Poetry contest?

libertine

Poetry contest?

Post by libertine »

Unfortunately, I think it is a scam to make money. I entered a poetry contest many years ago and was one of the 'finalists'. I even purchased the book, although I was sure by then it was a come-on. After many false starts (printing delays, etc), I finally received the book..incidently a decent soft cover, well bound. The print was a little sleazy... and found that probably every poem that was entered had been a 'finalist. Some of it was REALLY BAD The book was $22, and they 'reserved' five more for me to give to family and friends. Needless to say I didn't take advantage of that offer!!

Many poetry contests these days DO charge a fee to enter, something like $3 a poem, or $10 for as many as you want..that kind of fee... and ask for a SASE if you want a response. Those contests are usually sponsored by University publications, writers' groups, magazines or newspapers, or other entities that have a track record.

Names like Great Poets of America or some such are usually fly-by-night.

But the only way you'llever really know for sure is to try it!! Every poet needs one such experience in his career to make him aware of what's out there.

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”