New software, June 2020

Read about the latest happenings at ForumGarden.com.
spot

New software, June 2020

Post by spot »

BY WEDNESDAY I might have found a reliable way of sending email to big players like gmail, msn, outlook, hotmail and so on. At the moment their mail servers are refusing to accept that forumgarden is respectable, since we just moved host and we look new and shifty.

WHEN we have that sorted, and it only today became an issue, everyone who can enter an email address to "I have forgotten my password" will get a password reset link for their account. If you try it and don't get the reset email immediately, wait until Wednesday and try again.

ALL POSTS from the last couple of weeks are currently not yet added to the database and it's something I'll do when the hectic stuff dies down. Just at the moment it's on my to-do list. All the earler posts back to 2004 ought to be where they always have been. I don't think I've lost any user accounts but the old site did not hold your passwords so I couldn't bring them to this version. That's why you have to do a password reset for your email address.

IF the system has an old email address for you and you can't get back that far, use the contact form and we'll update your user record with a new email address. I think I'll ask you to phone me, otherwise anyone could ask for your account. I don't want to give any accounts to a faker.

WHEN you can log in again it would help me keep track of who's still lost if you post something.

SIGNATURES didn't transfer very cleanly, they've become very spaced out. Anyone keen on housekeeping could reformat their .sig - I set a 1000 character limit but I'm open to advice as always.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Re: New software, June 2020

Post by spot »

EMAILS sent from forumgarden.com since the move to the new host are not being delivered, because we haven't found out how to look trustworthy yet.

Emails sent to forumgarden are all getting here thank you. Send them to admin@forumgarden.com and they pop up on my laptop and I can reply and those replies get through.

The automated emails might be working by tomorrow, at least I hope so. Until they're working, the "forgotten password" emails are not going out so nobody can log in. If you email me I'll set a temporary password by hand.

If I knew more about email it would be less of a problem.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Despite the shady looking email, everything worked fine and even my avatar photo followed me over.

Well done, Spotasaurus.
spot

Post by spot »

You're very kind. Getting those emails to work was horrific.

I need to send out the rest, we've only done a small test so far.

If you feel like rewording it, now's the time to post the alternative.
spot

Post by spot »

I've put brute force attack protection onto the server for apache scripts, ssh and ddos with as a guide. I'm adding it to the thread in case I need to get back there.
spot

Post by spot »

Here's some push-button controls for your browser bookmarks / favorites / toolbar / tablet icon garden to make navigating the new software a lot smoother

https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/sear ... ive_topics shows you the active topics in descending time order

https://forumgarden.com/forums/viewonline.php might show you who's online at the moment or you might prefer https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/memb ... searchuser

https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/sear ... nreadposts shows you the posts you haven't opened yet

If you drag the links to your toolbar they'll be lined up there to click for years when you haul yourself out of bed and start on your first coffee of the day.
spot

Post by spot »

In case you've not noticed, the old system never knew your password. Every time you entered it, the login routine compared an encryption of what you typed to the encryption stored on the database before it allowed you in. The encryption wasn't reversible and the new software uses a different process, so we were scuppered for that bit of data. Under where it lets you type a password is a link saying "forgot password", click and it will email you a reset link.

For a couple of days that link email was failing to arrive, because my outgoing email service looked like we were spamming. We apologize for the service disruption..

If anyone is still stuck getting a password reset, to get a working login on this new software, please email me direct on the admin account at the site's domain. I'd post the explicit email address but the harvesters would spam it to the eyeballs if I did, just glue the components back together and it will reach my laptop.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:47 am Here's some push-button controls for your browser bookmarks / favorites / toolbar / tablet icon garden to make navigating the new software a lot smoother

https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/sear ... ive_topics shows you the active topics in descending time order

https://forumgarden.com/forums/viewonline.php might show you who's online at the moment or you might prefer https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/memb ... searchuser

https://www.forumgarden.com/forums/sear ... nreadposts shows you the posts you haven't opened yet

If you drag the links to your toolbar they'll be lined up there to click for years when you haul yourself out of bed and start on your first coffee of the day.
If you click on the three horizontal lines in the top left hand corner these links are in the drop down menu.
ladyinthemists

Post by ladyinthemists »

I just re-set my password so I guess I'm good to go.....
spot

Post by spot »

I'm glad it's finally working then, it's been a major headache. Welcome back.
spot

Post by spot »

Another slight hiccup. Registrations of new users is hitting an "internal system error" on an intermediary mail service we're temporarily using. This is stopping new registrations, I expect it to be mended by tomorrow and I don't much mind.

It is not affecting password resets, to the best of my knowledge.

All we're waiting for is a server reboot but it's a Californian lockdown weekend, apparently.

Return to “News and Announcements”