Well it's being floated again...the debate on the change of the national anthem

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Every time there's a problem nationally or a disaster or whatever this debate comes up time and time again. I'm asking for your opinions.

This is the present anthem. In my opinion it's dull. And basically doesn't apply to me because I'm female. Nor does it apply to the indigenous of this country. Just old white rich men.

Advance Australia fair.

This one incorporates our entire history. It's sung more often than our national anthem and people know the lyrics because it applies to them. And people tend to remember something that relates to them. It's also sung at every stage event in this country because it's seen as a feel good song. It's totally inclusive.

This version with video gives the history of Australia and it's people and lands

This one more recently during the virus. And what I mean by bringing people together. It seems to be our 'go to' come together song.

I'm just wondering what international folk think about it. I ask this because I caught people from other countries sing it when we've had the commonwealth games and Olympics and they put the words up on the screens. So it must have some kind of magnetism.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

magentaflame;1532197 wrote: Every time there's a problem nationally or a disaster or whatever this debate comes up time and time again. I'm asking for your opinions.

This is the present anthem. In my opinion it's dull. And basically doesn't apply to me because I'm female. Nor does it apply to the indigenous of this country. Just old white rich men.

Advance Australia fair.

That seems to be the basic Anthem sorta thing, set to wring out the Loyal citizen to feel called to patriotism, without really offering any meat. Maybe it means something to an Aussie and gives them a handle on "Pride in my Country"

I dunno. The phrases and all don't really touch the heart unless they mean something to Real Australians. Kinda like out Star Spangled Banner probably doesn't mean a lot to folks from across the Ponds who don't get the meaning drilled into their young hearts early on..

magentaflame;1532197 wrote:

This one incorporates our entire history. It's sung more often than our national anthem and people know the lyrics because it applies to them. And people tend to remember something that relates to them. It's also sung at every stage event in this country because it's seen as a feel good song. It's totally inclusive.

This version with video gives the history of Australia and it's people and lands

I kinda like that one. Simple an to the point, and I get a feeling for what it means to folks who have been on the Land and are a part of it.

magentaflame;1532197 wrote:

This one more recently during the virus. And what I mean by bringing people together. It seems to be our 'go to' come together song.

I'm just wondering what international folk think about it. I ask this because I caught people from other countries sing it when we've had the commonwealth games and Olympics and they put the words up on the screens. So it must have some kind of magnetism.

That is all pleasant and touchy-feely, and I am sure that a lot of people can feel really nice when singing it together. Nothing you really have to think about. Kinda like sharing a big bowl full of White Chocolate pieces while watching an old Disney Movie.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

"I am Australian" is a Seekers song. Woodley wrote it. (an Australian) The seekers seemed to do no wrong when it came to writing songs.

What's funny is, even my kids don't believe me when I tell them I used to have to sing "God save the queen" in primary school. lol

But get a load of this. The original lyrics published in 1879 were as follows:[14]

Australia's sons let us rejoice, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_Australia_Fair
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
spot

Post by spot »

I think there's only one way forward with this. ForumGarden must hold a contest to write a suitable Australian National Anthem and you will have to persuade Australia to adopt it officially.

This is an exceptionally fine offer and you ought to wholeheartedly jump at it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I sure you could adapt thos one.

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1532197 wrote: Every time there's a problem nationally or a disaster or whatever this debate comes up time and time again. I'm asking for your opinions.

Advance Australia fair.

Very definitely that last version - it deserves to be bilingual, sounds magnificent and reflects the country.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Hmmm there's a problem making it bulingual Bryn. Which language would you choose? There are hundreds of language in country. That's a can of worms I'm standing back from
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1532211 wrote: I sure you could adapt thos one.

lol lol lol lol ....you idiot! lol lol lol lol ...that was funny.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1532210 wrote: I think there's only one way forward with this. ForumGarden must hold a contest to write a suitable Australian National Anthem and you will have to persuade Australia to adopt it officially.

This is an exceptionally fine offer and you ought to wholeheartedly jump at it.

Now THAT would be funny. it would show how much people know about this country. Exept for "where the bloody hell are ya?" commercials, people don't know very much.

Do you realise the man who is responsible for that commercial now runs our country? an advertising man runs our country...........God help us all! Showing himself to be an absolute dick!

Here's a little gem that came out a few years ago. Forgotten why it came out. Maybe for Australia day?

couple of Canadian kids summing up Australia lol

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

magentaflame;1532213 wrote: Hmmm there's a problem making it bulingual Bryn. Which language would you choose? There are hundreds of language in country. That's a can of worms I'm standing back from

The one where the words from a reasonable translation fit the music best? lol.
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

If anything we should follow the French lead & make it a totally Sextarian one. Leave any mention of Religion out of it. How about Killer Queen?
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr;1532225 wrote: The one where the words from a reasonable translation fit the music best? lol.

Oh dear. again which language would that be? can of worms I'm telling you. And those words could become as deadly as snakes. Actually I'll ask the question, and report back.

You better have a small island I can escape to
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

gmc;1532211 wrote: I sure you could adapt thos one.

contrary to popular belief we don't do **** all in this country.

Return to “Australia”