America is Shutting Down

Bryn Mawr

America is Shutting Down

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1531900 wrote: America is going to get particularly badly hit because of their addiction to Religion.

https://deadstate.org/churchgoer-defend ... JoZYB1-GeQ

The US will be particularly bad because a) each state is doing it’s own thing but there is no restriction on moving between states and b) ignoring (a), Trump’s federal response is disjointed and not fit for purpose.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

FourPart;1531900 wrote: America is going to get particularly badly hit

I think we can say that every nation is going to be particularly badly hit unless it is startlingly good at organizing a public health response among a very large proportion of its citizens over the next few weeks, or unless the disease turns out to be seasonal in which case the particularly bad hit will be next winter instead of this May and June. The advantage of next winter is that the rattled politicians might get their feeble act together by then.

China (mainland and Taiwan), South Korea and possibly even Japan are the only countries I can see which might keep nearly all their citizens uninfected until they can be vaccinated next summer. I doubt many other countries will. Italy possibly, now it's been scalded, but it would be a very long haul.

As for everywhere else, either now or after a summer respite, most citizens will be infected. Very roughly nine in ten will be mild or asymptomatic infections and one in ten would need nursing. If they get nursed properly, only roughly one in ten of those who needed nursing will die of it. That's where the American 2.2 million figure originates, though from far more sophisticated models. A tenth of a tenth of most of 320 million is two million dead.

To bring that down to the 100-240 thousand fatalities band that the White House is now reluctantly projecting you would have to reduce these predicted fatalities by a factor of ten. China and South Korea appear to be successfully preventing most of their citizens from being infected in the first place but that is clearly not happening in most countries. Is the White House suggesting that America will successfully keep people isolated from each other for the next twelve months? Or that the population will spend the next twelve months in full-body protection suits, when they can't even source face masks and have to fall back on bandanas? Because reaching that 100,000 band depends on stemming the spread of the disease all the way until summer 2021.

There is one complication. Most nations have a predominantly healthy population. Most nations do not have a 40% adult obesity lifestyle. That may be a severe weighting toward death after infection which is not being counted. The tenth of a tenth of most, or 0.6%, is for most nations. If adult obesity is a factor which just doubles the risk, which again might be optimistic, then America's excess adult obesity could easily increase the result. Doubling the death rate for 8 million infected obese adults needing nursing adds 800,000 to the 2.2 million, taking the projection to three. If the 80 million infected obese adults have a lower proportion of mild or asymptomatic cases, and more need nursing intervention, then the additional figure rises even further. All of these statistics must by now exist in, for example, the New York epidemiological record, but they're not in the public domain yet.

What escape routes exist? A seasonal virus? That's fine but you still have to get through the subsequent winter before a vaccine can appear. Civil obedience until next summer? In America? Seriously? Or perhaps President Trump's gut feeling on novel medication will save the day. One can only hope.

And you can always announce from the Oval Office that America was deliberately attacked, and get a second term regardless of real-world events.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

Resarch is showing some good news/bad news stories.

The CoV strains apparently use the ACE2 receptors to access human cells.

There are ways to stop that. The problem is that several of the drugs for blood pressure and heart conditions, as well as diabetes, use these same receptors.

Which explains some of the vulnerability we are seeing with certain age groups and types of patients.

https://www.genengnews.com/news/two-pro ... o-testing/
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

America is Shutting Down

Post by FourPart »

spot;1531908 wrote: I think we can say that every nation is going to be particularly badly hit unless it is startlingly good at organizing a public health response among a very large proportion of its citizens over the next few weeks, or unless the disease turns out to be seasonal in which case the particularly bad hit will be next winter instead of this May and June. The advantage of next winter is that the rattled politicians might get their feeble act together by then.

China (mainland and Taiwan), South Korea and possibly even Japan are the only countries I can see which might keep nearly all their citizens uninfected until they can be vaccinated next summer. I doubt many other countries will. Italy possibly, now it's been scalded, but it would be a very long haul.

