Winter Miscellany

What's the weather like today?
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

Thanks, ZAP! I named my Gracie after Gracie Allen ... I love that old show!
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

Snowboarding in New York City

tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

The Richmond Times Dispatch features a vintage news photo from their archives each day and sometimes they throw in an article. This excerpt of an editorial written by Edward Grimsley in 1972 provides as good a description of February as I've ever seen:

"February has a deserved reputation as the orneriest, bleakest month of the year. Its shortness of days is deceptive, for as Times-Dispatch columnist Charles McDowell Jr. has written of February:

“It is longer than the War of the Austrian Succession and less exhilarating than the flu. It is the Silas Marner of months.”

The current February’s audacious attempt to cram an entire winter’s complement of snow, slush, and Arctic gusts into its 29 long-drawn-out days has done nothing to advance this month to the list of things that Virginians love. However, on a recent trip to the grocer’s to resupply our household with chicken soup and cold capsules, February’s essentials, we noticed some wondrous new items on the shelves: Candy bunnies. Jelly-beans. Chocolate-covered eggs. All the ingredients for a fine Easter basket, and so advertised.

Could it be? A check with the calendar confirms what hardly seems possible: spring will officially arrive only three weeks from today. And from spring’s arrival be but one week of Palm Sunday and one more to Easter. Granted that the merchants may be rushing the season a bit, isn’t this a happy thought to lift our spirits above present adversities? It really won’t be so long now before we will be exchanging the dreariness of frozen turf for the gloriousness of the flowering dogwood. And the happiest event in the immediate future will occur at midnight tomorrow when we trade in February for March, which should be a fair exchange no matter whether the latter comes in like a lamb or like a lion."
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

magentaflame

Winter Miscellany

Post by magentaflame »

How cold is Germany at the moment? The news keeps going to live crosses to that truck crash and the reporter looks like he's about to go into hypothermia.
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

ZAP

Winter Miscellany

Post by ZAP »

tabby;1505287 wrote:

Amazing video! Thanks for posting. :-6:
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

yw ZAP! :)

Here's a finch rescue ~~ the description says:

"While feeding my horses on New Year's morning I noticed a solitary finch perched upon the steel fence near the water tank. The tank is heated to keep it from freezing. It is not uncommon for birds to drink from the heated tank. Apparently this unfortunate bird had gotten its feet wet and, while making its exit, had become frozen to the fence in the prevailing near zero Idaho temperatures. First, I attempted to warm the feet of the frightened bird by pressing my palm against both the fence and the birds feet, while also gently restraining the bird's flapping wings. It then seemed that warming the birds feet with my warm breath would bring quicker success. Gentle sideways motion with my thumb brought freedom for the frightened bird and a smile of satisfaction to my face... a delightful way to start a new year."

ZAP

Winter Miscellany

Post by ZAP »

Watching the video I just kept saying oh no, aww, ohh . . .and then what a brilliant thing for you to do! I have to show this to my daughter who wanted to be a vet--should have but she's a dialysis nurse so . .. once she had one of her hummingbirds sit on her shoulder for a while. She'll love this video. THANK YOU!
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

I'd be very flattered if a hummingbird trusted me enough to rest on my shoulder! Those little birds are so fascinating to watch during the summer months as they flit around the flowers. I was glad the rancher was able to save the finch from freezing or starving and like he said, what a delightful way to start the new year!
tude dog

Winter Miscellany

Post by tude dog »

Two fronts walk into an isobar.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

Good one, tude! I read it wrong the first time ~~ thought front said font probably because I recently saw a similar joke that went "Two fonts walked into a bar. One said "You're not my type." :)

tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

Ice Carousel in Finland

tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

Watch soap bubbles freeze in real time:

tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

I know it's only mid February but I'm so ready for Spring! I refuse to acknowledge winter any longer this year.
AnneBoleyn

Winter Miscellany

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tabby;1506913 wrote: I know it's only mid February but I'm so ready for Spring! I refuse to acknowledge winter any longer this year.

I'm with you.
kazalala

Winter Miscellany

Post by kazalala »

we have managed to largely avoid storm Doris so far up here in the north east, bit of wind and rain in the last hour , hopefully wont get much worse.

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bryn Mawr

Winter Miscellany

Post by Bryn Mawr »

kazalala;1506977 wrote: we have managed to largely avoid storm Doris so far up here in the north east, bit of wind and rain in the last hour , hopefully wont get much worse.

