Greta Thunberg Is Time's Person Of The Year for 2019

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

And, of course, tRump, apparently angry and jealous of this goes to mocking the 16-year-old. If his supporters can't see the immaturity of this in tRump, there's nothing that can open their eyes. Donald's nimrod son Donald jr also took to getting in on it making it a gangbang, which is not shocking coming from these two. tRump wrote: So ridiculous. Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend! Chill Greta, Chill! Project much, Donnie? tRump jr wrote: Time leaves out the Hong Kong Protesters fighting for their lives and freedoms to push a teen being used as a marketing gimmick. How dare you?Project much, Nimrod? https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... r-n1100531
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

These guys all have their eyes closed.

https://apnews.com/09acb60e55594ee79914e7691fdcd922

When christianity took over in europe they called it the dark ages. I used to find that genre of american sci fi where religous extremism takes hold and freedom goes out the window a bit hard to see as credible I still do really but sometimes I wonder.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I guess when one believes in a myth that portrays a God who creates evil people for the sole purpose of fulfilling His will there can be no such thing as a contradiction or free will for that matter.

I'm not certain which one the religious rights projects on Trump. Is it David or Saul? Or is it another character?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1528632 wrote: And, of course, tRump, apparently angry and jealous of this goes to mocking the 16-year-old. If his supporters can't see the immaturity of this in tRump, there's nothing that can open their eyes. Donald's nimrod son Donald jr also took to getting in on it making it a gangbang, which is not shocking coming from these two. Project much, Donnie? Project much, Nimrod? https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... r-n1100531

Not shocked much less surprised Time's selection. It is really great putting a 16-year-old child and her silly diatribe as their own political statement of the year.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1528721 wrote: Not shocked much less surprised Time's selection. It is really great putting a 16-year-old child and her silly diatribe as their own political statement of the year.Did you think anything similar when Trump was their choice?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

A 16 year old is hardly a child these days.

And I see nothing silly about being concerned that few, if any of the "Leaders" of today are yet doing anything useful about the the looming climate issues.

Even the Petroleum companies have recognized that there will be a significant effect from the exploitation of fossil fuels, and are making adjustments to their long range plans, while the collective governments simple offer lip service and diddle their fiddles.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1528721 wrote: It is really great putting a 16-year-old child and her silly diatribe

I wonder whether I could persuade you to quote anything she's said in public which qualifies as "silly", I'm interested to know what might fit this setting. Any quote, anywhere, any topic, so long as it's actually her words and you put them in quote marks. If you can choose something relevant to her public message then that would be a bonus but I don't insist.

And I don't believe Time has ever actually endorsed the position of their "Person of the Year". Their own claim is just that the person they choose has become wildly and surprisingly influential in the previous twelve months. Hitler, Bono, Wallis Simpson, Stalin twice, Krushchev, the Ayatollah, Giuliani - where do you get "their own political statement" out of that selection exactly? You honestly think any of those deep thinkers meshed with Time's editorial perspective?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I like this commentary.

DEFACE THE NATION

We normally scoff at the idiotic choices made by TIME magazine (not that it is still a magazine) for their annual "person of the year" issue, but for 2019 they almost got it right.

Not by selecting Greta Thunberg, the spoiled, hectoring, self-important brat of privilege who thinks she's going to change the world by skipping school and being a complete pain in the global ass. But we think TIME almost got it right because the real "person of the year" should be that vicious, angry, "please punch me" snot face that has become the new Guy Fawkes mask worn universally by liberals.

'How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood'
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1528786 wrote: I like this commentary.

DEFACE THE NATION

We normally scoff at the idiotic choices made by TIME magazine (not that it is still a magazine) for their annual "person of the year" issue, but for 2019 they almost got it right.

Not by selecting Greta Thunberg, the spoiled, hectoring, self-important brat of privilege who thinks she's going to change the world by skipping school and being a complete pain in the global ass. But we think TIME almost got it right because the real "person of the year" should be that vicious, angry, "please punch me" snot face that has become the new Guy Fawkes mask worn universally by liberals.

'How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood'

You’re not a fan I take it?
spot

Post by spot »

tude dog;1528786 wrote: I like this commentary.

I wonder whether I could persuade you to quote anything she's said in public which qualifies as "silly", I'm interested to know what might fit this setting. Any quote, anywhere, any topic, so long as it's actually her words and you put them in quote marks. If you can choose something relevant to her public message then that would be a bonus but I don't insist.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1528796 wrote: I wonder whether I could persuade you to quote anything she's said in public which qualifies as "silly", I'm interested to know what might fit this setting. Any quote, anywhere, any topic, so long as it's actually her words and you put them in quote marks. If you can choose something relevant to her public message then that would be a bonus but I don't insist.

