Slow Cooker Experiment

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by tabby »

I'm relatively new to using a slow cooker but I've made some really delicious recipes in it over the last few years. Around the time I bought it, I also bought a cookbook dedicated to slow cooker recipes. I've probably made over half of the recipes in the book by now but there is one that I've skipped repeatedly and purposely.

The recipe is called "Dad's Dill Roast Beef". The title sounds innocuous enough but wait ... only 2 ingredients?

1 (3 to 4 lb) beef chuck roast

And

1 large jar of whole dill pickles, undrained

You put the roast in the slow cooker, pour the pickles and juice over it, cook several hours, shred the meat and make sandwiches on thick crusty rolls.

The author's comments describe it as an "out of this world" sandwich!

I've skipped this one so often yet I find myself lingering over it and wondering. I like pickles to a point. Will the pickles in this dominate the entire taste of the roast? Or just give it a little zing? Will the large dill pickles disintegrate after cooking several hours?

It's a weird recipe but curiosity keeps drawing me back and I think I may give it a try. I would hate to ruin or waste a perfectly good roast but all of the other recipes in the book have been successes so that's in its favor.

Has anyone tried a similar recipe? Does this one sound revolting or tasty to you?
LarsMac

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by LarsMac »

That sounds tasty.

We will put it on the list of things to try when we get on the road again.

We have installed a DC - AC inverter next to the kitcen stove o the RV so we can start up the Crockpot, or Instapot when we set out in the morning, and have a cooked meal waiting for us when we arrive at our evening stop.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1529526 wrote: That sounds tasty.

We will put it on the list of things to try when we get on the road again.

We have installed a DC - AC inverter next to the kitcen stove o the RV so we can start up the Crockpot, or Instapot when we set out in the morning, and have a cooked meal waiting for us when we arrive at our evening stop.

That sounds like a great idea for the boat, food waiting at the end of a days cruising would be heaven.

As to the recipe, a three to four pound beef joint just for sandwiches is mind boggling.
spot

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1529531 wrote: As to the recipe, a three to four pound beef joint just for sandwiches is mind boggling.

No no, you fail to comprehend. The recipe is an outdoor substitute for a main meal, not a snack.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1529531 wrote: That sounds like a great idea for the boat, food waiting at the end of a days cruising would be heaven.

As to the recipe, a three to four pound beef joint just for sandwiches is mind boggling.

You have not seen my sandwiches.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1529535 wrote: You have not seen my sandwiches.

Oh my poor stomach :)
tabby

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1529535 wrote: You have not seen my sandwiches.

After driving an RV all day, you deserve a big sandwich! :)

RVs & boats ... sounds like fun!
LarsMac

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1529538 wrote: Oh my poor stomach :)

- DH Lawrence
spot

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by spot »

I had a pair of boots ended up like that after a particularly long trek.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Slow Cooker Experiment

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1529556 wrote: I had a pair of boots ended up like that after a particularly long trek.

With a little Vinegar and mustard and a few hours in the slow cooker, you would find them quite edible.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “The Kitchen”