Not with a Bang, but with a Sneeze?

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1531944 wrote: I'll be interested, if I'm spared, to see the eventual statistics breaking down US and UK fatalities by ethnicity. The UK will definitely produce that as a matter of course, I might have a struggle to find an equivalent US source but I'll look. It's started to crop up in occasional news articles. I'm wondering whether it's a poverty issue.

There seems to be a consensus that the US and UK outbreaks will each peak in ten days, I have no idea why that's not twenty. We'll have to see.

I suspect it will prove to be more of an economic factor than ethnic, but in many cities, the two can be tied closely together.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ronavirus/
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1531948 wrote: I suspect it will prove to be more of an economic factor than ethnic, but in many cities, the two can be tied closely together.

In many cities I can't see how anyone could separate them.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Post by spot »

spot;1531875 wrote: If the trend holds for the next five days it might be an indication that the transmission rate has been affected. I can't distinguish between a weather effect and self-isolation. I don't think the single five-day drop is enough to predict from but it's encouraging. If the trend turns out to be there as a lower gradient then it's deferred the 40 millionth case by two weeks, from the first week of May to the third.

We've now had another five days and yes, the reduction in the rate of increase of worldwide confirmed cases is real. It started on March 29th, we now have ten days at the new lower steady rate of increase. It's still an exponential increase but it's closer to levelling into an arithmetic increase. The worldwide figure has now settled into doubling once every eight days instead of once every four days. The graph still shows the slow-down has "deferred the 40 millionth case by two weeks, from the first week of May to the third".

What I've not yet looked at is the national progression in just the UK and US. The lockdown and/or the spring weather might show up there too by now.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The States will hit (or may have at the time of this post) 400K in confirmed cases. Damned near a third of the total confirmed.

in some states, we can see that the "stay at home" policy is slowing down the rate of increase. Other states are just getting started.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

It's already showing signs of being far higher in the Ethnic Communities - most likely because their culture makes the more inclined to mingling with other. Larger families, with those families being more widespread.

I would be more interested to see the breakdown by Religion & those who take an active part in attending their preferred places of Worship.
spot

Post by spot »

FourPart;1531971 wrote: I would be more interested to see the breakdown by Religion & those who take an active part in attending their preferred places of Worship.

That may be an influence in the US, but meetings in churches for any reason at all have been illegal in England for some weeks now, just like pubs and cinemas.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

One county in Colorado began a test of the new COVID-19 Testing method and were attempting to get everyone in the county tested.

San Miguel County suspends community-wide coronavirus testing

San Miguel County suspends community-wide coronavirus testing after delays in processing samples.

Company the county is working with is facing staffing issues and compromised supplies amid pandemic.

Local health officials in San Miguel County on Tuesday announced that they have halted testing residents for the new coronavirus via blood tests after the company they were working with reported “unexpected delays” in processing initial samples from residents.

The announcement comes less than a month after the Telluride-based San Miguel County Department of Public Health and Environment became the first agency in the state to partner with a company to use blood tests to check every resident of the southwestern Colorado county for the virus.

The agency is partnering with United Biomedical Inc.

“We will continue to evaluate whether or not it makes sense to pursue the second round of testing given the unexpected obstacles UBI’s lab is facing,” San Miguel County Public Health Director Grace Franklin said in a statement.

Almost 6,000 San Miguel County residents, most of the community, participated in the first round of testing. But only about 1,600 of those tests have been processed, according to a news release.

The reasons for the delays are because United Biomedical’s staff is “down 40%” and supplies needed to run the tests, including personal protection equipment, are compromised, county officials said The delays could continue as the company’s lab is in New York, which has become a national hotspot for the coronavirus pandemic. This means the results could be weeks late, according to the news release.

United Biomedical released a statement Tuesday night denying its lab was compromised, saying the company was “constantly working around the clock to process results from our friends and neighbors in San Miguel County.”

“We continue to be humbled by the groundswell of support from the residents of San Miguel County and our partnership with San Miguel County officials to help our community,” the company said.

San Miguel County’s health department declined two interview requests from The Denver Post.

“We are communicating regularly and making our public health officials available to our local media to help keep our county residents informed,” county spokeswoman Susan Lilly said in an email. “We are (temporarily) declining outside media requests to focus on the COVID-19 pandemic.”

San Miguel health officials announced in mid- March that they would test all of the county’s residents for COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, using blood draws instead of the nasal swabs used by the state health department and hospitals.

