Holy Grail Bottle Of Scotch Whisky Sold For £1.5 Million

Fact is stranger than fiction.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Interesting investment decision .

Assume it will never be drunk .

But why treat a rare whisky as an asset over , for example , a precious metal ?

This "Holy Grail" Bottle Of Scotch Whisky Just Sold For £1.5 Million

The "alternative asset" market seems to still be in a boom, judging by the bid for one rare bottle of Scotch whisky.

A bottle of Macallan 1926 60-year-old single malt from cask number 263 sold for a world record £1.5M at auction in London, according to the BBC. Sotheby's, who held the auction, didn't release the name of the buyer.

This sum dwarfs the previous record for a single bottle of scotch, which stood at £1.2M and was set by another bottle of Macallan from the same cask that was sold last November. Sotheby's described the Macallan 1926 from cask number 263 as the "holy grail" of whisky.
spot

Post by spot »

Rarity, the improbability of any more coming to light. I expect a bottle of brandy from Napoleon's private cellar would be similarly exciting, or a still-sealed amphora of Greek wine from Pompeii.

I wouldn't say that £1.2m dwarfs £1.5m though. Hyperbolic language there.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

The use of the term Dwarf is auction code for -- another effing Chinese gentleman pinched another of our treasures .
spot

Post by spot »

Raphael;1526707 wrote: another effing Chinese gentleman pinched another of our treasures .

I'm delighted that the most civilized nation on earth has finally regained its natural vigour. Few recent developments have brought me greater pleasure.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Yes , it's absolutely spiffing that selective Genocide is back in fashion .

And of course eradicating all those bitter and twisted Christians has done much to ease the Climate crisis .

If only they remembered to be joyous . I don't recall Jesus whining and bleating when they

knocked the nails in . He has always struck me as a damned fine sport .
spot

Post by spot »

You know, there are real genocides which people just laugh off as misadventures nobody intended - the First Peoples of the United States, for instance - and then there are the non-existent genocides which people make up in order to disparage groups who have done no such thing. Like the Chinese.

As for the dangers of fundamentalist monotheism I'd have thought that was all to obvious given the record of the last millennium and a half. I'd push the Christians into the same camps as the Uighurs and re-educate both at the same time. They - monotheists - have an agenda, power complexes like nobody else, intransigent adherence to what is basically a lie against nature, why on earth should they not be put out of harm's way and decommissioned.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Looks like we nearly agree on something big .

But I am not totally convinced about re-education .

Very expensive in money and time terms . Possibly decades .Cost -- trillions

Perhaps we should weaponise dissatisfied customers and then use them strategically . A bit like Obama and HRC did when they created and then used ISIS .

Until matters went wrong and things got out of control .

The trouble with genocide is that it looks so crass and beastly and ones historical footnotes are invariably very unpleasant .
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Raphael;1526753 wrote: Looks like we nearly agree on something big .

But I am not totally convinced about re-education .

Very expensive in money and time terms . Possibly decades .Cost -- trillions

Perhaps we should weaponise dissatisfied customers and then use them strategically. A bit like Obama and HRC did when they created and then used ISIS .

Until matters went wrong and things got out of control .

The trouble with genocide is that it looks so crass and beastly and ones historical footnotes are invariably very unpleasant .

Given that ISIS grew directly out of Al-Qaeda in Iraq and Al-Qaeda formed in the early 80s that would appear unlikely.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Bryn Mawr;1526765 wrote: Given that ISIS grew directly out of Al-Qaeda in Iraq and Al-Qaeda formed in the early 80s that would appear unlikely.

It's a most interesting and sensitive subject . And we will need some time before all the evidence is available before passing final judgements .

Below is one of hundreds of similar articles which argues that even if ISIS was not created by the US , then their incompetence in Iraq was wholly instrumental in bringing it about :-

Before we invaded in 2003, there were no armed Islamist groups like ISIS in Iraq. As horrible as Saddam Hussein was, he had at least managed to keep a lid on them. Then we invaded, removed Saddam from power, and the Pentagon failed to issue the necessary orders for securing property. That led to widespread looting and a nearly instantaneous social breakdown in the absence of minimal security.

Then the Coalition Provisional Authority geniuses we put in charge of running Iraq thought it would be a great idea to disband the Iraqi army—an act that instantly put hundreds of thousands of heavily armed young men, with nothing to do, out on the streets and out of anybody's control.

Then, to triple down on the stupid, we implemented a "de-Baathaification" purge, along the lines of the de-Nazification that followed the defeat of Germany, notwithstanding glaring differences between the scope and reach of the Nazi party in Germany, and the toothless haplessness of the Baath party in Iraq. That removed thousands of technocrats and bureaucrats necessary for the routine functioning of government, and wrecked its ability to deliver basic services such as electricity, garbage removal, or furnishing the minimal safety necessary to keep schools open.