We've lost a fence panel but, so far, no worse.
Vera

Winter Miscellany

Post by Vera »

tabby;1506913 wrote: I know it's only mid February but I'm so ready for Spring! I refuse to acknowledge winter any longer this year.

AnneBoleyn;1506938 wrote: I'm with you.

Heh, it’s only mid March, but WHERE IS THE SPRING:-3? It’s -10 in Toronto! I want to find myself in some sunny place, in a luxurious villa on the coast, drinking Pina Colada and getting tan all day long:-6!! I just want to be here http://https://www.2luxury2.com/5-spani ... e-made-of/ not in cold Canada in a shared apartment with my friend.:-1
tude dog

Winter Miscellany

Post by tude dog »

I am ready for spring.

This map shows every

inch of snow that fell on

the lower 48 this year
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr

Winter Miscellany

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1518447 wrote: I am ready for spring.

This map shows every

inch of snow that fell on

the lower 48 this year

Makes our measly three inches look kinda lame :-)
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

It's Winter Solstice today and it feels it ~~ it's only about 40F and cloudy here. I hope to see some snow this winter ... not a crippling amount but I would like to have at least one good storm.

Snow yet, anyone?
LarsMac

Winter Miscellany

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1528947 wrote: It's Winter Solstice today and it feels it ~~ it's only about 40F and cloudy here. I hope to see some snow this winter ... not a crippling amount but I would like to have at least one good storm.

Snow yet, anyone?

We had a couple of feet just before Turkey Day. It has not completely melted away, yet. That is plenty of snow for me.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Winter Miscellany

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1528947 wrote: It's Winter Solstice today and it feels it ~~ it's only about 40F and cloudy here. I hope to see some snow this winter ... not a crippling amount but I would like to have at least one good storm.

Snow yet, anyone?

Nope, about 50f here but it’s been raining for months - very strange weather.
spot

Winter Miscellany

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1528950 wrote: Nope, about 50f here but it’s been raining for months - very strange weather.

Sileby pitch is under water, or maybe I saw something different.

Hayle was too, yesterday.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Winter Miscellany

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1528953 wrote: Sileby pitch is under water, or maybe I saw something different.

Hayle was too, yesterday.

I think I'd prefer snow to all that rain.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Winter Miscellany

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1528954 wrote: I think I'd prefer snow to all that rain.

Very soggy, I don’t imagine that we’ll have many crops next year
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

We had a mild drought this year that lasted until around early November and even the rain we've received since then hasn't been much to speak of but it's better than nothing. Last year (2018) was exceptionally wet!
Ahso!

Winter Miscellany

Post by Ahso! »

Big auto pile up down your way today, Tabby.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

Ahso!;1528981 wrote: Big auto pile up down your way today, Tabby.

Yes, I saw that on the news a little while ago ~~ 65 vehicles involved and 35 people taken to the local hospitals. It was early this morning and they think the chain reaction started due to dense fog. York County is about 125 miles east of me and we didn't have any fog at all this morning. I hope there were no major injuries.

VDOT is predicting the two heaviest traffic days this week to be tomorrow and Thursday.
LarsMac

Winter Miscellany

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1528984 wrote: Yes, I saw that on the news a little while ago ~~ 65 vehicles involved and 35 people taken to the local hospitals. It was early this morning and they think the chain reaction started due to dense fog. York County is about 125 miles east of me and we didn't have any fog at all this morning. I hope there were no major injuries.

VDOT is predicting the two heaviest traffic days this week to be tomorrow and Thursday.

I hate running I-64. When I was going up that way for work, I got really creative on how to get to and from Norfolk and Newport News without I-64.

But the photo I saw, definitely a foggy morning, and a construction zone. Add a bunch of people in a hurry, and, surprise.

I now try to avoid anywhere in Virginia that's not west of Richmond. (well, except for an occasional trip up to the Eastern Shore)
- DH Lawrence
spot

Winter Miscellany

Post by spot »

It's on the main World page at the BBC today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50888357

It looks an astonishingly narrow section of one-way road with only two lanes, no hard shoulder to pull onto without blocking a lane, and no verge of any sort, just barriers left and right within inches of the lanes themselves. I've not seen a road that scary before. Either it's a temporary stretch or someone was cutting costs when they built it.

