What can you fit in a machine with 512MB memory?

root@study:/home/john# uname -a

Linux study 4.14.98+ #1200 Tue Feb 12 20:11:02 GMT 2019 armv6l GNU/Linux

root@study:/home/john# free

total used free shared buff/cache available

Mem: 443840 101396 72312 11408 270132 279256

Swap: 1150968 0 1150968

root@study:/home/john# service --status-all

[ - ] alsa-utils

[ + ] apache-htcacheclean

[ + ] apache2

[ + ] avahi-daemon

[ + ] bluetooth

[ - ] console-setup.sh

[ + ] cron

[ + ] cups

[ + ] cups-browsed

[ + ] dbus

[ + ] dhcpcd

[ + ] dphys-swapfile

[ + ] fail2ban

[ + ] fake-hwclock

[ - ] hwclock.sh

[ - ] keyboard-setup.sh

[ + ] kmod

[ - ] lightdm

[ + ] mysql

[ + ] networking

[ - ] nfs-common

[ + ] nmbd

[ - ] paxctld

[ - ] plymouth

[ - ] plymouth-log

[ + ] procps

[ + ] raspi-config

[ - ] rpcbind

[ - ] rsync

[ + ] rsyslog

[ + ] samba

[ - ] samba-ad-dc

[ - ] saned

[ + ] smbd

[ + ] ssh

[ - ] sudo

[ + ] triggerhappy

[ + ] udev

[ + ] ufw

[ - ] x11-common

root@study:/home/john#

That's 25% memory used, 75% still free.

Note the Samba server, mysql and apache2 all up and running.

$10 plus a micro-SD card and USB power lead.

And it has built-in WiFi.
spot

raspberry pi

Post by spot »

This is the same Pi Zero a year later, currently running headless as Jowan's onsite Internet webserver and backup storage.

john@pi-zero:~ $ uname -a

Linux pi-zero 4.19.42+ #1219 Tue May 14 21:16:38 BST 2019 armv6l GNU/Linux

john@pi-zero:~ $ uptime

08:52:31 up 192 days, 20:49, 1 user, load average: 3.17, 1.98, 1.24

john@pi-zero:~ $ free

total used free shared buff/cache available

Mem: 443140 50916 51716 30332 340508 306724

Swap: 1150968 68608 1082360

john@pi-zero:~ $ service apache2 status

● apache2.service - The Apache HTTP Server

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apache2.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)

Active: active (running) since Mon 2019-11-04 09:55:37 UTC; 3 months 7 days ago

john@pi-zero:~ $ sudo apt upgrade

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Calculating upgrade... Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

john@pi-zero:~ $ df -Th

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

/dev/root ext4 15G 7.0G 6.6G 52% /

devtmpfs devtmpfs 213M 0 213M 0% /dev

tmpfs tmpfs 217M 0 217M 0% /dev/shm

tmpfs tmpfs 217M 23M 195M 11% /run

tmpfs tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock

tmpfs tmpfs 217M 0 217M 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

/dev/mmcblk0p1 vfat 43M 23M 21M 53% /boot

tmpfs tmpfs 44M 0 44M 0% /run/user/1002

john@pi-zero:~ $

spot

Re: raspberry pi

Post by spot »

It's been running since the previous post though it did reboot when the kernel updated.

If anyone[1] would like a look, https://jowanworth.com/cgi-bin/pr1.py is this week's school homework. Pick a start number, pick a range size, guess how long it will take and then engage. Printing to the screen is optional.

[1]: especially the one in Crete.

https://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0310148
Bryn Mawr

Re: raspberry pi

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:37 pm It's been running since the previous post though it did reboot when the kernel updated.

If anyone[1] would like a look, https://jowanworth.com/cgi-bin/pr1.py is this week's school homework. Pick a start number, pick a range size, guess grow long it will take and then engage. Printing to the screen is optional.

[1]: especially the one in Crete.
OK, I’ll look tomorrow - it’s getting late :-)

Return to “Computers Internet”