As for everywhere else, either now or after a summer respite, most citizens will be infected. Very roughly nine in ten will be mild or asymptomatic infections and one in ten would need nursing. If they get nursed properly, only roughly one in ten of those who needed nursing will die of it. That's where the American 2.2 million figure originates, though from far more sophisticated models. A tenth of a tenth of most of 320 million is two million dead.

To bring that down to the 100-240 thousand fatalities band that the White House is now reluctantly projecting you would have to reduce these predicted fatalities by a factor of ten. China and South Korea appear to be successfully preventing most of their citizens from being infected in the first place but that is clearly not happening in most countries. Is the White House suggesting that America will successfully keep people isolated from each other for the next twelve months? Or that the population will spend the next twelve months in full-body protection suits, when they can't even source face masks and have to fall back on bandanas? Because reaching that 100,000 band depends on stemming the spread of the disease all the way until summer 2021.

There is one complication. Most nations have a predominantly healthy population. Most nations do not have a 40% adult obesity lifestyle. That may be a severe weighting toward death after infection which is not being counted. The tenth of a tenth of most, or 0.6%, is for most nations. If adult obesity is a factor which just doubles the risk, which again might be optimistic, then America's excess adult obesity could easily increase the result. Doubling the death rate for 8 million infected obese adults needing nursing adds 800,000 to the 2.2 million, taking the projection to three. If the 80 million infected obese adults have a lower proportion of mild or asymptomatic cases, and more need nursing intervention, then the additional figure rises even further. All of these statistics must by now exist in, for example, the New York epidemiological record, but they're not in the public domain yet.

What escape routes exist? A seasonal virus? That's fine but you still have to get through the subsequent winter before a vaccine can appear. Civil obedience until next summer? In America? Seriously? Or perhaps President Trump's gut feeling on novel medication will save the day. One can only hope.

And you can always announce from the Oval Office that America was deliberately attacked, and get a second term regardless of real-world events.

The reason for the success of the Asian countries in beating the virus is that the culture is more inclined to make the people follow the instructions of their Government. In America, however, what their local Pastor says will overrule anything the Government says, and they will do whatever it take to get out & give them their tithe. Hardly any wonder the Pastors want to flout the regulations against mass gatherings.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1531912 wrote: The reason for the success of the Asian countries in beating the virus is that the culture is more inclined to make the people follow the instructions of their Government. In America, however, what their local Pastor says will overrule anything the Government says, and they will do whatever it take to get out & give them their tithe. Hardly any wonder the Pastors want to flout the regulations against mass gatherings.

Thankfully, Such pastors and congregations are a minority over here.

Not enough of a minority, mind you, but they ARE a minority.
- DH Lawrence
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

FourPart;1531912 wrote: The reason for the success of the Asian countries in beating the virus is that the culture is more inclined to make the people follow the instructions of their Government.

I'd call that a survival trait, wouldn't you?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1531911 wrote: Resarch is showing some good news/bad news stories.

The CoV strains apparently use the ACE2 receptors to access human cells.

There are ways to stop that. The problem is that several of the drugs for blood pressure and heart conditions, as well as diabetes, use these same receptors.

That's an interesting article, well worth finding and passing on.

I would not like to be in the first testing cohort for whatever preventative they come up with. I'm not sure how confident anyone would feel about the effects a couple of years or decades down the line either.

What I'd quite like are some antibodies. Didn't medics of the past abstract antibodies from the blood of survivors, and pass them on to uninfected communities?
Patsy Warnick

America is Shutting Down

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We've now jumped up to 2486 confirmed.

3 weeks ago our confirmed cases were at 27.

Our Governor is deciding on a curfew?

Our domestic violence has doubled and few places available for the victims.

My Nephew is still working & he's sooo thankful for that - his friends are calling for work - anything - he said it's sad & they're getting desperate.