Local public health agencies in Colorado have looked to use blood tests amid national shortages of testing supplies, saying that they can help their departments determine who in the community is immune to the disease. However, medical experts question the usefulness of the tests, which are in their infancy and search for antibodies.

San Miguel officials said United Biomedical plans to process “as many as possible tests per day” of the remaining tests, starting this week, but there are other priorities in the company’s lab that can cause more delays, according to the news release.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

LarsMac;1531948 wrote: I suspect it will prove to be more of an economic factor than ethnic, but in many cities, the two can be tied closely together.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ronavirus/

But not everywhere in America. And even where it is illegal Pastors are getting their Parishioners to flout the Laws.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1531979 wrote: But not everywhere in America. And even where it is illegal Pastors are getting their Parishioners to flout the Laws.

[sigh] Yes, there are some nitwit pastors and their equally nitwit parishoners that think, somehow, The Lord with protect them from the bug.

most pastors and their flocks are of far more reasonable stuff.

In Colorado, it is the skiers and snowboarders who seem to feel invulnerable to the bug.

They make the treck up to the mountains, charge off into the hills to spend the day shredding the slopes, and when they need rescue, they give little thought to the rescue folks risking their lives looking after them.

Personally, I prefer the religious nuts. They are only endangering themselves and their flock, for the most part.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1531982 wrote: [sigh] Yes, there are some nitwit pastors and their equally nitwit parishoners that think, somehow, The Lord with protect them from the bug.

There's a notable strand in Christianity of regarding the world as a vale of tears, the leaving of which is a blessing. Funerals are happy occasions celebrating the release of the departed and his undoubted entry into the celestial choir.

People don't remember. I remember, but you don't remember. Let me find a hymn. Hang on.

Our brother the haven hath gained,

Out-flying the tempest and wind,

His rest he hath sooner obtained,

And left his companions behind,

Still tossed on a sea of distress,

Hard toiling to make the blest shore,

Where all is assurance and peace,

And sorrow and sin are no more.

It's a very clear message really. Why avoid Sunday worship during a plague if it helps you to your destination while preparing your mind for the journey.

Regarding the county analysis and lack of tests, those tests are extensive lab exercises, they've not been turned into the equivalent of a urine stick. One day they might be.
spot

Post by spot »

I offer another view of the data, still taking the raw material from the Johns Hopkins dataset on their Github link.

This one is all the daily confirmed cases by date, one line for each country (or, for China, individual province) with at least 25 cumulative cases. I've normalized the data so that the line makes an equal contribution regardless of the number of cases. The intention is that the area under each line is identical for all lines. Whether it's America or Singapore, the shape is what counts and the magnitude is ironed out.

There are spikes where individual countries have flung in a batch of missing cases or in one instance removed a batch. That's perhaps a dozen significant instances.

The China outbreak fires up, gets recognized, people are checked in the streets, locked into hospitals or warehouses, there are province and city wide lockdowns, contacts are traced and isolated. China beats the virus and it's holding down any resurgence.

The green batman bump in the middle is South Korea doing the same thing somewhat more efficiently.

The right of the graph is the rest of the world and it appears to me that the rest of the world is by and large not making any headway. Individual countries might be, Italy and Spain might be, the US and UK might do in a few weeks time but all in all it's taking several times as long as China did and it's not even started to curve into a peak. The total daily cases might for a few days because the big-total countries are making more effort but the mass of humanity following on a few weeks behind aren't being driven to make the same effort.

I don't think there's much good news in this plot. Again, it might just be another junk graph with not a lot to say. It's an exploration, that's all.

For good measure here are the deaths on the same basis. China here is one line, no provinces this time, in green at the left, and shows an exemplary crushing of the outbreak. South Korea follows in blue. The rise of the rest of the world forms the right hand side. Is anyone seriously going to see a slackening there yet?

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1531983 wrote: There's a notable strand in Christianity of regarding the world as a vale of tears, the leaving of which is a blessing. Funerals are happy occasions celebrating the release of the departed and his undoubted entry into the celestial choir.

People don't remember. I remember, but you don't remember. Let me find a hymn. Hang on.

Our brother the haven hath gained,

Out-flying the tempest and wind,

His rest he hath sooner obtained,

And left his companions behind,

Still tossed on a sea of distress,

Hard toiling to make the blest shore,

Where all is assurance and peace,

And sorrow and sin are no more.