Greta Thunberg UN Climate Action Summit Speech Transcript 2019: “How Dare You?”

Greta Thunberg: 00:00 "My message is that we’ll be watching you. This is all wrong. I shouldn’t be up here. I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean. Yet, you all come to us young people for hope. How dare you? You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words, yet I’m one of the lucky ones.

Greta Thunberg: 00:39 People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is the money and fairytales of eternal economic growth. How dare you?

Greta Thunberg: 01:06 For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear. How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you are doing enough when the politics and solutions needed are still nowhere in sight?

Greta Thunberg: 01:25 You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency, but no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil and that I refuse to believe.

Greta Thunberg: 01:52 The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control. 50% may be acceptable to you, but those numbers do not include tipping points.

Greta Thunberg: 02:16 Most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution or the aspects of equity and climate justice. They also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist. So, a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us, we who have to live with the consequences.

Greta Thunberg: 02:43 How dare you pretend that this can be sold with just business as usual and some technical solutions? With today’s emissions levels, that remaining CO2 budget will be entirely gone within less than eight and a half years. There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures here today because these numbers are too uncomfortable and you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is.

Greta Thunberg: 03:19 You are failing us, but the young people are starting to understand your betrayal. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say, we will never forgive you. We will not let you get away with this. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up and change is coming, whether you like it or not. Thank you."
spot

Post by spot »

I can see no reason why anyone would regard that as "silly". It's certainly well constructed. To be able to do that in a foreign language is even more impressive.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Did you honestly think you were going to get anything in the way of an explanation or description?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

spot;1528812 wrote: I can see no reason why anyone would regard that as "silly". It's certainly well constructed. To be able to do that in a foreign language is even more impressive.

Perhaps I choose the wrong adjective.

I could have applied any of these to that quote of hers.

childish

crazy

frivolous

idiotic

inappropriate

irresponsible

ludicrous

nonsensical

pointless

preposterous

ridiculous

simple

stupid

empty

irrational

asinine

balmy

brainless

dippy

dizzy

empty-headed

fatuous

featherbrained

flighty

foolhardy

harebrained

ignorant

illogical

immature

imprudent

inane

inconsistent

meaningless

muddle-headed

nitwitted

puerile
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1528813 wrote: Did you honestly think you were going to get anything in the way of an explanation or description?

I gave him exactly what he asked for.

persuade you to quote anything she's said in public which qualifies as "silly", I'm interested to know what might fit this setting. Any quote, anywhere, any topic, so long as it's actually her words and you put them in quote marks. If you can choose something relevant to her public message then that would be a bonus but I don't insist.

That is in additon to the You Tube video
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Now explain why you view the quote as silly.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1528816 wrote: Now explain why you view the quote as silly.

Uh, how about

silly[ sil-ee ]SHOW IPA

SEE SYNONYMS FOR silly ON THESAURUS.COM

adjective, sil·li·er, sil·li·est.

weak-minded or lacking good sense; stupid or foolish:

a silly writer.

absurd; ridiculous; irrational:

a silly idea.

Considering the commentary I posted earlier seems to me it was a rather kind descriptive word.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Okay - let's take it sentence by sentence. What do you find silly about this? My message is that we’ll be watching you.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1528812 wrote: I can see no reason why anyone would regard that as "silly". It's certainly well constructed. To be able to do that in a foreign language is even more impressive.

All she had to do was say it in her own language.

I am sure that the UN has some very competent interpreters to handle the "foreign language" part.

I see nothing at all silly in what she had to say.

Perhaps Tude is one who does not believe that there is a pending climate crisis?
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1528823 wrote:

Perhaps Tude is one who does not believe that there is a pending climate crisis?

Nothing new about climate change What is amazing is how easy it is to create a panic so as to profit from a natural event.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1528880 wrote: What is amazing is how easy it is to create a panic so as to profit from a natural event.Who's creating the panic and to what end?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1528880 wrote: Nothing new about climate change What is amazing is how easy it is to create a panic so as to profit from a natural event.

So, a hurricane is a natural event. IF you do not prepare for one when it is coming at you, it may not end well.

The Natural Climate change would likely not be nearly as big a deal, if the last 100 years of Humans burning Petro Chemicals with impunity had not accelerated the process. And, if we continue on the same course for the next 100 years, our offspring may not like the world we will have made for them.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1528880 wrote: Nothing new about climate change What is amazing is how easy it is to create a panic so as to profit from a natural event.

