Finally, We’ve Made It

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Bryn Mawr

Finally, We’ve Made It

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Having had our flights on hold since April we have finally made it back to Crete - only to find the whilst we were in the air Crete was declared a quarantine area :-)

Not a problem, the prefecture we’re in, Lasithi, is Covid clear and the quarantine list will be totally different by the time we go back to the UK.
LarsMac

Re: Finally, We’ve Made It

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:38 am Having had our flights on hold since April we have finally made it back to Crete - only to find the whilst we were in the air Crete was declared a quarantine area :-)

Not a problem, the prefecture we’re in, Lasithi, is Covid clear and the quarantine list will be totally different by the time we go back to the UK.
I would think that being quarantined on Crete would be favorable to many other locations I can think of.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

Well done. I expect you need an early night.

Out of interest, does Crete have any refugee provision?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:46 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:38 am Having had our flights on hold since April we have finally made it back to Crete - only to find the whilst we were in the air Crete was declared a quarantine area :-)

I would think that being quarantined on Crete would be favorable to many other locations I can think of.
Especially as our new grandson is coming out for the last two weeks of our stay with his mum, we could all stay out here in the sun :D
spot

Post by spot »

It's like getting across the Berlin Wall by the sound of it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 am

Especially as our new grandson is coming out for the last two weeks of our stay with his mum, we could all stay out here in the sun :D

When are your last two weeks? Not this side of Christmas I hope.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:01 pm
Bryn Mawr wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:23 am

When are your last two weeks? Not this side of Christmas I hope.
Sadly the end of October, I’d be happier with another month or so but family calls :-)
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:58 pm Sadly the end of October, I’d be happier with another month or so but family calls :-)
I'm family. The best you can say is that family is divided on the issue.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:56 am
Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:58 pm Sadly the end of October, I’d be happier with another month or so but family calls :-)
I'm family. The best you can say is that family is divided on the issue.
I’ll put it to the vote then :lol:
spot

Post by spot »

After pounding parts of western and central Greece meteorologists have predicted a rare Mediterranean hurricane-like storm, or medicane, is headed south towards the island of Crete.
You can post a photo.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:08 am
After pounding parts of western and central Greece meteorologists have predicted a rare Mediterranean hurricane-like storm, or medicane, is headed south towards the island of Crete.
You can post a photo.
Kefalonica was badly hit by flooding but the worst of the storm is passing to the south of Crete. We had rain last night and have had a few spots today but nothing worrying.

On the other hand we has a 5.9 magnitude earthquake yesterday and another earthquake this morning so it’s all rock and roll here :-)
spot

Post by spot »

If you get local reports of four horsemen seen on the island, you could look at your watch and tell them they're late.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I think I shall watch this thread. It will be interesting as to whether you get back or not. Floods? earthquakes? Yell out if you see frogs or locusts

Spot.....pestilence, war and what are the other two? starvation and death? I can't remember my revelations.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:31 pm I think I shall watch this thread. It will be interesting as to whether you get back or not. Floods? earthquakes? Yell out if you see frogs or locusts

Spot.....pestilence, war and what are the other two? starvation and death? I can't remember my revelations.
We get two species of frog, the round ones and the flat ones. The round ones are quite active but you rarely see them, the flat ones are sessile and live on the roads.
spot

Post by spot »

magentaflame wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:31 pmSpot.....pestilence, war and what are the other two? starvation and death? I can't remember my revelations.
I have a suspicion John the Revelator harked back to the sequence of disasters Moses delivered to Pharaoh: Blood, unclean animals leading to famine, plague and finally the overshadowing death among all but the chosen. It's hard to get away from that underlying pattern.

On the other hand, the one usually called Famine is in fact described exactly by the Revelator as governmental price-fixing of essentials, with a proviso that luxury goods are exempt from tax or restriction. Really. And the first of the horsemen is explicitly described as government initiating an unjust war ("conquest"). The third horseman is the military, the wielder of the sword, and the final horseman is Death with Hell in his wake ("Shock and Awe" in modern parlance). They add up to three aspects of morally defective government and one personified consequence.

But perhaps we should leave off discussing American foreign policy and return the thread to contemplating Crete.

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:11 am Kefalonica was badly hit by flooding but the worst of the storm is passing to the south of Crete. We had rain last night and have had a few spots today but nothing worrying.
The radio news this morning sounded like France is under water. Or parts of it. And Venice finally deployed its emergency storm defences today.

Did your earthquakes clear up? Do you have an aircraft carrier on the horizon?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:32 am
But perhaps we should leave off discussing American foreign policy and return the thread to contemplating Crete.

Bryn Mawr wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:11 am Kefalonica was badly hit by flooding but the worst of the storm is passing to the south of Crete. We had rain last night and have had a few spots today but nothing worrying.
The radio news this morning sounded like France is under water. Or parts of it. And Venice finally deployed its emergency storm defences today.

Did your earthquakes clear up? Do you have an aircraft carrier on the horizon?
No earthquakes recently, just a balmy southern wind carrying sand from the Sahara.

The last aircraft carrier I recall in the Libyan Sea was involved in the raid that killed Gadaffi’s kids!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:23 am If you get local reports of four horsemen seen on the island, you could look at your watch and tell them they're late.
Funny you should mention it but four horses have just galloped past the house and onto the main road headed out of town. I spotted one black, one grey - what colours were the other two meant to be?
spot

Post by spot »

White, Red, Black and Pale. What you saw is normally referred to as a Portent. Stay indoors and take cover beneath the kitchen table.

Q: When will it be - when will it be?
A: Peter Cook: In about thirty seconds time, according to the ancient pyramidic scrolls and my Ingersoll watch.

or...

BARMAN:
Well isn’t there anything we can do?

FORD PREFECT:
No, nothing.

BARMAN:
Well I always thought we were meant to lie down and put a paper bag over our head or something.

FORD PREFECT:
If you’d like, yes.

BARMAN:
Well will that help?

FORD PREFECT:
No.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Interesting night last night and the Earth certainly moved for us, we had four earthquakes, 4.2, 5.1, 4.1 and 5.2, all about 50 miles north of us.

There were two together at 03:30 and another two together at 07:15 that felt as though they lasted a lot longer and shook more violently :-

https://earthquaketrack.com/gr-esye43-sitia/recent
spot

Post by spot »

We're all sat round attentively, you could tell us the story of Thera before the next rumble.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:28 am We're all sat round attentively, you could tell us the story of Thera before the next rumble.
I might have helped to build the pyramids but even I don’t remember Thera going up.

Mind you, there is a good description in the Bible and you can still find marine shells a thousand feet up on the plateau behind our apartment from the resulting tsunami.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Good grief Bryn. Have you packed the good China saucers away?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:00 pm Good grief Bryn. Have you packed the good China saucers away?
Only the flying ones :-)

The buildings are designed to withstand quakes, they rock and they roll but I’ve yet to see one fall down.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

good to hear. :D

Return to “Travel Vacation”