Patsy
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1531915 wrote: That's an interesting article, well worth finding and passing on.

I would not like to be in the first testing cohort for whatever preventative they come up with. I'm not sure how confident anyone would feel about the effects a couple of years or decades down the line either.

What I'd quite like are some antibodies. Didn't medics of the past abstract antibodies from the blood of survivors, and pass them on to uninfected communities?

Most vaccines use that logic.
- DH Lawrence
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1531937 wrote: Most vaccines use that logic.

Well syringes full of antibodies from people being released from hospital certainly aren't available to my pay grade yet. I wonder how many movers, shakers and politicians have access to the supply. It seems reasonable to think the stuff is being collected.

If it was that simple we would all be immune, by now.

It takes a bit of processing to develop and prove a safe, reliable, and distributable vaccine in useful quantities. And you can bet your sweet Bippie that all those movers and shakers will be sitting around waiting for others to be on the front lines of the testing process.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

LarsMac;1531865 wrote: What Spot said. Too many people been watching too much Walking Dead.

I'm a huge fan of the Walking Dead!
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

I went to the store Monday I planned to get enough stuff to last all this week or longer since they said this week was going to be really bad. I had on my gloves and my mask. I had to go to the farm supply store for some hay baling twine. I walk in the place was full and NOBODY had on anything! they were standing around closer than any 6 feet waiting in line. They all looked at me like I was crazy. It made me feel really weird. Then I went to the grocery store and there was one man in there with a mask but nobody was wearing gloves.

They announced this morning that 2000 people died in the United States in the previous 24 hours.
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

spot;1531869 wrote: When it started. The whole notion of closing down the economy, national or international, was imbecilic.

A huge economic leap forward by the half dozen countries which crushed the disease quickly. That group clearly doesn't include the US or the UK.

What other option was there? Every country I've read about had a shutdown of one kind or another and the countries recovering the quickest are the ones that obeyed the strict edicts of their government.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

Patsy Warnick;1531854 wrote: Saint

What is it with a gun for a virus?

Patsy

Patsy people are buying guns and ammo because they are afraid people will give out of food and stuff and try to steal there's.
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

FourPart;1531912 wrote: The reason for the success of the Asian countries in beating the virus is that the culture is more inclined to make the people follow the instructions of their Government. In America, however, what their local Pastor says will overrule anything the Government says, and they will do whatever it take to get out & give them their tithe. Hardly any wonder the Pastors want to flout the regulations against mass gatherings.

All of our churches around here closed up without any questions. Our preacher is giving his sermons on the church website. I've also heard of churches having their services in the parking lot and everybody stays in their car.
gmc

America is Shutting Down

Post by gmc »

It's not that simple they also started the lock-down and testing far earlier. When I flew in to naples they were taking temperatures of all disembarking passengers when I flew back from naples to stanstead and walked off the plane with no testing of any kind. I also then spent four hours in the terminal before getting on a plane to edinburgh. Germany and austria both implemented lockdowns and shut their borders before we did though no doubt the canard about them being more inclined to do what they are told is held by some. Both in the UK and the US the governments ignored the warnings and did nothing.

An inclination to do what the pastor says rather than the government is not indicative of people who can think for themselves. Ask a doctor or listen to the priest I'm sorry thaty is not smart at all. The only problem with people going to church is it is not just them who will die as a consequence no doubt lbgt people and giodless atheists will somehow be toblame.
magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

Poor New York. And Brazil is worse now too.

The authorities here are already preparing criminal charges against agencies and companies. The fines they are dishing out here are staggering as well.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1532070 wrote: It's not that simple they also started the lock-down and testing far earlier. When I flew in to naples they were taking temperatures of all disembarking passengers when I flew back from naples to stanstead and walked off the plane with no testing of any kind. I also then spent four hours in the terminal before getting on a plane to edinburgh. Germany and austria both implemented lockdowns and shut their borders before we did though no doubt the canard about them being more inclined to do what they are told is held by some. Both in the UK and the US the governments ignored the warnings and did nothing.