It's a very clear message really. Why avoid Sunday worship during a plague if it helps you to your destination while preparing your mind for the journey.

Regarding the county analysis and lack of tests, those tests are extensive lab exercises, they've not been turned into the equivalent of a urine stick. One day they might be.

That is a common notion among some folks, Though this bug actually makes a lot more people really sick than it kills. It seems more like the notion of running out in front of a speeding truck (Lorry, for you Brits) to see if it's your time, or not.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I'm coming to the opinion that the only way to deal with the behavior of this fatuous White House administration is to simply ignore them all.

We have the President flinging mud at the World Health Organization, we have the Vice President flushing redder by the day whenever he says "China" and none of it is rational comment much less a basis of policy decisions.

I have a theory which has served me well for decades. Whenever the politicians or intelligence platforms of a country accuse those in another country of doing this or that, I view it as a mirror of what they know they do themselves and they're trying to create an excuse for when they're found out and brought to book.

A simple exercise is to take a pronouncement, and to replace (in this instance) the words "China" with "US", and see if it resonates. It often does.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

You don't count the dead when...

- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1532001 wrote: You don't count the dead when...

If anyone ever wondered what sarcasm was good for, there you go.

There's another YouTube version of the same song at "Bob Dylan - With God On Our Side - 12/04/88 - Oakland Coliseum Arena" which I quite like.

As one of the comments says: smartest guy in the room.

I think it would be fair to describe Mike Pence as permanently aggressive. He is not someone I would ever like to see in a leadership role.
spot

Post by spot »

There are lessons in this report, when we get round to planning for the next virus outbreak.

Singapore had been a master class in how to handle the Covid-19 outbreak.

Before the disease even had a name, the country had stringent travel restrictions and an efficient contact-tracing operation which contained the virus's spread.

But in recent days, the number of confirmed cases has rocketed. Thursday brought the highest day of new infections to date at 287, up from 142 the day before.

Mostly, these are coming from densely-packed migrant worker accommodation.

Having avoided it for months, Singapore is now under a partial lockdown, with schools and non-essential businesses closed, and people urged to stay at home.

Experts say one of the world's wealthiest nations - which seemed to be doing everything right - has important lessons for poorer countries, and there's still time to put them in place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-52232147

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

And like a bad penny, I return. Thanks for the help, spot

The pandemic has been heavily politicized in the US, are other countries experiencing this too?
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz;1532013 wrote: The pandemic has been heavily politicized in the US, are other countries experiencing this too?

You're speaking to someone who just subscribed to the Washington Post to see if what's being said here about America is actually true.

Our Prime Minister is out of intensive care but not back to running the country yet. Nobody in his Cabinet dare say they ought to be in charge instead, so the nation holds its breath.

Practically everyone is keeping to the rules regarding isolation. We're expecting to be released in batches to see if anyone writhes and dies or whether we can let out even more. Eventually we'll screw up, we have a tightrope to walk until summer 2021 and that's an optimistic guess. Rolling out an effective vaccine to enough of the population may well take longer.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1532013 wrote: And like a bad penny, I return. Thanks for the help, spot

The pandemic has been heavily politicized in the US, are other countries experiencing this too?

It seems EVERYTHING is highly politicized in the US, these days.

Good to see that you are well, Snooz.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot;1532015 wrote: You're speaking to someone who just subscribed to the Washington Post to see if what's being said here about America is actually true.

Our Prime Minister is out of intensive care but not back to running the country yet. Nobody in his Cabinet dare say they ought to be in charge instead, so the nation holds its breath.

Practically everyone is keeping to the rules regarding isolation. We're expecting to be released in batches to see if anyone writhes and dies or whether we can let out even more. Eventually we'll screw up, we have a tightrope to walk until summer 2021 and that's an optimistic guess. Rolling out an effective vaccine to enough of the population may well take longer.

Well, let's see. There's only one person that has COVID-19 but they'll be the only one, the virus will disappear when the weather warms up, it'll clear up like a miracle, it's all under control, Trump always knew it was a pandemic, he was just trying to be a cheerleader for the country, it's a Democrat hoax, it's the media's fault for exaggerating, it's all a plot to hurt Trump's reelection chances, Trump was so distracted by the impeachment process, he couldn't focus on the pandemic, older people should be willing to die to save the economy, Trump thinks Easter is a great time to open the country back up, people that die while infected with coronavirus but have underlying conditions didn't really die from COVID-19 so they don't count which means it's not as deadly as the Dems and media are claiming.