Climate always changes but every time that it has changed at anything approaching this rate all species over twenty five kg average adult weight have become extinct.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I have yet to hear anyone who claims climate warning is a hoax explain why they think it is and what it is about the scientific studies they find unconvincing - be it methodology or conclusion.

Just saying it is a hoax over and over again is not much of a coumter argument.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

gmc;1528958 wrote: I have yet to hear anyone who claims climate warning is a hoax explain why they think it is and what it is about the scientific studies they find unconvincing - be it methodology or conclusion.

Just saying it is a hoax over and over again is not much of a counter argument.It's probably just a parroting of Don jr. It's probably assumed he knows since he has all that money.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1528884 wrote: So, a hurricane is a natural event. IF you do not prepare for one when it is coming at you, it may not end well.

The Natural Climate change would likely not be nearly as big a deal, if the last 100 years of Humans burning Petro Chemicals with impunity had not accelerated the process. And, if we continue on the same course for the next 100 years, our offspring may not like the world we will have made for them.

A hundred years from now?

In 1909

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1529026 wrote: A hundred years from now?

In 1909

An interesting point:

If that second photo was taken in 2009, that was at about the point where the CO2 concentration reached the peak level as recorded via Ice Core Sample from Vostok in the last nearly 500 thousand years.

We have no data to show what happens when the levels get that high. We have no record of that ever happening.

We do know that the concentration level rise has accelerated phenomenally over the last 110 years.

In 1810 the levels were at ~284 ppm

In 1909, they were at 300 ppm - about 16 ppm more than 100 years before.

in the next 100 years they increased to 387 ppm, as I pointed out earlier, that is near the highest we have seen in nearly half a millennium.

In the last ten years, it has increased to 411 ppm, a change of 24 ppm, half again the change we saw in the hundred years prior to your first picture being taken.

I suggest you might want to take another picture this year and then another each decade to come. It might be very interesting.

Or not.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1529029 wrote: An interesting pointWhat exactly is his point? How is anyone to know without an explanation? What I see is two photos, and the only fact of that is that cameras, film and film processing has been enhanced over time.

How about a bit of background explanation and an actual argument in the form of text?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1529031 wrote: What exactly is his point? How is anyone to know without an explanation? What I see is two photos, and the only fact of that is that cameras, film and film processing has been enhanced over time.

How about a bit of background explanation and an actual argument in the form of text?

It seemed rather obvious, to me.

He is replying to my comment:

He is trying to show that over the last hundred years, there has been little substantial change in the average day in the little corner of Kansas that he inhabits.

He therefore intuits that all of the extraction and exploitation of petroleum during that time is of no consequence to the world in general. And, he presumes that the next hundred years will likewise experience little significant change, as well.

There are many locations on the planet where such reasoning abounds. I have had the same, or similar discussions with a number of relatives who live in other regions around the country.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1529043 wrote: It seemed rather obvious, to me.

He is replying to my comment:

He is trying to show that over the last hundred years, there has been little substantial change in the average day in the little corner of Kansas that he inhabits.

He therefore intuits that all of the extraction and exploitation of petroleum during that time is of no consequence to the world in general. And, he presumes that the next hundred years will likewise experience little significant change, as well.

There are many locations on the planet where such reasoning abounds. I have had the same, or similar discussions with a number of relatives who live in other regions around the country.FFS - this is absurd! You make the leap that since you've had certain discussions with others regarding climate change, that the posting of two photos taken 100 years apart without any background or explanation other than your post containing a reference of 100 years from someone completely ignorant of the subject matter says all that? Sorry dude, if this were a court of law you'd be admonished for leading the witness, not just leading, but testifying for the witness. Why is it left up to you to explain to the rest of us what TD is thinking? Isn't that what he should be doing?

Give me a break! However, now I see a "yeah, what he said" cartoon coming.

For all we know, given TD's reputation and past behaviors, I'd say he's making a case for landscaping or showing us the building he used to work in more so than anything else. He does have a tendency to conflate things that are foreign and out of context to discussions.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1529058 wrote: FFS - this is absurd! You make the leap that since you've had certain discussions with others regarding climate change, that the posting of two photos taken 100 years apart without any background or explanation other than your post containing a reference of 100 years from someone completely ignorant of the subject matter says all that? Sorry dude, if this were a court of law you'd be admonished for leading the witness, not just leading, but testifying for the witness. Why is it left up to you to explain to the rest of us what TD is thinking? Isn't that what he should be doing?

Give me a break! However, now I see a "yeah, what he said" cartoon coming.