An inclination to do what the pastor says rather than the government is not indicative of people who can think for themselves. Ask a doctor or listen to the priest I'm sorry thaty is not smart at all. The only problem with people going to church is it is not just them who will die as a consequence no doubt lbgt people and giodless atheists will somehow be toblame.

The battle lines for locking down church services in the US seem to be drawn by the republican vs Democrat orientation of state legislatures and governors.

There are churches who intend to defy lockdowns. and there are governors who are refusing to include Church services on the list of shut down gatherings.

Most of these are republican/conservative people.

Fortunately, for the most part these are still a minority.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

To defy public gatherings of any kind is just stupid. ah let them go for it...kill off half their church population if they want it so badly. christ! don't they know how to pray at home?
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

Now if they could just stay separated from the normal, sane part of society, we'd be all set.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1532075 wrote: Now if they could just stay separated from the normal, sane part of society, we'd be all set.

And, THERE's the rub.

Most of them like to go out to the local restaurants for brunch after services, and mingle with the normal folks.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

Hopefully all the restaurants are closed to dining-in customers. They can take that stupidity home with them.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

Snooz;1532057 wrote: What other option was there? Every country I've read about had a shutdown of one kind or another and the countries recovering the quickest are the ones that obeyed the strict edicts of their government.

The thing is, the US has a citizen body which is reluctant to adhere to government instructions. Keeping the infection suppressed until all citizens have had their free jab, excluding of course the anti-vaxxers who will universally refuse one, is going to take you to Christmas 2021 if it starts roll-out around June 2021 - and I'm being very optimistic with those dates. I suspect that by then most of America will have thrown in the towel and settled for getting infected, other than pensioners keen to keep their pensions rather than just die early.

Now, speaking as a pensioner, I think it's more in the interest of the nation (the UK as well as the US) to retain its job security and dynamic skillset than to lose 1% of the least productive members of society. I'd rather take my inflated chance than see the country closed for the best part of two years, running up debt to be paid by the children for the next quarter century.

I do admire the Chinese and South Koreans who can just get on with life while stamping on the outbreak, but even there I think controlling matters for two years will be hard work.

As for " every country I've read about had a shutdown", no. Look at the Indonesians, or most of the African nations, they've done nothing of the sort. What you mean is every Western country. More people live in Indonesia than in the US and Europe combined.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1532078 wrote: Hopefully all the restaurants are closed to dining-in customers. They can take that stupidity home with them.

For the now, that is true. And our governor just extended the lockdown until at least the 29th of April.

Though I ran across some of them yesterday at the market when I had to go after some essentials that are still not being delivered reliably.

These idiots came in, a crowd of four, and bullied their way through the aisles, taking up as much space as they were able to. Brought the Passive-agressive out in me before we got through the Produce area. The market had the aisles all marked for directions, intending that folks go one-way and up one aisle, down the other. They seemed to intuit this right off the bat and go the opposite direction, forcing me to wait for them to pass.

About halfway through, I decided to let my allergies have their way with me. Just as these clowns got to a foot or so from me, I started hacking and coughing, and removed my mask to wipe my nose with my sleeve. They stopped to watch, and then reversed course and moved on to another aisle.

Apparently they were not the only witnesses to my "incident". For the rest of my trips down the aisles they were mysteriously vacant until I made it to the check out.