That's just off the top of my head and I've seen all those talking points repeated ad nauseam by Trump supporters.

And by the way, the Washington Post is fake news.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1532016 wrote: It seems EVERYTHING is highly politicized in the US, these days.

Good to see that you are well, Snooz.

Thanks, good to see you too. I've looked in occasionally but I never could recover my password. Luckily spot checked in with me via email yesterday and helped me out. Or in, to be more accurate.
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz;1532017 wrote: And by the way, the Washington Post is fake news.

The op-ed pieces are definitely hard to swallow.

The world is definitely not what it was though. It's weeks now since I last got propositioned on Tinder for example. You'd think with the pubs closed there'd be a roaring trade but apparently not.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

The problem with Religion - Christianity in particular - is that it is a Death Cult. They have no concern for this life, as they believe the sooner they die the sooner they will enter the Afterlife.

And is not a simple situation that they are only harming themselves, as they go & spread the contagion in the concentrated Petri Dish they call Church, and then go out to spread the word (and the virus) to everyone else.
spot

Post by spot »

I'm afraid you give the impression of bias rather than objective analysis.

There are undoubtedly some Christians, past and present, who fit your description. I doubt there is a significant proportion like that among Christians at the moment. The church would be a rather more attractive organization if there was.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1532032 wrote: The problem with Religion - Christianity in particular - is that it is a Death Cult. They have no concern for this life, as they believe the sooner they die the sooner they will enter the Afterlife.

And is not a simple situation that they are only harming themselves, as they go & spread the contagion in the concentrated Petri Dish they call Church, and then go out to spread the word (and the virus) to everyone else.

Sorry, but you have as limited a view of the Church as many other Self-avowed Atheists.

There are many Christians who are far more engaged in this life than in the "afterlife."

There are many Christians on the "front lines" of this current crisis, trying to ease the suffering, and comfort the worried, working hard to assure that the hungry are fed, and the elderly and sick are cared for.

Not all of them are represented by the likes Bakker, and Falwell, or Osteen or Robertson and their like.

May I suggest that you read a bit of Bonhoeffer, Merton, St Augustine.

(But then, this is a discussion probably better placed in a different thread, should you wish to pursue that line of thought. )
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I'm not sure I understand this $1,200 personal refund to all US taxpayers - is that what they're doing? Or is it to more people than that? What are the criteria?

And $3 trillion to prop up capitalism by handing it to US businesses?

I'm juggling the numbers here. You could instead hand $20,000 to each US household and still have a trillion dollars left over to prop up damaged small and medium sized companies. No donation is going to prop up the major corporations regardless of scale, and if some are toppling regardless of subsidies there's plenty below them to take their places.

The US electorate puts up with this sort of porcine feeding frenzy?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1532043 wrote: I'm not sure I understand this $1,200 personal refund to all US taxpayers - is that what they're doing? Or is it to more people than that? What are the criteria?

And $3 trillion to prop up capitalism by handing it to US businesses?

I'm juggling the numbers here. You could instead hand $20,000 to each US household and still have a trillion dollars left over to prop up damaged small and medium sized companies. No donation is going to prop up the major corporations regardless of scale, and if some are toppling regardless of subsidies there's plenty below them to take their places.

The US electorate puts up with this sort of porcine feeding frenzy?

And yes, much of the US electorate seems to put up with it.

The 1200 bucks is per adult. 2400 for a legal pair. Some additional bucks are sent to families on a per child bases.

As soon as the word came up, folks started asking, "What the hell is THAT supposed to accomplish?"

And yes, all the corporate bail-outs are going to , you guessed it, the big guys like Boeing and banks and real estate holders, landlords, and the like.

The Donald thinks that everybody will be back to work by the end of April.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

The Dems tried but with McConnell blocking everything once it gets to the senate, they didn't have much luck limiting business bailouts. They wanted a monthly amount paid out to families as well and a single check for $1200 is the best they could get. I'm pretty damn sure Trump is salivating over the slush fund for businesses since he's losing a lot of money on closed Trump properties. And that little thing about firing the IG that was supposed to monitor the funds? That isn't suspicious at all.