Needless to say, it didn't take long for a complete collapse of law and order and a series of insurgencies spanning most of the country. And our incoherent response—waves of random arrests that swept both foe and would-be friend; a plethora of checkpoints manned by nervous, confused and frequently trigger happy troops who shot up cars full of innocents; frequently indiscriminate use of firepower that piled up "collateral damage;" and numerous instances of abuse and even outright massacres that were often unpunished, added fuel to the fire.

The insurgency began attracting foreign Islamist fighters from all over for jihad tourism in Iraq. Something that hadn't happened in decades of Saddam's rule, did within months of U.S. rule. Even Al-Qaeda, which had no prior presence in Iraq, opened up a branch office, Al-Qaeda in Iraq, which quickly became one of the most virulent and bloodthirsty of the insurgent groups. It even set up a proto statelet, openly governing some regions in western Iraq—the same ones where ISIS would get its start a few years later.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq was eventually beat down, but its surviving members, such as Abu Bakr al Baghdadi, would go on to form ISIS soon as the U.S. withdrew from Iraq. Helped in no small part by America's final gift: the U.S. trained Iraqi army, a sad sack and astonishingly incompetent, corrupt and cowardly mob—something I addressed in my answer to Why is the Iraqi army losing Abrams tanks so easily?

In short, we didn't set out to create ISIS, but we screwed up so bad that the emergence of ISIS or something equally bad was inevitable.

END QUOTE

from Quora but posted by NEWSWEEK , today .

More sinister is the evidence that the CIA encouraged this progression and has funded ISIS to the tune of perhaps billions .

Another Topic at another time .

Funding is a very difficult subject to write about because most intelligent money transfers are made electronically and can involve many intermediary points of call . Sometimes near impossible to unravel .

And cash from mostly drug funds is largely untraceable --- the CIA 's main money trading across the planet .

Let's leave it by noting the weapons that ISIS acquired .

Why did the US Military leave millions of pounds of equipment just waiting to be picked up by any passing stranger etc etc .
spot

Post by spot »

Raphael;1526766 wrote: Below is one of hundreds of similar articles which argues that even if ISIS was not created by the US , then their incompetence in Iraq was wholly instrumental in bringing it about :

That is undoubtedly true, but it's not at all what you originally claimed.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

The clear cut evidence of massive CIA involvement with drugs is there if you know where to look .

You will never find mention in the MSM . Probably because key journalists are bribed as required .

it is thought that Trump took out all fighting troops from Syria to weaken Deep State drug revenue . That was the primary motivation -- nothing to do with Turks , Kurds , Russians etc although that was a superb and relevant cover narrative .

Syria is the biggest producer of some drugs on the planet .

Without wasting time and effort to convince a non existent audience , I recommend you to, Moon of Alabama -- one of the most brilliant investigative voices in the world of independent journalism .

Check it out . They very recently gave full details , sources etc as they do day after day on key area after key area .

That is why I ducked the full answer . I knew in advance anything I wrote would be put on a par with , "I had tea with an Alien last week" .
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Raphael;1526787 wrote: The clear cut evidence of massive CIA involvement with drugs is there if you know where to look .

You will never find mention in the MSM . Probably because key journalists are bribed as required .

it is thought that Trump took out all fighting troops from Syria to weaken Deep State drug revenue . That was the primary motivation -- nothing to do with Turks , Kurds , Russians etc although that was a superb and relevant cover narrative .

Syria is the biggest producer of some drugs on the planet .

Without wasting time and effort to convince a non existent audience , I recommend you to, Moon of Alabama -- one of the most brilliant investigative voices in the world of independent journalism .

Check it out . They very recently gave full details , sources etc as they do day after day on key area after key area .

That is why I ducked the full answer . I knew in advance anything I wrote would be put on a par with , "I had tea with an Alien last week" .

Whose disputing that the CIA is spending drug money whilst destabilising those it sees as harming US interests? I do, however, dispute Thai Obama and Clinton (H) created ISIS.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

If ISIS emerged during their watch and did so because of repeated bad US decisions and poor judgements --- a near unanimous consensus -- it seems rather mealy mouthed to split hairs over responsibility .

That is , Commanders -- BO and HRC -- are completely to blame .

To say that they caused and confirmed the situation but did not create it seems disingenuous . imho
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Raphael;1526871 wrote: If ISIS emerged during their watch and did so because of repeated bad US decisions and poor judgements --- a near unanimous consensus -- it seems rather mealy mouthed to split hairs over responsibility .

That is , Commanders -- BO and HRC -- are completely to blame .

To say that they caused and confirmed the situation but did not create it seems disingenuous . imho

The we must blame Bush and Blair as the rise of ISIS stems directly from the invasion of Iraq and the power vacuum that they subsequently allowed to develop.
Raphael

Post by Raphael »

Those two Deep State puppets started the hoax .

But the two criminals leaving access to equipment and splashing out the big dosh were as mentioned .

Regardless , faces change but the underlying identity and agenda never alters .

Hang two of them , or all four .

The overall charge of culpable stupidity/treason remains .

Return to “Bizarre News Stories”