For all we know, given TD's reputation and past behaviors, I'd say he's making a case for landscaping or showing us the building he used to work in more so than anything else. He does have a tendency to conflate things that are foreign and out of context to discussions.

Oh my.

You really should mind that PWI.

Given that he started that post by quoting my previous comment, it strikes me as fairly obvious that he posted those pics in response to my post - quoted here to save you floundering around looking for the tie-in

" Quote Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post

So, a hurricane is a natural event. IF you do not prepare for one when it is coming at you, it may not end well.

The Natural Climate change would likely not be nearly as big a deal, if the last 100 years of Humans burning Petro Chemicals with impunity had not accelerated the process. And, if we continue on the same course for the next 100 years, our offspring may not like the world we will have made for them."

You may wish to go back a couple or three posts prior to get the full conversation. It might help. And then, might I suggest that you read my response to that post with the pictures.( mean, the part AFTER I typed "An interesting point:"

I think that following the whole converstion may clear up your confusion a bit.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1529063 wrote: Oh my.

You really should mind that PWI. That's your best defense? You project someone else's argument onto a poster that said nothing of the sort, and I'm drunk? Good one. I prefer encouraging standing on one's own rather than coddling them, Mommy Dearest.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1529067 wrote: That's your best defense? You project someone else's argument onto a poster that said nothing of the sort, and I'm drunk? Good one. I prefer encouraging standing on one's own rather than coddling them, Mommy Dearest.

So, does that mean you are NOT going to read the entire conversation?
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1529068 wrote: So, does that mean you are NOT going to read the entire conversation?I already have. You clearly projected some else's argument onto TD's post. The question is...why. I suspect you needed to showcase some small bit of knowledge you've gained about climate change and ppm rhetoric. It makes no sense otherwise and we do behave in such a way that benefits us as individuals. I get it, we all like to appear smart. There's no shame in any of that, though in this particular case it encourages idiocy.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1529070 wrote: I already have. You clearly projected some else's argument onto TD's post. The question is...why. I suspect you needed to showcase some small bit of knowledge you've gained about climate change and ppm rhetoric. It makes no sense otherwise and we do behave in such a way that benefits us as individuals. I get it, we all like to appear smart. There's no shame in any of that, though in this particular case it encourages idiocy.

Umm, OK, Whatever you say, Boss.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Look, if your boy is going to enter a discussion by insulting a 16-year-old female for being a bit emotional about a subject as vital as this one by calling her silly or stupid and then go about using unintelligible sentence fragments and unexplained photos to make some idiotic point that he's incapable of expressing in words, I'm going to call him on it since Greta isn't here to do that herself, though I suspect she'd make mincemeat of TD if she was here.

You can try to defend or cover for TD's shameful posture if you like, but don't expect it to go unchallenged.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1529078 wrote: Look, if your boy is going to enter a discussion by insulting a 16-year-old female for being a bit emotional about a subject as vital as this one by calling her silly or stupid and then go about using unintelligible sentence fragments and unexplained photos to make some idiotic point that he's incapable of expressing in words, I'm going to call him on it since Greta isn't here to do that herself, though I suspect she'd make mincemeat of TD if she was here.

You can try to defend or cover for TD's shameful posture if you like, but don't expect it to go unchallenged.

I do not see how you interpreted anything that I said as agreeing with or defending TD's posts.

But I can tell by your rant that you actually read very little of the relevant conversation itself.

Have nice day and a Merry Christmas.

TTFN
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1529029 wrote: An interesting point:

If that second photo was taken in 2009, that was at about the point where the CO2 concentration reached the peak level as recorded via Ice Core Sample from Vostok in the last nearly 500 thousand years.

We have no data to show what happens when the levels get that high. We have no record of that ever happening.

We do know that the concentration level rise has accelerated phenomenally over the last 110 years.

In 1810 the levels were at ~284 ppm

In 1909, they were at 300 ppm - about 16 ppm more than 100 years before.

in the next 100 years they increased to 387 ppm, as I pointed out earlier, that is near the highest we have seen in nearly half a millennium.

In the last ten years, it has increased to 411 ppm, a change of 24 ppm, half again the change we saw in the hundred years prior to your first picture being taken.

I suggest you might want to take another picture this year and then another each decade to come. It might be very interesting.

Or not.

I should have explained those pictures. I had an explanation but deleted it. In short, I was giving an example of the technological and societal advances/changes unimagined those 110 years ago.

I have no idea of the actual date of that old picture of what the weather was like.

Today few people own horses and they are not used on a daily basis. The streets are now paved and everybody has electrical power, the internet, etc.

1920 census population 390 and now barely 100.