Evangelicals. Also known as prosperity gospel. The dregs of the earth.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1532054 wrote: The Dems tried but with McConnell blocking everything once it gets to the senate, they didn't have much luck limiting business bailouts. They wanted a monthly amount paid out to families as well and a single check for $1200 is the best they could get. I'm pretty damn sure Trump is salivating over the slush fund for businesses since he's losing a lot of money on closed Trump properties. And that little thing about firing the IG that was supposed to monitor the funds? That isn't suspicious at all.

Evangelicals. Also known as prosperity gospel. The dregs of the earth.

Ya get no argument from me on that. I watched the likes of Humbard and Swaggert bilk my grandmother out of her social security money for years.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

America's daily confirmed case total has now dropped for three consecutive days. Either that's good news or it's the Easter weekend. The number of worldwide confirmed cases doubled in 13 days between one and two million, which is a definite indication that the assorted lockdowns have started to make a difference, it's a third of its previous rate and it's no longer exponential in some places. I expect there will be immense pressure to slacken the conditions sooner than is sensible. The parts of the world where it still is exponential will push the figures dramatically higher eventually, to the extent that there can still be coherent counting of cases where it happens.

I watched yesterday's White House press briefing. It's car crash television. Does the President think he's a stand-up comic now?
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

18 bloody months minimum to a vaccine. Don't hold your breath.

On the bright side, I've never liked shaking hands, there's always some macho BS guy who tries to break your knuckles. I'm glad that's dead forever.

Also: I hated people crowding me in the shopping lines and bumping me with their baskets. Also over.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I haven't watched a White House briefing since Sarah was in charge of them.

We may be turning vegetarian, soon.

A number of meat packing plants have been shut down due to a lot of the workers turning up with COVID-19.

Out governor says things are looking better, overall, but we are still under Stay at home order until the end of the month. He doesn't really care what the Donald says about it.
- DH Lawrence
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Actually... I don't really care what Trump says about it either. Did yogurt his, "I have the power" act? Who does he think he is? He-Man Master of the Universe?

spot

Post by spot »

I will be more than happy if nobody ever takes the office of President seriously again. The whole point of having Congress decide federal policy and law is that it gets discussed in public rather than imposed. The Presidency is a check and balance like the Supreme Court, it's best offering vision rather than orders.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Agreed.
spot

Post by spot »

My theory, which is entirely mine because I've not seen anything in the news suggesting it but never mind, is that China will by now have government advisory teams across South America and Africa providing skills, loans, best practice and supplies to mitigate the effect of the pandemic on national economies. If they haven't, they ought to.
spot

Post by spot »

It strikes me that the chap giving these derisory press briefings recently - President Trump - really is going to tell his base to stop isolating and get America back to work, just to bypass the State Governors or anyone else who might have a justifiable sense of foreboding. Maybe I'm imagining things.

The UK, on the other hand, appears to be starting its peak-week for Covid-19 hospital admissions, which makes peak-week for deaths the first week of May. I did not think the country could successfully bring the exponential infection rate down but they have, to 0.6 infections per person at the moment. That's a major achievement.

The other matter is how many people, nearly all untested, have now had the disease to some extent. There's an app for that. The King's College / Guys / Zoe Covid-19 research app has over two million users at the moment. Politics may dictate the NHS has to put out an official one soon and split the impetus which is daft but they'll do it anyway. King's reckon the peak infection period was the first week of April with around 2 million UK residents infectious, which is wildly higher than I'd expected. It still leaves a large majority uninfected for any second wave that might take advantage of an end to the present lockdown. Presumably that will have to be very staged and very drawn-out.

https://covid.joinzoe.com/ is the app, I think it's a very good idea. Once a day reporting, after the initial questionnaire. Their latest webinar is at about the UK lockdown problem. The UK government has decided against slackening the conditions, they'll next review the decision three weeks from now,
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

A rather large crowd gathered in Michigan to protest the "Stay at home" order in that state.

I removed Michigan from my list of states to travel in or through for the next year or so.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I was just watching them. There's a clip here.

President Donald Trump says the US has "passed the peak" of new coronavirus cases and predicted some states would reopen this month.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52304993

I wonder what figures he's seen that suggest the US has passed the peak. I've not seen any. And you'd think he'd then like to bring the number of infectious people down a long way first.
spot

Post by spot »

So. Now we know what ‘total authority’ to reopen states means.