In the UK that would definitely qualify for a 30 mile an hour limit, every time.

If that's seriously meant to be an Interstate it should be a minimum three lanes each way with a central barrier, a run-off hard shoulder beside each slow lane and a verge beyond that, not a wall. It should have fluorescent phone booths every mile with direct access to the emergency services too. What on earth is meant to happen on that road if a vehicle has to stop, regardless of the reason?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Winter Miscellany

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1529005 wrote: It's on the main World page at the BBC today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50888357

It looks an astonishingly narrow section of one-way road with only two lanes, no hard shoulder to pull onto without blocking a lane, and no verge of any sort, just barriers left and right within inches of the lanes themselves. I've not seen a road that scary before. Either it's a temporary stretch or someone was cutting costs when they built it.

In the UK that would definitely qualify for a 30 mile an hour limit, every time.

If that's seriously meant to be an Interstate it should be a minimum three lanes each way with a central barrier, a run-off hard shoulder beside each slow lane and a verge beyond that, not a wall. It should have fluorescent phone booths every mile with direct access to the emergency services too. What on earth is meant to happen on that road if a vehicle has to stop, regardless of the reason?

I know that section of road. It is two-lane bridges in each direction, over Queen Creek. They began constructing some lane expansion last year. There is no place to leave the roadway there.

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/yo ... ushed-car/
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

LarsMac;1528995 wrote:

I now try to avoid anywhere in Virginia that's not west of Richmond. (well, except for an occasional trip up to the Eastern Shore)

Me too! I only go to Richmond if necessary and thankfully these days that's rarely. I find traveling on interstate roads to be frazzling and will go a longer route on quieter roads just to avoid them. I95 & I81 are just as bad as I64!
LarsMac

Winter Miscellany

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1529045 wrote: Me too! I only go to Richmond if necessary and thankfully these days that's rarely. I find traveling on interstate roads to be frazzling and will go a longer route on quieter roads just to avoid them. I95 & I81 are just as bad as I64!

This Summer we followed US 29 from Charlotte up to Culpepper. It was a nice run. They are working to turn that route into another Interstate, though.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

This has been such a mild winter for us so far this year ~~ downright dull weather-wise!

This video shows some mishaps on ice:

tabby

Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

This morning, Phil the Groundhog predicted an early Spring. We'll see!

Soap Bubbles Freezing in Real Time:

tabby

Re: Winter Miscellany

Post by tabby »

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ah, yes, The magic of Winter

- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:59 pm Ah, yes, The magic of Winter
That does not look like snow which is going to be gone tomorrow.

If you drive south in that RV you'll reach Tijuana. There's no snow there.
tabby

Post by tabby »

You need some Big Foot Snow Shoes - Made by K-Tel in 1977. I'm sure you could find a pair on Ebay. Think of how envious your neighbors would be!

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I've seen snow like that once in my lifetime, can't remember the year, I was a child. We never have snow like that, it's always a slushy disgusting mess within hours.
Although I'm sure what you have is a major inconvenience, do the roads get cleared ? We completely grind to a halt here, it's quite pathetic.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:30 am
That does not look like snow which is going to be gone tomorrow.

If you drive south in that RV you'll reach Tijuana. There's no snow there.
Digging the thing out will take a while.

Though we are looking at some relatively warm and dry weather for the next week or so.
When we are unbound, we are heading to Florida for a month.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:37 am

I've seen snow like that once in my lifetime, can't remember the year, I was a child. We never have snow like that, it's always a slushy disgusting mess within hours.
Although I'm sure what you have is a major inconvenience, do the roads get cleared ? We completely grind to a halt here, it's quite pathetic.
We are situated along a Federal Highway that crosses the county, and is well maintained due to the amount of commercial traffic that uses it.
We are on the edge of town, and can get to the next town East easier that we can get to our own town hall.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The youth of today! Snow drifts ten feet deep that hang around for months and we still had to walk through it for miles to get to school each day <exits stage left muttering darkly>
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:14 pm

The youth of today! Snow drifts ten feet deep that hang around for months and we still had to walk through it for miles to get to school each day <exits stage left muttering darkly>
:lol: I have always lived in the wrong part of the country for the snow drifts you speak of to be a common occurrence.

That dark muttering lark must run in the family ...
Arthur233

Post by Arthur233 »

I can't stand winter, it causes only problems. You can't even drive to work.

Return to “Weather Station”