My problem with the panic of weather change is all those who want to preach what we all should do/can about it.

It is a global situation, there is no global concesus what if anything we can/do about it.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1529190 wrote: I should have explained those pictures. I had an explanation but deleted it. In short, I was giving an example of the technological and societal advances/changes unimagined those 110 years ago.

I have no idea of the actual date of that old picture of what the weather was like.

Today few people own horses and they are not used on a daily basis. The streets are now paved and everybody has electrical power, the internet, etc.

My problem with the panic of weather change is all those who want to preach what we all should do/can about it.

It is a global situation, there is no global concesus what if anything we can/do about it.

there is a lack of consensus on whether there even is a problem. How, then, might we reach a consensus on what to do about it?

Obviously reigning in the consumption of Fossil Fuels will end up being one major step, but to do so without compromising the reasonable quality of life for the 8-10 Billion people we will have soon is the real challenge.

I believe that it's time to stop arguing about whether it is going to happen, and start arguing over what to do about it.

Though, Most of us will likely never see the results of whatever action Humanity takes to deal with it. People like Greta and her generation will be the ones who face the full brunt of the impact our lack of decision for the last 40 years will have.

She seems to know that, and that is why she seems so angry.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1529190 wrote: I should have explained those pictures. I had an explanation but deleted it. In short, I was giving an example of the technological and societal advances/changes unimagined those 110 years ago.

The only country denying that there is a problem and breaking the consensus is the good old USA. Whilst the world’s largest economy refuses to take action on the grounds that it will “damage American jobs” the rest of the world cannot take effective steps.
gmc

Post by gmc »

"https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Ad_hominem

Ad hominem (Latin for "to the person"), short for argumentum ad hominem, typically refers to a fallacious argumentative strategy whereby genuine discussion of the topic at hand is avoided by instead attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the ...

‎Fallacious types · ‎Tu quoque · ‎Circumstantial · ‎Non-fallacious types"

What's going to happen imo is that the US (and us as well probably although if scotland beomes independent the rest of the uk might not manage to drag us down with them) are going to be left behind as countries like china and india develop alternative fuel technologies out of necessity since their pollution proiblems are a bit more immediate and deadly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=polluti ... 8xdqpGQZ-M:

posted by tude dog

"Today few people own horses and they are not used on a daily basis. The streets are now paved and everybody has electrical power, the internet, etc.

It is a global situation, there is no global concesus what if anything we can/do about it. "

You forgot to add nowadays farming is not the labour intensive matter it was a hundred years ago that is perhaps why the population has falllen in that particular area making it a one truck town. Tarmacadam was only patented in 1902 it would be surprising indeed if s rural town had any kind of paving. Imagine the piles of horse**** if the car hadn't been invented by those clever europeans.

It's really only the US that climate change denial is an issue. All youn can do is take care of your own back yard waiting to see if someone else does something first is a bit pointless. Not facing up to it is economic suicide as well as actual suicide.

I am a hypocrite though, I own a car and do a high mileage as for me public transport is not practical.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

You all know that there is another thread for global warming that spot works on keeping current and these posts are perfect content for it? This thread is intended to discuss as the title suggests. I understand it's easy for subjects to intersect.

So once again I'd like to ask TD what he finds silly about GT's speech by addressing the contents of the speech rather than merely copying and pasting it.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1529223 wrote: showthread.php?t=36847&p=1529222&viewfull=1#post1529222

My grandaughter, today was sporting a new sweatshirt with a picture of Greta T, the one from the Time cover. Apparently they have become rather popular around her school.

Seems the young'uns are tiring of us adults screwing up their world.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

When my kids were young I learned from them that children mostly endeavor to be part of a solution. Children are good at identifying the stress their elders are dealing with and try to be helpful. Sometimes they have difficulty communicating their intentions, but they do mean well and we should always be listening to them rather than telling them to shut up or insulting them when they speak. Adults of the mindset that this president represents is toxic to our relationship, not just to the environment, but also to our young.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Despite her many supporters, Thunberg has been the recipient of criticism from high-profile figures and has even contemplated deleting her social media because of the onslaught of negative comments.

After Thunberg was named Time's Person of the Year, President Donald Trump mocked the activist on Twitter.

"So ridiculous. Greta must work on her Anger Management problem, then go to a good old fashioned movie with a friend!" Trump wrote. "Chill Greta, Chill!"

In response, Thunberg updated her Twitter bio to read: "A teenager working on her anger management problem. Currently chilling and watching a good old fashioned movie with a friend." A 17 year old outclassing the POTUS and his idiot son. Nice! https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... d-n1111436

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Societal Issues News”