A couple of Netflix shows I've recently enjoyed

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

She's Gotta Have it was a Spike Lee movie back in the 80s that he's made into a series. It's terrific. I recall watching the movie when it was new. I've always enjoyed Spike's work - I think I've seen all of it.

The other show is also a series named Dear White People, a smartly written, directed and performed show.

I highly recommend both.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thanks for the recommendations. I am currently hooked on 'Grace & Frankie'. Also, I missed the first year of American Horror Story so I want to see that.

On Amazon Prime, 'Dunkirk' has been released. Anxious to see that one.
Baylee

Post by Baylee »

I really enjoyed watching Lost in Space and Girlboss!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The only reason I watched the original Lost in Space series was because I had a crush on Angela Cartwright.

Without her, I am not sure it is worth watching, again.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1518760 wrote: The only reason I watched the original Lost in Space series was because I had a crush on Angela Cartwright.

Without her, I am not sure it is worth watching, again.

I just didn't care for the original so never watched much. I am watching the Netflix version and it is very different and entertaining.

Angela Cartwright?

You are a man with discriminating taste.:guitarist
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Re: A couple of Netflix shows I've recently enjoyed

Post by LarsMac »

Time to revisit this thread

We've been watching several series of late.

Hinterland, A cop series set in Wales
The Republic of Doyle, A strange one about a father and son Private investigator team in St Johns, Newfoundland
Rake, an Australian series about a somewhat scatterbrained, self-destructive defense lawyer.
and Broadchurch, a rather dark series about a murder in a coastal town

Thing I like about a lot of the non-American series is that there is not such a fascination with gun play. Most of the American offerings of today are far too reliant on guns. They are EVERYWHERE.
I miss Columbo. Not only did Columbo not depend on guns, he actually hated to carry one.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I expect Hinterland had subtitles then. But yes, it was very bleak. I think the Welsh had watched a lot of those Scandinavian series to get in the mood.

Broadchurch is very famous for having introduced Olivia Coleman to an undeserving world. David Tennant was already well beyond that stage, but she was sparkly-new.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 am I expect Hinterland had subtitles then. But yes, it was very bleak. I think the Welsh had watched a lot of those Scandinavian series to get in the mood.
The conversations are in English. Though some of the background conversation are in local tongue.
And the signage, as expected is bilingual.
Thanks to Chef Alun Roberts, for whom I apprenticed many year back, I actually retained some grasp of the language. Hardly enough to make conversation, but I can make sense of the some of the signs and such.
spot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:47 am Broadchurch is very famous for having introduced Olivia Coleman to an undeserving world. David Tennant was already well beyond that stage, but she was sparkly-new.
Coleman is quite amazing in that role.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I am curious.
Having been watching a number of Brit crime dramas over the years, Since the late 90s, into much of the 21st Century, many of the cops, Wallander, The Midsummer Murders guys, and several others all seem to be driving Volvos.
What's that about?
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Wallander might look like Kenneth Branagh but it's set in Sweden where the Volvo herds breed. The Midsomer Murders are set in Somerset where all the rich farmers have a Volvo as their second weekend car for the wife. Nobody in England has ever bought a Dodge or a Cadillac except enthusiasts, and they're as likely to buy a Sherman or a Panzer these days and drive round in army surplus. I blame the Internet. It never happened before the Soviet Union was turned into a Mafia franchise under Yeltsin.

Back when cops and robbers were more of a staple than cerebral depressed detectives, the crooks drove Jaguars and the police had Ford Cortinas. The Ford plant in Dagenham used to supply them cheap, for the TV exposure. They had stock phrases like "watch out guv'nor, he's got a shooter", but they don't make TV like that any more.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:04 pm Wallander might look like Kenneth Branagh but it's set in Sweden where the Volvo herds breed. The Midsomer Murders are set in Somerset where all the rich farmers have a Volvo as their second weekend car for the wife. Nobody in England has ever bought a Dodge or a Cadillac except enthusiasts, and they're as likely to buy a Sherman or a Panzer these days and drive round in army surplus. I blame the Internet. It never happened before the Soviet Union was turned into a Mafia franchise under Yeltsin.

Back when cops and robbers were more of a staple than cerebral depressed detectives, the crooks drove Jaguars and the police had Ford Cortinas. The Ford plant in Dagenham used to supply them cheap, for the TV exposure. They had stock phrases like "watch out guv'nor, he's got a shooter", but they don't make TV like that any more.
Ah, yes, I did kinda ovelook the Wallander part.

The first time I was in the UK, my rental was a Vauxhall, I think.
Seemed like a decent car.
I was there later right around the time Ford bought Jaguar. And later saw many shiny Jags which had the look of a Taurus with a bit fancier chrome.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I've been meaning to ask - did your snow go away?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:15 pm I've been meaning to ask - did your snow go away?
Yes, it did.
It never lasts very long around here. It was gone by mid-afternoon.
Come February, it might stick around a day or two.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The series "Rake" from Australia has been the latest binge-watch.
This guy Cleaver Greene is a certifiable nut case.
The insights into Aussie politics is very, er, um, enlightening.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:49 pm The series "Rake" from Australia has been the latest binge-watch.
It's very funny . But what's scary is that character is an actual person. Who is still practicing law, and currently works for a newspaper. Charles Waterstreet is your man.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rake_(Aus ... TV_series)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:24 pm
LarsMac wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:49 pm The series "Rake" from Australia has been the latest binge-watch.
It's very funny . But what's scary is that character is an actual person. Who is still practicing law, and currently works for a newspaper. Charles Waterstreet is your man.

NO!?!
We spent half the time just waiting for him to get his comeuppance. I was telling the Mrs, "Watch. The bas***** gonna end up PM, or something.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

LarsMac wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:26 pm

NO!?!
We spent half the time just waiting for him to get his comeuppance. I was telling the Mrs, "Watch. The bas***** gonna end up PM, or something.
You'll love his books then.... If you can't get them yourself I'm happy to send them to you. ' Precious bodily fluids; A larrikins memoirs' 1998 and 'Repeating the Leaving; An unauthorised memoir 2001' Rake Man was 2013.

https://www.google.com.au/books/edition ... frontcover
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:49 pm This guy Cleaver Greene is a certifiable nut case.
That was hilarious. I have watched it and it just looks so relatable on what's happening around in the political horizon for us.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:02 pm
LarsMac wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:26 pm

NO!?!
You'll love his books then.... If you can't get them yourself I'm happy to send them to you. ' Precious bodily fluids; A larrikins memoirs' 1998 and 'Repeating the Leaving; An unauthorised memoir 2001' Rake Man was 2013.

https://www.google.com.au/books/edition ... frontcover
Found them on Amazon
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

The most horrifying lies told to us. I'm becoming vegetarian. I can't give up dairy but I'm certainly giving up all meat . It's cheaper too.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

More proof?
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:05 pm

The most horrifying lies told to us. I'm becoming vegetarian. I can't give up dairy but I'm certainly giving up all meat . It's cheaper too.
That's about fishing ? You're giving up meat based on a film about factory fishing?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Nope, I'm giving up meat and fish because I don't want to be poisoned and conned anymore. And it's not about factory fishing that's only a small part of the documentary.

Watch game changers, I want to be healthy.

Return to “General TV Shows”