I must add that to my shopping routine.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

No indoor or outdoor gatherings of more than two people unless you're all part of the same household

People should not leave their house except for essential reasons: to shop for food or other essentials, attend work or education....((no more education)) (if you can't do this from home), exercise, or for medical care or compassionate needs

Some state borders are closed except for people with exemptions for essential travel

There can be a maximum of one visitor (not a member of your household) to your home — but some states are taking a less strict approach to this rule

People must maintain a 1.5-metre distance from each other if they are in contact with members outside their household (ie. going to the shops, the workplace, out for exercise)

Many non-essential venues are now closed to the public. Restaurants and cafes are only allowed to offer take away or home delivery, while pubs, gyms, cinemas, casinos and places of worship are closed. Some non-essential retailers are still allowed to be open as long as they comply with social distancing measures

All travellers arriving in Australia must go into 14 days of self-isolation at a designated quarantine facility

These rules were updated at a national level on March 30, the third time the Prime Minister introduced new measures to deal with the spread of coronavirus. That's why many are calling this "stage three".

We've been told this will probably last six months. Oh and this isolation thingy?.... They are using soldiers to make sure people stay in the isolation hotels they have provided.
magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

spot;1532079 wrote: The thing is, the US has a citizen body which is reluctant to adhere to government instructions. Keeping the infection suppressed until all citizens have had their free jab, excluding of course the anti-vaxxers who will universally refuse one, is going to take you to Christmas 2021 if it starts roll-out around June 2021 - and I'm being very optimistic with those dates. I suspect that by then most of America will have thrown in the towel and settled for getting infected, other than pensioners keen to keep their pensions rather than just die early.

Now, speaking as a pensioner, I think it's more in the interest of the nation (the UK as well as the US) to retain its job security and dynamic skillset than to lose 1% of the least productive members of society. I'd rather take my inflated chance than see the country closed for the best part of two years, running up debt to be paid by the children for the next quarter century.

I do admire the Chinese and South Koreans who can just get on with life while stamping on the outbreak, but even there I think controlling matters for two years will be hard work.

As for " every country I've read about had a shutdown", no. Look at the Indonesians, or most of the African nations, they've done nothing of the sort. What you mean is every Western country. More people live in Indonesia than in the US and Europe combined.

Ahem.....Spot the Indonesians were talking about shooting people coming/going over their border.

https://www.smh.com.au/world/asia/indon ... 54j6q.html
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1532086 wrote: Ahem.....Spot the Indonesians were talking about shooting people coming/going over their border.

They've done sod all to reduce infection spread within their borders though. Some god-awful politician spouting impractical lies from a platform is not impressive.
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

spot;1532079 wrote: The thing is, the US has a citizen body which is reluctant to adhere to government instructions. Keeping the infection suppressed until all citizens have had their free jab, excluding of course the anti-vaxxers who will universally refuse one, is going to take you to Christmas 2021 if it starts roll-out around June 2021 - and I'm being very optimistic with those dates. I suspect that by then most of America will have thrown in the towel and settled for getting infected, other than pensioners keen to keep their pensions rather than just die early.

Things change, don't they.

Jakarta to start shutdown as burials, and fears, rise amid coronavirus outbreak

President Joko Widodo had resisted lockdown measures, but an increase in burials has sparked concerns about undetected cases

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

magentaflame;1532085 wrote: We've been told this will probably last six months

I suppose it depends on what "this" is, that will last six months. If people go back to spreading the infection exponentially again before mass vaccination is well progressed, then the outbreak will go back up again. That's not going to be fixed six months from now.
magentaflame

America is Shutting Down

Post by magentaflame »

Agreed... It's day by day. We've been told it could get to stage four. Some restrictions may ease but if the infection numbers begin to rise again we'll be straight back to the tough restrictions. it's been advised that this could last from six months to 2 years. they are saying there will be a low level of infection within the community for this period of time.

I don't understand america over 20,000 deaths, a quarter of that in the last five days

For us?56 dead.

2576 infected. So clearly we've done the right thing.
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

We have an idiot game show host as president that sat on this for four months, claiming it was a hoax, etc and his followers STILL don't believe it's a problem and continue to do everything that can to "own the libs" by ignoring social distancing. The number of dead here is staggering and it's hard for me to believe that people are this willfully ignorant.
Patsy Warnick

America is Shutting Down

Post by Patsy Warnick »

People are willfully ignorant

Today thousands are at our local Lake for Easter.. really

What don't they understand? and why is the Lake open?