Trump’s guidelines for reopening states amid coronavirus pandemic will leave decisions to governors.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... story.html

I hope he at least enjoys being the center of attention.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1532169 wrote: So. Now we know what ‘total authority’ to reopen states means.

I hope he at least enjoys being the center of attention.

Well, how about that!

Maybe he is smarter than he thinks.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

According to the BBC,

The World Health Organization says there are only around five intensive care beds available for every one million people in most African countries. That is compared with around 4,000 beds for every million people in Europe.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52319956

That 4000 per million has to be a junk figure, it looks more like the number of overnight hospital beds. https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/s ... overnight/ suggests that. In the UK in February there were around 11,000 adult, pediatric and infant critical care beds in the entire NHS which is 200 per million.

This, though, is very pleasing, it's well within the Royal Society's original remit when Charles II set it up back in 1660, they filled a similar need during the Great Plague.

The Royal Society is to begin an urgent scientific investigation into ways of ending the coronavirus pandemic.

An expert panel will assess all the available science and lessons learned from other countries to provide advice in the next few days and weeks on how the current lockdown measures might be eased.

This is an unprecedented investigation for an unprecedented crisis.

Normally these kinds of analyses take months, if not years. This one will publish its findings to the public online shortly after the experts come to their conclusions.

In the coming weeks, they will aim to provide an assessment on the use of masks, whether the virus is less dangerous in the summer, and also to attempt to determine the impact of allowing children to go back to school. It will also look into the various options for safely easing social distancing measures.

The publication of its findings in the days and weeks to come means that there will be a public discussion about how lockdown measures might be lifted - even if the government isn’t yet ready to set out its ideas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52319956

spot

Post by spot »

spot;1531138 wrote: What's published will also vary a lot on what the national medical reporters are told, and as you say if tests aren't done on asymptomatic real positives then they'll not be registered as positive. I reckon Indonesia is a huge instance of exactly that, a country with thousands of positive bodies two of whom have been tested.

And a modelling report saying just that.

Indonesia has reported 15 new Covid-19 deaths, taking the total to 535, as well as 325 new confirmed infections. It takes the total number of infections in the country, the world’s fourth most populous with a quarter of a billion people, to 6,248.

A study by the London-based Centre for Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases released last month estimated that as few as 2% of Indonesia’s coronavirus infections have been reported.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/ ... pe-germany

spot

Post by spot »

Two thirds of the US confirmed cases were confirmed within the last 16 days.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1532171 wrote: Well, how about that!

Maybe he is smarter than he thinks.

God no, he's been sh*t tweeting "Liberate Michigan!" and other states. If people get sick, it's the governor's fault, if they don't, he'll take the credit. I consider that more cunning than intelligent. They don't call him Don the Con for nothing.
spot

Post by spot »

Snooz;1532242 wrote: God no, he's been sh*t tweeting "Liberate Michigan!" and other states. If people get sick, it's the governor's fault, if they don't, he'll take the credit. I consider that more cunning than intelligent. They don't call him Don the Con for nothing.

You remember the first lines of Wag the Dog, Snooze?

Always stick with a winner.

Keep America working.

Don`t change horses in midstream.

On election day, reelect the president.

I'm just saying how it works.

People I gotta tell you, I see a lot of glum faces now. Please don't be disconsolate. This is politics at its finest. This is where the rubber meets the road.

Now I'm gonna tell that we've got a leader going out tonight to 95 million American homes. He's gonna turn this thing around. You think this is tough? I was 4 months into production on The Song of Solomon, found out I didn't have the rights.

Tough? This is nothing.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Trump is Boss Tweed reborn with brain damage, I hope to god we're not stupid enough to reelect him.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snooz;1532248 wrote: Trump is Boss Tweed reborn with brain damage, I hope to god we're not stupid enough to reelect him.

The question is being asked in our media whether your election will be postponed?
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1532250 wrote: The question is being asked in our media whether your election will be postponed?

There's some white male octogenarian in the Senate who'd inherit the mantle on January 20th if that happens, everyone else in the chain of command will have lost their office by then.

At least it's not Alexander Haig this time.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1532252 wrote: There's some white male octogenarian in the Senate who'd inherit the mantle on January 20th if that happens, everyone else in the chain of command will have lost their office by then.

At least it's not Alexander Haig this time.

No, his term of office ends the same day.

Nancy’s ends earlier iirc so it should be whoever replaces her?

Return to “Current Events”