Our count has jumped to 3300 confirmed cases - 103 died.

Patsy
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

Snooz;1532075 wrote: Now if they could just stay separated from the normal, sane part of society, we'd be all set.

I take issue with that I am perfectly normal and sane!
Hope6

America is Shutting Down

Post by Hope6 »

LarsMac;1532072 wrote: The battle lines for locking down church services in the US seem to be drawn by the republican vs Democrat orientation of state legislatures and governors.

There are churches who intend to defy lockdowns. and there are governors who are refusing to include Church services on the list of shut down gatherings.

Most of these are republican/conservative people.

Fortunately, for the most part these are still a minority.

Sorry Lars I'm a republican/conservative and I stopped going to church services before they started banning anything.
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

Hope6;1532100 wrote: Sorry Lars I'm a republican/conservative and I stopped going to church services before they started banning anything.

That's because you're normal and sane.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

I spent a while preaching. Not a lot of people know that.

I don't think the proportion of Americans who are effectively self-isolating is sufficient to knock the disease back to smaller numbers, not while others are congregating still. Nobody has yet found an alternative strategy much less a protective treatment. You'd think a hundred years of segregation would finally come in useful but apparently not.

I don't see a quick fix either. The times are gone when the National Guard could fire a few live rounds and change the mood for ever.

As for protective treatments, I'd definitely like to know what proportion of the White House denizens have been injected with antibodies from survivors, and what dates they were treated. And that may be the nearest I ever get to starting a conspiracy theory.
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1532103 wrote:

[QUOTE=Hope6;1532100]Sorry Lars I'm a republican/conservative and I stopped going to church services before they started banning anything.

That's because you're normal and sane.

Yeah! What Snooz said.

There are still sane conservatives out there.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

spot;1532106 wrote: I spent a while preaching. Not a lot of people know that.

I don't think the proportion of Americans who are effectively self-isolating is sufficient to knock the disease back to smaller numbers, not while others are congregating still. Nobody has yet found an alternative strategy much less a protective treatment. You'd think a hundred years of segregation would finally come in useful but apparently not.

I don't see a quick fix either. The times are gone when the National Guard could fire a few live rounds and change the mood for ever.

As for protective treatments, I'd definitely like to know what proportion of the White House denizens have been injected with antibodies from survivors, and what dates they were treated. And that may be the nearest I ever get to starting a conspiracy theory.

That's a plausible conspiracy theory, there's no way glad-handing Trump didn't get infected when so many at Mar a Lago have.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

LarsMac;1531913 wrote: Thankfully, Such pastors and congregations are a minority over here.

Not enough of a minority, mind you, but they ARE a minority.

I've tracked down the initial cause. The author, Harriett H. Pierson, must surely have been American and she was prolific.

We are marching forth to battle,

With our banners all unfurled;

We have joined the Christian army

For the conquest of the world;

And the sign by which we conquer

Over each and ev'ry foe,

Is the cross of Christ uplifted

By the vanguard as we go.

Harriet H. “Hattie” Pierson

Birth Mar 1864

Canaan, Columbia County, New York, USA

Death 12 Nov 1945 (aged 81)

Huntington, Suffolk County, New York, USA
FourPart

America is Shutting Down

Post by FourPart »

As a Council Approved Community Volunteer I have official Council Documentation to affirm that I have reason to be out.

I really hope that when all this C19 business is over with that we get to retain some of the Community Spirit that has emerged.
Patsy Warnick

America is Shutting Down

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We've jumped to 3965 confirmed cases & 142 deaths.

I just checked on my neighbors - delivered spaghetti dinners to them - I hang the dinner on their door knobs & ring their bell & back off.

Wasn't there a tradition for May Day - deliver flowers - ring the bell & run? I'm sure no one does that anymore.

Anyone receive the stimulus check? We received ours.

Stay safe

Patsy
Patsy Warnick

America is Shutting Down

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We have jumped to 4250 cases & 150 deaths.

Now Trump wants to open up America - what do you say about the reopening?

Obviously AZ hasn't hit the peak of this virus - I'm not comfortable with reopening.

Patsy
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

Stay home and refuse to be fooled Patsy. The idea that the number of infectious people will go down across the whole of America in the next few months seems quite far-fetched. I hope you're in one of the more sensible parts.

I have no idea how interstate movements will be cut back but I expect it will be tried. The Governors are already trying to form local coalitions.
Patsy Warnick

America is Shutting Down

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Spot

Just in AZ alone our count of CONFIRMED CASES are climbing daily. How could tomorrow be any safer than today?

What happened to waiting for the infected area to reach it's peak & watch the stats go down before reopening? What happened to testing everyone?

I feel reopening now will double the confirmed cases.

I haven't been tested - has any one here been tested?

Patsy
LarsMac

America is Shutting Down

Post by LarsMac »

Colorado seems to be at a threshold.

8600 confirmed cases (tested)

1600 hospitalized

357 deaths.

Nearly half the deaths are nursing home patients.

The Stay at home order seems to be working.

Of course, now, a number of people want to join Michiganders in protesting the "stay at home" order. Claiming they want to get back to their lives.

Me, I'm good. I'll stay right here at home.

Y'all go on. Have your fun. But I ain't diggin yer graves.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

America is Shutting Down

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Lars

I'm with you - I'll be home. Yes, I've seen the protesting. We have some older folks (Crabbers) who will not be told what to do & certainly not by Trump... OMG the mentality ..

I live on a golf course - across from me are condos & this time of year the condos are dark & empty because the "Snow Birds" went home.. The "Snow Birds" are stuck here - I hope they like our weather - it's 88 degrees & climbing LOl Lol . They have their Air Conditioners running already.. LOl & they're crabbers - meaning crabby.. Lol

Lars - your vacation scheduled for the end of the year still a Go?

Oh, we've climbed to 4300 cases.

Patsy
tude dog

America is Shutting Down

Post by tude dog »

1494 cases reported in Kansas. In my county of 3800 people, one case of COVID.

Anywhere you go there are bound to be some restrictions, limiting the number of people in any establishment. Must call into the pharmacy pick up prescribed medicines, wait outside nobody is allowed inside. They will not take check or cash, credit debit cards only accepted.

Seems people are pretty good about it all.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
gmc

America is Shutting Down

Post by gmc »

What i don't understand is how anyone seeing trump making light of the virus and saying it will all be away by April, then claiming he was the first to realise it was a pandemic etc etc praising chin a and then blaming it can still support him. Same with fox news going from being a liberal hoax??? to being deadly serious.

Do they just remember the last thing he said or something? If only their stupidity just killed themselves and no one else.
spot

America is Shutting Down

Post by spot »

gmc;1532186 wrote: Do they just remember the last thing he said or something? If only their stupidity just killed themselves and no one else.

He's transformed the Presidency from routine complicity in killing foreigners to the theater of the absurd. His political life has been a sustained performance. Either he's designing the look and feel of it or he's not - I'm happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he deliberately invented a comic genius and he's giving the performance of a lifetime. It's artistry.

Clearly there are different ways of interpreting what's happening in the White House but I quite like mine. I'd be interested to know why it's not so. Not a lot else makes sense. He's identified a segment of American society that he can lampoon, ridicule and mock. He's wrangled them into his electoral base. Pure MAGA magic.

Let me offer one additional argument in my favor. If you were watching fiction, this depiction would have you glued to your seat and he'd be in line for an Oscar. He's the political equivalent of Borat.
Snooz

America is Shutting Down

Post by Snooz »

Michigan has armed militia protesting the governor and her stay-at home order, it's quite a sight. I'd post the photo but I can't seem to get it to work.

Return to “Health Wellness”